Not So Subtle

Lovely Balcony

There was definitely some tension. Sunggyu could feel it…or maybe it was just him being incredibly fidgety. He was doing his best to act casually, like usual, but he couldn’t.

Junho picked him up to take him to the special event. It was agreed upon on the previous day, sometime before…that incident. His teammates already left in a separate car. It was around six in the afternoon and they were making their way to Jeonju Stadium. Last for One was a national event, bringing forth all of those that loved to dance to celebrate it. Dancers from all genres were invited to participate. It was internationally known since it was established by a famous South Korean dance crew after all.

They needed to arrive slightly earlier in order to rehearse their stage. Junho briefly explained that they were one of the last to rehearse since they’d be performing about two groups before the final performers took to the stage. Sunggyu didn’t even notice when they finally stopped moving, his thoughts still entertaining the night before in his head. He only came to when he felt a warm hand settle over both of his. He was picking at his short nails, both hands resting on his lap.

“Are you okay?” Junho asked.

Sunggyu turned to him and gave him a small smile, turning his hand palm up to hold the younger’s hand in his, “I’m fine. Just thinking…”

“Shouldn’t I be the nervous one?”

A smile definitely crossed Sunggyu’s lips then, “Should you be?”

Junho smiled, “I have you here with me now. I have no worries.”

The dark haired male blushed, his words every bit embarrassing but still sweet. He laughed in embarrassment, “You’re crazy.”

“If that’s what it takes to get you back to your normal self, I’ll be crazy,” Junho joked.

His laugh reverted to a smile again, “Sorry it’s just that…”

“It’s because of last night, isn’t it?” the younger male asked, hitting the nail on the head very precisely, “I’m sorry, I should have thought things through.”

“…,” Sunggyu thought for a few seconds, making sure about what he was about to say, “Just give me a little more time,” he bit his lip as he admitted his next sentence, turning his attention towards the front, “I haven’t even had my first kiss yet.”

Sunggyu didn’t glance at the other male. He didn’t want to see a judging expression on his face. He felt the warm hand resting on his give him a small squeeze.

“Then I’ll wait to be the first.”

The dark haired senior felt his face grow warm again but luckily he was spared from anymore embarrassment as Junho’s phone rang. Junho complained audibly before reaching for his phone that was resting on the dashboard. Sunggyu took that opportunity to climb out of the car, only taking a deep breath when the door closed behind him. He felt lighter, as if all those thoughts that felt like they were literally pressing down on his chest were set free. He could breathe easier. He was in a confused state the night before, and he wasn’t sure about what he was feeling. He felt like he was swept up in the moment the night before.

He walked around the car, leaning on the hood as he waited for Junho. He picked at the stray strands of the cut-off jeans he was wearing. It wasn’t a date and it was a hot day, there was no need for fancy blazers or nice shoes. He was content wearing a regular v-neck with his favorite black and white chucks. He heard the car door open and he turned to watch Junho quickly open the back door to pull out the pressed outfits for the performance. The junior wasn’t wearing anything fancy either. Some gray sweatshorts with a random shirt thrown on and some running shoes was his attire.

“Yeah, I’m on my way inside. Meet me at the entrance of the stadium,” Sunggyu heard the male say before he hung up.

The junior released a short sigh before reaching for a few other things in the car.

“Do you need help?” Sunggyu asked, making his way over to the male.

“Please?”

The dark haired male laughed as he reached for the bigger bag of the two remaining. It was surprisingly light. He reached for the other smaller backpack and slung it over his shoulder. Junho was carrying the outfits in both hands.

“Just to the entrance. Chansung is coming to help me take them.”

No sooner did they enter the stadium that they saw the younger male jogging to meet them. There was barely any time for greetings as Junho pushed the stuff he was carrying onto the younger before asking for the backpack Sunggyu placed over his shoulder. He ped it and proceeded to pull out a number of yellow colored tags.

“Here, these are the passes they gave us. Aside from Jinki, the other guys don’t really have anyone to give these to. They’ll let you in the seated area with these. Ahh, I gotta go. We’re up for rehearsals in a few minutes. I’ll make it up to you later, okay?”

“Yeah sure,” the senior said as he waved him away, “Good luck!” he yelled after them.

He stared at the wrist bands in his hand before shoving them into his pocket. He won’t need them until much later. He knew Dongwoo and Hoya would really love the kind gesture.

