Don't Say Goodbye

Don't Say Goodbye

 

The New Home

The sun is already up on the sky,as sunlight cuts on the mirror of the old raggedy car that a middle age man was driving.His mood sad and as he uttered a curse when his car hits a boulder on the road.They have been driving for more than an hour now and they have left the main highway a minute ago.

The lady on his side was quiet but with with a quiet smile on her face.She was happy that at least one of her burdens is already leaving her,and this time ,it will be for good.

Two kids are in the back passenger seat,huddled close to each other.Hebe's head is on Jiro's shoulder as he put his hand on her hand trying to reassure his younger sister that everything will be alright.Anxiety etched on both of their faces,waiting for something worst that can happen to them.

Jiro looked out at the window,as he looked at the endless trees on the side of the street.Worry plagued his heart but he cannot show it to Hebe for she have been worrying and crying for the past few days.He needs to be strong for his sister and show her at least a brave front.

Was it only yesterday,when their parents is still by their side ,laughing and talking to them and suddenly God took them away from them.He can see images of his Mother and Father floating in the air,moving with the wind as the car moves on.Their parents just recently died instantly from a car accident.The man driving the other car was drunk and never notice the posted sign on the street as he rammed on the oncoming vehicle.It was sudden and yes both of them died on the spot.The only consolation is that they never suffer long...

Jiro closed his eyes and then notice that Hebe's hand has tighten her hold on him.He looked at her eyes and he can see the fear in her eyes.He tried to smile at her,but his smile did not reach her.He put his other arm on her shoulder,as they hugged each other.

The older man notice the action from the back mirror,and his heart aches for them.This is his own flesh and blood,how could he give up on them.The children of his younger sister and yet he got no means to support them.His wife has been nagging him,since they started staying with them.And he got tired of fighting day in and day out and the latest blow on them,for he cannot sustain them anymore since he lost his job a week ago.

"The orphanage is being run by the nun,and I heard a lot of good things about how they ran it." Mr Chen started."You can go to school and they train their kids until they are ready to live on their own.And then maybe if things get better,I can take you back with us." as he forced a smile.

"Don't worry Uncle,we will be fine,right Hebe?" Jiro said,trying to understand the position that his Uncle is in at present.He is not a kid anymore,at least to him.He just turned thirteen a few months back and so he is teen already,and it makes him feel like a real man.

Hebe remained quiet,holding on to her brother.And then the car stopped.They saw an old big building in front of them.It is the only building in the area.The big iron gate opened as the car moved slowly to the driveway.There was big door on the entrance.

Slowly Jiro and Hebe got out of the car holding on their most prized possession in a box.They buzzed the big door,and then a nun in a habit with an eyeglasses opened the door for them with a smile.She did not say a word but ushered them quietly to an office where an elderly nun was seating.

She stood up once they entered the room.Mother Superior have this motherly calm face that everyone will feel secure and loved at the same time.Her face shines as she smile.She walked towards them and took their hands."Is this the two children that you are talking about?" she said.
"Don't worry there are also a lot of children like you here and I am sure in time you'll be friends with them."

For Mother children are God's gift and as he flock grew the more she felt closer to God.She loves children in all their forms and giving the privileged of handling the orphanage is like what God has willed for her to do.And she have been happy and fulfilled here.

Jiro and Hebe took an instant liking to her.Somehow they reminded her of their mother,for she have the same reassuring smile that she have.Their Aunt never smiled at them.Mother Suoerior love for children seems to overflow everytime she looked at them and touched them.

Their Uncle and Aunt smiled at them and then gave them a pat on the shoulder and then left.The Mother Superior rang the bell and then another nun came with a more serious and stricter look on her face.

"Sister Margaret this are the two kids that I have been talking about.You can show them to their room and then you may let them join in today's activity when they are ready.And later on I will talk to them." she said.

