The Heat of The Night

City Blues

#####

“Hands off, buddy!” Namjoo scorned when the guard at the door said he had to check her for anything suspicious. Instead she felt his hands rove over her waist toward her .

Shoving his hands off she snatched her I.D. and walked into the night disco that made up the club. Colors swerved off the walls and music threatened the air into oblivion. It was packed, really packed. Bodies of strangers seemed squished against each other that even making her way into the club seemed uncomfortable.

A tiny bar stand the color of rich black held itself up on her immediate left. Wine glasses hung from little handles above the bartender’s head and various bottles of liquor stood on three shelves behind him. A counter arched around the bar with stools and she spotted a few friends on a night out.

Turning to look forward she spotted a dance floor in front of the platform where the DJ was hard at work under steaming lights. A thin flow of ghastly smoke flowed up from the ground, but only enough to cover the feet of dancers out for play. Leather couches of fading black were placed around the dance floor, but not too close to it that it made it uncomfortable for those who were sitting and those who were up.

There were people sitting, but Namjoo couldn’t see faces. She wasn’t expecting familiar faces, but looking for faces she’d remember. This club didn’t hold the air of gang territory at all. It was very much like…just a night club.

Namjoo slightly stumbled into the wall when impatient people behind her eagerly walked toward the dance floor. The bottom edge of her dress skidded up her leg and she quickly pulled it down before walking forward. It’d been a while since she’d entered a club that it seemed almost foreign to her.

The music echoed into her ears at the beat of each blood cell coursing through her heart. Maybe she wanted to dance, but she wasn’t up for it; at least not when she was alone. The last time she’d danced on a club dance floor was when she’d been with Luhan as a friend. All those petty girls that had tried to get on him returned to her memory and she recalled cheering them on when his eyes begged her to help him escape.

It was those days when she spent minutes kissing strangers out of drunken behavior while Luhan waited for her outside. Yet it was also those days that led them drunk to his place. The night they accidentally did each other in. And look at where she was now…

No, she wouldn’t do anything that wasn’t uncalled for tonight. She just needed to find someone who was in a gang rivaled with Mario’s.

Namjoo watched a waiter with a tray of empty cups walk by and quickly caught his arm, “Excuse me, do you know where I can find the owner of this club?”

“Over there,” the waiter pointed to a man in a casual black jacket, but Namjoo spotted two men sitting on the couch, both in black.

She turned back to the waiter to ask him to clarify for her, but he was already gone. The rest was up to her wits.

Biting onto her lower lip she slowly started toward the couches placed adjacent to each other and leaned to the side in hopes of catching faces. One of them had his ears pierced with two silver earrings and what seemed like tan skin underneath the blinking disco lights. The man sitting beside him was sitting in a strict posture with back straight and hands on knees. He seemed to be watching someone on the dance floor.

Namjoo almost tripped to the side when someone pushed her arm out of the way. She saw a woman in a short skirt and a strapless shirt stride over to the man who had two earrings on one ear. Sitting beside him she his chest and leaned against him whispering words into his ears. He turned to her with the corner of his lips extending toward his ears before turning to give her a kiss too passionate for Namjoo to watch.

Quickly turning away she slightly frowned before turning back to discover her on his lap. What was she? His girlfriend? His flirt? Wife?

She quickly turned away again when the girl got off his lap and walked toward the door behind her marked with ‘Employees Only’. The girl shot Namjoo a criticizing stare before pushing the door open and disappeared behind it. Namjoo turned to watch her go and when she turned back saw that the man with two earrings on one ear walking her way. She had a feeling he was headed toward the door, but she couldn’t let him disappear without getting something from him first.

“Um…ex…excuse me,” she hesitated to reach her hand out to grab his arm.

Thankfully he stopped away and turned to look down at her. His face was pretty thin and long, yet his eyes were broad and well defined. He didn’t look to be over 30, but then again looks were deceiving. The way his cheekbones jutted out made him look distinguishingly handsome. Namjoo had to at least acknowledge that.

“Oh…” she heard him sound as he ran his eyes over her.

As he stepped forward Namjoo stepped back and felt her back hit the wall.

“A new treat in the club? I haven’t seen you around here,” he commented.

“Actually, I just have a few questions.”

“Questions?” he titled his head so that the bridge of his nose barely brushed through her hair.

Intimidated by his height Namjoo lowered her head and felt her eyes land on his waxed shoes.

“I don’t usually answer questions without receiving goods first.”

Biting her tongue she looked up into his face and smiled with a short laugh. “What do you mean, ‘goods’?”

A smirk climbed his face, “I think you know what I mean.”

Namjoo almost grimaced and let out a dissatisfied groan when his hand landed on her thigh and started up toward the edge of her dress.

“So, pretty, what was it you had to ask?”

Her insides shook, but she had to restrain herself. If she lashed out the worst thing that could happen was she’d get jumped by his crew mates in the club. Namjoo felt the calloused tips of his fingers run under the cloth of the dress and bit her tongue in hopes of finding the words she hadn’t prepared beforehand.

However, before she could think on, a loud crash resonated throughout the club.

