9

Are You Doing Okay?

 

 

 


9: Hani

 

 

“Do you like Suho?” Lay smirked during one of our Physics class. I ignored him completely and jotted down the notes on my notebook. I could hear him sighing and yet that smug on his face was still there. It was annoying and I know it wasn’t going to stop any soon. Joonmyun and I had crossed each other’s path sometimes at school. But we have not talked to each other yet. I refused to. “You know, if you two are fighting, I don’t think he’s going to be the first one to apologize—”

“Why are you talking like I’m in some kind of a relationship with Kim Joonmyun?” I hissed, shifting my chair further from the mad man. He snorted at my action and shifted his chair closer to mine. “—I was saying that, that’s how Suho is. Though he seems all mighty and gentleman on the outside, he’s actually pretty sensitive and prideful in the inside. And I think it’s eating him up, slowly.”

“I don’t care.” I pouted and kept my eyes down on my pencil.

“You might don’t.” Lay leaned against his chair and I could feel his eyes burning on me. “But Suho does.”

“Why do you keep on insisting that Joonmyun and I might have something together?” I asked him. “He happened to be there and saw something that he shouldn’t have. That was then and it ended already. I gave him my thanks and we won’t have anything to do with one another now. And I expect you, to stop pretending to be close or even trying to do so with me. It’s tiring to someone keeping their eyes on me—every ing single time.”

I breathed out and puckered my lips, quite satisfied with my long words with Lay. I heard him smirked and nudged me. “Are you done yet? The teacher’s waiting for you.”

I looked at the front and saw the whole class staring at me. The teacher tapped his pen on the desk and nodded at me. I stood up and waited for his next words. “Did I ask you stand up, Miss Shim?” The class chuckled and I hesitantly brought myself to sit down. “But do please stay up for detention this afternoon.”

“Oops,” Lay feigned a sorry look on his face. I looked at him and rolled my eyes. He laughed and leaned in to whisper something to me. “But guess what? The president is in charge of the detention session today.” I hoped I would be surprised but I don’t. It was nothing. Seeing that kind of reaction from me, Lay pouted and I could sense that he was trying to say more when the teacher adverted his attention on the Chinese boy.

“Yes, Mr. Zhang Yi Xing, do you want to join—”

“I’ll pass on that.” He raised his hand and bowed to the teacher. I sighed and dropped my head down to the table.

 


 

The last thing Lay said to me after class ended was ‘Enjoy your date’. I wanted to strangle him so much but the kid has sprinted off somewhere else. It was recess period and I glided my way towards my locker.

“Even Lay?” I sighed at Eunjo’s words and shook my head. “Shim Hanhee, you’ve lured in some nice ones.” She joked and opened her locker next to mine. “What about this detention did I hear?”

“That was fast.” I commented. She shrugged and nudged me playfully.

“People’s mouths are always fast. But will you be alright? It’s supposed to be the President—” When she saw my raised brows, she paused and beamed at me. “I did a little scoop on your young prince. But the point is I still don’t get why you would want to ignore such person. That is Kim Joonmyun after all. What exactly did he do to you?”

“Damaged of property.” I coldly blurted.

Eunjo stopped fiddling with her books and looked at me. “Of what?”

“My head.”

“Ohhhhhh~ are you that deeply in love already?” She cooed and hit my shoulder, exciting over such misunderstanding. I decided to ignore her and walked away to my next class. When I passed Chanyeol, another friend of Joonmyun, I caught a glimpse of the devil himself. Without paying any attention to him, I tried to fasten my steps but he caught my wrist.

“I need to get to my next class.”

“I need to make sure of something.”

He gently spun me around to face him. Kim Joonmyun is—if I were to describe him—I’d rather not. He was not even handsome, well he used to look charming at some point but the moment he opened his mouth, it started to get under my skin again. He annoyed me so much that I even surprised myself because of that. “Everyone is staring. Let my hand go.”

“Did you do it again?” He tried to feel my wrist under my sleeve. Who did he think he is to have the rights to touch me? But no matter how I wanted to smash a strong reply to his face, I couldn’t think of anything. He was right—from the start of his point.

“Stop trying to—”

“It has been a while since you last done it. Is there something wrong?”

I scoffed and pulled my hand away—maybe a bit too strong because I could feel the sting in my skin. I felt it, the way blood starting to ooze out. Smirking, I found the courage to look at him in the eyes. “Why do you even care?”

“Hanhee—”

“I’ll turn up at detention later, president.” I took a few steps back and bowed at him. “You don’t have to remind it to me.” With that last sentence, I brought my heels off the hallway.