Remaining

Meant It and Mean it

'Head up. Stand up straight. Be confident, Hye Sun,' she thought to herself, relaxing her sitff shoulders. Her eyes were focused on one person. Had Yuhan been there to witness the scene, she would have gotten annoyed due to the former's unwavering gaze. Fixating her line of sight on her target, the girl cleared and began to take a few steps in the tall, blonde boy's direction.

They hadn't spoke in almost 3 days. Though the time was short to the ears, it weighed down like eternity on her heart. Short glimpses would be stolen in the hallways and sometimes even brief, yet meaningful, gazes would be shared accidentally. Sehun would always be the first to look away, stepping on the painfully broken pieces of her heart which was already shattered and spread across the ground.

She longed for their eye contact to last longer than a few seconds. She wanted to forget everything that had happened. She just wanted him to be by her side again.

Upon hearing the ever-so-familiar -and overly heavy footsteps- Sehun was so used to hearing, his heart stopped. His gaze which had been resting on his locker shifted to the side, without his permission. He met eyes with a pair of friendly brown orbs, practically calling out to him.

Hey, Hye Sun,” the words left his tongue like water flowing down a waterfall, no pause or hesitation. Hye Sun registered the words before he could even notice he'd said anything. It was just that automatic.

'At least he still knows I exist.' She was relieved that he'd started the conversation first and completely ignoring the bewildered look on his face when he processed the past second in his head.

What was our history homework again?” he asked, 'saving the situation'. Then her entire resolve crumbled to the ground. Straight away, the look in Hye Sun's eyes changed, glaring up at him. It could have looked a lot more intimidating if he wasn't so much taller than her, she had to crane her neck upwards to even meet his eyes. 

Is this funny to you?” her voice was harsh as she snapped, in no mood to be patient and beat about the bush.

Homework?” All of a sudden, she regretted even thinking about talking to him again. He'd moved on like it was nothing. Like their kiss was nothing. Like her feelings were nothing. 

Oh, haha, stop being such a tard and be serious for once,” she got even more fired up because of Sehun's nonchalant tone.

I am. I didn't write down our homework and-”

Oh Sehun!” Sehun knew that this was coming, but he could only blame himself for instinctively talking to her first.

What did I do now?” Hye Sun didn't feel like whacking his head with a baseball bat, or dropping onto the floor and crying. She wasn't disappointed and didn't find the whole scene ironic, she'd expected this; because she'd been stupid enough to have fallen for him. He'd kissed her yesterday for the worst reason yet she still let herself admit to loving him. She could have denied the feeling. But it would always be there, inside her heart. And that's what made it hurt that much more.

Are you kidding me?” her voice cracked due to the lump forming in . He blinked at her.

No.” His words and eyes seemed so forced and fake, hoping maybe she'd notice, but she wasn't interested in 'what ifs' and 'maybes' because they'd always proved to be false in her experience. All she cared about was right here, right now. And right here, right now was proving to be a lot more difficult to handle than she thought.

Are you that thick?”

Um-”

Never mind if you don't remember then it obviously wasn't of any importance to you.” Quicker than he could let go of the breath he'd been unconsciously holding or faster than she could blink and let that single tear fall, she broke their gaze and walked away. Her pace was so fast and hurried, he felt a gust of wind when she'd passed, with it her sweet strawberry scent that he loved. It would always infiltrate his sinuses whenever he held her, something Sehun knew he could never do again. He also knew that would be last time they'd speak to each other.

-

Fast forward a few weeks, maybe a month or two, and you'd see the same girl who would never move on, laughing with her friends like nothing was wrong. The group of friends that didn't include Sehun.

After that meeting with Sehun, Yuhan made sure he and Hye Sun never went near each other. She had to be more careful this time, her friend had forgiven too easily the last few -hundred- times and this time she would not even give them a chance to reconcile. She was determined to make it the last time. 

At the beginning, Hye Sun forgot to ignore him or found herself glancing in his direction, but Yuhan would always bring her back to reality and quickly whisk her away. The short seconds of longing eye contact and the secretive glancing of each other in the class room minimized to only Sehun glancing at her and Hye Sun reminding herself to not acknowledge his existence until, finally, she'd forced herself to move on. Not even small glances would be shared as they passed in the halls. They returned to how they were 6 years ago, before all the pain, before all the hugs, laughter, tears, rapid heartbeats and mistakes; they were strangers again. 

