Misconceptions

Spontaneous Circumstances

Hello everyone! I received a request from Miss_Shinee2013 and here's the oneshot that I came up with. I hope you like it girl, and please tell me what you think! Your idea was pretty broad, and gave me a lot of room to develop and write with ^^ Enjoy!

 


 

I let out a sigh as I unlocked the front door and stepped inside the house. Today was really tiring day, especially after that meeting with ASB. I as a junior held the position of Secretary, and with the upcoming Senior Prom, there were a lot of logistics to take care of, especially if we wanted everything to go smoothly.

 

What I didn’t expect to see coming into the living room was him and my sister working at the coffee table, papers and notebooks strewn on the sofas, both hard at whatever they were working on. At the sound of my footsteps, both looked up and gave me a smile.

 

“Oh, you’re home Pip? How was the meeting?” Tiffany asked with a smile.

 

My sister Tiffany, what could I say about her? She was the lead cheerleader at our school, and was definitely beautiful. She always had guys swarming around her, but she never gave them another look, claiming that school was most important at the moment. She was also a part of various volunteer clubs, and recently, she told me she was accepted into UCLA, her dream school. There really wasn’t anything bad I could say about her.

 

“It was fine I guess. Lot’s of stuff to take care of before your prom,” I said with a smile.

“I’m sure you’re doing great Pippa.”

 

My eyes shifted towards the person who spoke to me: Choi Min Ho, my sister’s best friend. That’s what she claims anyway. As one of the few guys who Tiffany did associate with, Min Ho was the Star Quarterback of our high school, and his looks were also top notch. Not only did he have an athletic build, he also had the most adorable smile, wavy light brown hair, and the largest doe eyes ever.

 

“Thanks Min Ho,” I managed to squeak out without sounding like an overly obsessed fan girl. Clearing my throat, I turned to head up to my room.

 

“Well, have fun with whatever you two are working on!”

 

And then I scurried up to my room before I had a total mental breakdown.

 

Once safe and sound in my room, I tossed my backpack near the foot of my bed and flopped onto the mattress. Letting out the sigh I had been holding in, I thought back to Min Ho.

 

I had the biggest crush on him, but no one else would know that. I didn’t even tell my closest friends, because I was afraid to hear what they had to say. They didn’t really approve of Min Ho, all of them being focused on school and what not, not really into the sports scene either. Also, I wasn’t the only one who had a crush on him. Practically half of the girls at school had one on him, and I being among them didn’t really stand out.

 

I was Tiffany’s sister, sure, but that didn’t mean I looked half as good as her. My brown eyes were dull, and I was shorter than she was. My hair although long, was a boring shade of brown, and I really didn’t do much with it except shampoo and conditioner. I had no time in the morning to braid or twist it into curls like Tiffany did, since I always woke up late. Thus, most of the time, it stayed stick-rod straight and hung limply down my back. Any other day, it would just be in a low ponytail. I didn’t have much fashion sense either, and my wardrobe consisted of jeans and plain shirts or blouses. No wonder Min Ho never gave me another look.

 

I first met Min Ho three years ago when Tiffany brought him home to work on a project. I was sitting on the living room armchair, sprawled out reading a novel when he walked in and I nearly dropped out of it. I remember feeling horribly embarrassed that he saw me in such a state, and muttered something about doing homework in my room before making my escape.

 

I once asked Tiffany casually one night if she had a thing for Min Ho. She gave me a look and then burst out in giggles.

 

“No, I don’t Pip. He’s just a really good friend.”

“Really? It doesn’t seem that way. He’s always over at our house and stuff.”

“Yeah, but I told you. We’re working on projects, or just homework together. We help each other out and stuff. He needs to keep his grades up if he wants to go to UCLA too, especially for football.”

 

I nodded and decided to leave it at that, afraid that she might think something was up if I kept on asking her questions.

 

Oh, and might I mention that Min Ho is also UCLA bound? He got a football scholarship, so he and Tiffany would be together. The thought of that made my stomach churn with jealousy.

 

I wish that I could talk to him without being awkward and nervous all the time. I wish I could casually hang out with him without revealing my feelings for him. I wish that I was pretty so that he could actually give me a second glance. Maybe then I would have a chance with him.

 

Shaking my head of these thoughts, I sat up. Reaching for my backpack and heading to my desk, I tried to focus on my homework. There was a quiz I had to study for tomorrow, and daydreaming about what could be between Min Ho and me wouldn’t help.

 

I had been engrossed in my work for a few hours when a knock broke me out of my concentration.

 

“Come in,” I said before focusing back on the current math problem I had been working on. I heard the door open and footsteps but didn’t turn around till I finished the problem. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw who it was.

 

“Min Ho?”

“Your sister sent me up to call you down for dinner,” he said with a smile before taking a look around my room.

“Your room looks really nice.”

 

I blushed and coughed, standing up and closing my books, trying to fight my nervousness.

 

“Thanks, I guess.”

