Snow Treks

Spontaneous Circumstances

Here's another update for everyone! Enjoy :D

 


 

He was a weird one that was to be sure. He was running on the snowy roads and then sliding, sometimes falling over and catching himself with his fingertips.  After he was done with that, he decided to doodle in the snow. I couldn’t see what he was writing from where I sat in my second floor bedroom, but whatever it was, it made him happy. Following that, he took a handful of snow and bit into it. Hopefully that snow was clean.

 

My family made it tradition to head up to the mountains during the summer, just so we could escape the heat for just a little while. We stayed at a little village almost, with many other cabins around us, and I suppose the person I saw outside was with his own family as well, just he was having some fun on his own.

 

Suddenly he looked up at my window, and I jumped slightly in surprise before looking away quickly. Clearing my throat, I tried to concentrate on my book again, but a burning stare seemed to bore onto my face. Looking over slightly, I noticed that he was still looking up toward me. Seeing that he somewhat had my attention, he smiled and waved.

 

I hesitated before slowly raising my own hand and waving quickly before dropping it. With a lingering smile, he backed up and turned away before walking off into the distance.

 

I woke up relatively early the next morning and decided I wanted to take a walk by myself before the rest of the house woke up. Bundling up and leaving a note in case I didn’t get back before everyone did wake up, I left the cabin quietly before trekking down the road.

 

The air was cold but it was fresh, and I took in deep breaths as I continued my way along. After walking for some time, I neared upon the edge of the woods, and saw a logs placed around a fire pit. From what it seemed, someone had lit it up last night and had some fun singing around the fire. Taking a seat on one of the logs, I stretched out my feet in front of me.

 

“I didn’t expect to see anyone out here during this hour.”

 

My head swiveled towards the voice, and I saw the boy who had been playing outside in the snow yesterday. Well, man would be more appropriate, now that I had a closer look at him. He had thick dark hair that framed his face under the black beanie that he wore. He also had a matching black wool scarf along with a thick tan snow coat. To finish it off, he had dark snow pants and black boots to keep his feet warm and dry.

 

“Haha, uh, I just wanted to get some fresh air before the day started.”

 

He smiled and joined me on the log.

 

“Yeah, me too.”

“Are you here with your family?”

“Oh, no. I’m just here for a break, that’s all.”

“All by yourself?”

 

He chuckled and shook his head.

 

“Nah, I have some friends with me too. But they’re all asleep right now.”

“Ah, I see.”

“I’m assuming you’re with your family, then?”

“Yeah, we always come up here during the summer for a break.”

“That’s cool. I don’t get to travel much, so this is definitely a treat for me.”

“I’m glad to hear that. It’s always nice to take a breather once in awhile.”

“I’m Tae Min, by the way.”

“So Eun. Nice to meet you.”

 

We both looked at each other and smiled before looking at the mountains further in the distance. The sun was rising, so we could see the rays slowly come up in the horizon behind the mountains. I don’t know how long we sat there for, but pretty soon the sun was already shining over the cabins previously casted in shadows.

 

“Well, I suppose I should head back. My parents will be wondering where I am.”

“Let me walk you back.”

“That’s not necessary,” I assured him.

“Please? I want to.”

 

Taking a look at his face, I didn’t have any words to say, so I just nodded shyly. With a smile, he stood up and held a hand out for me. Taking it, I stood up before withdrawing and sticking my hands back into my coat pockets.

 

The walk back was silent save for my footsteps, but only this time I could also hear the sound of his steps next to me. We both exchanged glances as we walked, with me looking away shyly if he caught me at the same time I looked at him, and him smiling amusedly at my reactions. Pretty soon we arrived in front of my cabin, and I found myself sad that it the walk was already over.

 

“Well, this is it.”

“Hmm, this is nice. My cabin is just over there.”

 

He jerked his thumb over his shoulder and I looked across the road to see a cabin a little a ways from mine.

 

“What a coincidence,” I said with a grin. “I guess that saves you the trouble, huh?”

 

He shrugged.

 

“I suppose. I had a nice time walking with you.”

“Me too.”

“Well, I guess this is where we say ‘bye’.”

“Yeah…um... Bye?”

 

He chuckled and raised a hand in the gesture before turning around to walk off. But before he could make it all the way down the driveway, he turned around and started walking backwards slowly.

 

“My friends are going to light the pit later tonight. You’re welcome to join us.”

 

With a last grin, he turned around and walked away towards his cabin. I was surprised by his invitation, but felt grateful for it. Perhaps I would join them.

 

Taking a last breath of the morning air, I walked back inside my family’s cabin. I could hardly wait till tonight.

 


 

What are you all doing this summer? Any fun vacations planned? Or are you all relaxing at home like I am?

As always, please comment, subscribe, and up vote!

<3 WinterRose