Assignment

Is It Possible?

Chapter 10 – Assignment

 

The next day you come to school still being gloomy.

You’re in your second period of your lesson, Social studies. You sit there staring blankly at the window not bother to listen to what your lecturer is talking about.

“Dear my lovely students, I had received several complaints about students not understanding the importance of roles that each of us hold, the importance of variety in our lives, of how we major in different fields, isn’t that right?” Mr. Kim asked his students while rising one of his eyebrow and holding both of his hand together.

“You’re right Mr. Kim, Chaeri doesn’t know the importance of dancing” Kai pointed out and made everyone turn to your direction. You suddenly felt like someone looking at you so you look up only to realized the whole class are looking at you.

“Are you okay Miss Han?” Mr. Kim eyed you with worried eyes because you always give responses and attention in his class.

You clear your throat before replying to Mr. Kim, “Yes, I’m fine sir”. 

“Okay, back to where I left, understanding the importance of each other. In order to make everyone realize how important they’re to each other I’ve come up with this special assignment…”

Mr. Kim has not yet done but whining from students can already be heard, 

“Noo~ not another assignment”

“Hadn’t we had enough assignment?”

“Please let me finish this first” and with that all students remain quiet so he can continue.

“This assignment is very important step to take once you leave this university and face the world, in order to be successful in your life, you should be able to explore and understand the importance of each fields and roles in our daily lives, for example, you need a doctor to save your life, you need a teacher to teach you, you need a contractor to build a building, architecture to design the building, fellow engineers and so on” Mr. Kim explained carefully.

“Each of us plays different roles and we need to understand the importance of other’s roles so we can respect each other and live in harmony, we always need each other;

Civilizations, we all have civil rights and civil duties” Mr. Kim continued while pointing his fore-finger upward. 

“So your new assignment will be ‘The Importance of Understanding Different Roles from Different Fields’”, he said while writing the topics on the whiteboard.

“So how do we do it sir?” Jina, one of your classmates asked.

“First of all, most of you are majoring in different course right?” Mr. Kim asked with a visible smirk on his place.

“So, I’ve come up with this very interesting idea, you will be in a team of two and your pair must not major in the same course…”

Almost immediately everyone goes around the class to pair up.

“Nu-uh, I’m not done yet. To make it more interesting, I’ve prepared these..” Mr.Kim continues while taking out a box from his bag and opened it. It containing a number of small papers crumble into small pieces. “There are two papers with the same number and each one of you are going to take only one, and people with the same number will be in one team” Mr. Kim talking while explaining to his students.

Some students already whined even more as they’re not satisfied for not being able to choose their own partner for their assignment.

“Do I make myself clear?” Mr. Kim asked in a serious tone.

“Yes” the whole class said in unison.

“Okay so we should start now, starting with you” Mr. Kim point at Namsun because he sit in the front.

He walked and take a piece of paper and open it before he said, “14”

Everyone take turn to take their turn, some take it and return to their sit right after and insist on telling his/her number only after each of us done taking one. 

It was your turn, so you stood and walk to the front of the class to take the paper and went straight back to your seat not bother to look at your paper before going back to your own world.

Soon everyone had theirs and already form a pair. Some are happy while some are sad because they’re not interested in their partner’s course.

Surprisingly, Kai can be seen pretty happy because he didn’t have to pair up with his girlfriend, Mia because she was majoring in Design and Technology; and Kai was not that interested in designing or technology. Kai got paired up with Kyungsoo, who’s majoring in Culinary Art.

Sehun look at his paper and read “5”, and he’s wondering what your number is. Your paper still remain unfold and this is when Sehun saw Youngjae walking to your direction while holding the small piece of paper on his right hand.

Before Youngjae can reach to you, he was blocked by Kai whom had been watching Sehun. 

“Where are you going?” Kai asked him and by that time Sehun also walked up to Youngjae.

“I’m going to go to Chaeri to look for my partner” Youngjae said.

“What’s your number?” Sehun looking at Youngjae’s paper

“Mine is 8, how about you?” Youngjae told him.

Sehun know that he was supposed to partner up with Heejoon, the nerdiest guy on campus because he said his number aloud when he took the paper at the front. And since everyone has pair up except for Youngjae, Heejoon who was too busy with his computer, you and Sehun. Immediately Sehun know that your number is 8.

“Can you switch with me?” Sehun ask Youngjae.

“Why? Who’s your partner?” Youngjae shot back.

Sehun look to Heejoon and Youngjae followed his stare before saying “please No, I don’t want to partner up with him” Youngjae shook his head in disbelief.

“Please~” Sehun begged Youngjae. Kai also help to beg to Youngjae so he can help his friend.

Youngjae reluctantly switch his number Sehun’s, “Fine but only this once”

“Thanks buddy” Sehun pat his shoulder.

Then Youngjae smirk, “I know you like her right, Chaeri?”

Sehun only smile sheepishly in response. 

 

Sehun then make his way to you who are still staring out at the window.

“Hey” he said and these cause you to snap out from your world. You turn around only to face his handsome face. 

“oh, Hey” you said back.

“So what’s your number? Everyone pretty much already paired up”

You then realize you haven’t opened the folded paper yet so you instantly grab it and unfold it. Then you read it once you saw the number, “8” and look back at him.

Sehun showed his paper to you and you saw the same number on his paper. 

“So you will be my partner for this assignment” he smiled at you. You were still in surprised that he would be your partner.

“Okay so it looks like everyone has got their own partner right?” Mr. Kim started.

“So for this assignment, you will be doing what your partner are majoring in, for example if you’re majoring in Historical studies and your partner is majoring in Mechanical Engineering so you need to do what they do in their major. I will give you 2 weeks to do this and each pair must make a report about what you’ve done. Get it?” Mr. Kim asked.

Some students are happy with their while some feels more like a torture.

“Don’t be too sad because you will thank me later because of this assignment” 

He then clapped his hand to get everyone attention, “Okay you may start discussing about your assignment”. With that everyone turn back to their partner to discuss what they have to do.

“So, you’re majoring in Journalism am I right?” Sehun ask.

You nodded and ask him, “Yea, and you’re majoring in Dance?” Sehun nodded with a smile.

You reflect his smile before continuing, “So where should we start?” you take out your notebook to jot things down. 

“Okay, as Journalism major, there are different types of report, what kind of report do you want to do?” you ask him.

“Hmm, I’m not very familiar with the reports and jobs as a journalist, maybe you can recommend me some?” he said.

“Oh yeah, that’s very silly of me. Maybe you can come to my house this Saturday because I have different kinds of reports at home and you can see which one suit you best.”

“Okay, just tell me your address” 

“I’ll text you my address”, with that the bell rings indicating the end of period 2 and the start of period 3. 

You quickly pack your belongings to head to your next class after waving goodbye to Sehun who’s been trying to control himself from being too happy in front of you.