 

I went back to organizing my papers before turning around. Min Ho was now looking through the books on my shelf and was thumbing through one.

 

“You read his books?”

 

He held a novel by James Patterson, Sam’s Letter’s to Jennifer. I nodded, surprised that he knew who James Patterson was.

 

“Yeah, you read his books too?”

“Mmhmm, he’s a great author, don’t you think? Well, of course you do, you own his books!”

 

We both chuckled briefly before he placed the book back on my shelf.

 

“I guess we should both head down, huh? They’ll be wondering what took us so long,” He said with a smile.

“I usually come down a little late. Homework and all.”

 

I shrugged and he nodded in response. Standing up from my chair, I saw Min Ho hold the door open for me and I smiled before leaving my room, the both of us entering the dining room together.

 

“What took you so long?” Mom asked.

“Pippa had to finish a math problem,” Min Ho said with a knowing smile as he sat down.

 

I blushed and took my own seat before everyone began eating.

 

What ensued after that dinner baffled me. It seemed like Min Ho came over more often than usual, and he was always the one to call me down for dinner. On the days that he had to go home, he’d still find a way to say hi to me, even if I was holed up in my room.

 

During the day at school, I never really did get to see Min Ho, but now it seemed like he actively sought me out, and always said ‘hi’ to me every morning, and ‘bye’ every afternoon. On days when he had more time, we’d make some small talk as we were both walking to the food court, or on the way to class if it was in the same general direction. I had so much contact with him that I forgot about being nervous, and my crush on him. I just enjoyed the conversations and talked freely with him. I would have liked to think that we were closer now, but I couldn’t really be sure about that.

 

Of course, with prom season in action, many people were slowly getting asked to prom. Many people came in during lunch or break time to borrow our supplies so they could make a banner to ask their friends or significant others out. Others had bouquets of flowers or brought their guitars to serenade their potential dates. It was always fun to see such events, but deep down I hoped that a certain someone would ask me. As soon as the thought came into my mind, it quickly left. That would never happen.

 

One Friday, I finally escaped the meeting room after a session with ASB. Prom was next Saturday, so now it was all about finalizing finishing touches and making sure everything was ready for the big night. Even though we were organized, a few details slipped our notice and it took much longer to get everything straight than I thought it would. I was so glad it was a Friday, so for once I could go home and relax.

 

“Pippa!”

 

I looked up in surprise. Min Ho was leaning against the wall but stood up straight after seeing he had my attention. He walked a little ways up to me with a smile on his face.

 

“Min Ho? What are you doing here? You don’t have practice, right?”

 

Why was he here at school during this hour? I remember him telling me he didn’t have practice today. He chuckled and rubbed the back of his head. He looked almost, nervous.

 

“Yeah, I didn’t have practice, but I had some stuff to take care of. Since I was here, I thought I’d wait for you. You don’t mind if we walk home together?”

“Oh, okay. That’s cool, I’d like that.”

 

I gave him a smile and he grinned in response. And so we set off at a leisurely pace home. We talked about various things, from football, to him going to UCLA, how things were on ASB, what we had in store for prom, and such. I don’t think we ever spoke for this long, but I didn’t mind. When we walked by the park near my home, Min Ho slowed down.

 

“Hey, do you want to stop at the park for a bit? It’s a Friday, so you won’t have to worry about homework, right?”

“Yeah, that’d be a good idea. I haven’t had time to go to the park recently.”

“Let’s go then!”

 

We walked across the grass and took a seat on a bench under the shade of an oak tree. There was an awkward silence for a little bit, but we both looked at each other and smiled it off.

 

“Today’s a nice day,” he said quietly.

“Yeah, it is. Let’s hope the weather is just as nice for your prom next week,” I joked.

“Yeah, haha….speaking about prom…”

“Hmm?”

 

I looked over at him to see he was holding out a card to me. I met his gaze with a curious one, but he kept holding the card out to me. I took it cautiously before giving him another look and then finally opening the card up to read it.

 

Dear Pippa,

                How are you today? I hope you’re doing fine and all, especially with all your school work and ASB stuff. You sure do take a lot on your shoulders. Gosh, I’m so bad at small talk, ahaha. Anyway, I guess I should get to the main point…

                Honestly, I’ve liked you for a really long time. Ever since the first day I saw you in your living room reading that novel. I know I haven’t shown it really well, but it’s because I’ve been really shy. Your sister has helped me a lot, especially these past couple of weeks, and I’ve found the courage to actually talk to you. I guess you might find it weird, huh? Me liking you? You’re so smart and dedicated to school, always doing your own thing and not worrying about what others think about you. I really admire that about you.

                So, I guess what I’m trying to say is, I really like you. And I want to ask: will you go out with me? If not, will you at least go to prom with me? If you say no, then I’ll understand, but I really hope you’ll at least grant me that one wish. If not, then I won’t go with anyone else.

                If you don’t feel the same way about me, then I’m sorry for making things awkward. I do value our friendship, even if it hasn’t progressed that much. I hope that things will still be okay between us if it doesn’t end the way I hope it will.

