An Invite

Lovely Balcony

“Sunggyu, someone’s looking for you!” Myungsoo called out as he walked into the living room.

The dark haired male was laughing heartily at a joke the junior, who was resting his head on his lap, just told. The older male didn’t know how Woohyun did it but even though he was really hurt and a little mad at him, the younger male found a way to snake back into his good side. Not only was he making him laugh he was also resting his head on Sunggyu’s lap. They took over the chaise section of the couch while Dongwoo and Hoya took the normal couch. Maybe it was just impossible to stay mad at an idiot, he wasn’t completely sure yet.

He didn’t have a chance to question who could be looking for him as he saw the person walk in a few paces behind the younger Nam brother. His eyes widened in surprise. He completely forgot that he was meeting Jinki’s cousin. Junho was showing him a smile, but it wasn’t as wide as usual.

The newcomer received a collective greeting as they caught sight of him.

“Hey what’s going on? Movie night?” he asked, “And I wasn’t invited? You guys are low.”

“Hey hey, Sunggyu was telling us you were busy practicing for the weekend,” Hoya spoke up.

He smiled widely at that, “Ah, he mentioned it?”

“Sure did. We can’t wait to see you Saturday, man,” Dongwoo said enthusiastically, “I didn’t even know you danced!”

“Yeah… it’s something I picked up recently. Don’t worry, Dongwoo. I’ll teach you some moves,” he said, smiling charmingly.

“I’ll hold you to that!” Dongwoo returned the smile.

“But anyway, can I borrow Sunggyu for a few?”

“Did you text me?” he asked, his hand going to his pocket to pull his phone out.

“No, I decided to come quickly, since it’s getting late… So, can I?”

“Yeah,” he answered, patting the younger male’s head to get him to move.

Woohyun did so before pulling himself up to sit where the older male was, watching as they both disappeared into the threshold; the sound of the front door opening and closing being the only sign of them leaving the house.

 

 

“You should’ve text me. I would have let you know where I was,” Sunggyu said as soon as the door shut behind him.

“I wanted it to be a surprise.”

A small smile graced his lips at that. They took a seat on the beautiful dark wicker loveseat, both slightly facing each other. The Nam’s porch furnishings were much more lavish than the Kim’s old swing (and fairly new – the couch, loveseat, and arm chair complete with coffee and side tables had been delivered a few days ago – but even then, the Kim porch was their meeting grounds). The loveseat was plush, the white cushions were lined with baby blue accents that stood prettily against all the dark wood and dark wicker around it. He didn’t really have a chance to try them out but he found them quite comfortable.

“Who told you I was here?” he asked, taking a dark blue square pillow and placing it above his lap, his fingers pulling at the corners.

He was nervous, and he needed his hands to be busy with something.

“Yeunja did…”

There was a moment of silence that passed between them, and Sunggyu could feel Junho’s eyes on him as his gaze continued to watch his own hands pull at the pillow.

“Should I not have come?” he finally asked.

It’s enough to make Sunggyu lift his gaze in a hurry, “No! No… Sorry it’s just…”

The way you look at me makes me nervous, he thought silently.

“I thought I was ready to see you again.”

“…Ready to see me again?” Junho asked, a smile stretching his full lips. He laughed lightly, “Is that a good thing?”

Sunggyu’s face grew hot. He felt his cheeks heat up. Why was his brain to mouth filter so selective? He laughed shyly, not sure how to respond and afraid to say something embarrassing again.

Junho watched the smiling face for a moment before speaking again, “I missed you a lot.”

“We message each other everyday!”

“True enough,” his gaze lowers to Sunggyu’s hand and his own is already moving to take it in his, “But I can’t do this over text.”

The senior moved his left hand, allowing their fingers to slip between each other’s effortlessly. It’s such a nice feeling. Warmth seeps into his body, starting from the simple touch and spreading across his every being. He sighs unknowingly, has he missed the feeling that much?

“I didn’t have to scare you this time,” Junho joked and Sunggyu laughed at him softly.

“How are you feeling? Aren’t you tired?”

“Yeah, a bit. We’ve been practicing non-stop the whole week. I fell Monday and apparently I lost consciousness for a few minutes.”

“Lost consciousness?!”

