10

Are You Doing Okay?

 

 

 


10: Hani

 

Detentions—for my entire school years, I have never been in a detention class. That wasn’t until a particular unicorn decided to ruin that record for me. There was a row of students behind me; the real troublemakers. And besides me was a girl who pretty much was done with high school. She was playing the game ‘Anipang’ on her phone. On my left seated a sleeping senior—probably got into detention because he was sleeping in class.

 

Sitting in front of me was someone I have seen around Joonmyun a couple of times. Was Baekhyun his name? Anyway, Baekhyun had his earphones tugged in as he scribbled something on his Mathematics textbook. I sighed as well, leaning against the chair as I glanced at the clock on the wall. Still one and a half hour until detention was over but Joonmyun haven’t arrived yet. It had been a while since detention started.

 

“Why are you here?” Someone from the back asked me. I turned around slightly and recognized him right away. Jimin (I remembered him being introduced to me before) grinned at me. I was still staring at him when he repeated his question. I shrugged. “I got into detention.” There was nothing wrong with my answer but the girl beside me snickered at that.

 

Jimin was also amused with my reply and so were his friends. There were 2 others at both his sides but I wasn’t too familiar with them. I do know that they hang out a lot with each other. Jimin leaned in and smirked at me. “Guess what, I got into detention too.” I rolled my eyes and turned to face the front only to see a pair of eyes narrowing towards my direction. Jimin and his friends were still cooing over my reactions.

 

Joonmyun cleared his throat and tapped his folder on the teacher’s desk a few times before having the class’s attention solely on him. “Sorry that I’m late—”

 

“You’re not punctual yourself, Mr. President.” A voice shot up from the behind. “I guess that’s why you’re trapped in detention as well.” A few laughter erupted as Joonmyun looked blankly through them. I was impressed to see such sight of him being serious. But it was no use because Baekhyun himself was seen giggling behind his books.

 

Joonmyun fished our attention and the class was again quiet. “As I was saying, I apologize for my tardiness. I was talking to Mr. Lee about something—”

 

“No one is interested about that.” The girl besides me sighed. Joonmyun stopped and glanced at her. I could see that he was suppressing his anger up but he finished off with a smile on his face.

 

“I know that. I’m not interested in guarding you guys here like a warden too so like it or not, we still have to stick with each other for a few more minutes.” A few more minutes—as in an hour and a half left. “Here, fill this—” He walked around the class to hand over a form each to the students. After making sure that everyone received one, he rested on the back of Baekhyun’s chair, making him facing me. “This won’t be considered in your school records unless you have three detentions in one month so make sure I don’t see your faces here anymore.”

 

Sighs were heard but so were pencils scribbling on the piece of paper. I looked to my left and noticed that the senior was still sleeping. Joonmyun saw him too and nodded up at me. I admitted that he seemed cool when he was doing his work like this. I could see how serious he is when it comes to doing his work so I remained silent. “Wake him up.” Joonmyun had said.

 

Obeying the president’s words, I looked to my left when suddenly Jimin slightly kicked my chair. “Are you crazy?” He asked. “That’s the Sleeping Beauty. No one simply wakes him up.” I turned around, quite confused with what he had said. Jimin nodded and continued, “No one messes with that senior. So I recommend that you don’t bother him, Hani.”

 

“Well no one messes with Kim Joonmyun too.” Joonmyun replied and began walking to his position in front of the class. “Wake him up, Hanhee-ssi.” I was still looking blankly at him when Joonmyun continued to nag. “And Baekhyun, stop listening to the music and fill up your form now. Somi,” He turned to the girl on my right, “Keep your phone away or I’ll confiscate it.”

 

“And Hanhee,” He picked on me again. He need not to remind me again so I edged closer to my left and was about to knock on the guy’s table when he suddenly began moving. He was facing me now so I could see his face—quite pale but still pleasant to look at. The sleeping beauty looked around the class before stretching his whole body. He then wiped off the drool on his face.

 

“Now that everyone is awake, please fill in the forms on your desks. Hand them to me before detention ends.”

 

I realized that I was still staring at the sleeping beauty when he noticed me. Smiling back, he replied my stare with a playful wink. I was taken aback and my eyes went to search for Joonmyun again. Joonmyun silently sighed and pointed at the form on my desk. I looked down and went through the paper.

 

Name: Shim Hanhee 심한희

Class: 2-1

Major: Arts

Reason(s) for being in detention: Talking in class

Resolution(s) after detention: —

 

“What’s your resolution after going through this detention class?” Joonmyun asked. I shrugged and tapped pointlessly on the paper. Why do I have to go through this class anyway? It wasn’t my fault that the teacher was extra sensitive seeing me talking to Lay. And by the rumors saying that the School President being all scary in detentions, he seemed just lukewarm to me then. Was this the things people do in detention class? If so then I’d rather go farming under the scorching heat than being bored to death here.

 

“I’ll talk to Yixing about bullying you in class.” I heard him whispering in my ears. Hearing that, I looked at Joonmyun and found his face very close to me. It was uncomfortable but at the same time, it made me pretty giddy. When did he even come over to my side? I couldn’t get myself to look away from his eyes. Joonmyun flashed a smile and suddenly, he was distracted with Baekhyun’s question. “Hey, how do I answer this resolution—oh—oh…

 

Baekhyun’s last exclamation had everyone staring at Joonmyun and I being close. Joonmyun looked away and pulled back his arm which I did not notice was positioned behind my chair. I was startled as well and quickly stared down on the paper on my desk. I heard Jimin faking a cough behind me and when he whispered something close to me, I widened my eyes at him.

 

Jimin cutely smirked and mouthed it clearly and slowly. ‘I-will-tell-Taehyung-about-that’