#####

The stars were twinkling, but they couldn’t reach the depth of Luhan’s eyes as he stepped out of the taxi. There was a gray glow coming from the full moon and Luhan thought that the dark clouds hovering over it were as gloomy as how he’d foolishly felt earlier.

For a second, for almost an hour he’d thought Namjoo was sincerely being concerned about him. She brought him food and medication, but they were all lies. Namjoo had tricked him and he easily fell for it. The mere thought over how simply he’d fallen into her cat trap made him so upset.

The alley Namjoo had first brought him to came into view. It was empty and not a soul was in sight, so he daringly walked into it. At the end of the alley stood four busy night clubs; all beside each other. Each one blinding him with their colorful lights as their music poured into the night.

Which one…which one had Namjoo gone to?

Randomly choosing one he stepped in and found himself suffocated by the volume of the music and the scent of overwhelming alcohol. He scouted the place, but there was no Namjoo. Making his exit he entered the next club and even had to be checked by the front door before being allowed him.

A few of the women who were smoking by the front door stared at the bandage on his forehead as he passed by. Someone called out to him, but he ignored it and walked on. A hallway planted with black tiles led him in and he spotted a bar on his left. Cautiously scanning each person’s face because he wasn’t sure how Namjoo had dressed up took up a short minute before he turned.

Ahead of him he spotted a really tall man standing in front of a woman, their positions almost intimately close. Luhan swerved his attention away, but quickly shifted it back to the two and felt his eyes grow stern when he recognized Namjoo.

An exasperated snort left him and he felt anger rage through him when she allowed that man’s hand on her leg. He was going to kill her. Not literally, but she was going to be sorry.

Wrapping his hand into a fist to keep himself under control instead of stomping over toward them and beating the hell out of that man he turned toward the bar. There was a man who was currently dozing off, bent forward with face buried in his arms. Luhan backtracked toward him and eyed the bartender who was busy tending to his customers on the other side of the counter before glancing around. No one seemed to be paying him any attention. Now was his chance.

Skillfully reaching his hand back he pulled a wallet out from the man’s back pocket and tossed it to the floor where it landed underneath a table by the doorway. Pressing his lips together he searched around with his eyes for anyone that might have caught him doing so. Again, everyone seemed to absorbed in their own business.

Then elbowing the man awake Luhan said, “I think I saw someone take your wallet.”

“Huh?” the man sat up, looked around, and felt his pockets.

“I think I saw him take it,” Luhan nodded toward the man who was trying to impress a chick with his brand name clothes.

The drunk man angrily slid off his seat and walked over to the man. Luhan watched them argue and the drunk man quickly fumed up with anger upon the other’s denial. The drunk man grabbed the collars of the innocent and shook him. As expected the innocent man decided to put up a fight, but it wasn’t really what Luhan had pictured as a distraction.

Instead, the drunk man went flying through the air toward the bar and crashed into the alcohol beverages sitting on the shelves.  A loud crash echoed throughout the club and Luhan slowly backed away from the scene. When he turned to walk away he spotted the innocent man’s friends coming to his aid to take the drunk man on.

Twisting around he peered toward the couches and spotted Namjoo alone.

#####

“What the hell…” Namjoo heard him mumble. “I’ll be back. You wait here.”

Her lips dropped apart to ask what was going on. As he ran off she peered back toward the bar to see that some men were fighting with each other. Curious about what had happened she started toward the scene, but felt someone tighten their grasp around her lower arm and drag her away.

Namjoo was adamant on putting up a fight, but when she turned she saw Luhan. Her heart instantly jumped in worry or perhaps panic.

“Yah…” she began, “what are you doing here?”

“You have the guts to ask me that?” he turned around to shoot her a glare.

“At least let go of me.”

“No!”

Her brow deepened and she watched the man she’d had earlier tearing the two who were fighting apart. She was going to lose her good chance if she left the club.

“Luhan! Let go! I mean it!” Namjoo tugged back, but Luhan fiercely tightened his grip on her. “Let go! You’re hurting me!”

“Then bruise up!” he shouted back as they made it outside.

Namjoo felt an instant heat of anger exhaust through her and tried to pull back bringing them to a stop in the alley.

“You’re not letting go?!” Namjoo screamed. “I was onto something! What is wrong with you?!”

“Onto something?” Luhan deliberately repeated in a mocking tone. “Onto what? Onto flirting with him?!”

Namjoo frowned, “You’re screwing things up!”

“That doesn’t seem like it to me,” Luhan pulled her forward and Namjoo felt her heels skid against the concrete before she was forced to walk after him if she didn’t want to ridiculously fall down.

“You’re really going to be like this?” Namjoo questioned when Luhan stopped by the road for a taxi. She tried tugging her arm back, but it was a useless attempt. “Don’t you feel ashamed dragging me around like a dog?”

“No,” Luhan turned to her, “men do it all the time to their women in Thailand.”

Namjoo’s eyes settled on his angry expression and had the urge to hit the other side of his head with a wrench. Instead she punched his shoulder with her free hand.

