Typical

Be My Smile

       Seunghyun was categorized as a bad boy, recluse, and fatally attractive. He himself thought  he was none of which. In all honesty those words were not something that he wanted to be subjected to. He wanted to be known as carefree and fun loving. Something that deep down in his heart he knew he was, and he blamed the way he looked for it. His peers took one look at his face and saw a mean looking boy; when in reality, he was just thinking.

 

       Involuntarily Seunghyun was a loner. He had no friends; no one to share jokes and laugh with. Being alone almost turned him into the person that every one thought him to be. Seunghyun was an average student he didn't do anything out of the ordinary; he was just someone who wanted to be loved. Every day he had to get up and look in the mirror at the face that didn't match his personality. He would smile but it would be fake and silly looking. His smiles never reached his eyes, which caused him to stop smiling. In the end it was just a circle of rumors and dread that spread around him. All lead to the diminish of his smile. Soon it would turn into a sneer when he looked into the mirror. Soon he would come to hate his looks, and soon he would end up becoming that someone everyone wanted him to be.

 

       Seunghyun got up from bed and lazily threw off the covers. He rubbed his eyes and started his morning routine. Before heading to the bathroom there was always that mirror that didn't dare give him access until he looked into it. Always with a glimmer of hope he stared at it and to his displeasure nothing had changed. He still had those smoky eyes that caused people to look away. The small scowl that told people to go away. Then it was his body; oh god his body, he wondered if maybe he was a little shorter, or if his shoulders were a little less broad that he would be able to fit in. As always he forgot the most important detail about him. He forgot to realize that all that, made him an extremely gorgeous man.

 

       When he was done getting dressed in his painstakingly slow manner, he headed out to the school that caused him so much loneliness in his years there. Walking through the doors with his hands in his pockets and his head down the whispers started. 'Here comes Seunghyun.' 'I heard he was into drugs.' 'Don't let him look at you.' 'He's so mean looking.' 'That guy could kill you with his stare. I'm glad I haven't bumped into him.' On and on people spilled rumors about Seunghyun and said how much they were afraid of him. It made him want to scream at all his peers, but he knew that that would only cause them to continue with their wicked words. He sighed mournfully; he hadn't done anything to anyone in his life.

 

       Silently Seunghyun trudged forward through the hallways. At this point in his life all he wanted to do was blow through this year and leave everything behind. He couldn't be pulled down anymore with the way people were treating him. Except as his high school years would soon be behind him it was also getting harder to endure everything that everyone was throwing at him. Somehow he had a feeling that it would only get worse this year before he had a chance to leave.

 

       Daesung walked along the corridors. It was lunch time and he wasn't hungry. He rubbed his forehead in agitation. All day he had to listen to chit chat and blabbering in his ear. Why couldn't people realize that what he truly wanted was to be left alone. He wasn't into sharing funny stories with 'friends' or hanging out after school. For some reason people thought it was okay to just walk up and talk to him. It wasn't okay; he wasn't like that anymore.

 

       People looked at him and saw someone who he wasn't anymore. He didn't want to smile or laugh or do anything like that. In truth he had a hardened soul and a foul mouth. People always learned the hard away about him. Until they got the cold shoulder or Daesung finally decided to tell them off no one would have guessed that he was like this. No one knew that Daesung's innocence and smile had died a long time ago.

 

       He leaned against a wall and closed his eyes. He just wanted to hurry up and get this day over with so he could pay Youngbae a visit. It wasn't everyday that he got invited over to his place. Actually, it was almost never. All Daesung knew was it had to be important if he wanted him over there. Usually he would be waiting impatiently at the front gates of the school for him. Youngbae didn't go to school anymore, he dropped out to pursue other things. Whatever those things might be.

 

       Daesung got off the wall after checking his watch. The bell would ring anytime now and he wanted to get to class before anyone else did. He begrudgingly walked to his next class and as always the bell rang right before he got to class. He had gotten there even before the teacher could and waited impatiently for the old man to open the door, then shoved passed him when it was finally open. Daesung got to the back row and sat down then put his head down waiting for class to start so it could hurry up and end.

 

       The day had finally ended and Seunghyun was running late. He needed to finish up some last minute assignments so now he had to take the late bus. To his surprise there were a lot of people who were also late and there was only one seat left to take in the back. He sat down and tried to make himself inconspicuous to the guy sitting next to him. Except he failed to realize that that was nearly impossible when you were only separated by a few inches. The guy turned his head and gave him an unamused look.

 

       Nervously Seunghyun stuck out his hand. “Hi, I'm Seunghyun.”

 

       He looked at the offered hand then continued to stare out the window. “I know who you are.”

 

       Seunghyun put his hand down in disappointment. Yet another person who wasn't interested in getting to know him.

 

“Is that so? Then I guess you don't want to talk to me then.”

 

       The guy turned from the window and gave him an agitated glare. “I don't want to talk to you or anyone. Now can I have my peace?”

 

“Can I at least know your name?” Seunghyun turned toward the guy siting next to him.

 

The guy threw his hands up in frustration.

“It's Daesung. There; are you happy now? Can I go back to staring out this window in peace!?”

 

       Seunghyun looked away thoroughly intimidated. At first glance Daesung looked like a nice guy. Unaware, Seunghyun had just thought that out loud.

 

“Excuse me?” Daesung was now staring at Seunghyun with a deep frown.

 

“Uh...yes?” Sung Hyun Couldn't help but to scoot a little father away from Daesung.

 

“What did you just say about me?”

 

       Seunghyun furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He didn't 'say' anything to the guy. Although he was confused about what was happening right now, he knew that he needed to change the subject before this Dae Sung guy decided he didn't want to talk things out. He looked and Daesung and tried to find something else that would grab his attention.

 

“Hey did you get into a fight or something? You have a cut on your lip, and is that a bruise?”

 

       Daesung narrowed his eyes and faced the window again. “Yeah, so?”

 

“I was just asking.” Seunghyun sighed in relief; his stop was coming up.

 

“Oh yeah? Seems like you were just trying to make an excuse to stare at my lips.”

 

       Seunghyun blushed now fully embarrassed. He noticed Daesung reaching down to get his backpack. He hoped that they didn't have the same stop.

 

“Move, this is my stop.”

 

        Seunghyun looked at the street sign and groaned inwardly. He then too grabbed his backpack and walked down the isle to get off. He was about to walk toward his when someone grabbed his arm. Seunghyun jerked away in surprise.

 

        Daesung looked at him like he was crazy. “I thought you were supposed to be some type of tough guy, but really your just a pansy.”

 

       Seunghyun folded his arms and looked down. “That's not all nice.”

 

       Daesung's eyebrow shot up and he cocked his head. “Did I just hurt your feelings?” he held his hands up. “Never mind I don't want to know.”

 

“Then can I go now?” Seunghyun was still a little upset about the insult.

 

“Hold up, do you know where Youngbae lives?”

 

“Who? Never heard of him.” he turned to leave.

 

“Wait, wait, how about Taeyang?”

 

       Seunghyun turned around slowly. “Taeyang? You can't be messed up with him; he isn't...good.” he said the last word with an eerie tone to it.

 

       Daesung rolled his eyes. “Do you know where he lives or not?”

 

“Yeah right down there.” he pointed to a house on the corner.

 

       Not wanting to be standing there any longer Daesung quickly turned around and walked away.

 

       Seunghyun yelled after him. “You know you shouldn't be hanging around that guy!”

 

       Daesung just waved his hand in response. “Whatever.”