Keeping the Ring

Is It Possible?

Chapter 12 – Keeping the ring

 

The next day, you decided to meet up with Chunji after you had finished your last class of the day, Chunji usually stay at the campus for soccer practice and because they will be having an inter-college tournament, they’re having an extra hour of practice. You decide to wait for him at the bench and watch him practice. You keep on thinking what your brother told you yesterday.

*This is not about me alone but also involving Chunji, I shouldn’t be selfish and I should hear from his point of view too about this matter.*

“Okay! That’s all for today, have a good rest and make sure to watch what you eat. I don’t want any of you to be sick before the tournament.” Coach Kim said and they all give themselves a round of applause for their hard work today.

Coach Kim who saw you sitting at the bench alone, knowing that you’ve been waiting for Chunji, he decides to tease you.

“Ahh! Who do we have here? I’m sorry for keeping Chunji for so long, you can have him now Chaeri-shi” Coach Kim said to you with a smirk. Coach Kim has known you because you’ve been interviewing him for many times for your college newsletter.

Coach Kim then started to walk away but not before he decided to tease Chunji too, “Chunji, don’t make your girlfriend wait for too long” not forgetting to plant a smirk on his face.

Chunji’s teammate doesn’t make it any better, they start cheering for Chunji and ushering him to go to you faster.

“Hi~” since it has been a while since you talked with each other, it’s kinda awkward for both of you.

“Hi there, umm don’t mind them. They’ve always been like that” Chunji had this sweet smile on his face.

“I know, especially Coach Kim” you stated and both of you start laughing.

“So let’s go” Chunji said.

 

~~~

 

Both of you went to a park where there are not many people so you both can sit down and talk properly.

You sat at the swing and Chunji also take a sit at the swing next to you.

Not knowing how to start, Chunji take a deep breath before saying, “Okay, about that night, I’m sorry, I didn’t know what eomma planning like seriously, I’m also very shocked when she said that”

“No, it’s not your fault, you don’t have to say sorry, In fact I was rude for leaving the table just like that, I’m sorry”

“I understand that you’re very shocked about this too; Chaeri, I know this is too sudden so I hope you will think about this thoroughly, I don’t want you to accept eomma’s proposal just because you don’t want to disappoint her, this also involves your heart so think about it.”

“Chunji…” you’re speechless of what he said.

“And one more thing, I don’t want just because of this one particular matter, we’re distancing ourselves from each other and become awkward. It’s kinda weird to not talk to you.” he said with a smile on his face.

“Chunji, this is not right. How about you? This is not only about me, this matter involves you too, involving us, and I want to know what you think about this matter”

Chunji force a smile before saying, “No matter what your decision is, the important thing will be your happiness, if you’re happy then I will be happy too. You’re my bestfriend forever and ever and you know I will always love you.”

You’re speechless of what he just told you and before you can open your mouth to say something he cut you and said,

“Now let’s go, it’s getting late, eomma will get worry” getting up from the swing and picking his bag only realizing that you didn’t get up from the swing so he offer his hand for you to take but you only stare at his hand before staring at his face.

Looking at your slow reaction, he pulled your hand and drags you away from the park.

 

While walking home (to Chunji’s place), Chunji suddenly chuckling remembering back what happened on that dinner. You and Chunji were given a matching outfit, and now he finally knew the reason why, thinking how childish can your Eomma and Oka-san makes him chuckled.

Seeing him chuckling and being the curious you, “what’s so funny?”

“Nothing, I just finally knew the reason why we had a matching outfit for the dinner that night”, he told you.

“Ohhhh~!!! That’s why they force us to wear the clothes that choose!” You both laughing remembering the matching colour outfit that even got complimented by the ahjumma.

 

 

~~~
 

 

When both of you arrived at Chunji’s eomma cafe, Eomma was quite happy to see you again. When she saw you entering the café, she immediately went to you to give a motherly hug.

“Omo Chaeri! I thought you don’t want to see Eomma anymore!” faking a sob while hugging you.

“Mianhe Eomma, I just got busy the past few days” you give her assuring pat at her back.

She was busy managing the restaurant and both you and Chunji decided to help her. After closing the restaurant, it was quite late around 11+pm. It’s finally time to sit down and talk about the matter.

The three of you sit down comfortably with the hot chocolate drinks eomma made for the three of your.

“Chaeri, I know this is too sudden, I’m sorry too. I was too eager to see both of you together and I’m afraid that you will be someone else daughter if I don’t get both of you engage first. But now I think about it too, I don’t want you to stress yourself about this, your mother told me how you’ve been acting for the past few days, and we’re worried about you”

“I’m sorry eomma, I didn’t mean to make everyone worry about me” you started to feel your eyes getting teary.

“Shussh, don’t cry, I won’t force you to make decision now, take your time and think about it carefully” she smile at you.

You wipe your tears before taking something out of your bag, “I don’t think I can keep this as long as I can’t make my decision” You handed her the beautiful jade ring.

Eomma just smiled looking at the ring and you, “No, you should keep it until you have make up your mind, this ring is suppose to go to the lady of Lee family, whether you’re marrying Chunji or not, you will always be a part of our family, so just keep it as a sign you are part of our family.”

“but eomma, this ring is very precious” you look at her uncertain.

“It is precious honey, you are very precious to us. I know Chunji’s Aboeji will be happy too, we’ve always think of you as our daughter that we never had”.

Listening to what she just told you, you had no choice but to keep the ring.

“Thank you eomma, I thought you will hate me for not making the decision right away, I’m sorry, I’m sorry” you keep on apologizing because you don’t know how to repay to such a nice person that you had them to worry about you.

“It’s Okay honey, I’m sure you had a tiring day today so you should go take a shower and sleep, Chunji take her upstairs.”

“But eomma, I had to go home tonight, I had something to do tomorrow” you said not wanting to trouble her and plus you didn’t think of spending the night at the Lee’s

“Now don’t worry, if you’re really sorry then you should stay here for tonight, it’s getting late, I don’t want you to get sick, you can just go back home tomorrow morning.”

“But I don’t bring extra clothes for today,” you tried to find another reason not to stay.

She laughed after hearing what you said, “It’s not like you never stay at our place, you can borrow chunji’s or my clothes for tonight and I already give your mother a call informing you will be sleeping over tonight, so no more excuse its final with a big fat dot.”

With that, you have no other choice but to agree to you Eomma. Chunji was glad that this matter can be solved without any misunderstanding; he was glad you and Eomma get a chance to talk about it. He’s smiling while guiding you upstairs where Chunji and Eomma live. This place is the place where Eomma live before marrying Chunji’s abeoji and were taken care by their neighbor when they leave Korea.