“Yeah, I wasn’t concentrating and the distraction really messed me up.”

“But you’re okay now, right? What kind of dancing are you doing?”

“It’s a little bit of acrobatics…but it was my fault,” his unoccupied hand went up to soothe the area just above the nape of his neck, “It wasn’t too bad. I could have fractured my spine, but all I have is a little bump.”

Junho led the hand he was holding to touch the said area. Sunggyu felt softly about, “Does it still hurt?”

“A little bit.”

Indeed he could feel a little bump under the soft hair, “How can you be so calm about it? It could have been serious.”

“But it wasn’t, so it’s okay.”

Sunggyu withdrew his hand but it wasn’t long before Junho’s own went to find it again.

“Since you’re denying my date Saturday,” Sunggyu sighed exasperatedly at Junho’s teasing remark, “how about you come to a party we’re having tomorrow then?”

“A party?”

“Yeah, we’re still practicing most of the day but Jinki said it was okay to throw a little party to let us relax, and since it’s summer and he owns a pool…” he let the sentence hang in the air for a little bit, mostly waiting for Sunggyu’s response with his best eager and pleading face.

“So it’s a pool party?”

“Yeah.”

“Your friends that I met that time, are they gonna be there?”

“Yes…”

“Are you inviting the guys?” Sunggyu asked, not wanting to be the only person that didn’t know Junho’s friends.

“Yeah, of course.”

“Oh, well then okay. Yeah I’ll go.”

Junho smiled teasingly, “Did you want it to be just us? We can go out if you want.”

“What! I didn’t say that!”

The younger male chuckled, “Okay, okay. We’ll do the pool party…” he said in mock disappointment which was wiped away with a small push from Sunggyu.

“What did you do all week?”

 

 

“He’s been gone for a while, hasn’t he?” Hoya said when he realized the show was about to end and they were missing a person.

“Yeah, I’ll go—”

“Wait… he sawed his hand off? You mean he actually did it?” Dongwoo asked as the episode came to an end.

“Yes, he did. Can you imagine all the blood and the skin and bone he had to—”

“Woohyun control your brother!” Dongwoo yelled as he jumped the younger male, trying to cover his mouth to keep the vivid imagery from escaping the mouth.

Woohyun smiled as he quickly vacated the couch. Myungsoo was losing the battle and they were going to fall over on top of him. He watched them for a few seconds before deciding to go check on Sunggyu and Junho. He wondered if he’d even find them outside anymore.

Sunggyu was listening to Junho tell him about how one of the guys from the dance crew got turned down coldly at the restaurant they went to have dinner when they heard the door handle move. It was instinct for Sunggyu to pull away from Junho’s hand, turning to look at who was exiting the house.

Junho didn’t say anything, instead pulling his hand back to keep it from looking awkward.

“Is the show over?” Sunggyu asked.

“Yeah, you missed it,” he said as he took a seat on the sofa that was right next to the door. The loveseat was perpendicular to it and its back faced Sunggyu’s home.

“Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to take that long,” Junho apologized to the dark haired senior.

“It’s alright. They like watching the show. I’m just here for the free food.”

Woohyun scoffed, “That’s harsh. I thought it was because you liked me.”

Sunggyu barely resisted the urge to roll his eyes, opting instead to throw a pillow at the younger male. It was easily caught, to his dismay. But he found he couldn’t turn to look at Junho. He was afraid the other male would see some truth in that statement.

“So what’s up, man? What’s good?” Woohyun asked.

“Not much. I’ve been working my off for that performance Saturday. I had a little accident but it’s good. What about you? Are you guys still having those skirmish matches?”

“Nah, we’ve been hanging out here. You should come over more often, we all usually hang out with Sunggyu.”

“Really? What do you guys do? Nerd out over Nell?”

“What are you trying to say? That I have no life outside of Nell? Huh?” Sunggyu asked as he pushed the other away.

Junho laughed, “No. I’m just trying to figure out what he’s into. I’m trying to make a new friend here!”

Sunggyu merely gave him a side eyed judging look before speaking, “Ok proceed.”

Both guys laughed before Woohyun spoke, “Did you know this guy is really lazy?”

“Lazy?”

“What?” Sunggyu squawked.

“Yeah, he hardly ever plays with his sisters. My brother has pretty much taken over the older brother role from him.”

