Chapter 9

The Unforgivable Couple

Shopkeeper: Jaejoong, have you finished the bouquet for the order already?
jaejoong: Yes! I made five sets.
Shopkeper: What are you saying!? It's supposed to be six!
Jaejoong: Eeh!? I-I'll make that right away!

  I stopped cleaning teh store front & started making a bouquet hurriedly. I worked part-time two days a week at this little florist at the street corner.

Shopkeeper: Aren't you even going to count? Geez, I'd like to see your parents' faces.
Jaejoong: I'm sorry..

  I-I definitely can't let the shopkeeper see them..! The truth was that this florist was funded by the Jung Corp. I found out after I was employed. So that I could hide the fact that I was part of the Jung family under my mother's maiden name. If the shopkeeper knew the truth, he wouldn't be so strict with me..

Shopkeeper: Heeey, a customer's here. Go & see what they want.
Jaejoong: Ah, yes!

  But it might be nice if he was a little nicer to me.. When I came to the shop front, I saw a young customer looking at potted plants.

Jaejoong: Welcome! What are you looking.. eh?
Yoochun: ..Hm?

  When the customer turned around, I saw that he was Yoochun.

Jaejoong: Y-Yoochun!?
Yoochun: Eh? Why are you here, Jaejoong?
Shopkeeper: What's wrong? Did something happen?
Jaejoong: N-not at all!

  So as to avoid my shopkeeper's eyes, I brought Yoochun to the edge of the store.

Jaejoong: Hey.. What are you doing..?
Yoochun: Same to you, Jaejoong - what are you doing? Could it be that you're working here?
jaejoong: I-I am..
Yoochun: Ah, I see. This is one of the Jung chain stores.
Jaejoong: ...
Yoochun: So your dad let you kill some time by working here.
Jaejoong: T-that's not it! I've kept it a secret that I'm part of the Jung family!
Yoochun: I see, I see..

  After listening to that, Yoochun smiled innocently. That was a sign that a fire had been lit in Yoochun's mischievious heart.. Suddenly, Yoochun knocked over a bucket with flowers arranged in it on to his foot.

Jaejoong: H-hey! What are you..
Yoochun: Hey! What's up with this store!
Jaejoong: What..?

  Yoochun suddenly shouted in a loud voice. When he did, shopkeeper, who had been in the back, rushed out.

Shopkeeper: W-what happened?

Yoochun: Hey, old man. Have you taught your employees properly? What are you going to do about this?

  Yoochun showed his foot, which he had soaked himself.

Shopkeeper: T-this is ..?
Yoochun: This girl here did it.
Jaejoong: What? What are you saying! You did that yourself..

  I looked at Yoochun since I didn't understand, and for a moment, he showed me a mischievious smile. Could it be.. he couldn't be planning to reveal who I am...!

Shopkeeper: Hey! What's with how you're talking to the customer! I sincerely apologize! I will bring a towel immediately..
Yoochun: It's not something that can just be wiped off. These shoes & pants are seriously expensive. You can't buy them with your wages, you know?
Shopkeeper: I-if that's so, please send me the cleaning bill..!
Yoochun: Sorry, but I'm not poor enough to be pleased about loose change.
Shopkeeper: T-then, what should I do..
Yoochun: Well, anyway, lend me that girl.
Jaejoong: Eh..?
Yoochun: I'll teach her properly for you.

  At that moment, shopkeeper's mood did a complete about-face.

Shopkeeper: ..Hey, kid. Getting arrogant just cause I was being nice! Who do you think you are!?
Yoochun: ..Eh?

  Ah.. Shopkeeper got mad..

Shopkeeper: Like you said, there's no need for cheap clothes like that! But what do you mean, asking me to lent you my important employee!?

  Even Yoochun was taken aback by shopkeeper, who was talking on & on. Hehe, he's found a match in his mischief-making.

Yoochun: ...Bring it on. If you're going to say that much, I'm going to be serious too.
Jaejoong: ...Eh?
Shopkeeper: Oh, so the kid's gonna be honest, huh. Interesting. What're you going to show me!?
Yoochun: This.

  Yoochun casually took a black card out of his pocket & it in front of shopkeeper.

Shopkeeper: Huh? What about this card?
Yoochun: Maybe the common people haven't seen it before, but this is called a black card.
Shopkeeper: Black card..?
Yoochun: Basically, this credit card doesn't have a limit. In other words, it's a card that can buy anything, whether it's ten million or a hundred million!
Shopkeeper: A-a hundred million..?
Yoochun: I'll buy this store off of you with this card. This is me being serious.
Shopkeeper: Hey..
Yochun: With that, I'll be the owner here. An owner can teach his employee however he wants, right?
Shopkeeper: Stupid.. You can't do something like that..
Yoochun: Then, try contacting the credit card company. They should explain it to you properly. That is, the process which a common person goes through to hand over a store to the rich.

