...Ouch

Star-crossed

 

Jael’s POV

 

I woke up, feeling all groggy and blur, a headache pounded against the back of my head like I’d just suffered a hangover. I groaned and shifted my body; wrong choice. A sharp sensation pierced through my chest, making me gasped in pain. My eyes blinked rapidly, forcing the tears to retreat as I settled calmed myself down.

 

“Dammit,” I grunted, my body feels weak and I’m really thirsty. Something stirred just beside my bedside. Slowly, I shifted my head, only to see Kai sleeping soundly with his head resting on the bed. Maybe he can feel me staring at him because his eyes twitched and awhile later, he was awake. The golden rays of the sunlight peeked through my curtains, casting a warm, hazel glow on Kai’s eyes.

 

“Morning,” I greeted, painstakingly lifting my arm to brush a couple strands of hair away from his eyes. He blinked away the sleep and grasped hold of my fingers.

 

“Morning, Jael,” he whispered against my hand, lips brushing over my knuckles. I shivered – always feeling like this whenever he does that. But I can’t help but to smile. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Me? Not that bad. How long was I asleep?” I asked.

 

“Not long. Just like five days.” Kai answered sarcastically. My eyes rounded. I was asleep for five days?!

 

“Five days?! That’s long,” I wrinkled my nose and my lips. “Can you pass me some water? I’m thirsty.” I requested and Kai helped me with it. He returned with a glass of water and helped me up on my bed. He sat just beside me while I gulped everything down like a water drinking monster. “Dang I’m thirsty.”

 

“You should continue sleeping.” Kai said, taking the glass from me and putting it on my bedside.

 

“No way. What if I sleep for another five more days?” I retorted, refusing to lie back. Kai chuckled and flicked my forehead gently. I glared at him, flaring my nostrils. This guy will never change.

 

“Well, you can’t do anything now though.”

 

“I can. I don’t feel any pain now.” I said, tilting my head upwards. “I’m strong.”

 

“Lies. Lift your left hand up.” He challenged and I bit my lip.

 

“Why should I listen to you?”


“Because…” Kai looked away and I caught a hint of smile surfacing his face.


“Hah, can’t answer to that, can you?”

 

“I can… I’ll tell you when you come a little closer. It’s kinda embarrassing…” Kai said, ruffling his disheveled hair. I cocked my head to one side, confused by his request but did as I told. My chest hurt though when I moved. A groan escaped my mouth.

 

“What happened?” Kai asked, concerned etched on his face. He touched my shoulder lightly, scared if he put a little more effort he’ll break me or something.

 

“Nothing… So what is that ‘embarrassing’ thing you’re about to say? There’s only us in the room, just say it.”

 

“If you say so,” Kai smirked, leaning closer to me, bringing the gap between our faces nearer. I couldn’t back away – my chest hurts, and so I stayed at my position and waited. I closed my eyes as soon as our noses touched and the next moment, he brushed his lips against mine. Tenderly and softly. My heart raced, skipping too many beats to even count. Carefully, he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer, deepening the kiss.

 

All pain has been forgotten for a short while as I drowned in his full, luscious lips. He touch was gentle and was sure not to harm me. When we pulled back, his eyes were sparkling blue even though his hair didn’t change. Was mine purple? I didn’t know.

 

“Love you, baby,” Kai put his forehead against mine and I can’t help but to cringe at his new endearment that he just called me. It sounded so cheesy but it seems y when it came out from his mouth.

 

“You know… We can’t always be like this forever… What if your Mother caught us in action?” I said, pulling back and leaned against my pillow. He snuggled close to me, still placing his arms around me. It’s forbidden for us to be together. And it hurts whenever I think of that.

 

“Miracles do happen,” he whispered, caressing my hand, drawing repeated circles over and over again. “Things happened over the past five days. I’m not a Prince anymore.”

 

My jaw dropped. “What?!” Another stab hit my chest area. I grimaced.

 

“Don’t be alarmed. I was never meant to be one.” He said. I probed him to tell me the full story and he did, revealing every single incident that happened way before I was born. About how his mom – Ito were best friends with my Mother, Thia and how it ended up now.

 

“So what are you now? Does the rest of the Estrovians know about this?” I asked.

 

He shook his head. “Not yet, only the Ministers, officials and people who are working for the Palace knows about this. We’ll announce it when you’re crowned as the Queen.” I nodded my head, taking in all the information at one go. It’s still unbelievable for me to be a Queen at age of 18. Three months passed and I’m actually, what – ruling a country?

 

Insane.

 

“But I’m not ready to rule yet. Can’t we just let Queen Ito do it first?” I whined, hating the fact that I have more responsibilities to carry at this age. I should be just fooling around, finding dates and going to ridiculous technology orientated amusement parks.

 

“Hmm, it’s possible. We can discuss that with my mom.” Kai pulled away from me and passed me another glass of water after noticing my lips were parched again. I smiled and said thanks before drinking it all again.

Kai stretched himself and let out a yawn. “All right, I’m going to bring some books for you to read. It’s going to be boring being bedridden all day~”

 

I rolled my eyes and slapped his abdomen. “Stop it. I’m going to be well soon. Pass me that miracle pill. I’ll drink it now.”

 

“Nuh-uh.” He wagged his fingers. “Miracle pills will harm your body if you consumed it more than once. So. No.”

 

“God, that’s dumb.” I said, sniffled my nose, thinking of a new subject to talk about. I don’t want him to go, yet. “By the way, how’s L?”

 

“You mean that black guy?”

 

“It’s L, not black or whatever,” I corrected him and he gave me a face.

 

“He’s back in his own hometown, dealing with his own work. I didn’t receive any other news from him other than that.” Kai shrugged his shoulders. I pursed my lips and nodded.

 

“Then what about Dae - ”

 

My room door slammed opened and a guard rushed in rudely. I scowled when he panted heavily, trying to calm himself down and talk. Kai glared at him like he was about to kill him any moment.

 

“What?” he snapped.

 

“K-k-kyungs-s-oo…” the soldier tried but failed terribly. Kai was getting irritated but he told him to breathe first before speaking.

 

“The Test Subjects are waking up. We need you to be there, Lord Kai.”

 

“I’ll be there right now. You may go off first.” Kai ordered, turning back to me. “Sorry, I’ll bring you the books after I deal with that. See you,” he bend down and kissed my forehead.

 

“Wait!” I grabbed his shirt. “What’s going on?”

 

“Remember those people we saw back in the lab? They are waking up.”

 

“Oh my gosh! Daehyun! Wait for me, I’ll go with you.” I said, trying to lift myself up but Kai held me down, furrowing his brows.

 

“No, please. It’s too dangerous and you’re too sick to go. Wait for me here. I’ll promise I’ll be back.” Kai said softly. He sounded like he was begging and I have no idea what’s going on. I blinked and nodded my head again, listening to him for now.

 

He released me and cast me one last glance before heading out of the door. When I was sure that he was long gone, I pulled myself out of my bed and staggered out of the room.