Clarifications

Spontaneous Circumstances

Here's another one for Miss_Shinee2013. Please enjoy :D

 


 

I took a deep breath as I looked up at the school. I was entering high school this year, and I was suddenly very nervous before walking onto the school grounds. Su Ho locked the car after he had stepped out and he walked up next to me.

 

“Nervous Pippa?”

“Uh, not really?”

 

He chuckled and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, giving a quick but reassuring hug.

 

“Don’t worry Pip, you’ll be fine. It’s just like middle school really, just a little bigger. That’s all.”

“Promise?”

 

I looked at him, still nervous, and he just sent me wide grin.

 

“I promise. Plus, you have me here to protect you if anything happens, all right? Just call me and I’ll be there.”

“All right. Thanks oppa.”

“No sweat. Let’s get going. We need to get our schedules before the day starts.”

 

Nodding wordlessly, I followed Su Ho into school and braced myself for what would come.

 

The first half of the day passed uneventfully. Su Ho helped me get my schedule and then a map of the school, since I was new here. I managed to find my classes and get there on time, so it wasn’t bad. It was kind of like middle school, just I had to do a little more walking. Good thing the passing periods were a few minutes longer. Once lunch came around, I realized that I didn’t really have anyone to sit with. My friends had all gone to a different high school, so I was pretty much alone. Holding in a sigh, I hoped that I would find some friends by the end of this week at least, so I wouldn’t be too lonely.

 

I stumbled upon the school courtyard and decided that it was a good enough place as any to have my lunch here. I saw a few people scattered on the grass lawn but I found that the bench under the gazebo served my purpose well. I didn’t have a blanket to spread out anyway. Unpacking my lunch, I took a bite out of the sandwich I made this morning.

 

“Man, thank goodness it’s lunch time.”

 

Startled to hear the voice, I looked up towards the sound of the voice and met the eyes of another student. He had dyed his hair a light blond color, something very unusual around here, but he looked nice enough. He is face was set with large eyes, a tall nose bridge, and what looked like an easy smile. When he saw he wasn’t alone in the gazebo, his lips shaped into a sheepish grin.

 

“Oh, sorry! I didn’t mean to intrude.”

“No, it’s all right. There isn’t really anyone here except me.”

“Do you mind if I sit?”

 

He indicated to the space on the bench next to me. I shook my head and scooted over a bit to make more room.

 

“Thanks,” he said before walking up and taking a seat.

“It’s nothing, really,” I said softly. Taking another bite of my sandwich, I looked away and tried to look busy.

“This school has changed.”

 

I turned my head back towards the student, puzzled.

 

“It has? Well, I wouldn’t know, since this is my first day here.”

“Me too! Well, technically, not really. I went here during my freshman year, but then I studied abroad the last two years. Coming back feels strange.”

“You studied abroad?”

 

Well, I suppose that explained his hair color. He looked over at me and grinned.

 

“Yeah, couldn’t you tell?”

 

I nearly choked on my food, but luckily I didn’t. He looked worried for a bit but relaxed after seeing I was fine.

 

“Well, I suppose your hair color gave off some sign you weren’t from around here.”

 

He laughed at my comment and shook his head.

 

“You’re hilarious, you know that?”

“Me? Hilarious? Where did you get that idea?”

 

He looked over at me again, and I was surprised to see how attractive he was. Blushing, I turned my head to look forward.

 

“You just are.”

“Thanks, I guess…”

 

I cleared my throat before finishing off my piece of sandwich.

 

“You know you’re also really pretty?”

 

If I had taken a sip of water like I had actually planned to, I would have really choked. I looked over at him in disbelief upon hearing that comment.

 

“Are you joking me?”

“No, why would I?”

 

He actually looked offended for some reason. Seeing his expression, turned my head away yet again, and blushed.

 

“You’re really pretty when you blush too.”

 

That only succeeded in making me blush even more, but I managed to sound collected when I spoke again

 

“Are you a flirt or something? People don’t just go complimenting other people they’ve just met like that.”