“You guys need to get your own sisters,” Sunggyu said a little sourly, of course it was all just an act.

“He’s like a mountain hermit. He hardly ever leaves his room and is always playing video games.”

“No I don’t! That’s slander!”

“I practically have to drag you out! Like that day with the water balloon fight!”

Sunggyu was unable to retort as they heard a sudden yell come from the inside of the house.

“Woohyun! I told you to control your brother!” It was Dongwoo.

They heard a muffled Myungsoo laughing in the back. Sunggyu smiled at hearing the other laughing so heartily but his smile turned into surprise when Dongwoo punched him on his arm.

“You wouldn’t be laughing if you saw what I saw! You traitor!”

“What? Why am I being blamed for this?” Sunggyu asked, a smile taking over yet again as he took in his best friend’s flustered appearance.

“Because you abandoned me with these sickos!”

“Hey now,” Hoya complained as he took a seat next to Woohyun.

“Well then blame Junho!”

“What?” the dancer asked, surprised to have been brought into the argument.

Luckily Dongwoo ignored the blame being placed on Junho and glared at Sunggyu before kicking his shoes in a playful manner and standing by the porch stairs. Myungsoo came out not long afterwards and stood by the door. If he wanted to sit he’d have to walk around the coffee table and pass Dongwoo and he was sure the senior was going to hit him somewhere so he stayed put.

“Sunggyu told me you’ve been practicing all week. Are you ready for Saturday?” Dongwoo asked.

“As ready as I’ll ever be. I asked Sunggyu to come along. You guys are welcome to, too.”

“I demand front row seats,” Hoya spoke.

“It’s free standing,” Dongwoo reminded him.

They both attended the event, although it was a few years since the last time they actually went together. Dongwoo always ended up dragging Sunggyu along even if he complained about how hot it was or how tired he’d be at the end of it.

“Damn it,” he cursed all too seriously, causing the other’s to laugh.

“You run for hours on end playing soccer but you don’t want to stand?” Dongwoo asks. There’s a teasing smile on his face.

“Hey, that’s different! I’m building my stamina when I run! Standing around just tires me out.”

That definitely caused laughter to erupt from all mouths. Woohyun took the pillow he caught from Sunggyu earlier and hit Hoya on the head with it. Hoya only laughed along, enjoying being the cause for their laughter before they all settled down again.

“Well, actually, I came to invite you guys to a party we’re throwing tomorrow at Jinki’s place.”

“Oh, pool party?” Dongwoo asked excitedly, “Is the whole crew going to be there?”

“Yeah! We’re all really excited about participating in the event so we thought we should celebrate.”

“Yeah, definitely count us in,” Hoya answered for everyone.

Junho was satisfied with that before checking his phone for the time, “I should probably get going. Still have to get up early tomorrow for the last round of practice,” he stood from his seat, Sunggyu following suit, “I’ll see you guys tomorrow then. I’ll text Sunggyu the details!”

A round of collective goodbye’s followed suit as he walked down the walkway with Sunggyu a step behind.

“Be careful,” Sunggyu finally said as they reached the sidewalk.

“I will,” he took a step or two before turning around again, “Oh, before i forget! Don’t wear anything too revealing tomorrow.”

Sunggyu gave the younger male a confused look before he caught on to what he was saying, “What, are you expecting me to show up in a two piece swimsuit?”

Junho’s eyes widened before his eyes trailed down Sunggyu’s body. Sunggyu was scandalized at the action. He hit the male on his arm before pushing him to get him to get moving, “Weren’t you leaving!” it wasn’t even a question.

But Junho started laughing before turning around to take hold of the hands that were pushing him away. Sunggyu tried to keep a straight face but watching him laugh like that made him laugh along with him.

“You’re so strange,” he said between breaths.

“You’re the strange one! Stop laughing!”

It looked like Junho tried but then he’d imagine Sunggyu wearing a two piece swimsuit and would start to laugh again. The dark haired senior tried to free his hands but it was to no avail.

“Can you—can you imagine all the guys in—in two piece swimsuits?”

And that’s when they both completely lost it. Dongwoo watched them from the porch with a fond smile on his face as they practically fell from laughter. The other three were looking at the two like they suddenly went crazy.