Moving On

My Royal Romance II

I sighed as I glanced over to the lovey dovey couple eating breakfast next to me. I tried to eat my eggs, bacon, and toast in peace, but because they were so close, I could hear their conversation clearly, which made me really uncomfortable. 

"Ah, Kris, you have some food on your lip," Yuri noticed, reaching forward to grab her napkin. Kris stopped her by holding her wrist, and she stared at him questioningly, cocking her head to the side. 

"Instead of a napkin... how about you kiss it off?" Kris suggested coolly, and I could hear Yuri squeak. 

"Yah, you idiot..." she quietly hissed, embarrassed. "There's people around us." Damn right there's people around you guys! She flicked his hand off of her tiny wrist, and grabbed the napkin, dabbing it at his pouting lips. 

I tried facing the other way to ignore them, and saw that Chanyeol was flashing me a sympathetic stare. I rolled my eyes, and tried to quickly scarf down my meal. "You know, hyung," Chanyeol started to say, and I turned my head towards him. He looked at me for a moment before saying, "You have some uh... eggs on your lip." 

My face grew red as I got rid of it using my napkin. "Is that what you wanted to say?" I said through gritted teeth. 

"Nah, I just wanted to say that, uh... hm, how do I say this?" Chanyeol brought his hand to his lips, furrowing his brow as he phrased the question in his head. 

"You wanted to say what?" I asked, annoyed. Chanyeol must've sensed my irritation because he formed his words carefully.

"Well, you know... I was just thinking that it's a good time for you to uh, get... married." He said.

My eyes flared open at the idea.  

"Huh? What are you talking about, Chanyeol? You know that I still... I still... uh," I trailed off, not wanting to say the words. 

The tall idiot rolled his eyes. "I know that," he said plainly. "I just wanted to say that maybe you could uh..." He trailed off and mouthed the next words. 

Get over Yuri.

I sighed, and went back to my breakfast. 

"I don't know Chanyeol," I said with a hushed voice, making sure that Yuri couldn't hear me. "I would feel wrong if I married someone and I still liked her." 

"You're never going to get over her. Maybe seeing other girls might get you straightened out." Chanyeol put out bluntly, shoveling his breakfast into his mouth. 

"This needs some thinking over," I mumbled, scooping the last of the eggs and stuffing it into my mouth. "It's marriage, man. I mean, you're not even married yet."

"I don't wanna get married yet," he whimpered like a kid. "I still wanna be a bachelor. And plus, I'm still a child."

"You mean you act like a child. You're not a child, trust me." I put out, biting into my toast.

"But still, hyung. I mean, it's been a year and you're still not over her. Plus, they even had a baby--" Before Chanyeol could end his sentence, a loud wail filled the room. I could hear Yuri muttering in worry and Kris sighing.

"Your Highness, Ace just woke up. He's calling for you," A maid said, holding a small baby in her arms delicately.

"Thank you. Please prepare the milk," Yuri replied, reaching for the fussy baby boy. Ace's arms were flailing around, and he wiggled his weak legs. Kris looked at his son softly, as Yuri held onto him protectively.

I sighed at the sight of Chanyeol smugly smiling at me. "Okay, I know, they're meant for each other. But still... can't time just heal my broken heart?" I asked, clutching to my chest dramatically.

A laugh rumbled from Chanyeol's throat. "No way hyung. You're gonna get married and that's that."

"I can't believe you," I muttered, forking down my bacon and sticking it in my mouth, savoring the salty, yet delicious flavor. "When you get married, I'll be sure to taunt you."

Chanyeol shrugged.

"At least I'm in a better situation than you," he teased, sticking out his tongue at me.

"Yeah yeah," I mumbled, finishing the rest of my plate, and signalling to the maids and butlers that I was done. "Excuse me."

Standing up, I ignored Ace's laughing as Yuri cooed to him, and tried focusing on the ground. Relief spread through me as I finally got out of the dining hall. At least I didn't have to be tortured. Why did I have to like Yuri when I clearly know that she's totally in love with Kris? I mean, they even already have Ace, and they're a picture perfect family.

But at least Yuri got the happy ending that she wanted. Meanwhile, I'm stuck here, single and in a slump. Maybe Chanyeol was right, maybe I did need to marry someone to get over her. I mean, it would be nice to get over her; not that liking her was bad. It's just that she liked someone else and I really had no chance with her. Like, at all. 

I walked around the hallways to clear my mind, and take a breath of fresh air. Thank goodness that there were a bunch of hallways and that no one was around. Even if there was someone around, it'd usually be a maid cleaning. I could really concentrate on my thoughts while doing this. 

