Confusion

Star-crossed

I fell right through the portal and in the next second, I was back in my room balcony. Feeling a little light headed from all that spinning, I took a deep breath before sliding my balcony door and stepping into my room.

 

Today was so crazy. Everything felt like a fairytale. Meeting Kai (gosh, Kai) and travelling to the most forbidden place – Estrovia was such a thrill and yet produces such a dangerous vibe. But there are still so many things I still don’t know about myself. Like why do I have Estrovian’s powers? Does my Dad have them too? That’s impossible. Maybe… Mom?

 

I stripped out of my sweaty clothing and stepped into the shower, trying to sort out my thoughts. What if my Dad wasn’t my Dad? What if – I shook my head; It’s not possible. I grew up here since I was a baby. I can’t be adopted. Impossible, impossible. I chanted in my head.

 

When I was done showering, I wore my PJs and slid under my covers. Even up till now, I was still so confused. Everything is in a mess. Okay, maybe I shouldn’t sleep. Throwing my covers to one side, I climb out of my bed and exited my room. There’s this forbidden level that I’ve never accessed before throughout my life. My Dad used to scare me by telling me ghost stories of that floor. But the more I thought about it, the weirder it gets. Dad doesn’t even go to that level how would he even know whether there’s ghost?

 

The machine scanned my fingerprint and allowed me to proceed into the living hall. The lights flickered on, censoring my movements. I looked around me, relieved that no servants were here at this hour and my Dad probably still in his office dealing with some stuff so the mansion is mine for tonight. I climbed up the stairs; a feeling of trepidation went up my spine as I rounded up into the last corner – the only room in this entire floor.

 

This door doesn’t have the scanner to unlock it - Only an ancient looking doorknob for me to twist it open. I looked at the doorknob weirdly, a little bit confused on how to open that thing. Placing my hands over the cold, metal knob, I rotated it to the right and a soft click was heard. Smiling, I pushed the door opened.

 

Darkness greeted me. Expecting this, I fished out my torch from the pocket of my PJs and turned it on. The room smell like dust and rotten cheese, a really bad stench that choke up my entire nose. I waved my hand in front of me to chase that stench away but when it didn’t work, I kept the air I breathe in thin.

 

I pointed my torch around the dark room and noticed that this room was huge and old. There are children toys in one corner, a television like thing was placed next to it and on the other side of the room was a mini library full of books. What kind of room is this…? The books looked more interesting to me than the toys. It wouldn’t be pleasant if the toys made any noise that would freak me out. With my index finger, I felt the rough texture of the old books underneath my skin and when I lit the book up, the content was totally not what I had expected.

 

“My First ABCs” it read. I pulled that book out and began flipping through the hard printed pages. It’s all about kids’ stuff. Stuff I used to learn when I was two. Maybe this ghost room is just a hoax to scare me. But why does my Dad doesn’t allow me to enter this room? I placed the book back and decided to head back in my room when suddenly I heard somebody approaching to this room. Panicking, I turned off my torch and ducked under a table, staying very still. The door creaked when the person pushed it opened. I clamped my hand over my mouth to stop myself from breathing. Then, I heard a click and the lights switched on. Oh crap, I am so dead…

 

I saw a pair of familiar slippers walking past me, craning my neck up; I saw that it was my Dad who came into the room. His eyes were narrowed into slits as he inspected the room. His legs lingered in front of me and for the first time I thought I felt my heart on my mouth.

 

“I better tell one of the maids to lock this room up. Nobody will disturb my daughter.” I heard him mutter. His daughter? Me?

 

But I don’t own this room. I was forbidden to enter. My eyes followed him as he left the room, turning the lights off. And what is he doing here? Wasn’t he supposed to be in his office? Everything doesn’t make sense. Mom died after giving birth to me. Did I have an elder sis before me? Did she pass away too?

 

What if…

 

What if I was really adopted?

 

If that’s the case, I am in big trouble.

 

**

 

“Kyung Mi – concentrate!”

 

I ducked L’s punch but he managed to catch me turning to his right and landed another kick on my side. I fell on my sides and doubled over, sweat literally dripping from my head. The class watched me fail miserably but non were rude enough to giggle – except one girl. If I’m not wrong, her name was Ara. She’s one of the rarest female guard-in-training and unlike me, she’s realllyyyyy popular with guys.

 

I scowled and wiped the dirt off my elbow, grunting when I spotted a visible red mark swelling just below my arms. L let out his hand and waited for me to grab it. Physical training isn’t going smoothly.

 

“Thanks,” I muttered as he pulled me up. “Again?”

 

L smiled but shook his head. “Not today. You’re not in your best performance. I want you to continue practicing kicks and punches. Next please.” He waved me off and I walked back to my seat shamelessly. It’s true that I wasn’t feeling good today.

 

“Looks like the teacher’s pet is off-form today~” Ara snarled. The boys around her chortled out loud.

 

“Don’t bother yourself with her, Ara. She’s the Commander’s daughter. What if he comes after you?” one replied.

 

“Pfft, I am the third daughter of Lord Kim. Even the Commander respects my Dad’s wishes. He don’t have the balls to do that to me,” Ara scoffed. “After this it’s going to be my turn.” She flicked her eyes to me, “watch and learn, newbie.”

 

I rolled my eyes and faced L instead, ignoring her. People like her are just jealous of something. And being a Commander’s daughter isn’t something I would be proud now. Last time, yes. Now… not so.

 

Without me knowing, I played with the bracelet Kai gave me a few days ago. I was supposed to meet him today. And I can’t wait for our first Estrovian lesson.