  Yoochun was obviously running widely because he was unexpectedly opposed. However, shopkeeper was also getting cold feet because of Yoochun's bizarre self-confidence & the unit of one hundred million. I-if it's like this, I'll hav eto tell shopkeeper the truth & make Yoochun leave..

Yunho: What's teh fuss?
Jaejoong: Eh? Ah..

  When I looked up, my brother was there with a doubtful expression on his face.

Yoochun: Crap..
Shopkeeper: Y-y-you're.. the Jung president's..!
Yunho: ...

  After looking around to ascertain the situation, my brother suddenly smiled.

Yunho: Hoho.. So the son of MYC Data Transmission wants to takeover a store of the Jung Corp.
Yoochun: ...
Shopkeeper: M-MYC!? So that card earlier was r-real!?
Yunho: Proprietor, how much did he say he would acquire the store for?
Shopkeeper: Eh? Er, well..
Yoochun: One hundred million!
Yunho: One hundred million.. That's a pretty daring proposal.
Yoochun: But that amount includes this employee!

  Yoochun wrapped an arm around my waist & pulled me over while glaring at my brother. My brother will refuse, but my true identity will be revealed.. I won't be able to work at this store anymore..

Yunho: I see. That's not a bad negotiation.
Jaejoong: Eh?
Yoochun: All right! Then, from now on, I'm the owner! I'm closing up shop, so go home!
Yunho: Only.. for the hundred million to be accepted, the MYC president will have to be consulted as well.
Yoochun: T-this hasn't got anything to do with my dad, right..?
Yunho: Isn't that your father's card? Though, I don't think the MYC president, who's a reliable businessman, will accept this transaction..
Yoochun: Crap..
Yunho: If you still want this store under that condition, then come to our head office at once. We'll start discussions right away.
Yoochun: ...Whatever! I don't want this store anyway!

  After Yoochun let go of me, he kicked the bucket he had knocked over & ran off.

Yunho: Really... MYC's prosperity doesn't seem like it'll last long..
Shopkeeper: U-um..
Yunho: That was a of bad luck. However, I do not believe he will come by again.
Shopkeeper: A-ah...

  My brother looked from my pale-faced shopkeeper to me.

Jaejoong: Ah...

  What should I do.. No matter what I say, it'll be revealed that we're siblings..! I couldn't say anything. All I could do was look at my brother.

Shopkeeper: W-what are you doing! H-hurry up & bring out tea!
Jaejoong: Eh? Ah, yes!
Yunho: No, it's fine. Miss.

  M-miss..? Without saying any more than that, my brother picked up the flowers that Yoochun had scattered.

Shopkeeper: P-please do not do that! We'll clean it up!
Yunho: I was just thinking I would like these flowers. Hm...

  My brother exchanged looks with me & called my attention to something without saying anything.

Jaejoong: Ah.. Those are Persian buttercups.
Yunho: Yes, Persian buttercups. My sister likes them.
Shopkeeper: I-is that so...

  Has my brother noticed that I was hiding who I was...? My brother handed over the flowers he picked up while I was still bewildered.

Yunho: Could I have these flowers, 'Miss'?
Jaejoong: Eh... Yes! I'll wrap them up right away!

  I was finished with work after that series of events & I returned to the estate. Ha... Somehow, today was tiring in a lot of ways... In the end, my brother didn't reveal who I was. He brought flowers & went home. Why did big brother come to the store... Why didn't he get angry at me there like usual... I still don't understand... Did he look into where I was working & come to see me.. Eh? When I entered the foyer, I saw the vase at the entrance. In it were the Persian buttercups that my brother had bought.Why did big brother come to the shop today? Certainly, the flower shop I was working at was a Jung chain store. But he always goes to a different florist when he gets flowers for work.. Though it was a shop linked to the Jung family, nobody I knew bought flowers there. That was why Ichose to work there. Despite that, a great number of things happened today. Yoochun tried to buy the flower shop for one hundred million & my brother came just in time... I was worried, but I'm glad nothing happened. Shopkeeper got mad at Yoochun but deferential to my brother.. It might have been a tiring day emotionally, but... Sill, big brother... He remembered that I liked Persian buttercups. What Yoochun did was by no means praiseworthy. However, I was really happy that big brother remembered the flower that I like. I like Persian buttercups because they match my brother perfectly. In the language of flowers, Persian buttercups mean clear & sunny charm, honor & reputation. I thought all of those were perfect descriptions for my brother. So that I could say thank you again, I headed for my brother's room.Knock Knock. A little nervous, I knocked on my brother's door.