                Thanks Pippa,

 

                                                                                                Sincerely,

                                                                                                                Min Ho

 

I had to read things over twice to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me. Once I did, and realized what Min Ho was asking me, I closed his card and took a deep breath before looking over at him. He looked really nervous, waiting for my reaction.

 

“Min Ho.”

“Yes?”

“Why?”

 

Now he looked confused.

 

“What do you mean?”

“Why do you like me?”

 

He let out a nervous chuckle as he averted his eyes before answering me.

 

“I just like you Pippa. I like the way you’re so smart and dedicated to school. I like the way you’re involved with ASB, because that’s not an easy thing to keep with. I like how you’re so cute when you’re engrossed in a book or novel. I like the way you follow football and the way you carry yourself. I just like you. Is there something wrong with that?”

“No, but, why me? Why not Tiffany? She’s all that, and more. She’s prettier than I am, smarter than I am, more popular, more—“

 

Min Ho cut me off before I could continue.

 

“No.”

“No?”

“Tiffany is Tiffany, and you are you. Lee Pippa. I don’t see the way you do. I think you’re special, unique, and beautiful in your own way. You shouldn’t have to compare yourself to your sister. Even she thinks so.”

“She does?”

“Of course she does. I always talk about you with her,” he admitted shyly. “She says you’re special in your own way, and she’s sad that you don’t see yourself in that light. I think so too.”

“Oh…”

 

I suppose I had always compared myself to my sister or other people. I never really took a step back to admire myself and take pride in what I did. I did do a lot more than the average student, and it wasn’t like my grades were bad. Sure I didn’t dress as nicely as my sister, but I still held my own, and sure I wasn’t as popular as her, but I could confidently say I had a tight knit of friends that accepted me for me. Looking up at Min Ho again, I smiled, thankful that he saw me for who I truly was, even when I didn’t see it myself.

 

“Thanks, Min Ho. That means a lot to me.”

“You’re welcome…oh!”

 

He hurriedly opened his backpack and pulled out a small box along with a bouquet of flowers. He hesitated before handing them out to me.

 

“Here…it’s for…well, um…”

 

I could see he was still nervous about what he had asked me, but I grinned and accepted his gifts.

 

“Yes, and yes.”

“Huh?”

“Yes, I will go out with you. And yes, I will go to prom with you.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Seriously?!”

“Yes!” I said with a giggle. It seemed that he wasn’t expecting my response.

 

When what I said finally sunk in, he jumped up in excitement and punched the air a few times before sitting back down, and clearing his throat.

 

“Ahem, yes. Thank you.”

 

I was still giggling at his antics before finally settling down and admired the flowers he gave me.

 

“Thank you Min Ho. These are lovely. But what’s in the box?”

“White chocolate macadamia cookies. Tiffany helped me bake them for you. You like those, right?”

“Yeah, I do.”

 

I set the gifts aside before turning towards Min Ho.

 

“You know, I’ve liked you for a long time too.”

“You have?”

“Yeah, I liked you since that first day you visited too,” I confessed shyly before looking at the ground.

 

His hands reached over to grasp mine as he scooted closer to me. Looking up, I saw that his face was inches from mine. His eyes searched mine for permission, and seeing that I didn’t pull away, he leaned in closer until our lips met.

 

We spent the rest of the afternoon in the park, catching up and learning more about each other. When we walked home, our hands were locked together, fingers intertwined and blissfully looking forward to what would happen in the future.

 

As I mentioned, Min Ho and Tiffany both went to UCLA. A year later, I also found myself accepted to the same school. Min Ho and I still continued our relationship, even when he was away at college. We both chatted online every night, and he called when he could. A few years have passed now, and now that we're all in the same college, I could see Min Ho whenever we both didn't have class, and he wasn't too busy with football.

 

"Did you ever think it would end up like this?"

"What would end up like this?"

"Us," I said quietly as we sat on the park bench where we confessed our feelings years earlier. It was summer vacation, and we were all home briefly before starting school again in a few months.

"No, I didn't. I had a crush on your for the longest time, and senior year was when your sister finally put her foot down, saying that if I didn't have the guts to do something about it, she'd tell you about me."

"Really?" I looked at him in shock before bursting out into giggles.

"Really. Your sister is scary when she wants things her way."

"Yeah, but she's the best. I can't thank her enough."

"Same here."

 

There was a silence for a bit before Min Ho spoke up again.

 

"Pippa."

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

 

I looked up at him and smiled, leaning in for a kiss before pulling away.

 

"I love you too Min Ho.

 

He grinned upon hearing my response and hugged me closer. We both fell quiet again, admiring the scenery of the summer day and enjoying the company of each other.

 


 

Well, there you go! I hope you enjoyed it ^^ Feel free to leave a request in the comments or PM me your request. Simply tell me the member you want to be featured with, and the scenario you have in mind, including any details that you want included.

As always, comment, subscribe, up vote, and now, request a oneshot!

<3 WinterRose