Chapter 11

The Unforgivable Couple

After buying the incense, when I returned to the estate, I went right away to father's room to tell him.

Jaejoong: I just returned.

Father: Oh, that was fast. Could you properly buy the "Guinnies incense"?

Jaejoong: Yeah, I got big brother to help.

Father: Help from Yunho.. I see. If that's so, you probably heard the reason I asked you to do the errand.

Jaejoong: Yes..

Father: So the old woman has also recognized you then.

Jaejoong: Hey, father.. I was told that I was also a successor candidate, but is that true?

Father: Of course it is. Since you're my daughter, who's not afraid of what anyone thinks.

Jaejoong: But I can't do management..?

Father: In the Jung Corp, there are many excellent & talented people. You can leave management to them.

Jaejoong: T-then, what should I do?

Father: Just look over everyone as the head of the family. That's what a head of a family is.

Jaejoong: That's..

father: You have teh strong-mindedness of someone who won't be moved by losses & gains. That's indispensable for leading a large family.

Jaejoong: B-but, big brother would hate it if I succeeded. It'd be better if big brother succeeded..

Father: I think the two of you are mistaken about something. I want to leave the Jung family to the both of you.

Jaejoong: Eh?

Father: I'll leave the essential management to Yunho. You would be the face of the group. I want the two of you to hold up the Jung family hand-in-hand.

Jaejoong: Me & big brother, holding up the Jung family together..

Father: There are some people who wouldn't split roles well, but.. I think that if it's the two of you, you'll do it well. Even for Yunho, work would be easier if you stood out in front.

Jaejoong: ...

After that, father continued to speak in high spirits about the Jung family's future. However, I couldn't think it'd be that simple. After talking with father for about an hour, I returned to my own room. Father doesn't understand..He doesn't understand just how wary big brother is of me & my mother..

Yoona: Oh, Jaejoong.

Jaejoong: Eh.. Yoona..

 

I looked up since my name was called. Yoona with perfect make-up as usual today, was walking over to me from the other sideof the corridor.

Yoona: So you were here. How do you do?

Jaejoong: Fine, thank you.. Um.. I think my brother is still at the company..

Yoona: I heard that your father was doing well. That's why I came to visit today to see him.

Jaejoong: Oh, is that so? Thank you very much.

Yoona: Earlier, I met with your mother as well.

Jaejoong: Ah, is that so..

So my mother was here today..

Yoona: I'm surprised. Since she always looks so young, I had her tell me her secret.

Jaejoong: Ahaha..

I'm glad I wasn't there..

Yoona: Your mother said that without moderate stimulus, you'll lose your willpower.

Jaejoong: A-ah..

Yoona: Moderate stimulus.. As expected of her, she said something smart. That's stimulus for your skin, towards life, and..

Yoona seemed to be thinking about something else.

Jaejoong: U-um..

Yoona: Jaejoong, you'll protect that beauty forever, just as your mother is, yes?

Jaejoong: ...

After my mother split up with my real father, it seems that she associated with a number of men. That continued even after she remarried. Is she saying that I'm the same as my mother..

Yoona: By the way, Jaejoong.. About what we were talking about before..

Jaejoong: Eh? Ah, yes..

Yoona: Did Yunho say anything?

I definitely can't tell her he told me not to take her stupid ideas seriously..

Jaejoong: Um, we haven't talked about it in detail yet.

Yoona: I see.. So you haven't told him an alternative reason yet.

Jaejoong: Um, as I thought, I can't lie to my older brother.

Yoona: Eh?

jaejoong: My brother hates things that don't make sense. He is also very shrewd. My brother will definitely realize if I'm lying. I think that it wouldn't help your situation in the end if I lied.

Yoona: ...

Jaejoong: I would like to support you, Yoona.

Yoona: I see.. I understand. There's no way around it.

Jaejoong: I'm sorry I couldn't help.

Yoona; No, I was the one who made an unreasonable request.. I put you in an uncomfortable situation, Jaejoong. I'm sorry.

I'm glad.. I feel a bit relieved.

Yoona: just.. please keep what we talked about before a secret from Yunho.

I felt Yoona's strong determination - she looked like she definitely would not accept a no for an answer.

Jaejoong: Y-yes.. I won't tell anybody, so please rest assured..

Yoona: ..Yes, so Jaejoong, I heard that you went to buy incense?

Jaejoong: Eh..?

Yoona: The Jung family "Guinnies" aloha wood. I've heard it is an extremely special incense that cannot be touched if you are not a member of the Jung family.

Jaejoong: Yes..

Why does she know that..

Yoona: Since you went to go buy that incense.. It means you've been recognized as having the qualifications for succeeding the Jung family.. That's wonderful, isn't it, Jaejoong?

Yoona said that with a smile. However, that smile felt very cold to me. Why does she even know about the succession..

Yoona: Jaejoong, you've become Yunho's rival.. With this, I think Yunho would definitely be in high spirits.

Jaejoong: ...

Yoona: Now, I will take me leave. I hope to see you again.

jaejoong: Yes..

Yoona walked through the corridor, her long hair fluttering behind her.

Yoona: I apologize for intruding. I hope to see you again soon.

jaejoong: Please take care on the way home.

I saw Yoona off to the taxi & then sighed deeply. Yoona took a while to leave. When she finally left, it was after taking her time to finish dinner.

Jaejoong: I wonder if Yoona was waiting for big brother to come home..

When he came home to the estate, his headlights lit up every tree in the yard.

Jaejoong: Ah.. Big brother is back.

Yunho: ..What's up? Did you come to meet me?

Jaejoong: Hehe, you're wrong. I just saw Yoona off.

Yunho: Yoona? She came?

Jaejoong: yeah..

After parking the car in the garage, my brother came back looking sullen.

Yunho: Why was Yoona here again..

Jaejoong: To see father. She came afternoon & just left now.

Yunho: She.. might have been waiting for me..

Jaejoong: Yeah. Probably..

Yunho: I was right to make a stop on the way back. If I came home right away, Id've run into her.

jaejoong: Make a stop?

Yunho: I bought this for you.

My brother handed me a small package.

Jaejoong: Eh? You bought a present for me?!

Yunho: ..Who knows.

Jaejoong: Really?! Thank you! Can I open it?

Yunho: Sure.

When I opened the package, there was a book.

Jaejoong: Um.. "With this, you too can be a lady - A Book of Manners Starting Today". What is this?

Yunho: Exactly what it looks like. You lack the proper 'quality' to be in the Jung family.

jaejoong: W-what! That's not true, right?!

Yunho: You just proved it.

Jaejoong: Ah..

Yunho: Try to act a bit more reserved. There are only three days left.

Jaejoong: Eh? Why are there only three days left?

Yunho: In three days, the two of us are going to Los Angeles. Memorize everything in that book Before then.

Jaejoong: To L-los Angeles..

For me, the words Los Angeles only brought me pain..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Preview of Chapter 12

Jaejoong: Hey, granny, what do you think it means? Regarding how I might succeed..

Yunho: Well.. However, be prepared to be told harsh things.

Jaejoong: Okay..

Then..

Yunho: Hey, are you asleep already?

Eh..? Big brother isn't planning over to come over here, is he..