Plan, Start!

City Blues

Since it was late in the evening and he was tired, he decided to skip dinner and sleep. It turned out to be a bad idea because he woke up in the middle of the night with a growling stomach purring every other minute. His stomach felt so empty that it made him feel literally sick.

Now that he was wide awake he tossed onto his side and curled up hoping to ease the hunger. It did for a few minutes before it started purring again. Luhan scowled wondering what he’d find to eat at a time like this. Thinking about going out sounded too bothersome and he was too tired for that.

At last Namjoo turned to look at him, “Are you hungry?”

“No, no,” he lied before his stomach cried again in opposition.

Her lids fluttered a few times before she sat up and rubbed a hand over her face, “Did you not eat or something.”

“I…” he began determined to lie then gave in, “couldn’t find the time to.”

“Don’t tell me you shopped that long.”

Even though he was hungry he liked the feel of looking up at her.

“Well you know; Bangkok is a big city. It took some time travelling here and there.”

Namjoo turned away from him before throwing the blanket over. “What do you want? I’ll stop by 7-eleven.”

Quickly jolting up he asked, “Alone?”

“It’s not that far,” she stood up.

“Then lets go together,” Luhan also got up then reasoned, “a lot of crimes happen at night. We should at least be able to help one another of something happens.”

A few minutes later they were sitting outside the shop with a cup of warm ramen noodles in his hand. The trickling noises of him slurping and swallowing became the melody of the night for them. Luhan turned to glance at Namjoo after he finished to see her sleepily leaning against the shop. He nudged her and gestured the cup toward her, but she shook her head.

“Drink some to keep you warm,” he suggested.

“You have it all,” she mumbled.

He peered at her once more before gulping down some of the broth and got up to toss it. When he walked back he stopped in front of her and wanted to smile just because.

“I’ll carry you back.”

“Forget it, I’m not a child,” Namjoo rose to her feet and brushed her knees.

“Come on,” he urged turning his back to her and slightly lowered his posture.

He thought she might refuse again, but to his surprise she slowly climbed on. Securing her arms around him he felt her lean her face toward the back of his neck. Unable to see if she was sleeping or not he slowly walked along the sidewalk in hopes of dragging time.

It wasn’t too hot or too cool and there didn’t seem to be that much wind that night. The flaky stars in the sky flickered on and off above them. The night was like a dark beauty wearing diamonds. Although stars were hard to see due to the city lights Luhan thought their dim lights were entrancing. They could have had a romantic night star gazing and just talking, but instinct told him that Namjoo wasn’t up for it. Plus, she’d been tired and he felt sorry she’d come out.

He felt young again, like they were a couple spending their first innocent night together; perhaps walking along the seashore captivated by the dark, dangerous waves. Or sitting at a bonfire sharing chocolate treats and talking of ghost stories to send the other into shivering fear. Or maybe, this was even better than that.

Namjoo’s arms were around him and he could feel her eased breathing bouncing off him. They’d never taken night walks before under the spotlight of a moon. They’d always preferred nights at the house or watching the city lights shimmer under the sky from the window.

For the first time he was realizing how precious it was just to be together every night. As if a time bomb were ticking or waiting for an e-mail to go through, it wasn’t a lot of time to treasure and that was why it was special.

The pulsating of Namjoo’s heart drummed lightly against his back spreading warmth through his entire whole. It sparked emotions of ambiguity in him and he wanted to turn to kiss her. And just like that they arrived at the front of the ghostly hotel, its sign flickering to its death outside. Luhan stared inside without a desire to head to bed just yet.

He wanted this moment for a bit more. He wanted Namjoo sleeping against him with her arms captivated around him. He wanted to prolong her breath bouncing off his neck. And for another few minutes, he wanted to spend with her anywhere, but in that room where he couldn’t possibly touch her.

“Should we go around the block?” he asked.

Namjoo didn’t respond.

“Then lets go,” he enthusiastically said before walking forward.

When he returned to their room he set her down on the bed gently cupping his hand around her head to lay her down. The hue of the moon magnificently shone into their room, its white light touching the bed. Staring down at her face brought him feelings of content and unable to help himself leaned forward to press a kiss against her cheek.

He awoke when Namjoo shook him the next morning.

“Wake up,” she ordered, “we need to get started.”

He sleepily yawned and stretched before muttering, “Start what?”

“Our plan for a gun, you idiot,” Namjoo replied without patience.

Walking over to his dresser she dug out some clothes and tossed them. They landed on his legs, but Luhan only dug his head back into the pillow shutting his eyes for more sleep. He was spinning in that realm between reality and sleep before Namjoo raised her voice.

“You’re not getting up!?”

Quickly jolting up before she could say anything he closed his eyes again, “I’m up.”

Namjoo seemed to glare as she watched him. “Hurry up, I’ll be outside.”

Heaving a sigh he dragged himself up. When he walked out the front door a few minutes later Namjoo swung her arm out into his chest to hand him a can of coffee.

“Drink it,” she told, “we’ll grab something to snack on along the way.”

“Where are we going?” he wondered popping the can open.

“That gang alley behind Khao San Road.”

Luhan barely choked on the coffee in his mouth before turning to look at her.

“Why are we going there?”

Namjoo shot him a frown before a taxi came their way, “To talk to someone.”

“Someone?”

Grabbing the handle of the car door she twisted around to look at him, “Get in first.”

She turned away and slid into the seat leaving him to follow. Luhan heaved another loud sigh with dislike at how she did everything. When the car started down the road he turned to look at her.

“I did some research yesterday,” Namjoo explained as if sensing his uncertainty. “The alley is supposedly a territory marked by the Bloody Crips.”

“The Bloody Crips?” he repeated.

