Impossible

Lovely Balcony

“Sunggyu~!” Dongwoo yelled cheerfully as he opened the door to his best friend’s room.

What he saw unsettled him a bit. Sunggyu was on his stomach clutching a pillow to his face, completely unmoving. Dongwoo sighed as he closed the door behind him, “Ok what’s up? I leave you alone for two days and you’re already trying to smother yourself.”

When his best friend still didn’t so much as twitch he began to worry, “Sunggyu, get up!” he spanked the other’s . That was enough for the other to start and glare, his hand going to soothe the pain away.

“Are you gonna tell me what’s wrong?”

Sunggyu dropped his head into the pillow again before pushing himself up, sitting cross legged as he gained Dongwoo’s full attention. He took a deep breath, “I’m just…” he exhaled, “confused.”

“About what?”

Sunggyu stared off into space for a moment before rustling his hair into a disorganized mess, “Woohyun is just so…!”

Dongwoo laughed, “So what? Handsome? y?”

Please don’t help me out here,” the dark haired male grimaced, “He annoys me so much!”

“What did he do?”

So Sunggyu proceeded to explain the situation of the day before. Dongwoo sat there listening to him, assessing the situation on his own. Sunggyu was a very rational person – Dongwoo knew this – so he didn’t really know why something like Woohyun’s simple touch would work him up in such a way. After a moment of silence passed between them, Sunggyu sighed.

“I know. I’m pretty stupid aren’t I? …Getting worked up over nothing. I’ll just pretend like it never happened.”

The blond male sighed in turn, unable to give his friend the input he was waiting for. He decided to change the subject instead, “Have you been talking to Junho?”

The smile that graced the other’s lips made him smile as well. He went from aggravated and annoyed to happy and radiant. He could just see the brightness from his smile and he about it. It only made the dark haired senior blush and smile more.

“He sent me a message earlier. He said he wanted to see me,” Sunggyu confessed embarrassingly, that he missed me, he added in his mind.

“Are you sure you’re not dating?”

“We’re not!”

“My sisters’ boyfriends are always texting them stuff like that,” Dongwoo supplied helpfully, shrugging his shoulders as a way to take the other’s light glare off of him, “Are you meeting him?”

“No… he said the rest of the dance crew arrived and they were practicing these last two days for Saturday’s performance,” the dark haired male explained.

“Aren’t you excited?” Dongwoo asked, a teasing smile gracing his lips as he pushed the dark haired male playfully.

Sunggyu rocked back and forth, his lips stretching into a cute, small smile, “I think you’re more excited than me. Is Hoya coming today, too?”

“Yes, we’re all meeting at Woohyun’s again.”

“Ah… we’re watching that show again, aren’t we?” Sunggyu asked, a small grimace overcoming his soft features.

“Yeah… might as well enjoy it,” Dongwoo shrugged, pretending to be conflicted with the event as well.

Sunggyu saw right through it and spoke with pseudo admiration, “Oh wow, it’s such a great sacrifice!” before hitting the other on the arm, “I know you’re only doing it because Hoya’s there, you scaredy cat.”

Dongwoo proceeded to laugh before standing up, “Let’s go outside. Your sisters were playing hopscotch when I came in.”

The dark haired male groaned at the thought of jumping around. He resisted the tug that his friend gave his wrist.

“Come on! Knowing you, you probably haven’t set foot outside your room these past two days. You need some sunshine in your life! You think Junho will like a sickly looking guy like you for long?” Dongwoo said as he tried getting the other up.

“But he said he liked it!” he tried to argue. He immediately regretted it when Dongwoo let him go.

Before his best friend got a chance to , they heard someone yell from downstairs, “I’m going to the store,” it was his sister, Haneul, “you guys want anything?”

Sunggyu only contemplated it for a moment before yelling back, “Ice cream!”

“Dongwoo?”

“Same!”

“’Kay, I’ll be back!” she yelled.

Both heard her climb down a couple of steps and Sunggyu used the opportunity to escape, practically running down the stairs. He heard Dongwoo a couple of steps behind him but he was far enough away for him to reach the outside freedom, where they couldn’t speak of it.

He ran out of the house and nearly ran into his eldest sister who managed not to fall over at the sudden push. He tried to hold in his laughter as he kept her in his embrace, keeping her from toppling over, “Sorry.”

“Hey come play!” Jinho yelled excitedly as she saw the two boys come out of the house with such a commotion.

The ten year old jumped towards them excitedly, practicing her jumps for the hopscotch they drew on the walkway. She hugged Dongwoo as she reached him on her last jump, giggling happily when the male hugged her back.

“Who’s winning?” the blond male asked.

“The master of course,” Yeunja supplied as she got in position to go again.

“You’re only one number ahead of me!” Choonyei, the thirteen year old said with a pout. She didn’t like losing very much and she was getting impatient.

Yeunja completely waved her off as she tossed the stone and exclaimed in victory as it landed exactly where she needed it, “You’re going down Choonyei!”

“So, I heard your date went well,” Aecha commented as she climbed up the porch to sit on the railing.

Sunggyu blushed, not sure how to feel about being asked by the sister he respected the most. It was a little weird, “Yeah…he’s really nice.”

“That’s good. Just remember to always think everything through, okay?”

“Aecha!” he exclaimed, his face turning a bright red as he realized what she was implying.

Dongwoo started giggling in the background as his oldest sister let out a hearty laugh. Most of the afternoon was spent teasing and playing amongst the eldest siblings and Dongwoo with the Nam neighbors joining them a little later.

