Summer Mischief

Lovely Balcony

“He almost kissed you?!”

Sunggyu shushed him, placing a long finger above his lips to signal him to keep it down. They were in his room sitting on the floor discussing the previous day’s events but he didn’t want anyone to hear. He didn’t tell his sisters and he wasn’t planning on telling them at all. Dongwoo covered his own mouth in realization before continuing in a quiet manner, “Are you sure?”

“It’s a guess, but I’m pretty sure.”

His friend laughed at his contradiction before speaking, “Wow, he’s the real deal, isn’t he?”

Sunggyu didn’t answer him, sighing instead.

“He’s performing at Last for One next week…”

“…What?! You mean…”

Sunggyu nodded, “He’ll be on stage performing a routine,” he cleared up.

Dongwoo gaped soundlessly for a couple of seconds before jumping on his best friend (not literally, of course), “We have to go see him! He’s already earned my approval but if he’s that good, you’re going to have to marry him!”

Sunggyu’s face changed to a disbelieving and confused one before speaking, “You know he’s not even my boyfriend yet, right?”

Dongwoo lightly rolled his eyes and dismissed him with a wave of his hand, “Details, details.”

Sunggyu huffed, “Who’s starting to sound like my sisters now?”

Dongwoo couldn’t help the giggle that escaped him at the accusation he once charged Sunggyu with.

“He invited me to go see him…”

“We can go together,” Dongwoo assured him, “You know I never miss this.”

“What would I do without you, Dongwoo?” Sunggyu teased before agreeing and continuing to tell him about the date he shared with Junho the day before.

Haneul and Yeunja already got the details from him so he was more or less left alone with his best friend. Of course, he didn’t tell the girls everything, like the hand holding, and the almost kiss at the end. He gave it some thought and he figured sharing his first kiss shouldn’t be such a big deal but he couldn’t help feeling that way. He wanted to be sure before he decided to hand something over rather than just “living the moment.”

“But anyway,” Dongwoo quickly changed the subject, “What did your mom say?”

Sunggyu sighed before grimacing at the words he was about to say, “You’re my son, alright. Our tastes are so similar.”

Dongwoo burst out laughing, “So she approves?” he managed to ask.

The dark haired male nodded, rolling his eyes, “She liked him. Aecha did too. They said he was really polite and handsome.”

“You’ve got all the approval you need,” his now blond haired friend said, patting him on his shoulder reassuringly.

“And it’s really burdensome. They’re expecting me to date him now… I don’t know what I want to do.”

“Isn’t it why you’re going out on dates? I understand that he’s liked, that’s bonus points for both of you, but you shouldn’t feel pressured to date him. You should do it because you like him. Don’t ride the rollercoaster if you’re scared, even if they saved you a seat.”

Sunggyu chuckled, “I’ve never heard that one before.”

“I just made it up,” his friend smiled.

“You’re right anyway… Thanks a lot Woo. I feel a bit better... Let’s play for a bit, I need some kind of distraction,” the dark haired male said as he crawled over to the T.V. to reach the console controls, “By the way, why did you go blond?”

“Kkotip wouldn’t get off my back otherwise,” Dongwoo stated with a huff, making Sunggyu chuckle.

Woohyun showed up later in the afternoon. He was texting with Sunggyu and after figuring out that the two friends were playing hermits all day, decided to join them. He didn’t show up empty handed, to their delight. Sunggyu was complaining about how he wanted some fresh strawberries and fruit in general to munch on. Woohyun took a picture of his fruit bowl and sent it to Sunggyu just to . After much persuasion (a.k.a. begging) he decided he’d take some to him.

“Dongwoo,” Sunggyu called once he took a bite of the ripe and sweet strawberry.

The blond male gave him a quick glance before returning his attention to the match on screen, “What is it?”

“Have I told you that Woohyunnie is my favorite?”

His friend chuckled and shook his head, “Your favoritism changes more often than your underwear.”

Woohyun’s poorly contained laughter made Sunggyu blush, “The hell!” he said as he swatted the other behind his head, making him complain and Woohyun laugh even more. “I’m not giving you any of these,” Sunggyu muttered.

“Where’s the handsome one?” the dark haired senior asked soon after.

Woohyun scowled, “Are you calling me ugly?”

It was Sunggyu’s turn to try and hold in his sudden laughter, “I never said that!”

“That’s what you were implying…,” Woohyun said, his voice letting Sunggyu know that he wasn’t amused.

He watched as he moved away from him and grabbed the second controller, asking Dongwoo to let him join the next round. Sunggyu blinked at him, his playfulness subsiding. He found it a bit odd but he noticed that Woohyun took serious offense when his self was insulted. Just like when he was teasing him about his b.o. the other day.

Was he insecure? It was hard to believe such a thing. With such a handsome face and a body to die for, he had girls swooning left and right, how was it possible to be so offended by a few teasing words? Sunggyu chewed on another strawberry thoughtfully.

“Okay, go ahead and customize the fight, I’ll be right back,” Dongwoo announced before standing up and hurrying out of the room.

