Soccer Bonds

Lovely Balcony

“What are they waiting on? They’ve been standing around for a while now,” Sunggyu asked.

It wasn’t long until they saw someone leave the group a little ways away to get on the phone.

“Maybe on more people? The captain isn’t here,” Dongwoo observed.

There was another discussion going on before they watched them break to get into their positions. Hoya and Myungsoo were in one team while Woohyun was on the other. The two friends watched quietly as they finally started with a kick-off.

It was to be expected but all the players were incredibly impressive. Sunggyu and Dongwoo didn’t know much about the sport but they found themselves cheering on when the teams were close to making a goal. Hoya was a fierce attacker. He’d have the opposing team on their toes as soon as he got close enough to shoot a goal. Likewise, Jonghyun was a good defender and was faster than their friend.

“Jonghyun that’s not fair! Stop blocking!” Sunggyu yelled.

The male blocked a total of three shots that were a sure goal for Hoya’s team. Taemin and Kibum seemed to think otherwise if the cheers and shouts of “good job” was anything to go by.

Hey! Stop encouraging him!” Sunggyu yelled at the two friends.

It only resulted in the two shouting louder and making more racket, making Dongwoo and Sunggyu laugh. Fifteen minutes passed by with loud shouts, cheers, and chanting. Myungsoo managed to score a goal thanks to Hoya. The soccer players didn’t really take the two brothers seriously, mostly because they were sure they weren’t very skilled. While it was true that their skills weren’t honed or practiced regularly, they were more than formidable opponents, as Woohyun proved by the two goals he scored.

“Good job guys!” Sunggyu congratulated them as they made their way to the two friends sitting under the tree.

“I’m so thirsty. Why didn’t we bring anything to drink?” Woohyun asked as he sat on the ground and laid back against the cool blades of grass.

“I dunno,” Hoya replied as he picked a spot next to Dongwoo and laid his head on a thigh.

“You’re sweaty!” Dongwoo protested but made no effort to move. The male looked pretty tired.

“I’ll go buy you guys something to drink,” Sunggyu offered as he made to stand.

“Aw man, did we miss the first half?” they heard someone say.

All attention turned to the two males that just arrived.

“Just missed it,” Dongwoo replied as he greeted with a nod.

He hummed in disapproval before speaking again, “Jinki told me you guys were gonna be here so we made a quick pit-stop. You guys thirsty?” He held up a bag filled with water bottles.

At the quick reaction of the three that were sprawled on the ground he laughed. He handed all of them the cold waters and even offered some to Sunggyu and Dongwoo, to which they took gratefully.

“I’ll be back. I gotta meet the guys.”

“That was nice of him,” Woohyun said as he wiped the excess water from his chin.

He took a huge gulp from it and didn’t exactly care about the water that escaped his mouth at that particular moment.

“He’s a kid with good manners,” Sunggyu agreed.

“You’re pretty damn good with that ball,” Hoya said as he turned his attention to Woohyun after drinking more than half the bottle of water.

“I’m good at everything,” Woohyun countered, making his brother snort.

The junior turned to Myungsoo stiffly, his eyes giving him a clear indication of shut up before I hurt you. The sophomore merely shrugged before returning to rest down on the grass.

“Sure, sure. Little show off,” Hoya said as he too returned to resting.

He shot a charming smile to the red head to which the other returned before shaking his head, “Nam Woohyun, you are so full of yourself.”

That caused the group to break out into small chuckles.

“I am not! But you know you love me,” he stated confidently however, it made Sunggyu’s smile fall a bit, “I’m irresistible.”

He lowered his gaze to the grass, “Everyone and their dog loves you, Woohyun.”

Another small bout of chuckles filled the air.

You love me too, right?” he asked teasingly.

Sunggyu’s gaze lifted to meet the junior and his eyes widened considerably. Woohyun was smiling that infuriatingly cute and foolish smile while forming a heart with his hands. Woohyun was using… aegyo…?

“Because I love Sunggyu the most.”

A kick to his side toppled him over in a heap of laughter. Myungsoo, Hoya and even Dongwoo started complaining about how cheesy and embarrassing the other was, Hoya going so far as banishing him from the group, but Woohyun took it all in stride, laughing at the expressions Hoya made as he tried doing more cute things just to mess with him. After the third set of ‘buing buings’ Hoya got up and tackled him down, Myungsoo joining in a little after just to inflict pain on his brother and not be entirely blamed for it.

Sunggyu shook his head as he laughed at the sudden cries of Woohyun giving up and being sorry.

“He’s lying,” the red head provided, which resulted in another bout of Hoya trying to pull some odd wannabe wrestling move with his legs that only made everyone else laugh at how ridiculous he looked.

Hoya gave up in the end and just laid there, laughing at Dongwoo’s red face, “I can’t breathe!” the pink haired male managed to say between his laughter as he fell over to Sunggyu’s lap.