 

“She threatened to hurt Yeunja!” Woohyun exclaimed before taking a bite of the ice cream drumstick he had been offered by Haneul when she arrived.

Choonyei wasn’t too interested in the ‘grown-up talk’ that her older siblings usually engaged in, so she kept Jinho company along with some other neighborhood girls that went over to play. The three eldest sisters took the porch swing while Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Woohyun and Myungsoo all sat around them, all eating some type of frozen treat.

“Hurt?!” She exclaimed as she turned to look at her sister in worry.

“I’m fine, nothing happened,” Yeunja reassured her.

“Yeah, especially after Woohyun taught her how to throw a punch,” Dongwoo added teasingly.

“He did what?”

“I-It’s a good thing to know! I mean, it’s a good way to defend yourself, at least,” Woohyun tried to justify, his face flushing lightly at the attention the eldest sister was giving him.

“Well… I guess that’s true…” Aecha agreed as she took a bite from the popsicle.

“I could teach you too, if you’d like…,” Woohyun offered, his smile wide.

Sunggyu stood abruptly, glaring at the junior before turning to go inside. It was impossible to not notice it, especially when his sisters were paying very close attention to his reactions. It was obvious how much Woohyun liked Aecha. His face lit up when she was around and he became very attentive. It wasn’t his sister that he was annoyed with, but Woohyun himself. He was sure he made it clear to the younger male that she was married. He couldn’t ignore the charming smiles, the way he looked at her, the way he let her have his undivided attention.

Why was he allowing himself to get so jealous?

He entered the kitchen and threw his half-finished ice cream away. His sweet tooth turned sour. He continued on to the glass doors that led outside to the back porch and stepped outside, closing the door behind him. He couldn’t explain the feeling churning in his stomach but it made him feel completely uneasy. The raven haired male sighed as he plopped down ungracefully on a patio chair, his right hand holding his head up.

His phone went off, announcing he received a message. He hesitated for a moment before deciding to pull the device out. His foul mood melted away when he saw the name, a fond smile replacing it instead.

Junho
hey
what are you up to?

Sunggyu
hi
not much. What about you?
are you still practicing?

Junho
we were, just finished actually
but I wanna see you

Sunggyu felt his face grow hot and a warm feeling registered in his chest.

Sunggyu
but aren’t you tired? you should rest

Junho
haha you don’t wanna see me, huh?

Sunggyu
I do want to!

Sunggyu was embarrassed at how quickly he wrote and sent the message but he really wanted to see him.

Sunggyu
but if you’re tired…

Junho
will you be home later?

Sunggyu
yes

Junho
then I’ll see you in a while

Sunggyu
alright

Sunggyu smiled warmly at the messages, his previous annoyance and jealousy completely replaced by the mere words of one person. He sat there for a few moments before deciding to shower. He was jumping around with his sisters on a hot day so he was anything but clean at the moment. He didn’t want to meet Junho that way either.

“Oh, there you are! I searched all over the house! Are you okay?” Yeunja asked as soon as he set foot inside the house.

“I’m fine,” he scowled at her, as if the suggestion of anything else was crazy.

His sister stared after him as he walked out towards the hall that led to the stairway, “Woohyun really likes Aecha, doesn’t he?”

Sunggyu hummed, “It’s just not meant to be,” before continuing on his way.

Yeunja was left to wonder if he was only talking about Woohyun’s affection towards Aecha.

Dongwoo found him as he was climbing the stairs but didn’t say anything at all, not even when they reached Sunggyu’s room and the dark haired male was busy pulling out a fresh change of clothes. His best friend didn’t know what to say. Sunggyu seemed pretty calm after walking out so suddenly.

“Do you still want to go to Woohyun’s?”

“…Actually—” his response was cut off by his phone that signaled an incoming message.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket and saw the message.

Junho
the guys want to go out to eat. it’s gonna be a bit longer, okay?

Dongwoo kind of understood the moment he saw the smile form on his lips.

“Yeah, I’ll go,” he answered his blond friend as he answered the message.

Thirty minutes later and they were making their way to the Nam’s household, Sunggyu’s mood completely uplifted. Aecha left not long after her younger brother abruptly excused himself. She was waiting all week to hear about the date the senior had the past Sunday and got the scoop from her sisters. That was the real purpose of her visit.

The fact that Sunggyu nursed a crush on Woohyun wasn’t new to her either. Yeunja was very kind as to let her know the first chance she got. She was unable to spend any time with the new neighbors beside the occasional wave when she visited so she was curious as to what would have attracted her brother. It wasn’t hard to realize he was a real charmer.

Sunggyu sighed the moment they were outside the door. The last words his sister said to him filling him with false hope. ‘This one would be a good catch too.’

Sunggyu could sense Dongwoo was a bit uneasy. He probably wanted to ask something but was debating about bringing it up. The dark haired senior had a pretty good idea about what it could be. He sighed before speaking.

“Woohyun really likes my sister, doesn’t he?”

Dongwoo bit his bottom lip, not sure if he should respond or not, instead settling his answer with a thoughtful hum.

“I guess that’s another thing we both have in common, isn’t it?”

His friend turned to him, unsure of what he was talking about. They reached the Nam’s porch already and Sunggyu had knocked on the door.

When Dongwoo realized the male wasn’t going to elaborate, he asked, “What do you mean?”

Sunggyu could only smile half-heartedly, “We shoot for the impossible.”