“I may come off like that to you, but I’m being sincere.”

 

I took another look at him, and saw that he really was being sincere, so I decided to let it go.

 

“That’s good to know. I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Good.”

“All right.”

“Fine.”

“Great.”

“Is it really?”

“Yes?”

“No?”

“What?”

 

And we broke out in laughter at how ridiculous we were being. The rest of lunch continued in a similar fashion, with him saying something strange and me staring in disbelief. Pretty soon the lunch bell rang, and we both said good bye before going our separate ways.

 

By the end of the day, I was convinced that high school wasn’t too bad, and that I had already made one friend. Thinking back, I remembered we never really introduced ourselves, but chances are that we would see each other again soon, so I didn’t dwell too much on that fact. When I reached the car, I was surprised to see the student talking to my brother, conversing as if they had known each other for years. As I neared, Su Ho turned and saw me, waving me over.

 

“Pippa, come here and say ‘hi’ to Jong Hyun.”

“Jong Hyun? You mean your best friend who went to study abroad?”

 

I looked over in confusion and met the eyes of Jong Hyun, which were just as confused as mine.

 

“Pippa, is that you?”

“Well, if it’s as my brother says, then yeah. Nice to see you again Jong Hyun,” I said with a smirk.

 

Well, he definitely had changed. I suppose his hair color threw me off, and the manner in which he carried himself around me. He never really paid me attention before, and when he did in the past, it was always in a teasing manner, making fun of me.

 

“I guess the school isn’t the only that’s changed,” Jong Hyun said with a smile on his face. He looked over at Su Ho, and then frowned.

“Well, good thing Su Ho is the same. I was afraid I’d be coming home to something entirely different.”

“Yah!” Su Ho said before nailing a punch on Jong Hyun’s arm jokingly.

 

The two talked for a few more minutes before Jong Hyun said he had to head home. After saying ‘bye’ to Su Ho, he looked over at me and smiled.

 

“See you around Pippa,” he said softly before turning around and leaving.

 

“So you already met Jong Hyun, huh?”

“Yeah, we met during lunch break, only we didn’t recognize each other,” I said with a chuckle

“He’s changed definitely, appearance wise anyway. Even I had a hard time recognizing him, but he’s still the same person.”

“That’s good to know.”

“Yup. He told me he was coming back, but I didn’t know he was coming back this soon.”

“Maybe he had a change of plans?”

“Maybe, but it’s nice to have him back. It’s been years.”

 

The rest of the week was relatively uneventful. I made some new friends in class, but I still went out to the gazebo to eat lunch by myself. Well, not necessarily by myself. Jong Hyun would always join me, and we’d talk or trade banter with one another. But this was only when it was the two of us. Whenever Su Ho joined the picture, Jong Hyun would treat me with an air of disinterest, almost ignorance. I didn’t understand why. I didn’t address it at first, but after a few weeks, I decided to ask him about it.

 

“It’s nothing to worry about,” Jong Hyun told me.

“Is it really?”

“Yes, trust me.”

 

He seemed unwilling to discuss anymore of the topic, so I turned to towards something else. As we continued to talk, I was relieved that his previous cold demeanor melted away, and now he was the Jong Hyun that I knew and liked.

 

A few months later, I found myself liking Jong Hyun more than just as a friend. I wanted something more between the two of us. I had a feeling that Jong Hyun felt the same way about me, especially with the increased flirting he was doing with me, and I finally mustered up the courage one day to tell him how I felt.

 

We met for lunch at the gazebo as always, but this time I had something extra. I made him a lunch with his favorite foods, and I hoped that I could give that to him as a token of my feelings.

 

“Hey Pippa, what do you have there?”

“Huh?”

“You okay?”

 

I was too absorbed in my thoughts that I didn’t realize Jong Hyun had arrived, and I flushed out of embarrassment.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You sure?”

 

He took a seat next to me and put a hand on my forehead.

 

“Hmm, you feel a little warm.”

 

I pushed his hand away slowly, shaking my head.

 

“I’m fine, really.”

