Heartbreaking

Meant It and Mean it

"Unnie! Unnie!" that annoying voice called out, sounding like nails -ever so slowly- scratching on a chalkboard.

'How can Hye Sun stand this?' Yuhan yelled inside her head, wanting to slam her head against her locker, but instead settled with just slamming the locker door and turning around to face the creator of all the noise with a forced smile. 

"Hana, what do you want?" it could have sounded a little more pleasant but Yuhan didn't care. It didn't seem like the younger girl cared either. 

"Tarot," was her simple reply. "Hye Sun unnie says you know how to do it, can you please do it for me? I want to know something." The 'sweet' tone of her voice made the older girl want to throw up because of how fake it sounded. 

"What do you want to know?" Hana's eyebrows jumped up a little in surprise. 

"You have to know?" 

"You'll go around telling everyone you see afterwards anyway," Yuhan muttered spitefully. She wanted to get away from the annoying girl as quickly as possible, but knew her best friend would kill her for being rude to her 'favourite dongsaeng'. 

Hana shot her a look saying, 'I'll tell Hye Sun you're being mean' so she rolled her eyes and tried to think of a nicer way to speak to her. Hye Sun doesn't tolerate Yuhan's rudeness to people she isn't close to. "For me to do a reading on one specific thing, you'll have to tell me what your question is..." 

It wasn't necessarily true, but she was too much of a busybody to let this opportunity pass. Maybe she could use it against her seeing how shy the other looked...

