Sunggyu's Troubles

Lovely Balcony

That was the last he saw of them for the weekend. He wondered why the brothers randomly showed up (and at the perfect time too) that Friday but, after hearing Haneul and Yeunja talking about it in their room, he quickly understood that Yeunja invited them over when they dropped her off. She must have really taken a liking to them.

He had to admit, both brothers were handsome, dashing, and really easy on the eyes. He didn’t blame her in the slightest. It did, however, shame him to see such obvious advances made by his sister. Had she no shame? At least Haneul acted her age…mostly. She would turn into a fifteen year old whenever Yeunja told her about what Woohyun did or what Myungsoo said.

After another week, Sunggyu found out that the only time his sister saw both brothers was after school. They didn’t share a single class. It made Sunggyu wonder how in the world she knew about their whereabouts and what they talked about, at least until he heard that it wasn’t only her that was interested in what they did, but a majority of the girls in his classes as well.

 

 

“I have Woohyun for Physics. I don’t know how they expect me to concentrate on the lesson when he sits right in front of me.”

They were sitting in their English class working on an assignment. Sunggyu simply shook his head. He wondered what kind of witch craft Woohyun was using to affect the girls so much. He had the entire girl population swooning over him.

“But he tends to look out the window a lot, especially when we have problems assigned from the book. Oh my God, girls, he has the most perfect nose I’ve ever seen.”

Sunggyu couldn’t help the little stifled laugh that escaped him when he heard that. His nose? Even the nose had its own following? He even had Miss Popular Park Gyuri admiring his face extremities. He must have sprinkled some kind of pixie dust on everyone’s eyes.

“Why are you laughing, Kim Sunggyu? Have you not seen it?”

“No, not really,” he responded, glancing up at the girl sitting in front of him before returning his attention to the work on the desk.

“Well you see him every day after school, take a closer look. Those brothers look like they came out of a magazine,” the girl huffed in slight annoyance, “Your sister is really lucky she gets to ride home with them.”

Sunggyu dismissed her with a shrug. It was starting to seem like every girl wanted to become his sister. He’d hear it at least once when he stopped to talk to a group of girls. He also found himself greeting more and more girls. He figured they thought they’d get closer to Woohyun if they befriended a friend of his. He didn’t bother with it. He’d only greet them politely before moving on.

He would deny it later, if anyone asked, but he couldn’t help but to really survey Woohyun’s nose after school that same day. It was straight bridged, pointy, and just very nice looking. He noticed that his nose really was perfect. His face fell a little noticeably when he realized that.

The worst part had to be that the damned nose gained another admirer.

 

 

“Are you okay?” Dongwoo asked once they were far enough away from school.

The older male didn’t look too happy.

“Fine,” he answered as he waved goodbye to the trio on the bikes.

He inspected Woohyun’s nose from a distance and refused Dongwoo’s, “Let’s go say hi.”

“You’re rejecting us again?” Woohyun yelled after them.

He was mounted on the bike and was looking at the guys as they continued to walk. Sunggyu let another wave answer for him before clinging onto Dongwoo.

“I hate the girls at this school,” Sunggyu mumbled.

“Okay… when did hating-the-entire-girl-population-at-school start…?” Dongwoo asked uncertainly.

His friend was a little upset for a while and this sudden declaration of hatred worried him.

“Since they started gushing over noses.”

“What?” the blond male asked.

Sunggyu proceeded to explain his dilemma. Dongwoo could only laugh at his exaggerated misery. It wasn’t like such a thing was worth the attention, and it was proved as Sunggyu kept glancing up at his hair. He was positively sure that Dongwoo’s hair was a light brown yesterday, but looking at him now, it was lighter. A lot lighter. He was a little afraid to ask why he bleached it. There could be only one reason to why his hair suddenly changed color.

“Kkotip asked me to be her practice doll for dying hair…,” the short male finally stated as he noticed the wandering eyes.

“What?!” Sunggyu exclaimed.