 

He gave me a look before deciding letting it go, seeing that I didn’t look sick.

 

“So how were your classes so far?”

“They were all right. Same old same old…how were yours?”

“Fine I suppose. I guess I’m finally getting the hang of things now that I’m back.”

“That’s good to know.”

“Is it?”

“Yes?”

 

We laughed for a bit before growing silent. Deciding that it was time, I took a deep breath and turned towards Jong Hyun.

 

“Jong Hyun.”

“Hmm?”

“Here,” I said before handing him his lunchbox. He accepted it curiously, wondering why I decided to make him lunch out of all days.

“What’s this for?”

“I like you.”

“You what?”

“I like you. More than as a friend.”

 

He sighed and handed me back the lunch I had just given him. I just looked at it and then back at him, wordlessly. When seeing that I wouldn’t take it back, he stood up and paced a bit before looking back at me.

 

“Pippa, you shouldn’t do that.”

“Do what?”

“Like me.”

“Why shouldn’t I like you?”

 

He just looked at me and shook his head before turning to leave, but not before saying,

 

“It wouldn’t work out.”

 

As soon as I got home that day, I locked myself into my room and cried. I cried because I made a fool out of myself, and because Jong Hyun believed that it wouldn’t work out between us. Once I stopped crying, I grew tired. I fell asleep and woke up early the next morning, realizing how hungry I was because I skipped dinner the night before.

 

Now that my head was cleared of any sadness, I began to think. I never asked Jong Hyun why he thought it wouldn’t work. He never gave me an explanation before walking away, and I was determined to get it out of him.

 

Only it was really hard to. I knew where his classes were, but I didn’t have much time during passing period to scout him out. When I did catch a glimpse of him, he disappeared before I could reach him. He didn’t come to the gazebo during lunch either, and I couldn’t catch him after school before he left.

This continued for a week or two, and after this long, I began to grow disheartened. Jong Hyun clearly kept it his goal to avoid me, and even though I tried to reach him, he just kept getting further and further away. I still liked him, but I began wondering if it was worth the effort, especially for someone who obviously didn’t want anything to do with me. It got to the point where even Su Ho noticed something was wrong.

 

“Pippa, is there something wrong? You’ve been down in the dumps for a really long time.”

 

I just sighed and looked out the window, remaining silent, not really ready to tell him the cause for my prolonged sadness.

 

“Pippa? Did you hear me?”

“It’s nothing, Oppa. Don’t worry about it.”

“It can’t just be nothing. It’s been two weeks since you’ve been like this Pippa. There has to be a reason, and you’re not getting away with being silent.”

“It’s really nothing. Stop worrying about me.”

“Are you sure it’s nothing?”

“Yes, I’m sure.”

“It’s Jong Hyun, isn’t it?”

“I…what does he have to do with this?”

“You like him.”

 

He nailed it on the head, and I found myself unable to deny anymore.

 

“What’s your point?”

“He likes you too, you know.”

 

Here was when I let out a humorless laugh. Jong Hyun, liking me? That was hilarious.

 

“No he doesn’t. If he did, then he wouldn’t be avoiding me like the plague right now.”

“Wait, he’s avoiding you?”

 

We had arrived home and after Su Ho parked the car in the driveway, I made to get out of the car before he stopped me.

 

“Wait, explain to me why he’s avoiding you.”

 

I looked over at him with an irritated look. I really didn’t want to talk about this right now.

 

“Oppa, if I knew why he was avoiding me, then I wouldn’t be like this right now.”

 

I thought about it again.

 

“Well, maybe I would, but at least I wouldn’t be in the dark about it. I told him how I felt about him and he just told me it wouldn’t work. After that, he left and I haven’t been able to talk to him since.”

“He told you it wouldn’t work? Why?”

“I don’t know!”

 

By now, tears of frustration and sadness made it way down my face.

 

“If I knew, maybe I’d be able to let him go. But I just don’t.”

 

I opened the car door and stepped out before running into the house. Su Ho must have been every confused, but he knew enough to leave me alone, thankfully.