Sunlight streamed through the curtains, and I found myself gazing over the garden intently, folding my arms behind my back. I stood, rooted to the spot, as I wistfully remembered when I sat there with... Yuri. Shaking my head violently, I turned abruptly, stalking away. This is not the time, Byun Baekhyun! You need to get over her! Stop thinking incessantly about her. I kept repeating the fact that she was married and had a kid in my head. 

"Ah, Baekhyun-sshi, there you are." I turned to where the voice came from, snapping out of my thoughts. In front of me stood an elderly man who was shorter than me. 

"You are...?" I asked, feeling slightly uncomfortable. I feel like I should know this guy. 

He just laughed, but answered me warmly. "I am merely just an adviser to you." 

"Oh, so like an assistant of some sort?" I asked again, and he nodded. 

"You are correct. Why don't we speak in my office?" The man suggested, and I agreed warily. "It's about important matters." 

I followed him as he led me to a huge room that I never knew existed; well, to be honest, this palace was really big. I didn't really know a lot of rooms here. I needed a map to figure out all of the secret passages around here. "Please sit," the man waved over to a large sofa, and I nodded, before awkwardly sitting down. 

The man smiled, and sat on his own chair, right next to his desk. He brought his attention to a pile of papers, and arranged them neatly before starting to talk to me. "My name is Kang Doojin. I'm your adviser and I've wanted to speak to you about marriage." 

Oh God, no. I groaned silently to myself. Not you too. 

"I just wanted to say that you are in no way obligated to marry. It's a nervewracking decision and I will let you have your own say. It's just that... you're getting slightly older, if that's the right term to use, and it's wise for you to get married." Doojin said expertisely. I narrowed my eyes slightly.

"I'm only 21." I mumbled. 

"Exactly. You're already 21. In America, you would be considered a legal adult already." Doojin answered. 

"But Luhan and Minseok aren't even married yet, and they're older than me," I protested, making Doojin sigh. 

"I don't advise them; they have other advisers. But if I'm correct, they should be preparing to marry soon." He replied.

"But they're not preparing yet." I pointed out seriously. Doojin rolled his eyes.

"Kris is already married. He's been so for about two years already." Doojin countered.

"Yeah, but I'm not Kris..." I mumbled.

"Are you reluctant to get married? I thought that it'd be a nice lifestyle for you. You seem to be ready for marriage, unlike Chanyeol. That boy needs to calm down a bit more," Doojin laughed. "Anyways, I won't force you to get married. It's just that it's advised for you to already settle down."

I looked at him anxiously, unsure of what to say. 

"I... I need to think about this. This is too sudden." I declared nervously. Doojin nodded.

"Very well. I will be in my office if you want to tell me your decision." He replied warmly, as he started shuffling the papers on his desk.

"Thank you," I answered, my throat dry. "Excuse me now."

Standing up, I bowed quickly, before striding out of the room, and closing the door behind me. Sighing, I just walked around the hallways again, focusing on the floor as my legs kicked forward. What was I going to do? I mean, I'm not sure if I should get married yet... It's a tough decision for me. 

If I get married, I could get over Yuri though, just like Chanyeol said. But then again, what would I do if I never got over her?! Confusion swirled through my head as I pondered what to do. At times like these, I just want to roll around the floor in agony. Deciding this is so hard. Blowing out a whistle, I just continued to walk around the hallways. The sun was still streaming brightly through the windows, and I paused a bit to stare out the window. Outside, flowers blossomed from their stems, tree branches waving at nothing because of the wind breezes, and... Yuri.

I bit my lip as I noticed her back, recognizing her familiar frame. I saw Ace gleefully running around the giant, grassy area. His eyes were wide as he searched the place, awed at how much bigger it was than him. Laughing softly at the sight, my eyes softly drew over to another figure. I suddenly frowned a bit as I noticed Kris' arm resting over Yuri's waist, as he laughed embarrassedly at something that happened. I sighed as I turned away; it's no use. Yuri's already married and in love with someone else. I would only be intruding. Besides, she would never think of me as someone more than a close friend. It's hopeless.

It dawned on me as a sudden realization. Well, it wasn't really sudden. But anyways, I realized that I should just get married. There was no hope of me and Yuri ever being together so I guess I should give my love to someone else. And besides, Doojin said it was a good time for me to get married and settled down. Without looking back, I turned around, and started making my way back to Doojin's office to tell him that I was ready to marry someone.

 

----------------------------

 

Hey everyone! So the first chapter is up. I tried making a prologue, but I had no idea what to write about, so you know OTL. 

But thank you for reading! I love you all~ <3