Helping Hands

Lovely Balcony

“That girl has a lot of nerve, doesn’t she?” Woohyun asked as he propped himself next to the staircase that led up to Sunggyu’s home.

Sunggyu scoffed, “How can she even show her face like that? Especially after what Yeunja did to her. You’d think she’d have a little shame.”

“I’m not sure she knows what that is,” the junior stated with a smile.

“Hmph, but put a good looking guy in front of her and she’ll know exactly what to do,” the red head said as he looked up at the sky.

“I think Junho may have liked her…”

Sunggyu’s attention quickly diverted to the male in front of him, “Why do you say that?”

“He kept the number.”

The sinking feeling Sunggyu got in his stomach made him shift in his place, “I see,” he answered before turning to walk up onto the porch. He headed to the porch swing and made himself comfortable, Woohyun following suit.

Myungsoo decided to head home and shower before his brother, so it was currently just the two of them.

“He’s old enough to take care of himself… if he’s one to learn from experience then who are we to stop him?” it came out nonchalant, but it made Sunggyu’s stomach twist.

“A man should be able to tell when a girl means trouble. I’m sure giving a number to someone else in front of your boyfriend is a sure sign that bells should be going off somewhere.”

“A man should be able to tell, huh?” Sunggyu mocked playfully.

“Yeah, I mean, I judged you well enough, didn’t I? I knew you were nice as a girl,” Woohyun flinched and groaned when he felt the other throw a halfhearted punch against his arm, “You’re not so nice as a guy, but still nice, I guess.”

That caused the red head to laugh, “Why? Because I won’t pick up girls for my own benefit?”

“There’s that,” the junior smiled, “but because you’re just nice in general. Myungsoo has grown attached to you, if you haven’t noticed.”

Sunggyu only hummed. Of course he noticed. The younger brother used to be so quiet and reserved, but he figured he took a liking to him almost immediately. It was most evident with Sunggyu, but he grew attached to all of them. He was just around the red head a lot more than the other two. It was fine with him though. It was like Myungsoo was the younger brother he never had.

They spent a moment sitting in silence, listening to the sounds of the summer night; the sounds of the crickets and cicadas adding music to the otherwise still night. Sunggyu leaned his head back and closed his eyes. The constant breeze that started up as soon as the sun set felt nice against his hot skin and it nearly lulled him to sleep.

“Sunggyu…?”

“Hmm?”

“Maybe you should go inside and sleep. I don’t think it’s okay for you to doze off out here…unless you want me to carry you to your room like a princess?”

“Ha, please,” Sunggyu said disbelievingly, “I doubt you’d be able to pick me up off the ground.”

“…”

“…”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.”

Sunggyu laughed, somewhat offended, before hitting the other male, turning his hand into a fist and throwing quick punches on his arm repeatedly. He wasn’t putting any real strength behind it and Woohyun could only laugh at the other’s reaction, trying to move away and ending up laying on his side on the swing.

“And then you wonder why Myungsoo is my favorite. He’s so respectful and mindful of his awesome neighbor.”

Woohyun merely grunted and chuckled quietly before sitting up again, “Oh hey, what did you think of Nell’s teaser?”

“Ah, I don’t know. I didn’t really hear it earlier…” Sunggyu confessed.

The dark haired male smiled guiltily, “I didn’t either. Let’s give it another listen,” hepulled his phone out of his pocket the moment Sunggyu finished his sentence, “It was hard to hear it. Everyone was being really loud.”

Sunggyu enjoyed that minute, leaning his head to rest against the other’s shoulder comfortably as they let the music from the phone drown out everything else around them. It passed by much too quickly.

“There’s a lot of synth in this one,” Woohyun commented once his phone’s screen went black.

“They’ve brought it out more than usual but it’s still nice.”

“Biased.”

“And you’re not?”

Woohyun laughed, “Then that makes two of us then.”

“You should,” a yawn interrupted his sentence, “go to sleep now. It was a long day.”