 

However, the next morning, Su Ho woke me up early and told me to dress because he was taking me out.

 

“I, as your awesome older brother, am trying to cheer you up. So, get dressed nicely and meet me in the living room, got it?”

“Oppa, this really isn’t necessary. I’m fine, really.”

“No, you’re not. And I’m going to fix this. Trust me.”

 

With a final grin, he closed the door to my bedroom, but not before opening it up one more time, sticking his head in, and giving me a pointed stare.

 

“I’m serious about this. If I don’t see you in the living room within an hour, I’m going to drag you out of the house.”

 

Then with a cheeky grin, he left me to my own devices.

 

An hour later, I made my way into the living room where my brother was waiting. Seeing me, he jumped up and took my hand, leading me to the car.

 

“You’re going to have a fun day today, I promise.”

 

I managed to give him a smile, glad that he was trying so hard to lift my mood.

 

“Are you sure about that?”

“Of course I am. I’m your brother after all!”

 

We chatted amiably on the car ride, though he refused to tell me where we were going. After a little while, he stopped in front of a small café that we had never been to before.

 

“Pippa, why don’t you go in first and get us a table. The parking here is a bit crowded, so I’ll go find one and then come in later.”

“All right. Don’t take too long oppa.”

“Mm hmm, see you in a bit.”

 

I stepped into the small café and was surprised to see how much I already liked it. The atmosphere was cheerful, and homey. Maybe I wouldn’t mind coming back here again. After saying I needed a table for two, the waitress led me to a small table tucked in the corner, with a window overlooking the street. I waited for a little while but found that my brother hadn’t arrived yet. Sending him a quick text, I looked up and was surprised to see Jong Hyun. He seemed just as surprised to see me.

 

“Pippa? What are you doing here?”

“I…I’m here with my brother. He’s trying to find parking. What are you doing here?”

 

I looked behind him to see if he was with anyone else.

 

“I was supposed to meet your brother here. He said to go to the back near the table with the window.”

“I didn’t know we were meeting you. He never said anything about that.”

 

Suddenly my phone vibrated, and I checked to see a text from my brother.

 

Su Ho Oppa

+XXX-XXX-XXXX

 

Jul 14, 5:21 pm

 

Pippa, I know you and Jong Hyun have some talking to do, so make sure you get everything cleared away today. Tell me when you’re done. No, I’m not waiting outside, so don’t you dare run out. Hwaiting!

 

I slipped my phone into my purse and looked up at Jong Hyun, who was also checking his phone. I suppose my brother arranged this so we could finally get to the bottom of things. After slipping his phone into his jean pocket, Jong Hyun took a seat across me, and we looked at anything but each other for the first couple of minutes before I decided that enough was enough.

 

“How have you been?”

“I’ve been better.”

“Same here.”

 

We both smiled briefly before the waitress came by and took our orders.  Once she left, the awkward silence seemed to return. Jong Hyun seemed nervous, but he finally spoke up after a bit.

 

“Pippa, I need to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting.”

“About time,” I said with sarcastically.

 

He had the decency to look embarrassed. I sighed and prompted him.

 

“Why did you act that way Jong Hyun? Why didn’t you tell me the reason before deciding to ignore me?”

“It was because I was scared of what your brother would say.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s very protective of you, and you may not see it, but amongst his guy friends, he’s always threatening us about the consequences for liking you. I really didn’t mind so much until I actually did fall for you.”

 

I sat back and thought it through. Before I could stop myself, I blurted the words out.

 

“You were afraid of my brother?”

 

His look was sheepish and he reached up to rub the back of his head. Seeing this made me laugh, out of humor and out of frustration almost.

 

“Jong Hyun, you were afraid of my brother? Really?! Shouldn’t you have asked me how I would have felt before deciding that avoiding me would be the best for the both of us?”

“I know! I know I did wrong, and I feel so stupid about it, but I was worried about what your brother would say and about how he would treat you if he knew that I liked you. I’m sorry for the way I acted, and if I could take back these past weeks, I would.”