Yunho: ...Who is it?
Jaejoong: It's me, Jaejoong. Can I come in?
Yunho: ...Sure.

  There was a short pause. Then, I heard my nrother speak in a rather humorless voice. He doesn't sound like he's in a good mood... While I was regretting that I might have come at a bad time, I opened the door. When I entered, I saw my brother sitting on the sofa & looking through a bulky file. Since there were documents scattered around him too, it probably had something to do with work. I wonder if I'm interrupting his work...

Yunho: What do you want?

  My brother asked me that while looking at me. However, he looked back down at the file without waiting for a reply. As I thought. I'm bothering him when he's busy. I was feeling bad about that when my brother looked at me as if to prompt a reply.

Jaejoong: Um, I wanted to say thank you for today...
Yunho: Thank you?
Jaejoong: Yes, for helping me out at the florist's. You stopped yoochun from running wild.
Yunho: Ah, that idiot. I feel bad for MYC since that sort of guy is the heir.

  When he remembered what happened with Yoochun, my brother breathed a deep sigh.

Yunho: You're lucky I was there today, but... I can't say that same sort of thing that happened today won't happen again. Shouldn't you take this chance to seriously rethink dating this guy?
Jaejoong: ....

  Certainly, Yoochun was an idiot at times, but that wasn't all to him for me. Five years ago, big brother left for America with that misunderstanding still between us. When I was troubled about what to do, Yoochun stayed by me. Back then, there were many times when I was saved by Yoochun's cheerfulness. That's why I understood it wasn't unreasonable for big brother to get mad about today, but... I couldn't blame Yoochun.

Yunho: Jaejoong?
Jaejoong: ...I think that if it were just me today, I wouldn't have been able to do anything. Yoochun gets carried away easily & he's an idiot, but... He's got his good points too.
Yunho: ...
Jaejoong: But I'm really sorry about today. If you hadn't just passed by, I really don't know what would have happened.. And thank you for not telling shopkeeper who I really am.

  I said thanks while bowing my head slightly. Though it was tough working at the flower shop, it feels worthwhile. More than anything, I felt like I could be myself there. I was really grateful to big brother for not snatching a place like that from me.

Yunho: Just passed by, eh.

  My brother closed the file he had been reading & murmured as he looked at me.

jaejoong: Big brother...?

  The expression on my brother's face was so miserable it made it hard to breathe. What's up with him...

Jaejoong: Um, Big brother?
Yunho: Now that you mention it, you came to say thanks about that event at the florist, right?
Jaejoong: Y-yes.
Yunho: And? What are you going to do for me?
Jaejoong: Eh!?
Yunho: Don't tell me you thought you would pay me back only with words?

  My brother muttered as he put down the file & smiled unkindly. Something I should do as thanks... but what should I do...? I didn't think I'd be requested to do something.

Jaejoong: Big brother?
Yunho: I was only kidding - I didn't actually expect anything from you.

  I was relieved by my brother's words. Eh? Right then, I noticed my brother looked a little pale.

Jaejoong: Big brother, are you getting enough rest? You look a little pale...
Yunho: Well, i rest enough.

  My brother answered while looking away, like he was embarassed. Liar - he looks so tired.

jaejong: Hey, is the work you're doing now urgent?
Yunho: Eh? Not really, but... Hey! Jaejoong, what are you doing!

  When I heard that it wasn't urgent, I started packing up the scattered documents.

Jaejoong: f it's not urgent, let's go out for a bit.
Yunho: Eh?
Jaejoong: You should get a change of pace! Come on, let's go!
Yunho: Yeah, okay.
Jaejoong: Eh.

  I was the one who invited him, but... I didn't think big brother would actually agree.I was sure he'd tell me he was too busy with work..

Yunho: As thanks for saving you... Are you going to bring me somewhere taht will be a good change of pace for me?
Jaejoong: Eh, d-don't put so much pressure on me...
Yunho: I look forward to wher eyou're going to bring me.

  With those teasing words, my brother started preparing to head out. Jeez, big brother...

Yunho: So? You brought me here for  achange of pace?

  The place I chose was an arcade.

Jaejoong: There are a bunch of different games here, so it shoukld be good for changing things up, right?

  This was a big arcade, so I felt we would be able to lose track of time while playing.

Yunho: Hm.

  It might have been because my brotrher didn't usually go to arcades, but he was looking around restlessly.

Yunho: Do you come to places like this often? Who do you come with?
Jaejoong: Eh? Y-yeah. Not that frequently... but with friends, I guess?