“Too much excitement for you?”

Sunggyu hummed, amused. You have no idea, he thought tiredly but didn’t move from his position. He was comfortable and it wasn’t until then that he felt his body begin draining from the day’s activities. Woohyun’s teasing smile faded slowly as he stared out at the still and dark street. The only lights were the ones coming from the porches of the houses that lined the street. The typical sounds of the summer night filling the quiet that engulfed them again.

“You should go inside.”

Another half-hearted hum that made Woohyun chuckle silently, “You really want me to carry you?”

“You won’t.”

“Oh so you can speak.”

Sunggyu pushed himself off the other and stood, stretching his muscles a bit before walking past the male who stood behind him. Sunggyu fumbled with his keys for a second before finding the right one and inserting it into the lock.

“I’ll see you later then. Goodnight,” Woohyun bid his farewell.

“Yeah, goodnight,” the other answered as he unlocked the door and pushed it open, his attention on the male that was walking across the lawn to reach his own porch. He didn’t enter his own house until Woohyun waved to him, signaling that he got the door open before they both entered their respective houses.

Coming home to two older sisters was definitely not what he was expecting.

“You are such a flirt!” Yeunja squealed in delight as she pulled him towards a couch.

His tiredness dissipated with the sudden welcome party his two sisters suddenly created with his arrival.

“What?” he asked, unsure of what was going on.

“You were being all cuddly with Woohyun! Don’t think we didn’t see you!”

“You guys are crazy...and delusional!” he said as got up from the couch.

“Yeah, whatever,” Haneul, the eldest of the two girls said, “It looked like you guys just got back from a date.”

“A date, yeah right,” he brushed off as he headed towards the stairs until realization hit him.

He ran back to the pouting girls on the couch, “I have a date tomorrow!”

“What? With Woohyun??” Yeunja asked, confused.

“No! With Junho! Lee Junho!”

“Oh! Congratulations!” Haneul exclaimed quietly before speaking in an even lower voice, “Let’s go upstairs. Mom and Dad are probably sleeping already.”

It was a matter of moments before they all entered the room and were demanding the details from their brother. They sat and listened as their brother re-told the day's events with a few interjections and embarrassing comments from both sisters.

“Oh, made him jealous, huh? And it worked, that's kinda cute,” Haneul teased as she lightly pushed her younger brother.

“Jealous...? But we were just playing...”

“He sees Woohyun as a threat... What kind of playing were you doing?” Yeunja asked.

“He was just... He... well he was hugging me.”

“Jealous,” the girls confirmed before giggling.

Sunggyu simply smiled as he shifted his attention to the floor, remembering how serious the other looked as he called him over to get him away from Woohyun.

“So where is he taking you?” Yeunja asked.

“I don't know... He just said he'd be by to pick me up at six... I'm so nervous...” he confessed, his leg bouncing up and down as he began to think about it.

Haneul laughed, “Calm down. So we don't know where he's taking you but I think dressing up casually will work. A classy kind of casual.”

“...Meaning?”

“Meaning, all you need to do is add a blazer over whatever you usually wear,” his sister explained.

“Really...? That's considered classy?”

“Yeah,” his older sister said in a tone that made him feel dumb, “All you need is a blazer to go from casual to classy,” she smiled, “For tomorrow, wear those black skinnies you love so much, a white shirt... I think you have a v-neck, wear that, and the cute blazer Aecha bought you!”

“You mean the one that was ruined in the wash?” Sunggyu asked as he turned to Yeunja.

“What?”

“Yeah... Jinho was helping me do the laundry a while back and … she spilled bleach on it,” Yeunja said guiltily.

She really liked the blazer too so she was shocked when she realized what happened. Haneul sat there for a few seconds, thinking about a solution before sighing.

“I guess we'll figure this out later. It's late now. You should sleep. Don't want you getting sleepy half way through the date,” she said as she stood.