“That’s what they call themselves,” Namjoo continued, “if we just get in contact with at least one…”

“You know how dangerous gangs are,” Luhan stated, “do you think conversing with one of them is that easy? They’re not going to give anything up…”

“But we’re not after them,” Namjoo retaliated. “Keep that in mind.”

“If that’s so, then let me do the talking.”

Namjoo turned to look at him as if sizing him up.

“You know what they do to women…”

She snorted, “You can’t possibly think that’s going to happen.”

“Well why can’t it?”

Namjoo was left staring at him, he stared back. He wanted her to understand the dangers that were possible, that they weren’t just heard of but that they happened too. And they were facing just that kind of world exactly.

“You know it won’t happen.” Namjoo muttered quietly fiddling with her fingers.

“How wouldn’t I know that it could happen?”

“Why?” she turned back to him with a raise of her voice. “You’re going to let it happen?”

Gritting his teeth he stared back.

Of course not.

He wouldn’t let it happen…ever.

Their conversation ended there. When they finally arrived at Khao San Road Luhan immediately pulled her toward him.

“Don’t go wandering off,” he warned.

She pulled her hand back replying, “I’m not a child.”

Biting his bottom lip he glanced at her once more before they started toward the alley they’d landed upon a few days ago. The pile of garbage was fresh, but this time around there was no pig. It seemed empty except for the broken bottles of beer lying around in a disorderly fashion. There was a tiny puddle of liquid and Luhan made sure to dodge them as well as make sure Namjoo was close to him.

Reaching the end of the alley and its intersections they paused.

“What now?” Luhan wondered. “Doesn’t seem like anyone’s out today. Maybe we should head back.”

“Not yet,” he felt Namjoo step up to his side and look around.

“Hey,” he called out when she took a step forward. “We don’t know this territory. Don’t just recklessly go out there.”

“Or what?” Namjoo slightly turned to look at him.

“Or what?” an unfamiliar voice repeated before they heard footsteps.

Luhan quickly grasped Namjoo’s arm in alarm pulling her back toward him where she collided against his chest. His eyes searched tirelessly for whomever that voice belonged. Soft thuds made his ear twist causing him to immediately turn left and surely someone emerged.

Ripped jeans and a casual t-shirt mocking the flag of the United States wore him up. There was a dangerous prickly beard spaced out unevenly from his side burns down to his face, but he seemed to have no shame of it. His mushroom slicked hair greased with oil slid down both sides of his face evenly as his narrow slits looked them up and down. He didn’t seem to be carrying any relevant weapons, but one could never be too careful.

He slowly started toward them one step at a time before pausing a width of two steps away.

“Ahh?” he sounded leaning forward before swiping his fingers teasingly against Namjoo’s face.

She stood there remotely still staring right at this stranger with absolutely no fear, but Luhan wanted to cut off his fingers.

Suddenly swiping his hand forward he shut his hand around the stranger’s, “Don’t touch her.”

Unamused, the stranger’s eyes immediately switched over to Luhan. The expression in this man’s eyes was no joke. There was no trace of any joking play; it was just a hard stare that meant he was on edge ready to make a move at any given time.

Then pulling his hand back he smirked, “Are you lost or…”

“You one of them?” Namjoo asked without hesitation, her voice strengthened with underlying business.

The man’s brows flicked up into an arch and Luhan tightened his grip around her arm.

“Ah? What’s this?”

“I mean business,” Namjoo began.

The man the corner of his lips and eyed Luhan, “I’ll only talk to one of you…over there.” He cocked his head back.

With a simple twist of her head she looked up at him silently reminding him of their earlier deal. Narrowing his eyes he stared back hoping that Namjoo would give way for him, but she lightly tugged her arm. Gritting his teeth gently he let go of her arm and watched her step forward.

Namjoo had no fear. How she could have such a strong demure in front of anyone as dangerous as this, Luhan would never understand.

#####

The two moved at least eight steps away from Luhan before pausing. If Namjoo ever so slightly glanced back at Luhan it would look as if she’d lost her own ground, as if she followed his instructions wherever she went. What Luhan didn’t understand, was that they needed to look under complete control in this situation so that in the least bit this man could feel their authority.

“Whatcha want, little lady?” he stuck a hand into his pocket and tilted his head up.

Namjoo stared right back at him without hesitation, “I need a weapon, supposedly something like a gun, and someone who can give it to me without administration. You get what I’m saying?”

He snorted, “Why would a little lady need something like that?”

“Shouldn’t you know that answer better than me?” Namjoo lowered her voice. “Around these areas, only top dogs lives, ain’t I right?”

He stared right back at her, evening her eyes out without expression. Namjoo feared for a second that he would turn her away, but that smirk came right back onto his face.

Leaning back ever so slightly he said, “Top dog, you say? You seem to know mighty well about some of our business. You’re an interesting one.”

Keeping her eyes flat, she spoke nothing.

“All right,” he nodded slowly, “I’ll give you something. I know him real well, all right. Go to Phahonyothin Road, blue house 708, remember that. His name’s Fluke.”

He eyed her one more time before twisting around on one leg and walked away. Namjoo stared after him to make sure he was really walking away and when he disappeared around the corner she walked back to Luhan. There was a stern stare in his eyes as if he’d been on edge the whole time she was conversing.

“What’d he say?”

“To go to Phahonyothin Road and look for a blue house with the number 708. There should be a man Fluke there.”

Luhan narrowed his eyes at her as if doubting her, “He gave it to you that easy?”

Namjoo glanced up at him, “We have to at least try.”

“What if he’s toying with us?”

“We’ll deal with that.”

Luhan continued to stare at her as if sorting out every possibility there was to count before turning to look down his left. The intersection in front of them was still empty.

Placing a hand at her back he urged her along, “Come on, lets get going.”