Invitation

Spontaneous Circumstances

I was just looking through my phone when this idea popped up. Enjoy!

 


 

It wasn’t anything really. I was just thinking way too hard, like I always do about everything. Some things are meant to be simple, and this was one of them. Why did I have to overcomplicate it? It was just making it so much harder this way.

 

What did he think of this? He obviously doesn’t think the way I do, right? He’s probably just busy now, most likely along the lines of work. He’s obviously not like me, wasting time on things that he shouldn’t.

 

Letting out a frustrated sigh, I dropped my head onto the table before looking up at the screen again, no closer to any decision that I was minutes before. Picking up my phone, I opened up his contact information. I entered his number in hours ago but nothing had happened after that.

 

I mean, getting someone’s number, especially one from a guy that I might probably, actually, really like, is basically an invitation, isn’t it? Sure, it’s not an invite to a party or what not, but it’s like saying he wants to talk to me more, to invite me to be in his company, right?

 

My question was: do I have to contact him first, or do I wait for him? Naturally, when he gave me his number, I returned the favor. But he asked for my number first, so would that mean…? Ugh! See? This is what I mean by overcomplicating things. If all things were simple, my life would be that much easier.

 

The truth was, I wanted to call him first, but at the same time, I didn’t want to come off as too eager. Do guys like bold girls, or is that a big turn off? Does he like it? I clearly don’t know, because if I did, I wouldn’t be struggling over this.

 

Straightening up in my chair, I firmly resolved to make the first move. Who cares if I’m a little eager? Finger hovering over the call button, I moved to press it. However, another thought stopped me yet again: should I text or call first?

 

Groaning, I slumped down again. Sometimes being a little more decisive would be beneficial to me. Seriously, life would be easier for me with that too. Maybe a text right now would be better? I’m not sure if I’m ready for a conversation over the line. I’d probably stumble on every other word, or forget what I want to say. Yes, I’ll send a text. Navigating to the message box, I posed to write a greeting.

 

Perfect, now another problem: what to say?!

 

Hi?

Hello?

What’s up?

How are you doing?

 

Just as I was wallowing in my own self-made hell, my phone vibrated to let me now I just received a new message. Checking it, I nearly dropped the phone in excitement. He just sent me a message! Taking a deep breath, I read it and replied.

 

- Hey, what’s up?

 

Oh, nothing much. I’ve just been agonizing over how to contact you for the past hour or so. No worries.

 

- Nothing really. I was just relaxing. You?

 

Just as I was waiting for his reply, my phone started ringing. Startled, I managed to compose myself before seeing his name, flashing across the screen as the ringtone continued to play. Picking up the phone quickly, I took a another deep breath before swiping to answer the call.

 

“Hello?”

“Hye Rin?”

“Yes, Min Ho. It’s Hye Rin.”

“Ah ha…I just had to check.” Was it me or did he sound nervous?”

“So what’s up?”

“Nothing much here either. I’m just resting after work.”

“I see. Busy day today?”

“It was all right.”

“Oh, I see…” Gee, what an enlightening conversation.

“Hey, um…can I ask you a question?”

 

Aren’t you asking me one now?

 

“Ask away.”

“Are you free tomorrow evening? I understand if you aren’t, I mean. People can be busy…”

 

It was cute how he was rambling, but I decided to cut his misery short.

 

“I’m free.”

“You are?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Do you want to grab some dinner with me?”

“Sure.”

 

Wow, I’m coming off a lot more confident than how I'm really feeling.

 

“Great. Do you want to meet up somewhere, or I can pick you up?”

 

Was this another invitation? It would be nice for him to pick me up…but I don’t know him that well yet. Maybe it’s better to meet him at the location. What if he’s a serial stalker or something? What if…?

 

Great, here I go again.

 


 

Kind of open ended, but I feel like it's better off this way. What would you do?

Please subscribe, comment, or request...it's been quiet lately, and it's really a downer.

<3 WinterRose