 

He straightened up and looked at me before saying it again.

 

“I’m sorry, I really am.”

 

This was when the waitress came by with our drinks, and I was glad for the interruption. After she left, I was left to my thoughts. If that was the reason why Jong Hyun was avoiding me, then I suppose it wasn’t bad, but it frustrated me that he acted this way without telling me why, as if my opinion didn’t matter. Still, looking at him, I could see that he could have been better. His hair looked almost unruly under his beanie and his face looked tired, in a frown as he stirred his coffee. It really did like he suffered these past weeks, just as I had.

 

Perhaps he wasn’t really in the wrong. He was worried about his friendship with Su Ho, and about my well-being, so he thought that if he avoided me, everything would be okay for all of us. That everything would be better if he stayed away from me. For my well-being, and Su Ho’s.

 

“Jong Hyun.”

“Yes?”

“I know you’re sorry about what you did, but that doesn’t change anything, does it?”

“What do you mean?”

 

I looked at the tea I ordered and stirred it around while I spoke.

 

“In the end, you still don’t like me. I’m the one who still has feelings for you, so although this explains why you’ve been avoiding me, it doesn’t solve the root of the problem. I’m sorry that you have to deal with that.”

“What? No! That’s not it!”

 

I looked up in surprise at his reaction. He looked incredulous, as if he couldn’t believe what I said.

 

“Sorry?”

“What do you mean I don’t like you? Of course I do! Why do you think I acted in such an extreme matter?”

“You…you like me?”

“Yes, I do,” he said with a softer voice. Reaching across the table, he took my hand in his, running his thumb across the back of my palm.

“I thought that if I avoided you, I could also control my feelings for you. I thought that if I stayed away, everything would be okay. Clearly, that wasn’t true. I still like you, more than ever.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes?”

“Yes?”

“Yes!”

 

And we broke out into laughter, glad that everything had been said and off our chests. Looking at our joined hands, I blushed before looking up at him accusingly, but also jokingly.

 

“You’re an idiot Jong Hyun.”

“I know, I know. You don’t need to tell me twice.”

“Really now?”

“Yes, really. Your brother called me that a million times yesterday when he talked to me.”

“Su Ho talked to you?”

“Yes, he’s the one who arranged this for us, as you know. So we could solve things. He told me that if I liked you, then I would have done everything I could to convince him that I deserved you, not run away like a scared cat. He’s right, though. I went about it all the wrong way, and I’m determined to make it up to you, and him. I’m just glad he’s not so mad at me to prevent that.”

 

I smiled and squeezed his hand.

 

“I’ll be looking forward to it.”

“Me too,” he said with a grin.

 

And so that was how Jong Hyun and I finally got together. I guess it took awhile, and a bit too many tears, but it finally happened. All thanks to Su Ho. Jong Hyun and I can’t thank him enough for helping us. Without his help, who knows if our conflict would have been solved?

 

As for Jong Hyun, he really did try his best to make it up. The following Monday, he surprised me with a homemade lunch, a bouquet of roses, and a card with a handwritten letter inside.

 

“I’m making up, remember?”

 

He told me when I asked what all of this was for.

 

“And I’m asking you out officially.”

“Officially?”

“Yes. So, Pippa, will you be my girlfriend?”

“Hmm, I don’t know. I think you need to try harder….” I said with an unimpressed expression.

 

Jong Hyun pouted and scooted closer to me.

 

“But Pippa, this is only the beginning. Please give me a chance? I’ll do anything!”

“Anything?” I said with a mischievous grin.

 

Jong Hyun seemed to re-think his words and he hesitated before I spoke up again.

 

“I’m just joking oppa. All this is perfect, thank you.”

 

Leaning in, I gave him a peck on the cheek before digging into the lunch that he made for me. He was surprised for a bit before he grinned and put his arm around me, teasing me for what I did. And so that was how the rest of lunch went, and the rest of the school days, with Jong Hyun and I together.

 


 

Phew, that took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I hope you liked it ^^

Please comment, subscribe, and up vote!

<3 WinterRose