And with that Jiro and Hebe was ushered in the long hallway.They passed by what seems to be a classroom on both sides.They saw faces who looked at them as they passed by.it seems like the orphanage have lots of kids under their helm.The nun was quiet except to say some important topic like pointing the classrooms ,the dining rooms,kitchen.Then they moved upstairs where the bedrooms are located.Their is a big room for the babies.And they can hear their crying and cooing.The next room is also big ,there were thirty or more bunk beds in a row.They stopped there and entered.

"This will be your bed ." as she pointed the bed in the corner for Hebe."Mother Superior said that you are ten,and kids who are six years old up to twelve sleeps in here.And your brother will have to go to another room."

Hebe looked frightened when she heard this."Can't I be with my brother?" Hebe asked.

"No,you're brother is older,they have their own room.he will sleep with the big kids and no girls stays there."she said."Older boys and older girls have their own room."

"But she will be so afraid at night if I am not by her side." Jiro said.

"I am sorry a rule is a rule.She have to learn to sleep on her own." she said."Alright we'll leave you here and then I 'll take yur brother to your room."

"Can I help her get settled first before you take me to my room?" Jiro asked.

"No,I have no time to wait for both of you." she said."I have work to be done."

"Then just show me the room and then I'll help her out first." Jiro said.

"Alright,the next room on your right is your room and the empty bed on the corner is yours." she said."When both of you are ready you can join us for lunch in the dining area at twelve." and then she left both of them.

"I don't want to stay here.I want to be with you,I am scared." Hebe said.

"You heard what Sister Margaret said.I can't be here with you and you cannot be in my room." Jiro said."But I will be just in the next room so if you need me you can just go to me."

"I miss Mom and Dad" Hebe said.She started to cry now ,Jiro hugged his sister as both of them cried.

"I missed them too.But they are up above watching over us,so nothing bad will happen to us.They will take care of both of us." Jiro said as he wiped his own tears and wiped his sister's tears away and smiled at her.

"Come on let us put your things away so we can join them for lunch.I am hungry now,for I didn't eat breakfast this morning." Jiro said.

"Me too,I am hungry." Hebe said as she smiled back at him."At least we will be sharing meals together everyday."

They went downstairs and saw lot of kids in the dining area.There seems to be fifty or more kids in the dining area.There was three long table,and the kids are lined up for their foods.All are quiet and seems to be well behaved.The other sister told them to join the line for food.They have sandwich for lunch ,of ham and cheese and a drink and a fruit of banana.The food looked delicious to both of them comparing the food that they have been having in their Uncle's house.

They decided to seat on the next table that was empty.Children looked at them with wary eyes.They started biting on their sandwich,when a guy sat next to them .He sat with them quietly,no smiles but he just looked at them and then went on his business of eating.The next guy that sat with them smiled at them shyly,and then followed by three older boys with a naughty smiles in their faces.

"So you are the new kids?" Kaingin the biggest one of the three boys said."Well I am Kaingin and this are my boys Heechul and Sungmin.You will know us in time." as he winked at Hebe.

"So Yesung,you like her." Kaingin said teasing the first boy that sat down with them.He did not answer and remain expressionless.Kaingin ruffled his hair and pinched hid cheeks."Isn't he cute?"

"No don't do that." the second guy said "Just leave him alone."

"Donghae why don't you mind your own business.Yesung can speak for himself,don't you." Kaingin said.

Yesung remains quiet "Toungue tied are you? we'll he is always like that." as he finished his sandwich in three bite.And then the bell rang."We'll fun is over.I've got to go.See you around." as Kaingin and his group left.

"Do we really have to know them?" Jiro asked with a smile and Donghae smiled back "I am Jiro and this is my sister Hebe."

"I'm Donghae and this is my friend Yesung." as he extend his hand.Yesung smiled but did not extend his hand."We have to go now.The class will be starting soon.I'll see you around."

"Yes ,Thank you." Jiro said.And then the nun appeared at their side as they ushered them again to the Mother Superior office.Jiro and Hebe held hands as they walked in her office....