“Goodnight,” he said as they closed the door.

His phone rang, a familiar tone filling his room briefly.

Hyun
I'm finally clean~~!

He giggled at the message

Hyun
I can hug you now, right? Pretty gyu?? hehehe

Sunggyu
You want to die, right?

Hyun
you can't touch me
I'm too handsome

Sunggyu
… You're on a different level than Hoya -_-
Just go to sleep.

Hyun
That guy has nothing on me

Sunggyu
Hahaha
I'm telling him

Hyun
No! Wait I was just kidding!!

Sunggyu laughed quietly as he took a snapshot of the screen before sending a smiley face and opening the chat that would allow him to send the picture to everyone.

It was only a matter of seconds before someone responded.

Ho

Ho
This is hubris

Ho
You cannot surpass the God

Ho
I am God

Sunggyu
Ho-God lolol

Hyun
I am ashamed

Donggie
This is so embarrassing /hides

Myunggie
I officially cut my blood ties with you

Donggie
Pahahahaha

Sunggyu
lmao

Ho
Hahahaha

Hyun
This runs in your veins Myungsoo, you can't escape it.

Sunggyu
Myunggie is in another league

Myunggie
I'll kill myself

Donggie
Hahahahahaha!

Hyun
=_=

Sunggyu
Ahahahaha

Ho
Cold blooded

Sunggyu wore a big smile on his face as he tossed the phone off to the side after setting it to vibrate. He glanced at his clock and groaned. It was already past eleven and he still needed to shower. He very grudgingly got up and snatched up his sleepwear, heading off to the bathroom.

 

 

Sunggyu sat on the living room couch. His leg was moving on it's own, bouncing up and down due to his nervousness. His sisters were sitting around him – Aecha arrived earlier in the day thanks to a call made by Haneul. She called their sister in hopes of having her find a blazer that matched his recently ruined one – waiting excitedly for the clock to strike six. He wasn't sure how everything happened, but the entire family was waiting with bated breath. Throughout the course of getting ready and getting things done, his mom came up to him and demanded to know why he didn’t tell her about his date.

He couldn't even ask who told her before she was embracing him.

“I can't believe my boy is dating,” she said as she pulled away.

Is he nice? Do I know him? Is he handsome? Did he ask you out? Where did you meet him? All of those questions came at him in a wave and he could only smile at his mom's worried face. He answered her questions as best and as patiently as he could.

To see her and his dad waiting with them was even more nerve wrecking. He told them that it wasn't necessary. It was just a date and that he wasn't his boyfriend, but they completely brushed him off. His mom wanted to see just how much that “little dirty kid” had grown. After countless reassurances by his own sisters, it still did no good. She wanted to see what kind of men her son was into.

That embarrassed the male half to death.

His dad found out via his mother and he was also sitting there. He didn’t say a word on the matter but he figured he was probably curious too... and it wasn't helping his nerves in the slightest.

He didn't want his parents to meet him because it would make it somewhat official. He wasn't entirely ready for that. He found himself glaring at Yeunja a couple of times. No one actually told him who let the news slip, but he was more than certain it was her. His sister had that in common with the second eldest. She sometimes just didn't know how to hold her tongue.

“He's running a bit late, don't you think?” His mother asked as she glanced at the clock. It was five minutes until the desired time and he still wasn't there. Sunggyu distractedly checked his pockets. His phone was in his right front pocket and as he patted himself down, he realized he didn't have his wallet.

“I'll be right back,” he said as he quickly stood to hurry upstairs.

He was feeling suffocated down there and it would be okay for him to be upstairs until he arrived, at least he thought so. Until he heard the doorbell ring as he reached his room. He cursed under his breath as he quickly searched his room with his gaze and found the leather material sitting under his T.V. He quickly snatched it up before heading back to the stairs. He stood up there for a few seconds and took a couple of deep breaths to dissolve the lead ball he felt form in the pit of his stomach. Once he exhaled for the last time he descended the stairs.

