14

Are You Doing Okay?

 

 


14: Hani

 

“Since it’s a wonderful Saturday morning, let’s go out.” Hyomin chirped. I sighed to the phone and I could imagine her pouting her lips at my reaction. “Why shouldn’t we? I’m so bored that I’d rather run for a 30km marathon than staying at home.”

 

“I want to stay at home today. You and Eunjo can come over if you want.” I invited her.

 

“What is this? You don’t even sound sincere when you said that.” She sighed over the phone. I chuckled and shook my head—there’d be no way for me to sound insincere. They’re the only friends I have. “Alright then, Eunjo and I will do some shopping first and then we’ll go to your house.” I hummed in agreement and after bidding her goodbye, I hung up.

 

The house seemed empty once again. I looked around and saw how dark the entire house was. Getting up from the sofa, I pulled the curtain widely opened. When I felt my phone vibrating again, I answered the call without looking at the caller ID.

 

“Yes Hyomin?”

 

It was silent on the other line. Noticing the quietness, I stared at the screen and realized that it was from an unknown number. The breathing sound became louder and for some reasons, I think I knew who was calling. I heard Joonmyun sighing again and I brought myself to sit on the sofa, looking blankly at the ceiling above.

 

“What is it, Joonmyun?”

 

“Eh,” He let out a chuckle. I was sure then—it sounds exactly like him. “How did you know that I was calling?”

 

“It is you?” I heard him humming and unknowingly, a smile crept into my face. Why am I not surprise that he had his hand on my contact number? Even so, I was surprised that it took him quite a long time to do things like this. Knowing what power Joonmyun has at school, he’d get information about me in just a minute. “Why are you calling me then?”

 

“Let’s go out, Hanhee.” He said confidently. I froze for a while before coming back to my sense. Sighing, I gave the same response I did to my own friend. “It’s a nice day, not that sunny with the right amount of wind. You’re gonna love it, I promised you. You won’t regret coming out today.”

 

“I don’t have time.” I made an excuse, “Now would you excuse—”

 

“Or—” He said immediately, cutting my words, “Or if you’re too busy, I can come over to your house.” I blushed at nothing when he said that. There’s no way that I’d show him my house. It was just so gloomy and dark here, compared to his house. I’d be humiliating myself like that. “I mean, you’ve been to mine right? I had your address here—”

 

“You don’t have to do that.” I turned him down.

 

Joonmyun was again silent. I felt bad but I was left with no choice. Anyway, the girls would be coming here too later. What would they say if they see Kim Joonmyun inside my house? After a moment of a brief pause, he chuckled bitterly and I could imagine him rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

 

“But I’m already in front of your house.”


 

“Are you going to stay outside?” I called Joonmyun, leaning against the door frame. It was suddenly hot in late autumn and I cleared my throat. Joonmyun looked up and when he noticed me, he pushed the gate opened. Closing it behind him, his still bright smile was starting to get under my nerves.

 

“Don’t misunderstood,” Joonmyun said as he opened his shoes, “I got your address from your friends.”

 

I raised my brows at that but didn’t say anything about it. I cleared all the unnecessary stuff around the living room and invited him to sit down. Fixing the cushions comfortably, I then looked at him—I was getting redder by each second. The only boy who has been into my house was Taehyung, but I’ve known that kid since kindergarten. We basically are siblings. With Joonmyun, it was nothing like me and Taehyung. I couldn’t keep myself straight with him around.

 

“Um,” Joonmyun called me. I shrugged off the thoughts and looked at him. “Can I um…drink something? I’ve been walking here that’s why.” He awkwardly smiled at me.

 

“Yeah, sure,” I scratched my head. “Wait first. You can watch some TV if you want.” I passed him the remote control. It wasn’t like his brand new Plasma TV at his home, but that’d do for the moment. Joonmyun smiled at me and nodded his head. I was tempted to smile back but instead, I just turned around and entered the kitchen.

 

“What was that?” I hissed to myself, making sure that I was discreet enough. “How should I deal with a chaebol in my house?” Without having a proper plan, I boiled some water and leaned against the counter. But Joonmyun wasn’t a plain chaebol, he just has a rich family and that was it. He is far from all the expected riches like him. And to think that he’d come to my house…

 

“Hanhee,” I heard Joonmyun calling me from the living room. I started to panic as I walked out of the kitchen—what did he see? What did he want? Is he going to leave now? Did he not know how to turn the TV on? I poked my head out and saw that he was totally glued to the TV. What went wrong then?

 

“It’s quiet here. Why don’t you come and sit here with me? It’d be better than you hiding in the kitchen.” He smiled, pointing at some variety shows on the TV. I remained emotionless as Joonmyun continued laughing at the screen.

 

“I’ll prepare your drink first.” I excused myself and retreated to the kitchen. Properly closing the door behind me this time, I sat on the chair and sighed. I didn’t know how to face Joonmyun anymore. After what he had said last time, I don’t think I could look at him the same any longer. The water boiling woke me up and I sighed, preparing to make him some tea.


 

“Come closer,” Joonmyun beckoned me to come closer with his hands. I shook my head and hugged the cushion I had in my hands tighter. We were watching a show but I couldn’t even focus on anything. Thinking back of us then, it was funny though—Joonmyun and I were practically on the opposite sides of the room. I tried to ask the reason to his visit but he just shrugged. “I’m not going to do anything to you, Hanhee.”

 

I know that too. But I couldn’t let my guards down when I’m with him. I shouldn’t let him come here in the first place. Knowing Joonmyun was already a huge detour in my life and with him trying to change me, I just couldn’t let that happened. I realized that I was staring at him when he suddenly got up and sat next to me.

 

“What are you trying to do?” I shifted away from him. Joonmyun pulled my body closer to him and gently pushed my head on his shoulder. I saw him smiling but my mind couldn’t react to anything. I just let him there. “Joonmyun…”

 

“Just let me…” He said.

 

At that moment, I knew that it couldn’t be helped—I like Joonmyun too.