Bathroom run, Sunggyu thought as he turned his attention to the other male. He figured he may just as well apologize. He didn’t mean any harm by it.

“Woohyun?”

The junior didn’t respond.

“Woohyuuuun,” the older male dragged out the last syllable, trying to sound a little cute.

He stretched himself out on the floor on his stomach, peeking up at Woohyun from the floor. The younger male was anything but ugly. He couldn’t help but admire that perfect nose he was annoyed to discover what seemed to be so long ago. The sharp jaw was set and looked handsome even at that angle.

“Woohyun?” he asked again.

He smiled when the other gave him a glance, “I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean it like that.”

When he didn’t get a response he pouted, “Come on, you can’t be mad at your favorite.”

Woohyun snorted at this, “What makes you think you’re my favorite?”

“You brought me strawberries,” Sunggyu reasoned, propping his head up on his hand to look up at him more comfortably.

When he still didn’t get a response he decided to play the slightly annoying card. He got up on his knees, “Woohyuuuun, come on. Woohyun? Woohyu~n? Nam Woohyu~n?”

“Ahh, what?!” he finally snapped, turning his attention to the now dark haired male.

Sunggyu jerked back when he realized how close they were. He didn’t think Woohyun would turn his head. Luckily his reaction brightened Woohyun’s mood. He was now laughing at him. The older male simply shook his head before returning to his strawberries, throwing a of the fruit at him as a small form of revenge (which Dongwoo picked up when he returned).

Sunggyu didn’t move from his spot until the last red fruit was gone. He watched them play a couple of rounds. They were both evenly matched, Dongwoo being a little better at control than the other.

Sunggyu huffed out of annoyance. The game was fun to play but watching was a little boring. He quietly decided to sabotage either one’s game, just for the sake of it. And the perfect target was laying on his stomach, unkindly winning the match.

“Dongwoo~,” he cooed as he approached him.

The unsuspecting male only hummed, barely avoiding his character’s death in the game.

“Dongwoo-yah~,” Sunggyu tried again, “Give me a kiss~.”

That definitely caught both boys’ attention.

“What??” Dongwoo asked.

The blond jerked back when he felt Sunggyu was too close.

“Hey! What are you doing?” he asked, his signature giggles taking over.

“I’m bored, so play with me,” Sunggyu said as he tried to land a kiss on the other’s cheek.

“Why don’t you go play with Woohyun!” Dongwoo was rewarded with a small pinch that made him yelp and laugh.

“Because it’s funny to see you struggle,” the dark haired male responded as he tried to pin down the arms that were pushing him back.

It was a few moments of teasing and pushing. Dongwoo knew Sunggyu would give up sooner than later so he put his all into resisting his playful best friend. He tried asking Woohyun for help but all he did was smile and watch them struggle amongst themselves. Sure enough, within a couple of minutes, Sunggyu retreated, claiming tiredness and proceeded to use Dongwoo as a human pillow.

“How’s your mom?” Sunggyu asked randomly after they settled down, “I haven’t been over in a while. She must be mad.”

“She’s doing good. Funny you should say that, she just mentioned you yesterday. She wanted to know if her food is that bad.”

Sunggyu laughed, “You’re the one saying that you’re coming over! I can’t even change your mind!”

“It’s not my fault you ask when my dad is home…,” Dongwoo pouted lightly.

“Alright, alright. Is your dad home now?”

“No… he left last Wednesday. I don’t know when he’ll be back.”

“Your dad works out of town?” Woohyun asked, making himself known.

“Yeah. He’s a company rep. He helps conduct business all over Asia so he’s usually gone for weeks on end,” Dongwoo explained, filling in their newest addition to the group.

“Ohh,” Woohyun took in the new information and nodded.

“Hey, how come I never see your parents?” Sunggyu asked, turning his attention to the junior.

“Well… they work a lot… but actually they’re out on vacation right now.”

“Really? Without you and your brother?” the blond questioned.

“Woohyun!” they heard the muffled yell come from somewhere inside the house.

“Yeah, it’s a long story.”

“Woohyun!” it was Choonyei, “Come play with us! Hoya is outside!”

“Hoya is?” Sunggyu asked no one in particular.

“I asked him to come over. It’s no fun spending summer vacation by yourself,” Woohyun said, following the younger sister before stopping at the door, “So you guys shouldn’t play hermits and come outside.”

They stayed still for a while, listening as the two that left closed the front door behind them.

“Should we go?” Sunggyu asked unnecessarily.

“Or you can stay in here. I’ll take pictures for you if you want,” the blond teased, earning him a smack on his thigh before both moved to head outside.

 

 

Maybe it was planned. No, it was planned. The second they set foot outside they were bombarded with balloons. Water balloons. All they could do was gasp in surprise as they felt the cold water soak through their clothes. Their looks of shock prompted the culprits to burst out in laughter. Sunggyu stared at Haneul and Yeunja who were laughing hysterically at their misfortune. Woohyun wore a smug smile on his lips, Hoya matching him. Myungsoo was simply shaking his head with a smile on his lips, standing with the other younger kids as they watched it all unfold. Jinho was yelling excitedly as Choonyei snickered behind her hand.