Hey, baby,” a familiar masculine voice flooded into Hye Sun's ears, like music. The doe eyed boy laughed at her sour expression to the nick name –she'd never like the name 'baby'- and sat down on the lunch table, sweetly wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

Yah, LuLu, stop calling me that,” she smirked, emphasizing his own hated nickname. The said boy only smiled and leant down to kiss her -who rolled her eyes- cheek affectionately while Yuhan pretended to gag.

Oppa, go to your friends. Make googgly eyes at each other some other time,” she scowled, “Hye Sun was my best friend before she was your girlfriend, so I have priority.”

Did I forget to mention this? As soon as she'd finished her business that day with Sehun, the first person she'd ran into while she on the verge of tears was Luhan. He'd comforted her again, just like last time, and she'd beamed at him. Without warning, she'd brought up the subject of his confession and accepted the offer to be his girlfriend once all her tears had dried. Out of spite, some might say, but she'd always insisted it was because of genuine attraction. He was there for her when she most needed someone.

Why? Look, your boyfriend's coming too,” he joked back, nodding his head in the direction of two approaching bodies. One petite and cute with a smile plastered on his face, the other tall and tanned, a smirk on his lips.

Which one?” Hye Sun said quietly, ignoring her friend's glare. “Hey Jongin, Kyungsoo.”

Hi,” they both chorused, taking a seat either side of Yuhan, whose face had gotten considerably red.

Where are the rest of the gang?” Luhan asked, taking a bite of one of Hye Sun's chips and earning himself ketchup smeared on his arm.

Before answering the smaller of the three boys rolled his eyes at the cute antics of the couple, “they're eating at our usual table,” indicating the place they'd have sat if not for their girlfriends -and one third wheeler who just tagged along. 

I bet they want you guys to sit with them,” Hye Sun joked, trying to shove Luhan off the bench.

I don't think they care since we have company,” Jongin winked at her, who was now shoving chips into .

Yeah,” Kyungsoo sighed, cutting up his hard -and probably burnt- piece of beef. “But I bet they're worried more about Sehun.” As soon as the words absently left the petite boy's mouth, he looked up, as if startled. His eyes were even bigger than they usually are.

At the sound of Sehun's name, Hye Sun froze. It was ever so slight and short, but everyone on the table noticed it. Especially Luhan.

Why, what happened to him?” she asked, trying to seem nonchalant, for the sake of her dejected boyfriend, but failing miserably.

He-He...” Kyungsoo -the poor thing- stuttered, unable to look at the glaring Yuhan in the eye, though he was desperately looking at her for permission to carry on.

He just disappears most lunchtimes, that's it,” Jongin shrugged it off, indifferent as ever though not completely oblivious to the current situation. “He's into photography these days, maybe he practices or does a lunchtime club?”

'Photography?' Hye Sun thought to herself, a smile threatening to form on her face when thinking back to their promise when they'd first met.

The chatter continued, between Jongin, Kyungsoo and Yuhan that is. Luhan joined in from time to time however he was still too busy eyeing the girl next to him. Hye Sun was too deep in thought that she didn't notice his gaze on her, his worried gaze. Though they'd been dating for almost 4 months, he still felt slightly threatened whenever he heard Sehun's name. He didn't know everything that had been between them, all he knew was they were close; close enough to have made it look suspicious. By the look on her face and due to the circumstances, Luhan was pretty sure the reason his sweet girlfriend was so occupied was because of Sehun.

Hey, you guys are going to watch us in Grease, right?” Yuhan asked, turning to her boyfriend, who nodded enthusiastically.

The Korean version of Grease was what the drama club had been working on for ages. During the auditions, everyone expected Yuhan and Kyungsoo to get the main roles again -especially since it involved singing- but the roles were snatched by two shining and talented newcomers.

I'll make sure the rest of the gang come too,” Luhan promised, grabbing Hye Sun's hand and trying to catch her eye again. “Who's the main role?”

Hye Sun and Baekhyun.”

Damn, Chanyeol's gonna get jelly~” Jongin joked, sheepishly taking a drink of his water when everyone -excluding one particular girl- faced him with faces that freakishly resembled the -.- emotion. 

A/N- Hey, so weird little filler chapter that skips about 5 months :) The whole Grease thing is just so it would fir in with the events of my real life lol I purposely didn't reveal who Yuhan's boyfriend is because; it's for the SEQUAL mwahahhaha. lol. I thought of this cool -if I do say so myself- storyline that'll be less angsty and more comedic than this story...it's more like a spin-off since it's focusing on Yuhan, Jongin and Kyungsoo. I'll give more information later ^^ And the Baekyeol is just cos I love them <3

 

Please comment, upvote and subscribe ^^