Pass?

Star-crossed

I managed to swiftly step aside when one of them tried to stab me with his knife; his back was facing me now. Using this chance, I swung my leg across his sides, making him doubled over and in the process knocking the table of bombs. Behind me, I felt the other’s presence coming moving towards me; I hastily reached down my ankle for my dagger and brought it up across his chest. I didn’t unsheathe the dagger so no blood was found but I managed to make him fall.

 

I stepped behind the table just in front of the middle door as I fall into stance, bringing my arms up. Luckily for me, I’ve learnt some basic defense class in case some people decides to kidnap the Commander’s daughter. I heard groans coming out from them and they slowly rise to their feet, lifting their heads up.

 

Horror dawned upon me as I saw that the two persons’ eyes were green in colour – the mystical eye colour of a Estrovian. All of them had beautiful eye colours whereas Humans like me only had simple dull black eyes. I know this because somebody - I don't know who said this before. Their green eyes sparkled wildly even under the bright white light, and I could feel their Aether – their life energy surrounding them.

 

Why did they bring in Estrovians for this test? Are they trying to kill us?

 

The Estrovians hissed and sauntered towards me as if in daze and attempted to stab me again with their knife. But I successfully dodged aside, crawling under the desk. The two Estrovians stopped on their tracks and slowly turned.

 

Somebody must’ve locked their powers because they are only using weapons to attack. I might not be in danger. Taking this chance, I kept my eyes on them while lifting one hand up on the table and felt for a Bomb. My fingers found one and I brought it down, making sure they didn’t notice the bomb in my hand.

 

The small silver object lay on my palm, it’s red button beckoning me to press it. The Chemist was smart enough to make the Bomb such that it will only kill Estrovians and not Humans. My heart pounded in my ears and just when I wanted to activate the bomb, the PA system cackled again, stopping me from doing anything.  “I’m sorry for interrupting but Park Kyung Mi, ID 180777, you passed. Please pass through the middle door.”

 

Dumbfounded, I stepped out of the table, still holding my gaze on the Estrovians who stopped moving. Their eyes still glowed green but I couldn’t feel any Magic around them except for a mild Aether. This is so weird. What in the world is happening?

 

I stepped through the middle door – the only one that hasn’t been opened.

 

More light flooded in as I was being led through the narrow hallway. I didn’t know what to expect. More Estrovians maybe? But how did they bring in Estrovians in the first place? Wasn’t they supposed to kill them at first sight? And by how they acted just now, it seems that they were being controlled.

 

Questions flooded my head, each one of them begging to be answered. The questions are held in bay when I entered a room facing a row of adults. Right in the middle was my Dad, the Commander. Beside him were people that I don’t recognized and they dressed in Guard uniform, looking as strict as ever. Surrounding the enclosed room was holograms of me and the encounter with the Estrovians. I looked at myself on the screen, ashamed that I was actually frightened by them.

 

“Park Kyung Mi.” My Dad’s voice boomed. “Congratulations for passing the test.”

 

I scrunched my brow. “I didn’t actually do anything, you know.”

 

“You did. You managed to defend against them. And between the three Specialist, you chose a Guard.” My Dad explained but that added more questions into my head.

 

“I didn’t. I was just - ”

 

“This test is not for you to kill them. If you were to pick a Guard as your Specialist, you would fight against them first before doing anything else. As for Chemist, they would be able to fix a proper Bomb before the Estrovians attack them. The chip you’re holding just now was actually a part of the Bomb. If you choose being a Doctor, you don’t even need to fight or stay to fix stuff but actually run through the middle door to save your own life.” The whole lot of information took time to process into my brain.

 

“But what if the Estrovian manage to attack us and kill us?” I couldn’t help but to say out those last two words. My Dad didn’t flinch at my question, instead the person beside him answered.

 

“Don’t worry, Miss Park. Everything is within our control. We will not harm our students.” He said, propping his spectacles up.

 

“For now, young lady, you may proceed to your left and join the other trainees. Congratulations.” the female Guard spoke. My gaze averted to her. Amongst all the people here, this female Guard radiates power, almost as great as my Dad. Her eyes looked scary enough to intimidate other Humans and I’m not surprised if she’s one of the strongest.

 

I tipped a slight smile and swept a bow before stepping to the side. All of them seemed wary of me; I could feel their gaze penetrating my back. There are still so many questions left unanswered.

 

Why did they allow Estrovians to be here on Earth? Why?

 

But for now I celebrate. I’m one step closer towards my ultimate goal. My Dad must be proud of me. I am sure of it.