“I’m not as pathetic as so to have you pull me around like a thing,” Namjoo pounded her fist into his shoulder again. Deepening her tone she ordered, “Let go.”

He stated back at her through what was now the narrowed slit of his eyes before a taxi finally drew up to the curb. Namjoo felt her lips part upon realizing she was drawing further away from the club. When she turned to glance back Luhan pulled her inside and slammed the door.

When they arrived at the ghostly hotel Namjoo continued putting up a fight with him as he lugged her along.

“You’re not embarrassed walking in like this? At least let go of me now! Damn you, Luhan! What the hell is wrong with you!?”

Anyhow, Luhan ended up pulling her after him through the door and toward the stairs. Namjoo continuously fought to keep up for the sake of not breaking an ankle. He finally let go of her when the door of their room closed behind her. There was a tight pain coursing through her lower arm, but Namjoo was angrier now. Not only had he sabotaged her plan, but he’d dragged her back like a ‘thing’.

They stood there glaring at each other shooting daggers through their eyes. Namjoo wanted to slam him against the wall and make him feel the pain she was feeling right then. She was sick of the sight of him and how he seemed to act like she couldn’t do anything alone here in Bangkok. As if she needed him to watch her back at all times.

Too angry for words Namjoo spun around to grab the doorknob. She wouldn’t be able to stand even just one more night with him in this room. It made her feel sick and dirty and who knew what she’d be up to doing to him if they slept that night. Perhaps she might even choke him in his sleep.        

All these angry and dirty thoughts infiltrated her mind, which told her she needed out. When she pulled the door open Luhan slammed his hand against it forcing it shut.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Namjoo let out an angry snort, “Any place so I won’t have to look at you.”

An angry smile filtered across his face, “Ah…you’re always running away. To where? The club?”

Namjoo gritted her teeth and purposely screamed, “Yes! Any place is better than here with you! I can’t even stand the sight of you or your voice!”

She felt her hands shake in utter anger as she went on and pounded her chest, “Life would be even better if you didn’t exist! I feel like I’m walking a nightmare with you! I always feel like this room is a prison where I can’t move without being watched, ridiculed, or made small! I’m so tired of you I feel so choked up wherever you are that I can’t even breathe! I don’t need you! I should have left you to die out there!”

Luhan’s eyes widened at shock over her impulsive words and Namjoo clasped her lips together realizing what she’d just done. Too late, Luhan grabbed her arm again and dragged her into the bathroom where he grabbed the shower handle, the water, and forced her to lean over as he sprayed water violently over her.

“Your words are as ugly as you, I think you need a little bit of cleansing!” he muttered and held her down with even more force when she tried to sprang back up. However Namjoo screamed and tried to pull out of the way, Luhan’s strength was far greater than hers.

When he finally let her back up Namjoo panted angrily and glared at him. The cold water dripped over her scalp down her face and toward her shoulders. She felt like an iceberg, a hot one.

“You have so much guts, don’t you?” Luhan asked through gritted teeth. “You think you deserve so much freedom, I think you need a little restraint before it kills you.”

She watched him drop the shower handle before stepping toward her. Namjoo stood her ground and watched him sternly.

“Without me you can do whatever you please, isn’t that right? Your world is so great without me, isn’t it? Kim Namjoo, who has the heart of a bear; who feels she’s invincible in the eyes of five men; who’ll let anyone put their hands on her so she can get what she wants. You’re so stubborn, aren’t you?

“So you want to relive your wild life,” Luhan said underneath his breath, “or are you looking for someone to get up your skirt?”

Namjoo gripped her hand into a tight fist.

“Are you that desperate?” He gripped her waist pulling her body forward before his other hand grabbed her upper thigh. “Then why didn’t you just ask me?” 

Insulted, Namjoo pushed him away suddenly regretting that she hadn’t slapped him. Grabbing the shower handle she sprayed it directly into his face.

“You’re so shameless, aren’t you!?” she screamed. “I’ll wash some sense back into you!”

He threw his hands out to defend himself and fought to grab the shower handle from her. They struggled for a long minute before he finally tossed it back into the tub loudly and grabbed her arm to drag her out. Leaving her by the corner of the bed he rummaged through his drawer for a jacket and threw it at her.

“Put that on, you look like a e.” Luhan ordered.

Namjoo dug her nails into his stupid jacket before dropping it to the ground and stepped on it, taking care to ground it with the heels she’d borrowed all the while glaring at him. Their eyes locked into another silent fight.

Without further argument she walked out heavy with emotions of all sorts.  She almost left the ghostly hotel before she recalled she had no money and no phone. Pausing midway she turned toward the receptionist, who’d seen Luhan drag her in and who was now looking at her, who most likely looked disoriented. She could imagine that there was makeup streaking down her face, her drenched hair hanging around her like snakes, and her face as red as a ripe apple.

Namjoo was embarrassed to face the woman.

“Is it alright if I borrow the phone?” Namjoo asked. 


***Ah...their rough fight and now back to square one. They really know how to push each other's buttons. 

***And now for who shall confront the face of jealousy first: Luhan or Namjoo?