Regret

Meant It and Mean it

Rather than letting her biased self give numerous points to Luhan, letting him win by a landslide over Sehun in the little game she had created by herself, Hye Sun decided to clean the slate and start over. This time she was going to count seriously.

-

The doorbell rang unexpectedly.

As if punishing the person who had dropped by without prior notice, Yuhan walked as slowly as possible, cursing the unidentified person for interrupting her drama. Good Doctor was more than good and she wanted to get back to lounging on her couch and watching it as soon as possible. Thankfully her parents weren't at home to see her watching it, otherwise they'd have gone into -yet another- frenzy about how she should become a doctor. Like they always did whenever she did anything to do with the topic, such as biology homework...or scraping her knee. She'd simply just found the plot line interesting and closed her eyes -and squealed- whenever operations or blood was being showcased on her TV screen.

Finally -after what seemed like an age- she opened up the door, wasting more time by unlocking all the safety measurements she'd taken. She was a young, teenage girl at home alone; her parents were extra worried. Her doe eyes flicked up and widened when she registered the visiter's straight -and somewhat y- face. His strong, handsome features made him even more easy to identify. Though he had his normal poker face painted on -thickly, might I add- his eyes still flashed with some kind of unusual restlessness.

Sehun, what are you doing here?” the Chinese girl asked, scanning her eyes across his face to check if she had really seen that flash of un-Sehun-like emotion in his eyes, also noting the way his hands tapped rapidly against his thighs, a gesture he always does when anxious.

Is Hye Sun still mad?” he asked sheepishly, not really sure if it had been the right thing to say. He wasn't even sure if it was the right decision to have come here in he first place. Even he himself didn't know what had compelled him to walk all the way to Yuhan's house. He knew Hye Sun wasn't at home -because he tried going there first- and somehow ended up here. 

With a scoff and an, “Oh yeah,” she stepped aside to let him in, knowing there was much more that he wanted to say. Sehun wasn't a man of many words, but one would always know when he wanted to speak. “Hye Sun told me all about this situation,” she herself was getting ready for her own little rant.

Huh?”

She hadn't given him the answer to his question. 

Are you frickin' crazy?” she yelled as soon as the front door clicked shut. Sehun was a little taken a back by her sudden change. One minute she was calm and quieter now she was screaming at the top of her lungs. Well, he should've expected it; she's Yuhan for crying out loud.

What do you mean?” But he knew exactly what she meant.

You of all people should know she's thick!” The top of Yuhan's ears were now bright red with anger, too immersed with a stupid Sehun to bother about the TV drama that was still running in the background, neglected. “If you didn't want to spend a year without her then just tell her instead of using me as a shield!”

As always, Yuhan could read everyone like a book, but with Sehun it was always harder to confirm what she'd read. He seemed unfazed and she was starting to wonder if she'd misunderstood. Even though Sehun knew she hadn't.

But I love you-”

“Bull," she hissed, cutting him off abruptly, "shut up and be serious, .”

The look in her eyes was so threatening, Sehun knew if he didn't drop the dumb act right now he'd get thrown out her house. He didn't want that. He needed someone to talk to, but if he wanted to talk to Yuhan he knew he'd have to get past her defences and interrogation first.

Um...I'm sorry-”

I'm not who you should be apologising to.”

Sehun felt utterly and completely helpless. So many accusations and words were being into his face, but that wasn't what made him feel that way; it was because all the things Yuhan had said were true.

It wasn't the physical apology that caused Sehun to hesitate every time he wanted to reconcile with Hye Sun, but the fact that he'd actually done something wrong in the first place, something bad enough to have made her upset. He'd always know that he'd done wrong, he'd know it as soon as the insulting words left his tongue because the look in her eyes would change and her eyebrows would furrow ever so slightly. But Sehun would always notice even if it was just the smallest change; he always notices. But whenever he built up the courage to apologise, he'd go face to face with her and feel guilt weighing down on his shoulders like two boulders and try to ignore the feeling. If you feel no guilt, or at least in his case, deny it, then you won't feel the need to apologise. His pride got in the way of him.

Do you even know why you did it?” Yuhan's cold voice wafted around the room. They'd now entered the living room and she had turned down the beautiful voice of Joo Won, making the atmosphere even more awkward and icy.