“You guys are going to kill them,” the red head said as he caught sight of Myungsoo pretty much rolling around on the grass. He still wore a big smile on his face too. He shifted his attention to Woohyun who was laying face down. He was breathing hard but he wasn’t laughing. He didn’t see what the others did so he was just resting and trying to catch his breath. Sunggyu’s brow rose when he saw the smile that crossed the other’s lips suddenly. And then he was sending miniature hearts with his thumb and index finger to the older male.

Sunggyu felt his face grow even warmer than it was and he was about to incriminate him with Hoya to make him stop, but the sudden voice he heard directed his attention to it.

“It’s like I’m watching little kids. Hoya, I think you need more practice, man,” it was Junho.

“Don’t talk to me right now,” the other said, waving a hand lazily to match his words. He was tired from all that running and now the laughing. They were supposed to be resting, not exerting themselves more.

Sunggyu smiled warmly at him and the male took the opportunity to sit next to him, legs slightly touching.

“Is there a possibility of me joining the next half?” Junho asked Hoya.

“I guess so, but we’d have to sit someone out.”

It was amusing how fast Myungsoo’s hand shot up, “I volunteer.”

It made the other’s chuckle.

“Is the baby tired?” Woohyun teased as he crawled over and poked Myungsoo’s side, forcing him to roll away unsuccessfully.

“Sunggyu,” the younger male called, his voice just shy of sounding whiny.

“Leave Soo alone Woohyun,” the other responded on auto-pilot but definitely not hesitant in defending the younger of the two.

Woohyun scowled down at his brother before deciding to use him as a human mattress.

“Dude… What the hell,” Hoya laughed when he saw the two. Woohyun decided to lay on his stomach on top of the other. It was at that moment that Hoya yelled, “Dog pile!”

It was amusing to see Hoya and Dongwoo practically shoot up, Woohyun and Myungsoo’s muffled yells of “no wait!” going completely unnoticed as grunts escaped them instead. Sunggyu wasn’t that far behind. He made sure everyone was properly placed and balanced before sitting on top of Dongwoo’s back.

“Ugh, is that Sunggyu? Why does it feel like a baby elephant just climbed on top of us,” Hoya complained.

Hey!” the red head yelled, completely flustered before getting up. He moved Dongwoo out of the way before very mercilessly resting his elbow in the middle of Hoya’s back and putting his entire weight on it.

“Ah! Ah-ah! Okay I’m sorry I’m sorry! You’re as light as a feather!” the athletic male yelled as he tried to thrash around.

He rolled off the other two once the painful pressure on his back was removed. He coughed dramatically afterwards. He was quickly forgotten as Junho called to the red haired male.

Hey, did you see Nell’s teaser?”

Sunggyu and Woohyun’s reactions seemed identical. They both gasped as they turned to look at each other.

“That was today!” Woohyun exclaimed. He quickly sat up from where he was as Sunggyu pulled his phone out of his pocket.

“Ugh, I can’t believe I forgot! After we talked about it last night,” Sunggyu threw a look at Dongwoo who moved over the moment he saw Woohyun head over to them.

“I forgot too! We had something more important to take care of, Sunggyu,” the other retorted without real heat.

Sunggyu only managed to stealthily stick his tongue out, making Woohyun laugh at his childish antics, “Let’s watch it together.”

The red head only hummed in agreement. He tried to ignore the fact that currently Woohyun was on his right, his whole body leaning against his, while Junho was on his left, leaning against him as well. He could only swallow a lump in his throat as he tapped away on his screen.

Now that just wasn’t fair.

Dongwoo stood to stretch and walk around a bit, but in reality he wanted to see Sunggyu’s face. He wondered what kind of expression this kind of situation brought to the other’s face. He wanted to laugh out loud at the intensely concentrated face of the other. His cheeks were slightly tinted pink and he could see his unoccupied hand clenched in his lap.

Sunggyu never thought the day would come when he wouldn’t pay the slightest attention to anything Nell related.

“Ah, they didn’t give us any lyrics for the song,” Woohyun complained when the screen finally went black.

“You like Nell too?” Junho asked as he leaned over to get a look at the male on the other side of Sunggyu.

“Yeah. I was surprised when I found out he was a fan. We nearly got married because of it.”

Sunggyu scoffed at the male and pushed him away, “Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Not married, but I was nearly replaced,” Dongwoo stated with arms crossed and a light pout on his lips.

“Ah…,” Junho seemed to understand, “I didn’t get into Nell until I met this guy. Really, it used to be the only thing he talked about back in the day.”

“It was not!” The red head defended.

“Kim Jongwan this, Kim Jongwan that. He said he’d totally marry him if he ever got the chance.”

Sunggyu gasped, “That is not true! Stop putting words in my mouth!”

The group broke out into laughter as they watched the red head physically abuse Jinki’s cousin until he sent him tumbling down with a hard push.

“Jinki! Come get your cousin he’s being a pest!” he called half-heartedly over his shoulder as he tried to roll him further away from the group.

“Sunggyu seems like the type to say that,” Woohyun smiled at the thought.