He was surprised to not hear a sound. He swallowed thickly as he peeked into the living room. His brows gathered as he noticed the lack of people. Only his eldest sister, Aecha, was keeping his date company. Junho immediately stood as he saw Sunggyu walk into the room. His older sister covered , hiding her smile as she turned away.

“Hi,” Junho spoke first.

He looked caught off guard. Well, it was a sudden and noticeable change to go from flaming red hair to black in a day. Sunggyu gave him his usual smile, the warm smile that graced his lips as of recently when he thought of him. The younger male was wearing jeans, a brown button-up shirt with the bottom half buttoned, and a regular white shirt underneath. It was simple but he pulled off that 'classy' look that Haneul, Yeunja, and Aecha lectured him on. His hair was styled in a slightly messy manner, but it suited him.

“Hi. I see you've met my sister,” Sunggyu said as he turned to his sister.

“You two could pass off as twins. You look so similar.”

Kim Aecha; the first child of the Kim family and the very first daughter. She was twenty-two and already a high ranking employee in the company their parents worked in. She wore a more sophisticated look and her hair was long and dyed a soft brown. Sunggyu looked almost exactly like her, except his eyes were smaller.

“We get that a lot, don't we?” Aecha asked her brother as she stood, “It was nice meeting you Junho. Please take care of our Sunggyu,” she bowed.

Junho quickly returned the gesture, bowing the required 90 degrees, “He'll be in good hands.”

She threw an impressed smile at Sunggyu before going towards him and patting him on the shoulder, “Good luck,” she whispered before disappearing into the hallway that led to the kitchen.

They stood in the living room for a couple of seconds, both without words to say before Sunggyu smiled at him again, “Should we get going?”

“Yeah...,” the older male felt his face become warm at the distracted answer he got. Junho was staring at him, as if he was looking at him for the first time in a long time, “You look... great.”

Sunggyu heard some badly concealed giggling coming from the place that Aecha disappeared off to. He immediately understood what was going on. Everyone ran off to the kitchen in order to eavesdrop on them.

“Thank you,” he answered. His face was probably beet red, it was definitely made worse by the snickering he heard coming from the kitchen.

“Let's go!” he said in hopes to cover up his embarrassment as he turned away, slipping his shoes on at the entrance, Junho following suit.

Sunggyu couldn't help the glance he threw next door, wondering if Woohyun was going to see him leave with Junho. To his relief, there was no one outside. He turned his attention to the other, letting him lead the way. What he saw parked in front surprised him. He didn't know much about cars but the one currently parked in front of him looked fancy. It was sleek and spotless and perfectly black, the windows were tinted and it added an important air to the car. It looked like it belonged in a magazine.

Holy crap.

Junho led the way, opening the door for him and inviting him inside the car. Sunggyu swallowed thickly as he did what he was told. It was odd to be sitting in such a luxurious car. The door closed and he turned to the house. He saw that the window's blinds were being messed with and he couldn't help the slight shake of his head as he saw everyone peeking out to see what was going on. He was glad the windows were tinted, at least they weren't going to see how embarrassed he was by all of it.

Junho entered the driver's seat and made himself comfortable before pressing a button, the car purring to life without much noise or movement.

“Wow, this is fancy,” Sunggyu couldn't keep his thought to himself.

Junho chuckled.

“Who's car is this...?” he asked out of curiosity. Surely something so expensive looking couldn't belong to him.

“Mine. My dad gave it to me for my birthday this year,” the male explained as he switched gears.

“Oh... I guess your family is doing a lot better now?”

“All thanks to my uncle. We owe him a lot.”

Sunggyu hummed. He didn't have anything else to add to that so he changed the subject, “Where are you taking me?”

“I had Jinki show me all over the place yesterday. I don't know what you like but I figured I couldn't go wrong with Korean food, especially considering where we are.”

“Jeolla does have the best,” Sunggyu agreed proudly.