He groaned when he realized that Haneul was more than likely to ask him to do the same sooner or later.

 

 

It was definitely a lot sooner than he anticipated.

Haneul clasped her hands in front of her, pleading up at her brother, her best pity-inducing pout on her rosy lips.

“You’ll let me dye it, right? Right?” she asked desperately.

“Haneul, I can’t. I have homework I need to get to today,” Sunggyu tried to reason.

“I promise it won’t take long!” she continued.

“Dongwoo already had his hair dyed today, why didn’t you even bring this up?” her only brother asked.

“Well…!” her voice dropped as she continued to speak, “because I…forgot…,” she quickly bounced back, “But you’d forget too if you got home and your sister kept distracting you!” she said as she pointed behind Sunggyu at the culprits’ house.

“Well then ask her,” he said sternly before closing the door on her nose.

“Sunggyu!” she whined behind the door as she practically glued herself to it.

“No.”

“What’s going on?” the brunet’s eyes widened in panic.

He would recognize that voice anywhere. It was his mother.

“Mom! Sunggyu won’t let me practice on him! I really need to for tomorrow’s exam!” she continued with her whiny voice.

He could picture her pouting at her mother and draping herself over her dramatically. Things were not going to end well. He could feel it.

“Sunggyu!” the knocks came soon after and Sunggyu groaned, hanging his head in defeat before answering.

“Let your sister practice on you! Her grades are at stake here!”

And that was how Sunggyu was sitting in the middle of the master restroom, sulking as his sister hummed a tune to bring the mood up. It was safe to say it wasn’t working for the male. At all.

Starlight, I will be chasing the starlight, until the end of my life. I don’t know if it’s worth it anymore,” she started singing, making Sunggyu raise a brow.

“How do you even know that song?”

“I practically live in your room, Sunggyu dearest,” she said teasingly as she gave a hard tug to his hair, making the other complain.

“You’re abusing me. I’m gonna call CPS,” he threatened but it only made his sister laugh.

“Stop being such a baby. I’m almost done with your coloring,” she said as she continued to apply the last of the mixture on the back of his head.

Sunggyu had no idea as to what she was doing but he only sighed. He tried to ask, on many occasions, about what color she was dying it, but Haneul kept shut on the matter or would go for the more entertaining method, she would . First she said green, then pink, then gray. Sunggyu was slowly dying inside but he hoped his sister wasn’t as vengeful as she wanted to come off as. She was probably dying it a light brown.

Please let it be light brown…

“Okay done!” she said as she placed a bag over his hair and tied it up, “You are free to attend to your homework! I’ll go get you in a little while in order to rinse the dye off of your hair~,” she said happily as she shooed him out of the bathroom, not giving him a chance to glance at the bowl in which she mixed his color.

 

 

Sunggyu averted his gaze for the millionth time that day. It didn’t fail.

You’ll be turning heads, Gyu, his sister exclaimed happily the night before. Of course she didn’t show him the choice of color until she dried and styled it accordingly.

It wasn’t horrible, he supposed, after staring at his reflection for a good half-hour, half horrified and half fascinated. There was no way he was going to blend into the crowd. He was going to be the center of attention at their high school for a time to come, but at least the color complemented his skin really nicely.

He hated that he couldn’t entirely be mad at Haneul for that.

He looked around for his cheery friend and his jaw nearly dropped when he saw Dongwoo’s hair color. It was pink. Or was it purple…?

“Woah! Sunggyu, your hair looks awesome!” Dongwoo greeted the other as he waved him over.

Sunggyu’s lunch schedule changed, hopefully for good (his teacher had a tendency of forgetting they had lunch in the middle of the period and decided to let the kids have the first lunch in order to not worry about it later).

“Kill me now,” he stated dramatically as he took a seat next to Dongwoo and draped himself over the lunch table.

“Nice hair,” he heard a deep voice say and he lightly tilted his head to the side to take a peek.

It was Woohyun, and he seemed amused by his behavior. Sunggyu only grunted in response. Dongwoo laughed at his best friend before patting his back reassuringly.