Dongwoo smiled. It was definitely no big secret to anyone that Sunggyu’s love for Nell was pretty strong. It was a group that got him through those troubling nights of ingraining study habits to become as good as his father wanted. The music, soothing and dark as it was, got him through his slight depression of coming to terms with his ual orientation as well. The music got him through the hardest years of his life.

“Not you too…,” he crossed his arms defiantly; “This is why you’re not my favorite.”

Anything else that could have been said was forgotten as Jonghyun called out to Hoya, “Dojoon is here!”

It was instinct for everyone to turn to look at the approaching male. Sunggyu made a slight grimace when he saw who he was accompanied with. Hoya was the one who spoke out everyone’s thoughts.

“What’s he doing with her?”

Attached to his right arm was none other than Park Gyuri. Sunggyu let out a small noise of annoyance as he glared at her before turning his attention to the phone in his hand. Sunggyu heard from Yeunja about her history with Dojoon. It turned out that the soccer captain was showing an interest in Yeunja for a while (and it wasn’t one sided from what she told him) but ever since the whole ordeal with the Nam brothers, Gyuri made it her mission to draw the captain away from her out of spite.

“What took you so long?” Hoya asked as he stood, joining the rest of the soccer team who began to gather.

The answer was lost with the commotion and the others were left to stare at the group of guys.

“Who’s she?” Junho asked the red head, sensing the atmosphere change.

That is a venomous snake, so watch your back,” Dongwoo answered, giving Junho a pointed look.

“Looks like she’s sunk her fangs pretty deep in the captain,” Myungsoo mused aloud.

Junho’s brows rose at the less than nice comments by both guys.

“Guys let’s go! Junho! You’re playing right?” Hoya yelled from a little ways away.

The sudden yell definitely drew other onlooker’s attention to them. Junho yelled a quick affirmative before turning his attention to the red head, “Watch me,” he smiled handsomely before standing to follow the brothers out into the field.

Sunggyu’s eyes followed the male, the small smile that he gave in return growing the further he walked away.

“Ohh, ‘watch me’,” Dongwoo tried to mimic but ended up giggling instead.

Sunggyu laughed as well, covering his face in embarrassment. Well, he figured the guy would have some good moves. Soccer was his hobby since before two years ago so he wondered how well he would do against the varsity soccer team of his school.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything about being confident…,” he murmured between his hands before pulling them away. It was a thought he voiced out loud but Dongwoo heard it pretty clear. His pink haired friend laughed.

“What is it that you like about Woohyun anyway?”

Sunggyu’s brows rose at the sudden question. He scratched his temple in an attempt to buy time but it hardly helped. That was a question that didn’t really cross his mind and so he was at a loss as to how to answer it. The junior didnt exactly do anything specific. He was handsome and the traits that made him Woohyun simply appealed to him. He was polite, he owned a cute smile, an oddly placed cute dimple, intense eyes, a strong mindset, and he was really easy to get along with. He was a simple guy.

“…He’s nice.”

Dongwoo gave him a rare look, the one that stated that he was not amused and that he’d better be kidding. It was Sunggyu’s turn to giggle.

“I don’t really know Dongwoo. He’s handsome and he’s easygoing. We have a lot of things in common. He’s a loser and he’s cool all at the same time… I mean, what do you want to hear? Even I don’t understand it…”

“Well that’s a lot more helpful than ‘he’s nice,’ you know.”

“Yeah well, he’s nice too.”

They sat in silence as they watched the game that started without their knowledge. Each of them naturally found a person to set their gaze on as they moved back and forth. The field looked a little more crowded with the extra two people added in, but it was just what they needed. There was definitely a lot more movement than before and a lot more yelling by the players.

“Jonghyun stay with your mark!”

“Dongwoon’s open!”

“Keep your eyes on Dojoon!”

“Go, go, go!” Sunggyu yelled suddenly as he watched the ball being dribbled continuously between Woohyun and Junho towards the opposing team’s goal. Junho’s footwork was amazing and he’d feint a kick or a pass as the captain tried to tackle and kick the ball from his control.

“Gikwang don’t leave your mark!” Hoya yelled as he tried to back up the captain. Leaving Woohyun completely open was not an option, especially when the tussle was less than ten feet from the goal.

It was at that moment that Junho saw the opening. He kicked the ball between Dojoon’s legs, successfully passing Gikwang who was left to stare as the ball whizzed right by him. Woohyun used the ball’s momentum to kick it towards the goal. The goalie’s instinct was right, but his body was not fast enough.

Cheers erupted from the scoring side as they gathered around Junho and Woohyun while the goalie went to retrieve the ball. Sunggyu watched the two guys laugh with each other as they made their way to the opposite side of the field. They were talking and patting each other’s backs as the rest of the team complimented them and did the same.

Sunggyu sighed thoughtfully as he watched them from the sidelines.

“Come on Myungsoo! You’re falling behind!” Dongwoo yelled.

The younger brother merely turned to look at the best friends before throwing his hands up in the air. It was unnecessary to mention but at the end of the game, the Nam brother’s and one Lee Junho definitely earned the respect of the varsity team. The winning team was Woohyun’s.