Explanation

Star-crossed

Author’s POV

 

Kai spotted Kyungsoo staggering towards him. Taking a break from shooting the Humans with lightning, he crouched down low and waved for Kyungsoo to move forward. “Kyungsoo! Over here!”

 

Kyungsoo found the Prince and went next to him, gasping as he took in big gulps of air. “Queen Ito is safe. She’s with the girl.” Kai nodded his head and patted his best friend’s back.

 

“Thank you. I think I’ve done enough damage here. Let’s retreat.” Kai instructed, looking around wildly to see whether there’s chance for escape. The Bombs kept coming but from the way it explodes, Kai somehow knew that the Bomb wasn’t the most dangerous one. So even if it hits them, they won’t die so easily. It also means their purpose was not to kill the Estrovians, but to kidnap the Queen.

 

“Come, the Queen and the girl went this way,” Kyungsoo said as they sprinted uphill. The Humans were still oblivious on to what was happening and that led them to safety much quicker. Ahead of them, they saw Kyung Mi piggy-backing the Queen. Kai sighed in relief.

 

“There they are. Let’s hurry up to them.” Kai quickened his pace, happy to be reunited with his Mother. However, he stopped walking so abruptly until Kyungsoo crashed into him when he overheard their conversation.

 

“You’re the long, lost Princess of Estrovia, my niece – Lee Jael.”

 

*What? Kyung Mi or Jael is my cousin?!* Kai took a step back, feeling his own form shifting back to his usual form. His heart felt awfully weird, as if a thousand pair of knives stabbed into his heart, piercing it, shredding it. Without him knowing, a drop of tear or two flowed down his cheek. Kai was falling in love with Kyung Mi. But this truth was too harsh on him.

 

“Your Highness? You all right?” Kyungsoo asked, holding his shoulders with his left hand and his back with another. “You seemed pale…”

 

Kai shrugged him away, pressing his fingers against the bridge of his nose, sorting his thoughts out. The Queen and now known as Jael turned to their direction. Jael was looking quizzical as she still can’t accept the fact that she’s the Princess of Estrovia neither could she accept that fact that Kai was her own cousin.

 

“Kai! My son…” the Queen went up to Kai and gave him a warm hug. “I’m glad you’re safe…”

 

“Yes, Mother. I am so glad that you’re safe too.” He answered back softly, afraid that if he raised his voice a little higher, it’ll crack. His Mother pulled herself back and nodded toward Kyungsoo, acknowledging his presence and then turned back to Jael, waving her forward.

 

“Kai, meet Jael – your cousin.” The Queen introduced. “I’m sure you’ve met before, am I right, Kai?”

 

Kai flickered his gaze to Jael and then back to his Mother. “Yes, Mother. I have. She’s a good girl.” Then, instinctively he glanced at Jael again, and caught her staring at him. Her violet orbs were glittering wildly, with a few strands of brown speckled in it; a mystical colour that even Kai can’t seem to tear his gaze away.

 

“All right, young people. Let’s get going,” the Queen spoke up, patting on Kai and Jael’s back. “Come on, isn’t it weird that an old lady is stronger than y’all?” she chuckled but stopped when she noticed nobody was laughing along with her. “Okay, wrong joke. Let’s go.”

 

Then, Kyungsoo laughed out loud awkwardly. “Man, Queen Ito, you’re funny.” He said between his laughing gaps. He clutched onto his stomach, acting a little bit too over-dramatic. Kai kicked his shins. “Stop being a fool.” He hissed, embarrassed for his friend.

 

Kai straightened up and cleared his throat, his face expression changed back to the usual face. “I apologise, your highnesses. Let me lead the way.”

 

Jael was giggling at klutzy Kyungsoo softly behind, thinking that no one else could hear her. Except for Kai. He felt rigid being around her so he hasten his speed and fell into step with Kyungsoo instead. Jael’s face fell, placing her hand over to her heart area to calm herself down and also to soothe her unexpected heartache. *Why am I feeling like this? Kai’s my cousin, for goodness’ sake.*

 

They made their way back to the gates in silence. Afraid that the Humans would catch up, they didn’t reduce their speed until they reached the gates. The soldiers that were patrolling around the gate stood into their position and saluted when they saw the Royals coming.

