Meeting Byun Baekhyun

My Royal Romance II

I yawned as my mom came into my room. "Oh, you're awake? Can I talk to you?" she asked warmly, using a soft, quiet tone with me. I blinked, but nodded, getting out of bed. After I had properly straightened my bedsheets and blanket, brushed my teeth, and dressed up, I walked into the living room, where my mom and dad were sitting. 

 

"Hey, I'm here. You guys wanted to talk to me?" I asked, looking at the both of them. They sat up straight, and my dad cleared his throat. 

"Can you sit down?" He asked. 

 

"Sure," I answered coolly, although inside, I was dreading what they wanted to say. It sounded bad from their tones and appearances. I wonder if they were grounding me because of something stupid that I did. "What'd you guys want to talk about?" They looked at me nervously, before my dad started to speak out first.

 

"Well, Miyeon, you're 20 now right?" he spoke out, his fingers tapping onto the wooden table, causing a click sound when his nails touched its surface with force.

 

"Uh, you're my parents. You know know the answer to that," I replied awkwardly. Just what were they trying to tell me? It sounded devastating, as if I couldn't hang out with my friends because I was cursed to study 24/7. That would just be plain misery, but if that was the case, my parents wouldn't be all fidgety and stuff.

 

"Honey... I think we should tell it to her straight," My mom urged my dad quietly, squeezing his arm. He looked at her uncertainly, but then cleared his throat again, and faced me again.

"Miyeon." He stared at me sternly.  

"Yes?" I asked, anticipating for what he was about to say. 

"You're getting married." He confessed.

When I heard that and fully processed it in my head, I immediately widened my eyes and my jaw just fell. What's with this marriage talk?! Huh? How come I've never heard of this beforehand?! 

 

"What? Huh? Oh my God, is my fiance cute? How long have I been engaged? Don't tell me this is one of those crazy stories where you guys were in debt and the only thing that got you out of it was to make me get engaged to some guy's kid and then I get taken away and can never see you guys again," I spoke hurriedly, the idea just startling me. My parents gave me a look that said 'what are you talking about,' but waved me off. 

 

"No, why do you think we're that irresponsible?" My dad complained.

"Miyeon, your imagination really does get a little bit wild at times," My mom said, her voice getting higher at the end.  

"Well what did you guys expect? I mean, you made it sound horrible that I was getting married," I sighed, narrowing my eyes. "Anyways, who's my husband?" 

"Uh... Byun Baekhyun." My mom answered. 

"Who's that?" I asked, tilting my head, puzzled. 

 

"I heard he's the Crown Prince's cousin," My dad answered, and after I heard that, I almost fell out of my chair, but luckily, my grip on the armrest secured me in place. Instead, my jaw dropped even more, and my nose was scrunched up, and my eyes were like tiny cresents. Basically, I just looked like I was constipated. 

 

"So you mean I'm basically getting linked to royalty?!" I gaped, pinching myself to see if this was a dream. Well, a sharp, pulsing pain alerted me that I was indeed one hundred percent awake and alive and I was really going to get married to some guy related to the Crown Prince. 

 

"Yeah," My dad nodded seriously, and I almost dove for the ground to start rolling around and crying. 

"No," I whined. "Now I have to shave more!" Maybe I was a little bit crazy that day. 

"What are you talking about, sis?" My little sister, Seoyeon, walked into the living room with a yawn, rubbing her tired eyes. "Is there something wrong?" 

 

"Your sister is just reacting because she's going to get married soon." My mom reassuringly answered, making her way towards her. "Are you hungry?" She reached for a bowl and scooped steamed rice into it, but when she turned to hand it to my sister, Seoyeon's face looked similar to my constipated face, as she stared at my mom.

 

"Married? What the... What the freak?!" My sister burst out, completely taken aback by this easygoing statement. "Oh my God, how come I haven't heard of this until now?" 

 

"It was arranged." My dad answered from where he was. 

Seoyeon paused before continuing to speak. "Oh my God does this mean I'm arranged to marry someone too? Sis, is your husband hot or what because I feel like dad made us marry hobos!" 

My dad looked at her with irritation. "Yah, who do you think I am?" He demanded. "I wouldn't set my daughters up with hobos! You're all crazy." 

 

Seoyeon took the rice bowl from my mom and grabbed some steel chopsticks, before pursing her lower lip. "Marriage at such a young age," she sighed miserably. "So that means that sis is gonna get married when she's still in college?" 

 

"If it means that I get to quit school, I'm all for it," I groaned, remembering the nights where I was completely sleep deprived because of all the projects and assignments that I had procrastinated on. My dad sent me a glare before answering my sister.

 

"I was told that she'll complete her lessons at where she's staying." 

"So like, online school?" I asked, furrowing my brow. 

 

"Yeah. Online school. By the way, later on, we're going to meet your fiance," He answered. Before I could say anything else, my mom had already set the table and placed all of the rice bowls at their established positions, cheerily announcing, "Time to eat!" I ate in silence, and paid more attention thinking about what to do. What if he's like, all disgusting and loud and doesn't shave, so that he already has a beard or something? I mean, I know the Crown Prince is hot, but what if puberty had its period and was being a complete bully to him and now he looked like a rock? I know looks aren't everything, but still. Everyone wants to marry a hot person! 

 

After a while, I had finished every last grain of rice and placed my bowl in the sink carefully. I felt slightly nauseated at the idea of going out to meet my fiance; it just made me so nervous and anxious, I wondered what would happen. Praying that it would end up good, I quickly went over to my room and looked through my closet. Because I was more worried about my mystery fiance, I just put on the first thing I found, which was a white, long-sleeved blouse and a pair of blue shorts. I pulled on kneehigh, gray socks and flopped onto my bed with a huge sigh. 

