Leaving

Star-crossed

 

Kai wrapped his arms tightly around my shoulders, resting his head on it. We basked in each other other’s ambience, creating each other warmth. He was breathing deeply now, after that hot kiss that I do not even want to replay back in my head. It was… intense. Kai looked down at me, his white blonde locks falling over his eyes, his blue orbs brightening.

 

He gave me a quirky smile, aka the smile that I have a love-hate relationship with. I bring my hand up, caressing his supple cheek then to his smooth jaw, appreciating him for the moment now. Because in the next, we have to act like we’re just merely cousins.

 

“You’re so beautiful.” I blurted out quietly, my finger lingered below his lower full lips that are still pink from the kiss we had just now.  I inhaled his scent; unlike most guys, he smelled sharply of frost even though it’s summer now.

 

Kai played with my ashy white hair. “You, too. But honestly, I would give the title back to you. Your beauty over-exceeds mine.”

 

“Stop sweet-talking. It won’t work.” I said. But I was overjoyed when he said that. I don’t really look at myself in the mirror. I don’t bother. Last time it was all about ‘Guard, Guard, Guard.’

 

Now?

 

Kai, Kai and Kai.

 

I don’t know whether if it’s a good or a bad thing. Probably both.

 

I must’ve fallen asleep because the next moment, I was lying on Kai’s lap and the sun was setting, making everything around us darkened. Across the distance, I saw Kyungsoo approaching us. It was time for us to go back. I got up from Kai’s lap and did a stretch.

 

“How’s the picnic?” Kyungsoo asked when he came over, packing up the leftovers back into a basket.

 

“Enjoyable.” I replied, moving over to help him with the packing.

 

“That’s good, Kai has always wanted to have picnics such as this. I was always his only partner but now I’m glad he has you.” Kyungsoo chuckled.

 

“Yeah, but even if he’s the prince of Estrovia, he should pack - ” I turned around, almost wanted to shout for Kai to help with the packing but only saw him sleeping serenely against the tree trunk. His head tilted to one side, lips parting a little. A smile surfaced on my face, thinking how funny this boy could be.

 

“Never mind. A prince doesn’t packs.” I said, shaking my head. When we’re done, our surroundings darkened to another shade. Only bits of the sunlight lit our surroundings.

 

“I supposed you’re gonna wake him up?” I said, raising my brows. “He looked like he’s sleeping real deeply though. I pursed my lips.

 

“Don’t worry, Lady Jael. I’ll bring him back to the Palace. For now please head back to have your dinner. The soldiers are waiting down the hill for you. They’ll you back.” Kyungsoo said, bowing respectfully. He seemed serious all the time – a stark contrast to Kai who’s probably joking the whole time. Maybe not. I returned the bow and headed down the hill, holding Knight’s reins.

 

I hope today’s incident won’t affect anything.

 

I squared my shoulders, lifted my head high and kept my fingers crossed. Nothing will probably go wrong. Right?

 

**

 

Author’s POV

 

 

L spent the next two days resting in the cottage with Peto and his wife. Because of the vegetables he spent half the day plowing and digging, his effort paid off. Lily, the wife, was happy that she had food to consume and Peto was also satisfied. He didn’t bother L anymore and told him that if he wants to leave, he could.

 

L packed his stuff, wearing back his own Guard uniform and then putting on the black robe over it. Lily insisted that he bring home some of the vegetables because there’s ‘simply too much’ in the house. But L rejected her kindly and she accepted it. Now, the both of them were dressing up smartly to attend some joyous occasion.

 

Peto approached him and L gave him a look. “Wow, you look younger in a suit.”

 

Peto snorted and slapped his shoulder. “What? ‘Ya leavin’ so soon? It’s the Princess Coronation ceremony today! Leave after the celebration, young lad!”

 

Jael’s ceremony? Interesting. But he should leave before Jael sees him again.

 

“It’s okay, Peto,” L said. “I’ll leave. Besides, I’m not even a citizen here. It’s not for me to celebrate.”


“You have a point there, Lad. All right, go before the streets get crowded when the Princess parades through. And you’ve chosen the right day, Lad. I don’t think there’s even that much soldiers guarding our gates.” Peto adviced, beaming. He patted L’s shoulder this time, like a Father that’s about to send his son to a war. L smiled and bowed deeply.

 

“Thank you, Uncle Peto for saving my life. You’ll always be my savior.” With that, he left Peto’s house through the back door and slipped his hoodie up, concealing his face. The streets were beginning to get crowded even though it’s barely afternoon and way before the celebration. Estrovians were singing in joy, grateful that the missing princess has finally reappeared.

 

One of them even offered L a bag of goodies. L took it gratefully and stuffed it into his pocket to remain unsuspicious. But his hoodie seemed to really buy him off. Nonetheless, he continued walking. Unknowingly, L found himself walking past the Palace. Even though his instincts told him to continue moving forward, but he stopped and looked up.

 

Jael wasn’t anywhere near him but he could see an army of soldiers, ministers and nobles gathered in front of the grand entrance, waiting for the Princess to mount the horse and start the celebration. L wanted to catch a glimpse of Jael one last time before he head back to the Human World where the Commander would kill him when he sees L.

 

However, he changed his mind and set off again. L doesn’t belong here. Jael doesn’t belong with him. Even though now he selfishly tore Kai and Jael apart, L don’t even feel satisfied. What’s the point when he’s going to leave her in the end?

 

And Peto was right about the gates. It was opened for all to pass through. L got through it seamlessly, although earning a watchful eye from the high soldier standing on duty on the top of the gates, but other than that, he was back in the Forbidden Forest. He pulled his burdensome hoodie back and picked up speed, eager to go back to his hometown.

 

To the place he belonged.

 

However, L halted his steps when he heard footsteps approaching his directions. Estrovians? Soldiers? He hid behind a thick tree and focused on listening his surroundings.

 

Then, he watched as the first batch of Guards – Human Guards trotted through the Forest. L let out a breath of relief – he could just rejoin them here! Such luck!

 

But wait, what are they doing in the Estrovian’s territory?

 

L waited and watched their movements a little longer. What he saw the next moment was something that made him changed his mind from going back to the Human World.

 

The next batch of Guards stormed through the woods. Each pair of Guards held a long and steady wood. Hanging limply on the hard rod was an Estrovian, knocked and drained out from getting Bombed. Their limbs were tied up onto the rod like a pig that was ready to be roasted.

 

L’s eyes widened as not only one, but several unconscious Estrovians being kidnapped by his own kind. And out of all the Estrovians, he vaguely recognized one of them. It was the soldier that L saw that day when he met up with Jael. The soldier that always sticks beside Kai.

 

Kyungsoo.

 


A/N: Yay, y'all ready for the next arc of this story? Sadly, this means that the story is coming to an end... soon.
But not yet. I hope you guys enjoyed the chapters!
And really sorry for all the grammatical errors/spelling mistakes that i made from chapter 1 till now. >< 

<3