“What the heck are our sisters thinking? And why does that color look really good on you?” Sunggyu questioned, completely stunned that such colors were actually working for their appearance.

“It’s what they’re studying! It looks good Gyu, I promise. Now let’s get some lunch.”

Sunggyu didn’t even wonder why the other wasn’t the least bit disturbed by his appearance. Dongwoo was never the kind to worry about anything but what was important to him. That included dancing, music, his friends and his family. It wasn’t that he liked drawing attention to himself either. He was simply like that. His distinct laughter would turn heads if his face hadn’t done it already. He also happened to be very affectionate.

“Was it a bad dye job or…?” Woohyun questioned as they made their way to the lunch line, staring intently at the pretty bright color on the other’s head as he walked ahead of him.

Sunggyu was using Dongwoo’s shoulder as a solid object to punish his forehead on.

Dongwoo laughed, “No, we’re technically guinea pigs for our sisters… so I’m sure this was planned.”

“She’s evil…,” Sunggyu stated as he turned to face Woohyun, “Don’t ever get on her good side, or offer to be her practice subject.”

Woohyun only laughed at the grave tone the older male was using, “Don’t worry. I won’t.”

The red head sighed before looking around, “Where’s Myungsoo-yah?”

“He’s always a little late. I didn’t know he liked that computer class so much…,” Woohyun trailed off but quickly turned his attention back to Sunggyu. The line was moving at a moderate pace. Dongwoo turned to another line, scanning the people to see if he recognized anyone. He found someone soon enough and began yelling across the cafeteria to another line across the room. They turned to see the younger Nam brother already in line. Sunggyu and Dongwoo waved to them, recognizing the people Myungsoo was with.

“Who are they?” Woohyun asked when they turned their attention back to their line.

He saw that cluster of guys around before but he didn’t really pay much attention to it. It had to be the jocks, there was no other explanation for it.

“Jerks, I mean, jocks,” Sunggyu corrected, making Dongwoo snicker.

“Oh,” he said knowingly as he turned to look at them again. He raised a brow when he saw one leaving the line. He wasn’t tall when standing next to the others but he had a strong built and a piercing gaze. He was heading in their direction. He watched as the guy leaned over the railing that guided the line and pulled on Sunggyu’s hair. A surprised yelp left the senior’s lips as he turned, a scowl firmly in place.

“Hoya, what the hell!?” he asked as he soothed the patch of skin that was aggravated.

The guy chuckled as he took a turn on pulling Dongwoo’s hair as well, albeit a bit more gently, “I was sure you guys were wearing wigs… what happened?”

“Sisters,” Dongwoo answered with a smile.

He examined their hair for a moment longer before humming, “It kind of suits you though…”

“Really?” Dongwoo asked, his face brightening at the complement.

Sunggyu could only smile at his best friend’s reaction. He thanked Hoya in his mind for actually liking the new look and not saying anything mean to him.

“Yeah, I’ll see you guys later!” he said as his goodbye before jogging over to his friends.

Sunggyu resisted the urge to say anything but there was a big smile on his face that he directed to his friend. Dongwoo returned it and said nothing more, leaving Woohyun in the dark, unbeknown to him. It was a couple of moments before they were carrying their trays back to a table and sitting down.

There was something that was bothering Sunggyu and it involved his new neighbor. He agreed with Dongwoo about the Nam brother’s liking Yeunja, enough to offer her a ride home every day after school. He knew there had to be some ulterior motives. He didn’t really believe in people giving things for free, much less when it involved a guy and a girl. There was always, always, an ulterior motive when it came to guys. He’d learned that unpleasantly (overhearing conversations in the locker room when he had p.e. back during his first two years in high school).

The way he saw it, he had one way of making sure it didn’t happen: scare him off. He decided to go with the overprotective brother role.

“So Woohyun,” Sunggyu called.

The younger male looked up from his burger with a questioning gaze, Dongwoo doing the same, “What exactly are your intentions with Yeunja.”