Yes, it was definitely planned.

The dark haired male scanned the lawn and noticed different containers spread throughout their yard and the Nam’s. He noticed the water hose wasn’t too far from his feet. Judging by how wet the entire porch was, they used it to fill the balloons. He turned to look at Dongwoo who looked just as shocked as he did.

“This is war,” he stated before quickly reaching for the hose and pulling the trigger as soon as he touched it.

Everyone scattered but it was to no avail. They all ended up with some form of water damage. Shirts, shorts and shoes were soaked. Not even Myungsoo or the younger girls escaped the relentless spray of the water hose. Sunggyu only stopped his attack when everyone escaped too far from its reach. He pouted when he realized it before putting it down.

“Come on Dongwoo!” he yelled as he quickly jumped down the stairs to reach the container that he thought held more water balloons. He was right.

Dongwoo caught on quickly, reaching the one a little ways away. The rest of the group were prompted to move at seeing that, running to the scattered containers before taking some balloons and beginning the water balloon fight.

It started as seven against two but quickly turned into a free-for-all. Myungsoo was the first to attack the friendly fire, throwing a balloon at Woohyun. It turned chaotic with all the shouts and running and laughing. It wasn’t long before Hoya began to take hostages, sacrificing himself in order to get his victim completely soaked through. The first hostage was Yeunja. Hoya snuck up behind her and captured her, wrapping his arms around her waist, holding her hands down as well. Dongwoo was second, thanks to Woohyun. Myungsoo was the third, courtesy of Woohyun as well. Haneul was taken hostage by Dongwoo who ended up letting her go halfway through because it was all just too funny for him.

Sunggyu laughed along as his older sister ran to take cover behind Choonyei.

“It’s Sunggyu’s turn!” Jinho yelled happily, jumping up in excitement.

By that point, Choonyei and Jinho were completely soaked as well, getting hit plenty of times in the crossfire either accidentally or intentionally. Sunggyu wasn’t dry either, but compared to everyone else, he might as well have been. His clothes stuck to his body sporadically but it wasn’t as bad as everyone else.

He looked around wearily, wondering if he’d be able to make it inside and somehow escape the punishment. They weren’t near the porch anymore like when they started out. They moved further and further away, reaching the containers that were still stocked with their chosen projectiles.

He decided to make a break for it. Unfortunately for him, he forgot he was dealing with a bunch of athletes. He was reminded when he felt someone tug on his arm, stopping him from getting any further.

“You can’t escape this one!”

“Let go! Myungsoo you’re my favorite, remember!”

The usually quiet teen laughed at Sunggyu’s attempt to escape.

“You said earlier I was your favorite!” another voice complained.

Sunggyu could hear Dongwoo laughing in the background. All hopes of escaping diminished when Woohyun approached to help Myungsoo. With a brother on each arm, he was dragged back to the group who gathered the remaining two containers.

“Come on Myung, don’t do it!” Sunggyu kept saying.

“It’ll be fun,” the handsome sophomore said with a smile.

“It’s only fun when I’m throwing the balloons!”

It made them all laugh but neither boy lessened their grip. The dark haired senior resigned himself with a sigh. After a bit more teasing and a few false starts, the first balloon hit him and he lost count after he started feeling multiple hits at once. A few seconds into it he felt Myungsoo let go of him and he tried to pull away but Woohyun didn’t relent. So he did the next best thing, he used the older Nam brother as a shield, pulling him by the shirt to turn Woohyun’s back to the attack since his arm was trapped. And it worked like a charm, until Woohyun turned them around, holding him in place by completely trapping his arms against his chest.

It helped a little, since he wasn’t getting water to the face anymore. It was only a couple of seconds more before the balloons stopped. It all happened in less than 20 seconds, but both of them ended up completely drenched.

Sunggyu didn’t move a muscle, wondering if they were just waiting for him to turn around to nail him in the face. His forehead rested on Woohyun’s shoulder.

“Okay lovebirds, we’re done,” Yeunja stated, sounding really close.

They turned to look for her and found her inspecting Myungsoo.

“I’m really sorry, Myung. Does it hurt? I didn’t mean to hit your face.”

Sunggyu quickly pulled away from Woohyun and headed over to them. He turned Myungsoo’s head to face him and proceeded to inspect him as well, “Where did she get you? Does it hurt?”

“A little. She got my eye,” he explained.

“It doesn’t look bad. It isn’t even red,” he let go of the male and scolded Yeunja, “You need to be careful.”

“Yeah, sorry.”

It was Woohyun’s turn to inspect his brother and Yeunja pulled Sunggyu away, “But at least you got some action.”

Sunggyu was left to stare at his sister as she smirked smugly before leaving him to help Haneul, Hoya and Dongwoo pick up the mess.