Reveal

Star-crossed

We don’t actually know where to start searching but since my Dad and his army just left, we assume that he’s still in the Forbidden Forest and going back to the Human World. Kai didn’t hesitate to open a portal and slip into it, his hand still around my wrist as he pulled me along.

 

“That’s my last portal for today. Can’t activate anymore,” he said after we landed in the Forest. All these moving around and travelling through the portals made me feel dizzy and nauseous but it gets better after awhile.

 

“That’s good,” I said, placing a hand against the tree trunk, regaining my balance. “I rather walk.”

 

Kai didn’t seem to listen to me. He started off without me, trekking up the hills as if he can sense my Dad’s surrounding. I followed him closely behind, afraid that if I stopped and catch my breath, he’ll be gone. Kai suddenly stopped walking and crouched low behind a tree. I nearly stumbled and crashed onto his body but managed to halt in time. “Hey, at least give a warning.”

 

“Shh, I hear something,” as soon as Kai said it, he shifted into his Estrovian form again, preparing for battle. The air around us tensed up, as if sensing his power. The wind picked up speed, blurring my vision for a split second and I had to close them to stop it from piercing my eyes. When I opened them the next moment, Kai was looking even more dangerous.

 

He clenched his fists so tightly that the veins along his arms popped out visibly. His brows slammed down and his lightning blue eyes swirled wildly. The Estrovian mark on his neck glowed so beautifully I had the strange temptation to touch it. Normally I would be drooling by his extreme beauty but this time Kai was different, he was deadly. Scary. Frightening. Like a ravenous predator waiting for it’s prey behind the bushes.

 

Waiting. Waiting.

 

I pedaled back, afraid that if I accidentally offended him, he’ll shock me with his power and killed me instead. But that was a big mistake on itself. I stepped onto a branch and it made a loud crack, shattering the silence that hung above us. Everything happened in fast motion. Kai jumped and lunged for me, his eyes twisted into something darker, as he pinned me against the tree, his fingers closed around my neck.

 

“K-Kai - ” I struggled to breathe. My tippy toes weren’t touching the ground anymore as he lifted me up. My hands made its way up to his, trying to pry his fingers away from my neck. “Kai!” I shouted, kicking my legs against his. Black dots danced in my vision and my time was running out. Gosh, Kai.

 

Kai shook his head and blinked rapidly, as if he was snapping out of his trance. He looked at me again and his eyes widened, quickly releasing me. I collapsed onto the ground, heaving the fresh air as it filled up my lungs again.

 

“Oh God, I’m so sorry, I – Are you all right?” Kai’s voice quivered, he didn’t dare to approach me and I caught his hands shaking too.

 

“Y-yeah,” I croaked, breaking into a coughing fit after that.

 

He ran his fingers through his tousled blonde hair. “Gosh, I’m so sorry. I swear something’s got into me – I was so tensed up, I kinda lost it,” He said softly, apologetic.

 

“It’s,” I coughed. “Fine.”

 

Kai suddenly stiffened up, his arms flexing as he listened to the woods. Then, he crouched next to me and pulled me close to him. He placed a finger to his lips, silencing me before I could question him. I zip my mouth shut and tried taking in small breaths. My heart accelerated, a wave of adrenaline coursed through me.

 

From the distance, I could hear people advancing towards us. Their boots making loud chunking noises as they approached us nearer and nearer. I held my breath as the seconds passed, not daring to even speak. Kai pressed his body against my back and I felt his heartbeat thudding quicker and quicker.

 

“Such a good loots from today, isn’t it, Commander?”

 

That voice. I recognize them. It was L’s voice.

 

“Of course. We won’t have a war against the stupid Estrovians without any preparations. It’s for our experiment… Now that we got the Queen…” The Commander stopped talking. I strained my neck to hear more but Kai held me back.

 

“Somebody’s here. Get your Bombs ready.” My Dad commanded and immediately, I heard the Guards unlocking their Bombs, getting ready to just throw it and explode the entire area, killing all Estrovians.

 

“Come on little Estrovians… Come out and play with us. The more the merrier~ you can join your Queen too.” My Dad taunted, and I felt Kai tensed up beside me. I gotta stop this before things gets worse. Wriggling away from Kai’s grip, I stepped out into the open and revealed myself to my Dad and his entire army.

 

There were more of them than I’d expected. All wearing their Guard uniform that I once had so much respect for but now view them more like some prison shirt. They aimed their Bombs at me but held it down when my Dad told them to.

 

“Kyung Mi? What are you doing here? This is the Forbidden Forest.” his tone was harsh and angry but his eyes displayed otherwise. Shock and somehow, worried? I don’t know. Behind my Dad, I could vaguely make out the shape of the carts that they were pushing. The Queen and Kyungsoo is probably inside and being held captive.

 

“Release the Estrovians, Dad.” I said. “This is wrong.”

 

My Dad started laughing, amused at my sudden outburst. “Kyung Mi-ah, are you dreaming? It’s the Estrovians we are talking about. They are the evil, monstrous creatures that will kill all of us. And you want me to release them? Never.”

 

“No they are not. It’s us, Humans, who are being stupid. Dad, they did nothing wrong.” I defended, raising my voice to prove my point. Beside him, L lifted a brow as he watched this interesting interaction between him and I.

 

“The Estrovians killed us and nearly made the Human Race extinct way back before yours and my time, Kyung Mi-ah. You didn’t know what they did to gain power. What I’m doing now is just peanuts compared to the previous time.” He said, straightening his back. “But now, time has changed. The Humans can finally fight back and reclaim what’s rightfully ours by experimenting their body and learn all the weaknesses of them. It’s our time, Kyung Mi-ah.”

 

I shook my head, angry tears b in my eyes. “No, Dad. You’re wrong. They did nothing. You’re just jealous that they have what we don’t and that is Magic.”

 

“Impossible!” His voice resonated so loud that the trees shook and leaves dropped onto the ground. “The Estrovians rats killed your mom and your sister.” He stepped closer to me, curling his fists around my collar. “And if you continue to be so rebellious, I won’t hesitate to kill you here.”

 

“Is it true that mom and sis died in their hands?” I asked, feeling my throat close up after asking that question. I knew the answer even before he said it. “Is mom an Estrovian?”

 

“No. Of course not. Your Mom was Human.”

 

“Am I – Am I adopted?”

 

He released my collar and took a step back. “How did you know?

 

“Because - ” I tore the bracelet away and threw it on the ground, feeling the familiar surge of power rushed into my body. I flexed my fingers, and lifted up my head up to the Dad that I once knew. “I am an Estrovian.”