Chapter 10

The Unforgivable Couple

At noon, since my father ha dcalled for me, I entered my father's bedroom.

Jaejoong: I'm coming in.
Father: Oh, sorry about that, jaejoong.
jaejoong: How are you today?
Father: All right. After pne more week, I should be able to do a  half- set.
Jaejoong: It's still too early for golf. But I'm glad that you're feeling well enough to make jokes.
Father: So don't you worry too.
jaejoong: No.
father: By any chance, Jaejoong, could you do a little errands for me?
Jaejoong: An errand?


  My father handed over a sheet from a memo pad to me.

Father: I'd like you to buy what's written on there. The shop's location is written on the back.
Jaejoong: Guinnies aloha woods.. Is this incense?
Father: Yes. I can't entrust this errand to anyone else.
Jaejoong: I see. Okay, I'll go.

  Like that, I took the memo & went out on an errand. When I reached the street on the map, there was, as indicated, an incense shop. The very old shop front was full of mysterious aromas. This shop has probably been here since a very long time ago. I can feel teh weight of its history..

Employee: Welcome.
jaejoong: Ah, sorry. I'm looking for Guinnies aloha woods.
Employee: Yes, if it is Guinnies aloha woods you are looking for, it is over here.

  When I came to that corner, I was enveloped even further in nice aromas.

Jaejoong: Wow, there are so many varieties. ...Eh?

  Prices like five hundreds & one thousands are just written there normally..

Employee: Is something the matter?
Jaejoong: N-nop, you've prepared some wonderful things for me! ahaha...

  What should I do? I didn't bring that much money...

Employee: Have you decided on the type of Guinnies Aloha Woods?
Jaejoong: U-um, about the incense called Guinnnies.
Employee: Guinnies.. I apologize. We do not handle that brand..
jaejoong: Eh/ U-um, this is the shop on this map, yes?

  I showed the memo my father wrote to the employee.

Employee: Yes, there is no mistake that this is the shop. However, the incense called "Guinnies" is...
Jaejong: I see..

  I wonder if father got the names of the brand wrong.. I excuse myself & took out my cell phone in order to call my father. But I don't want to wake father up.. Ah, big brother might know. I tried calling my brother's cell. When I did, brother picked up immediately, which was uncommon.

Yunho: jaejoong? What's up?
Jaejoong: Um, I went to buy incense since father asked me to, but...
Yunho: Incense?
Jaejoong: But the brand father mentioned isn't here... Big brother, do you know anything?
Yunho: I'm coming there now, so wait.
jaejoong: Eh? T-then the address is...
Yunho: I know it. I'll come in ten minutes.
Jaejoong: Hey, wait, what do you.... Ah. He hung up...

  Since I didn't understand, I decided to do as I was asked & wait. My brother came in about ten minutes, just as he said.

Yunho: You haven't bought it yet?
Jaejoong: N-no.
Yunho: Follow me.
Jaejoong: Eh?

  My brother went into the shop like he was accustomed to it, going far into teh back. In the back of the shop, which was separated by a curtain, an old woman was sitting quietly by herself.

Yunho: It has been a while, granny.
Old woman: Ah, you've become rather manly, Yunho.

  Eh...? Do they know each other..?

Old woman: I thought you would be coming along soon, so I've prepared things.

  While saying that, the old woman took a box made of paulownia wood from the shelf. "Guinnies" was written on the box in cursive.

Jaejoong: Ah! It's "Guinnies"! So it was here...
Old woman: This Madam, if I'm not mistaken,
Jaejoong: I-it's nice to meet you. I came for an important errand. My name is Jaejoong.
Yunho: This is my sister.
Old woman: Ah, so it's as I thought. I thought that you'd come by some time.
Jaejoong: Eh? U-um...
Old woman: Please come by again. I'll be waiting, Jaejoong.
Yunho: .....

  In the end, my brother took the box mad eof paulownia wood without paying & took me out of the shop. While we walked down the street, my brother handed the box over to me.

Yunho: Bring it back. I'm going to return to work.
Jaejoong: Wait a second. Do we not have to pay?
Yunho: Yeah, teh amount for a few decades worth has been paid already.
Jaejoong: A-a few decades worth... Tell me properly what you mean.
Yunho: ....
Jaejoong: Big brother?
Yunho: This isn't any old errand. It's an event related to the Jung family succession.
Jaejoong: Eh...?
Yunho: This aloha wood called "Guinnies". A predecessor - that is my grandfather - had this incense made specially. It won't be sold to anybody not in the Jung family. Employees can't touch it either.
Jaejoong: Ah.. so that's why it had to be me & father....
Yunho: The errand this time was so that that old woman would remember your face. As that of a Jung family member. dad probably contacted her in advance.
jaejoong: So that's how it was... But what do you mean when you say it's related to the Jung family succession..?
Yunho: Up until now, my father himself or I went to buy it. Now, by asking you to get it... It means that dad thinks of you as one of his successors.
Jaejoong: I-i'm a Jung family successor..?
Yunho: Otherwise, my dad wouldn't have asked you.
Jaejoong: T-that's... why would I...?
Yunho: There's no way I'd understand. What's dad thinking...
Jaejoong: Big brother... You're just thinking too much.
Yunho: ....
Jaejoong: There's no way I could succeed when I don't know anything about management & on top of that...
Yunho: On top of that...?
Jaejoong: I'm a child from a previous marriage. There's no way I could be a succeessor when I'm not even related by blood... I... Since I haven't thought about succeeding...
Yunho: ...
Jaejoong: I plan to tell father that straight. So, don't worry about strange things, big brother.
Yunho: If dad's decided, what you want doesn't matter any more.
jaejoong: Eh...?
Yunho: It's the same for me. What we want doesn't matter - he'll decide the Jung family successor.
jaejoong: That's....
Yunho: Whether he'll turn over all of the Jung Corp to me or he'll also entrust it to you. Or...
Jaejoong: Or...?
Yunho: No... There's no point in thinking about it. We won't know until the time comes.
Jaejoong: By that time, you mean..
Yunho: When dad dies.
Jaejoong: ...

  After talking up to that point, my brother stopped teh car.

Yunho: I can't send you home today. Sorry, but go home alone.
Jaejoong: O-okay...
Yunho: The matter about the succeessor isn't just in my hands. How much I contribute to th ecompany already doesn't matter.
Jaejoong: ....
Yunho: However, I don't plan to hand over the Jung Corp to you & your mother. Whatever dad thinks.
jaejoong: Big brother...

  After saying that without looking at me, my brother got in the car & drove off. Left behind there, I couldn't do anything but stand stock still.

 

Preview for chapter 11

Jaejoong: Hey, father... I was told that I was also a successor candidate but is that true?
Father: Of course it is.
Jaejoong: But I can't do management...?
Father: I think teh two of you are mistaken about something.
Jaejoong: Eh?

  The father talks about the future of the Jung family.