Um...impulse?” So by now, you all should have gathered that Sehun was terrible with words.

The unanswered question also remained hanging in the air, pushed to the side because Yuhan knew that Hye Sun had stopped being angry ages ago. 

-

Hye Sun's tinkling laughter flooded the restaurant, but no one seemed to mind, especially the soft doe-eyed male who sat across from her, resting on his arm and gently laughing along with her.

So you want to go to China?”

Yes! I even got Yuhan to teach me some Chinese beforehand,” she informed him.

Ok, then...” Luhan thought for a while, before switching his tongue from Korean to Chinese, “your smile is very beautiful.”

The girl could only blush shyly, her head dipping down as she was unable to make eye-contact with him without her heart bursting out her chest.

Xie xie...”

Luhan 1 – Sehun 0

Sehun would never sweet talk her...in a different language.

-

You're just as thick as Hye Sun,” Yuhan hissed, bringing the glass of cold water to her lips to soothe which had started hurting after yelling so much at the clueless Sehun. Their conversation had now moved into the kitchen and he was sitting on the marble counter, swinging his legs back and forth childishly.

Ouch,” he replied monotonously. His flat and lifeless reply caused the girl to lose her cool again. She slammed the glass down right next to Sehun and glared up at him.

Have you ever thought about Hye Sun's feelings?” she demanded. Like a good little student who had gone through this kind of thing too many times, he replied as if reciting,

She must be feeling upset. I was mean. I'm sorry. I won't do it again.” What angered Yuhan even more is how fast he'd seemed to have lost interest in the subject, which is strange because he came to her house on his own accord. How, she wondered, could Hye Sun have managed to stick with him for so long?

But even she knew the answer to that.

She was in love with you,” it was better to say it straight forwardly, but Sehun acted like he wouldn't understand something unless punched in the face with it, “I don't know what she saw in you, though.”

Silence. She took it as a cue to carry on.

Don't you know how much you hurt her?” He didn't. He didn't even take it into consideration. “Haven't you ever felt the same way?”

I don't even see her as a member of the opposite ,” definitely not what he wanted to say, but Yuhan was too annoyed to notice. He'd said it a few beats too early to be true.

You're impossible!”

Thanks, I try.” Sehun needed to shut up.

-

No, sunbae. I'll pay for it,” Hye Sun insisted, the feminist side of her coming out as she reached for the cheque. Calmly, Luhan took it out her hands, his sincere stare melting her defences.

Relax, I'll cover the bill,” a smile spread across the girl's face, reaching to her eyes when he pulled out his wallet. She knew she'd given in a little too quickly, but she just liked the new prospect of someone else paying for dinner instead of her.

'Cough, cough; Sehun,' she thought, her eyes twinkling, the beautiful Chinese boy's body reflected in her dark orbs.

Luhan 5 – Sehun 0

 

-

"Why was I so mean to her? Even I don't know...I'm such a ," he mumbled to himself, pulling at his perfect blonde hair. 

Don't go near her anymore,” Yuhan warned, her voice low and eyes threatening, not that Sehun was looking anyway, he was too busy studying the carpet. “You've hurt her too much. Do you know how many times she's come to me crying because of you?”

It was never was Sehun wanted. Hye Sun doesn't cry a lot, only the things that hurt her the most can make her shed even a single tear.

How they had gotten to this point in the bi-polar conversation was long forgotten. Why he'd even bothered to come to Yuhan's house had also been forgotten, but at least the latter had made use of the visit. Sehun was too absorbed in his guilt to even answer wittily to her angry remarks.

I...didn't mean to, Yuhan,” his voice was just above a whisper.

I'm pretty sure you're telling the truth,” was her icy cold reply, “but you have no one to blame but yourself. She gave you every chance you could ever ask for. And you ed up every time.”

Yuhan clearly wasn't in a good mood either seeing how harshly she had just phrased that sentence, but if the whole conversation had never happened then her mood wouldn't have been so ed up. But Sehun knew he'd deserved this.

I know,” and with that he headed for the door.

 

a/n- I tried doing the chapter in a different way, I hope it wasn't too confusing -.- 

comment, subscribe and vote please!