 

 “Just let us through, soldiers. Keep the security tight here. We will never know what the Humans had planned.” Kai commanded and the soldiers rose up from the knees and made way for the Queen.

 

“Bring the Royal Carriage over! The Queen is coming through!” the soldier that was stationed on the middle of the gate, controlling and overseeing nearly everything instructed. The Queen was being escorted into her own carriage while Kai, Jael and Kyungsoo had to share one.

 

“Jael? Will you sit with me? I have things to tell you,” The Queen said before she got up on the carriage. Jael smiled politely and went to her carriage instead. Unlike the normal carriage, the Queen’s one was big, sparkly and comfortable. It wasn’t as shaky and bumpy like what she’d imagined.

 

Jael yawned and stretched when she got up.

 

“Tired?”

 

Jael stopped yawning halfway and shut , clearing . “Um, y-yeah. Kinda.”

 

“You may shift back to your normal form, Jael.” It sounded more like a command rather than a suggestion. Nonetheless, Jael obliged and shifted back into her Human form. However, it wouldn’t work – Jael didn’t know how to.

 

“I don’t really know how this whole thing works,” Jael muttered bashfully, scratching her grimy head. She realized she stinks and desperately needed a warm bath. “And it’s not really confirmed that I am the whatever Princess, right? Please tell me it’s right.” 

 

The Queen chuckled, the wrinkles at the side of her eyes deepened. “No, dear. I am sorry but this is the truth. You’re the missing Princess that only I, and a couple of Historians know. I was there when your parents are killed, you see. We were all desperately searching for you, the baby Princess but for years, there were no sign of you. I claimed the throne alone – Kai’s father died when he was 2, and helped maintained the country ever since then.”

 

Jael didn’t say a word as the Queen spoke. She listened to her very carefully, picking up all the traces of her real, biological parents that she never get to meet them. The Queen took a sip of tea before continuing. “Everyone thought that you were, you know, dead. And till now, only a handful of Estrovians knew of the Princess case, and hoped that you’re still alive.”

 

“But – how’d you know it’s me? It can be anybody in Estrovia. Or maybe the real Princess died or something.” Jael tried to bring up all the excuses to prove that she’s not the Princess but the Queen only shook her head and waved my presumptions away.

 

“Jael, you have to know that only your family heritage – your Mom, specifically, is a Special. I am with your Dad’s side so yea, I didn’t inherit that part.” The Queen’s lips twitched ever so slightly when she talked about Jael’s Dad.

 

Jael raised a brow. “What’s a Special? What’s so special about Specials?”

 

“Technically, I’m the first and only Queen without the abilities of a Special – which is controlling all five Magic elements. All Specials are born with ashy white hair and violet eyes. And only Specials could ascend the Queen throne.” The Queen cast a look – was it guilt? Jael couldn’t tell but it was something negative on her.

 

“Don’t worry, Your Majesty. I do not have any weird ideas on claiming your throne. You can have it. I’d rather stay normal.” Jael raised her both hands indicating that she does not want to do anything regarding Royals. Being an Estrovian suddenly was already big enough for her. Now, as a Princess? It was too much.

 

 “That’s reassuring to hear,” the Queen mumbled softly and relieved a sigh that Jael didn’t notice. “Well, I guess we’re here.”

 

The carriage came to a stop and a soldier opened the door opened. Jael stepped out first before they escorted the Queen. “Welcome home, Jael. I guess you’ll be living here for now.”

 

Jael took in the sight of the enormous palace, beside her, Kai and Kyungsoo also stepped down from their carriage. “Yeah, welcome to the Royal Palace.”

 

Jael forced a smile, don’t know whether to be happy or not in a total new environment. And with Kai being her new cousin, she don’t know how things will end up. All she could do for now was move on and… smile.