 

A moment later, my mom silently walked into my room and said in a low, but warm voice, "Miyeon, it's time to go." I just nodded my head, and once my mom had completely left, I sighed again and got out of bed. After brushing through my tousled hair with my fingers, I decided that I seemed to look okay and headed out. My family was waiting in the car, and I quietly put on my sneakers and joined them, climbing into the back. 

 

"You would think that she would try to look more gathered up and excited when meeting her fiance," my dad muttered jokingly under his breath. I pretended that I didn't hear him, and my dad backed out of the driveway, making sure that the garage door was closed, before driving off to the meeting location. 

 

"Hey, where are we going?" Seoyeon asked. 

 

"This fancy restaurant," My mom answered, busily looking over papers. "I heard it's very good." My sister just nodded in silence, and during the whole ride, it was completely silent. My head whirled in confusion and I had no idea what to do when I first meet him. Should I do a ninety degree bow? Or should I just shake his hand? Or what if he was one of those really friendly guys and just chest bump people at first meetings? I kept trying to push him out of my thoughts, but it's kind of hard when you imagine your fiance as a cow because you don't know what he looks like yet.

 

Soon, we arrived at our destination, and I have to admit, the restaurant did look all nice and pretty. It was a simplistic white, but rather vintage; there was a cherry wood deck, and a small river next to it, even with a small garden surrounding it. We all walked inside, and the receptionist asked for our reservation. 

 

"Um... we're with Byun Baekhyun," my dad answered, barely able to remember the guy's name. The receptionist just nodded and snapped for a waiter, who came immediately. He asked us what he wanted to drink, and I just asked for a water, before he led us to the table. Much to my surprise, the boy at the table looked very attractive. He stood up immediately and bowed deeply. 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Byun Baekhyun. I am your daughter's fiance," he said kindly. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm her father," my dad introduced himself, and gestured towards me. "This is Miyeon." Baekhyun smiled widely, showing a bit of teeth. 

"Hey," he greeted warmly.

"Hi," I answered back shyly. 

 

"Why don't we all sit?" Baekhyun suggested, and politely guided us to sit down. After we all got settled down and were comfortable, Baekhyun continued to speak. "Have you ever been to this restuarant? Do you need help with the menu?" 

 

"No need," my mom replied, laughing softly. Because I was his fiance, I was seated next to him, and never in my life have I ever felt more nervous than in this moment. I reached for the menu, and Baekhyun helpfully grabbed it, gently handing it towards me. 

 

"Thanks," I dipped my head a bit to show respect and he just grinned. 

"No problem. You look nice by the way." 

 

"You too," I admitted. Even though he was dressed in a casual T-shirt and jeans, he still did look very hot. Scanning the menu, I saw how expensive the meals were. Baekhyun must've sensed my anxiousness because he replied, "Don't worry about the bill. I'll handle it." I nodded understandingly, and continued to scan the list. Because I wanted to be subtle, I picked the second cheapest from the foods, which was kimchi spaghetti. Once the waiter came by with our drinks, I ordered my kimchi spaghetti, and my family continued to order the more expensive foods, although I zoned them out because it made me cringe thinking about the prices. 

 

"So I heard you're my fiance," Baekhyun started out awkwardly, which relieved me slightly because that alerted me that he was probably about as nervous as I was when I heard about the whole engagement thing. 

"Yep," I replied just as awkwardly. We sat there, our eyes looking at everything but each other. My family decided to pretend like they weren't there and acted like they were doing other things. 

"Hey, let's just start out as friends okay? You're twenty, right?" Baekhyun suggested. 

"Yeah," I answered. "I'm twenty." 

"Okay, that's a start. I'm twenty as well. Uh... well, I'm Byun Baekhyun, born on May 6th; I like food and sleeping." He introduced himself with a smile. I chuckled, and smiled back.

"Hi, I'm Kim Miyeon and I was born on August 12th. I also like food and sleeping." I answered back.

"That's cool, we already have a few similar interests," Baekhyun said. "I hope we get to know each other." He stretched his hand out for a shake, and I gladly took it, already feeling comfortable with him. 

"Me too." 

 

Shortly after, our food arrived, and while I ate, Baekhyun and I conversed, nonstop. We got to know each other a lot, and it really comforted me when he said, "You know, we don't have to get married right away. Let's just talk and hang out before doing that stuff." It's like he feels like same way about marriage and that rushing it is really awkward, so just waiting and patiently doing things one step at a time was ideal. I really think that this isn't one of those cliche marriages where I start hating him and demand that the world be destroyed because he wasn't who I wanted to marry; I really think that I'm starting to like him at my own steady pace.

 

--------------------------------

 

Hi guys! So sorry for the wait; I've been kinda busy and it got kinda bad when I got sick out of nowhere and my tummy was all like "OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS GOING TO END OH MY GOD WHY DO I FEEL LIKE I JUST GOT HIT WITH A BRICK OH MY GOD WHERE IS CHANYEOL THE IDIOT WHEN I NEED HIM" so yeah. (otl) But I hope you like the update, even though it's kind of short! ^^ 

...I'm such a failure as an author LOL. But I'll try to update quicker for you guys! Thank you for reading~ 

 

Also, I'm just going to shamelessly advertise my new fic because I'm a failure author LOL. It features Luhan and Lay and two OCs, and I have a co-author for this (her English isn't the best, but she has a good personality xoxoxo if you're reading this; LOL I feel so guilty now for saying that but anyways). Here's the link: 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/502688/we-re-wolves-drama-fluff-romance-romcom-wolf-exo-ocs

You're not forced to upvote it or anything (those are your own personal rights and I'm not gonna force you to do anything like that LOL), but I would really really love it if you just at least read or subscribe to it. But anyways, thanks for reading, and I hope to see you guys again soon! ^^