First-Aid

Star-crossed

 

Kai is dying.

 

He was in the worst condition possible. He was shivering, probably going into deep shock or maybe the sudden cool air hit us. Throwing another bloody piece of cloth away, I flip him over so that he was not lying against his sides, this time noticing how light he is. In fact, he was too light – so light that I could even lift him up easily.

 

Taking this chance, I carefully lifted him up and half dragged, half carried him into my bedroom and placed him on my bed. While he’s on my bed, I rummaged through my cabinet and took out a long clean cloth, wrapping it around his torso as tightly as I could, trying to put as much pressure on the wounds as possible. 

 

I was covered in both blood and sweat and seriously, I look as if I was badly injured too. I quickly dismissed the servant who called me down for dinner in case she noticed something was amiss and reported it to my Dad. It’s been three hours since then and I’m running out of clean cloths to change and he’s still feeling awfully hot.

 

I need aspirin to reduce his temperature. Why didn’t I think of it earlier?

 

I cleaned myself first before heading down to the kitchen but since there wasn’t that much time, I didn’t bother. Fortunately, most of the staffs were having their dinner and I made into the kitchen without being noticed by anybody. I grabbed a bottle of aspirin and a glass of water from the kitchen table. While proceeding up to my room, I came across the first aid room and nearly broke down in tears after finding it. Taking two bags of first aid kit, I hurried up the stairs.

 

I placed the glass of water beside the bed first before doing the rest. Kai’s dark brown hair was plastered to his forehead; his breathing was still strenuous, still heaving.

 

“Kai,” I tried to shake him again, seeing if he’s still awake so that I could let him drink the pill. “Kai.”

 

I tried calling a few times but he just lay there like a burning piece of rock, totally unresponsive. Biting down on my lip, I moved to sit on the bed, slightly pushing him away to give me a wider berth and then lifted his head up, popped the two pills into his mouth and poured the water in it. When I was curtained that he swallowed the pills, I gently placed his head back on the pillow.

 

That night was disastrous for me. I spend every hour changing his bandage not knowing whether what I’m doing now was right. I just did what my instincts told me to do.

 

Two days passed just like that. Luckily it was the weekends and I had the reason to stay at home. I told the servant to bring my food up and not disturb me at all.

 

Kai didn’t wake up, he slept all the way and his bleeding kind of stopped. I think Kai indeed has some supernatural healing abilities. His fever has gone down rapidly after drinking the aspirin and his face wasn’t as pale as before. The bruises that he had suffered were long gone.

 

Except for his wound.

 

I load up my Tracker and texted Daehyun, asking him if everything was all right over at his side.

 

Message from Daehyun:

 

Oh my God! Kyung Mi-ah! I thought you were dead or something! Why didn’t you answer my calls? Call me now.

 

Sensing the urgency, I turned my communicator on and dialed his number. He picked it up on the second ring.

 

“Kyung Mi!” Daehyun’s tone was serious, like something deadly has happened. I should’ve known.

 

“Daehyun, do you know what is happening?”

 

“Oh God, you mean you don’t know what’s going on? What have you been doing?! Nevermind,” I could picture him shaking his head exasperatedly while talking to me. “We’ve declared a war to the Estrovians. I have no idea why I can’t call you but you can contact me but the situation is really bad.”

 

Horror dawned upon me, my fingers trembled. War?

 

“How bad?” I croaked, trying hard not to break down in tears.

 

“I don’t know. But don’t worry. The Estrovians are losing. Ugh, I thought you went to the Forbidden Forest or something. I was so worried. My parents forbid me to leave my house if not I could’ve found you.”

 

“Yeah,” I said, calming down my breaths. “I’ll call you back in a while.”

 

“No. Kyung Mi – Don’t tell me you’re going to do something stupid. I can hear it in your voice.”

 

Daehyun knows me too well.

 

“Yes, I am. I’m going to find my Dad, now. The war has to stop.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Long story, Daehyun. Got to go. Bye. Love you.” I hung up the call and started dialing my Dad’s communicator. He didn’t pick up and I was getting fidgety. First off, Estrovia did nothing wrong and oh gosh, and what did they do to deserve this? I pulled my jacket on and wore my boots. I slipped a small dagger inside my boots there and was about to leave when Kai let out a sound.

 

I darted to his side, kneeled just beside the bed. “Kai?” He opened his eyes blearily, blinked a few times, his brows slamming down as if he’s still in pain.

 

“W-ater.” He wheezed.

 

I poured him a glass of water and lifted him up carefully. “Here,” I said. He drank slowly but finished up everything in one go.

 

“How do you feel?” I asked, placing him back on the bed. He let out an audible wince and I couldn’t help but cringe too.

 

“Just sleepy.” He said, the colour on his face returned and it seems like he had the strength to talk now.

 

“How did you end up here?” I went straight to the point since I have no idea when’s he’s going to pass out on me again.

 

“My portal has a memory record. It’ll transport me to the place the previous person went. And since I was half dying, I just went in without a specific destination. Didn’t know it’ll bring me to the Human World.” He said, occasionally slurring his words.

 

“Who sliced you?” Those words blurted out of my mouth without me realizing it. Kai studied me, his brown orbs boring into mine. He doesn’t have to say it and I knew. I knew who stabbed him.

 

“Your Dad.”

 

“My Dad.”

 

We both said it together at the same time. I looked away, ashamed to meet his gaze. My Dad did this. He created all these. What for?

 

“Kyung Mi-ah, look at me.” Kai called softly. “It’s not your fault, really. It’s just – I think they planned it long before.”

 

“Planned? What do you mean?”

 

“18 years ago your Dad and his army wiped out the entire monarchy system. The King, Queen and newborn baby Princess died that time. It was a planned assassination but it was weird. They didn’t bother to kill the citizens. Maybe they aren’t prepared during that time. But now, it’s different. It seems like they are trying to have a full-fledge war with us.”

 

He paused, catching his breath and drinking another glass of water before continuing. “But for now, we need to go back to Estrovia. I need to check on my Mother and to cure this irritating wound.” Kai reached out for my hand. “Would you help me?”

 

My head swirled after taking in this information about my Dad. I didn’t know that he’s like this. For the past 18 years he’s been a role model to me. Cold fingers clasped over mine. “Will you?”

 

I steeled my eyes on him, newfound determination coursed through my body. “Yes, Kai. I will.” Kai broke into an angelic smile.

 

“Thank you, Kyung Mi-ah.”