"Oh," the shorter said before instantly perking up, her eyes basically shone with excitement. "Me and Sehun oppa!"

~~~~~

"Unnie! Unnie!" Now she was bothering someone else. 

Hye Sun lifted her head up from her books. Besides her the classroom was basically empty, everyone else too busy huddling together and gossiping to start studying for the upcoming algebra test like she was. Maybe it was just because she wasn't very good at the said subject. 

Usually she would be in that place in the school by herself, no one within a few meters radius and would just bask in the silence...or study. She hadn't gotten out of the habit of keeping as far from the 'playground' as she could. 

"Hye Sun unnie" Hana called, storming into the otherwise empty class room. Hye Sun looked up at her and narrowed her eyes when Yuhan came running after her, suddenly understanding how she could have been found when she'd never told her where she spends most of her lunchtimes. 

"What?" As she spoke, Yuhan flashed her painfully obvious fake smile and clamped a hand around the -struggling- younger's mouth. 
 
"Nothing! I was just...being a little rude to her again and she was trying to rat me out," desperate times call for desperate measures, she would have never admitted to that in any other circumstance. Which is why Hye Sun knew she was lying.
 
"She told me," Hana blurted out, managing to wriggle out her grip and scamper to the other side of the room, slightly panting as she finished, "that you love Sehun." Without missing a beat, Hye Sun felt her heart sink to the ground. A flustered and annoyed gaze was shot at Yuhan, who had given up and started praying the heavens for mercy. 
 
"She what?" Her eyes sparked with rage. 
 
"I know everything!"
 
"You do?" the tone in her voice was clearly demanding an explanation, clarification, confession...anything that would make the situation less unbearable than it currently was. Despite having a preppy first year between them, Hye Sun's intimidating gaze never left the girl on the other side of the room, wishing she the ground would swallow her up. 
 
"I-I...may have let something slip about-"
 
"How much you love Sehun!" 
 
Hye Sun resisted the urge to face palm. She couldn't even if she'd wanted to, seeing as Hana had grabbed hold of both her hands and looked at her with the most endearling facial expression physically possible. 
 
"Unnie, I-I'm sorry!" What? "I'll give up on him for you!" 
 
Hye Sun's reaction was a mix of shock, horror, guilt and -much as she'd hate to admit it- relief. But the negative feelings obviously outweighed the positive, thus making her more flustered than anything else.  
 
'This is wrong,' she thought, 'I gave up on him...she can't not date him because of me...I shouldn't even be a factor in this. I'm...not an option even if I wanted to be.' 
 
"What. The. Hell," was all she managed out off her gaping mouth, despite all the thoughts whirling around in her head. She shifted her gaze to pleadingly look at Yuhan, hoping for some help, but the girl's reaction was no different from hers. 
 
She felt terrible. Hana obviously really liked Sehun seeing as the way her eyes shone whenever his name rolled off her tongue. She'd even seen the way he looked at her, the smile he flashed her even when they simply walked down the halls. Though Hye Sun could have just been exaggerating, she actually believed that Hana made him happier than she ever could have. She wanted herself to believe that Sehun liked Hana back. She wanted them both to be happy. 
 
She was the one who'd pushed him away for 5 months. It was their relationship that had broken. It was his harsh words and uncaring attitude towards her that had made them become distant. So why should she even have a say in who he should be with and where his happiness belongs. Though he was a and she hadn't talked to him for almost half a year, she wouldn't be the villian in this story who wants to stop the person who hurt her from being happy. 
 
And he certainly looked more than happy whenever he was with Hana. 
 
Maybe, she'd think, I'm just being a masochist. 
 
Inhaling deeply, Hye Sun turned again to meet the younger girl's gaze. 
 
"Listen, Hana," she said, trying to calm the shakiness in her voice, "I do not have any feelings for Sehun anymore." She was lying, even Yuhan knew it. 
 
What had shocked Hye Sun the most was how even the former had known about her unwavering feelings for the boy. She'd thought after 5 months, maybe even Yuhan would begin to believe that her feelings for the boy had cooled down. But the latter had not believed it for one bit. 
 
Though it hurt to force those words out, the look of pure relief and happiness on the younger's face eased the pain in her chest. Just by a fraction. Hana was never good at hiding her emotions and Hye Sun had to stop herself from rolling her eyes when her next sentence clashed with her expression. 
 
"But...I don't want to take him from you-" 
 
"Hana!" Clearly agitated by how the said girl kept pressing onto the subject, she couldn't help but snap. A pout formed on the other's lips and Hye Sun sighed, trying to let go of her pent up frustration. "He was never mine to begin with," her words were so meaningful that even Yuhan felt sorry. 
 
It had definitely been hard on her, it was even harder right now, no doubt. Somehow, Yuhan became annoyed with the arrogant first year who seemed to only think of herself in that moment instead of noticing how forced and strained Hye Sun's smile seemed. 
 
Suddenly, disrupting the silence that had settled in the classroom, Hana's phone buzzed. The screen glowed as a text notification appeared. 
 
[Oh Sehun]
I'm coming. 
 
Though it was brief but Yuhan saw the look of helplessness wash across Hye Sun's face as her eyes darted to the phone and back to her long forgotten algebra book laid out in front of her. 
 
"I have to go," Hana announced, feeling like weights had been lifted off her shoulders, "Sehun oppa is going to tutor me."
 
"Let me guess," the girl mutter bitterly, pericing holes in her textbook, "algebra?" She thought she'd be alright. Only a few moments ago, she was smiling and declaring how she didn't love Sehun and how she'd happily let Hana 'have him'. But her sinking heart disagreed with her words. She didn't want to just smile, stand in the background and blindly support them. 
 
'I have no say in this,' her voice sounded so miserable in her head and she hated how he'd made her like this again...this time without even trying. 
 
"Yeah, he's amazing, isn't he?"
 
Yuhan resisted the urge to punch the insensitive younger girl who'd seemed to move on so quickly. 
 
'At least they have something in common...' 
 
Footsteps could be heard outside their classroom, echoing around the otherwise empty corridors. No one was ever around in this wing of the school besides Hye Sun but today seemed to be an exception. She wished this had never happened and she would've just been left alone this lunchtime, just like every other week, as well as praying that the person walking towards them wasn't- 
 
"Sehun oppa!" A cool breeze blew in the unmoving girl's face, somehow helping to dry the tears that had been unconsciously formed, as Hana scampered out the room and towards the said boy. 
 
"Hana yah," the sickly sweet tone in that familiar voice was so heart wrenchingly depressing to Hye Sun that she let out a little, sad chuckle that was only audible to her. How long had it been since he'd spoken to her like that? 2 years? 3? She wanted to spare herself the pain she'd get from looking up; but then again, her will power had never been good. 
 
Her heart felt like it was being squeezed tightly. 
 
He was smiling. The cute little smile that only occurred when he was genuinely happy. The smile spread all the to his eyes, which had shaped into perfect little crescents, and his mouth curved up into an adorable shape only achievable by Sehun. It sent her heart racing to a speed only made possible by Sehun. It made her want to cry just as quickly as her heart beat had accelerated. The amount of feelings she'd felt in less than a few seconds could only everbe because of Sehun. 
 
Just watching him smile reminded her of the times when Sehun was...just Sehun. Sweet, funny, kind and definitely not the dickhead he was now. Her heart still ached for him; as if she hadn't ignored him for 5 months. As if they'd not spoken to each other in an age. As if he hadn't moved on like losing her was nothing. As if that smile wasn't directed at someone other than her. 
 
a/n- I write a lot in A/N's lol. I hope you liked this chapter ^^ was it confusing? I'm posting this in a rush >.< Also, does anyone reed the feed or something? Like at the side? Just asking. I posted the most feel worthy title ever, at least for me. Here's To The Broken Us. I thought it suited the story well :) but I don't want to change the title and all that 'cos that would be stupid lol but wait a while and I promise you I will do something with that title and all the feels it's given me in terms of Sehun ;) 
 
Please comment, subscribe and upvote ^^