  There's no way I could tell him tyhat Yoochun was the on ewho told me about this place. That would definitely put big brother in a bad mood.

YUnho: I see... I can't really say this place looks nvery reputable.

  My brother looked at teh people in the arcade & sighed. Maybe it wa sbecasue of the time we came, but teh people in the arcade didn't look very respectable.

Yunho: Dpn't tell me you come to places like this at night,.
Jaejoong: N-no. I usually come withh friends around lunchtime... so there's no reason to worry.
Yunho: That's fine then.. Since you went out of your way to bring me here, let's play as much as we can.

  My brother patted my head lightly & smiled gently.

Jaejoong: O-okay! ooh, how about that? It looks like it's been popular lately..

  I was pointing at a shooting game about escaping from a town of zombies.

Yunho: Shooting at enemies with a gun  shaped controller.. is this fun?
Jaejoong: I thought it was pretty fun. The zombies are famous for being scary because they're realistic.
yunho: It's famous for being scary, so it's popular? I don't really get it.
Jaejoong: It's a game - aren't all games like this?

  I thought you could enjoy games because they were in worlds different from the one you were in. I mean, I don't think you'd really be able to enjoy games that are too realistic.

Yunho: Hm, that's fine, I guess..

  We played teh games together.

Yunho: I can't take this.

  My brother's scores for the shooting game were horrible.

Yunho: I can't take the fact that your scores are better than mine, Jaejoong.
Jaejoong: It's cause I've played a lot.
Yunho: We're playing this again next time. I'm definitely going to beat you.
jaejoong: Big brother, the people you have to defeat are the zombies on the screen.
Yunho: Fine. I'll pretend  teh enemies in the game are you.

  My brother's side profile as he sulked was kind of cute.

Jaejoong: Ah...

  A photo booth that had "newest model" written on teh side of it caught my eye.

Jaejoong: Big brother, want to take photo stickers in that?

  I asked him while pointing at the photo booth. My brother thought about it for a moment.

Yunho: Why not?

  It might be a bit strange for siblings to take photo stickers together, but I wanted to take them with big brother.

Jaejoong: Was today a good change of pace then?

  We decided to not take a car on the way back & walked home. We didn't actually spend that much time at teh arcade. However it was really precious & fun for me. I'd be happy if my brother thought it was fun too, but...

Yunho: Yeah, it was a pretty good change of pace./
Jaejoong: Oh, I'm glad then. Then I've said my thanks properly. But Yoochun really is an idiot. I wouldn't have able to send him out by myself. I'm really glad you happened to come by.
Yunho: I didn't just happen to be there.

  My brother interrupted me.

Jaejoong: Eh?
Yunho: It wasn't a coincidence that I was at the flower shop you work at.
Jaejoong: But...
Yunho: I knew that you were working at the flower shop, so I was worried about whether it was a safe place.
Jaejoong: Are you saying thatyou thought I might have been causing trouble at the place where I work?
Yunho: That's not it. I was worried that there'd be some suspicious employees or weird customers bothering you.
Jaejoong: Big brother...

  I didn't notice taht my brother was worried about me that way at all.

Yunho: I thought that the place fit you well.

  In other words, I wasn't somebody who would have wealthy company. Was he saying that he wouldn't accept it?

Yunho: I don't mean that in a weird way. Even though you can't be getting paid that much, you're working as hard as you can.. Plus, you hid the fact that you're a Jung.. You looked dazzling when you were surrounded by flowers. Just when I thought there were no suspicious guys, that idiot came around.
Jaejoong: Ah...
Yunho: I'm going to say it again. You won't be happy if you date him.
Jaejoong: Eek.

  I was suddenly hugged tightly. It was so sudden that I couldn't react. Big brother... your heart is beating really quickly. I could hear my brother's heartbeat. Listening to the thumping heartbeat, I could tell my brother was nervous. Why is he doing this? Why is my heart beating so quickly?

Yunho: We're brother & sister, right?

  The same words he said to me at teh amusement park came to mind, as if to reproach my heart for thumping. That's right - we're brother & sister.. It's weird for me to be so nervous. Even though I knew it was weird, it didn't stop my heart from beating more quickly.

Yunho: ....

  Hearing my brother's breathing only mad emy heart beat faster. Even though I knew we had to break free from teh embrace. I didn't want to... I let my brother hug me like taht for a while.


Preview for chapter 10

Father: Oh, sorry about that, Jaejoong. By the way, Jaejoong, could you do a little errand for me?
Jaejoong: An errand?

  My father handed over a sheet from a memo pad to me.

Father: Yes. I can't entrust this errand to anyone else.

Yunho: This isn't just an errand. It's related to the succession of the Jung family.
Jaejoong: Eh?