 

 

He didn’t think he’d be so bored waiting for the small stands towards the back to set up. There were rehearsals, and the music played loud and clear. There was still quite a bit of movement going around all over the place and he was in the middle of it all. He felt completely out of place. He decided to head back out. He had a feeling he’d be put to work otherwise.

He spent about 45 minutes whining over chat to Dongwoo. He kept asking when he was going to get there because he was bored. He finally got an answer he was looking for about ten minutes before seven.

But I won’t be able to text you until we get there. We’re going with your favorite bro duo

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. So Hoya and Dongwoo were going to get a lift from Woohyun and Myungsoo? He chuckled under his breath. He needed to see that.

He was disappointed to see them all arrive in pretty high spirits. Dongwoo chattered away excitedly as he talked about the ride there. Was he the only one that was terrified of riding so unprotected at such fast speeds? He brushed off the thought, not wanting to think about terrible things, and greeted them with a smile. He was definitely happy to see them either way. He was bored out of his mind. People were starting to pile into the stadium when he walked in the second time. There was a lot more bustle and a constant buzz of people talking. The rehearsal music stopped a while ago and some pop tunes took their place. They walked from the stands down onto the green field where there were a few lines of game and food stalls set up. The opposite side held a stage and a small amount of chairs that were sectioned off by a fence. They could see people already standing behind the fence, waiting for the show to start.

They were handed some pamphlets by one of the few people who were wearing staff shirts, she quickly explained it was the programming of the night.

“What’s Junho’s school name?” Hoya asked as he leafed through the pamphlet.

”Goyang Arts,” Sunggyu clarified as he too did the same.

It wasn’t long before they found the name and realized that their stage wouldn’t be until close to the end. Either way, Hoya and Dongwoo excused themselves to go see the earlier stages, Dongwoo dragging the younger Nam brother along with them.

“You’re not going with them?” Sunggyu asked as he turned to go down the first row of stands.

There were so many food stalls. He shouldn’t be surprised; after all he lived in Jeolla, the hometown of the best food in the country. There were some game stands scattered about along with some informational booths about special programs in universities and things of that nature. It was a mini festival (minus the school promotion).

“No, I’ll stay with you.”

Sunggyu walked around for a bit, a little aimlessly but nonetheless walking forward, passing a few booths that didn’t interest him too much. He didn’t realize Woohyun wasn’t following him until he tried to point something out at one of the booths. He skimmed the area and found him standing a couple of yards away from him at a food stall. He quickly made his way over and found it was a tteokbokki stand. He watched over Woohyun’s shoulder as the male received two spicy treats on a skewer.

The older male’s face lit up as he was handed one of them, “Thank you!”

“What do you wanna do? There’s a ton of games we can play.”

Sunggyu hummed and looked around, “I don’t know. What are you gonna get for me?”

Me? You can get them yourself! Or get Junho to get them for you.”

“Junho?” the senior couldn’t hide the surprised tone.

“You got here with him right? He’s your favorite now, isn’t he?” he asked.

“Ah, jealous? It’s okay,” Sunggyu threw an arm around the younger male’s shoulders, “you’re climbing back up right now.”

Woohyun laughed and pushed the male away, “Why? Hoya was completely right about you!”

They both laughed as they continued to make their way through the stalls.

“By the way, what was up last night with you and Junho? You guys looked pretty serious back there.”

Sunggyu tried his best to control his expression, but he averted his eyes just slightly, “We were talking.”

Woohyun’s gaze was on him, studying him, “Talking? You two always have a lot to talk about.”

Sunggyu hesitated a bit before speaking, “We all have our own secrets, right? Is it so bad he’d want to confide in me? He was just really worried about today. He needed someone to talk to about it,” he stated as he turned his attention to the food on the skewer, “He thought maybe it was just him that was feeling queasy.”

“That makes sense. Having stage fright seems kinda normal. I hope he gets over it.”

“Yeah, I hope so, too.”

“But I’m gonna need you to do something about keeping me on the top of the list,” Woohyun said, “I need to be number one all the time.”

“Okay,” the older male dragged out, “So that means you’re getting me something?”

The junior scoffed,“Fine, what do you want?”

Sunggyu laughed. The younger male kept surprising him. Woohyun came off as confident and someone who held himself together pretty well, but Sunggyu realized that he was actually pretty sensitive and quite perceptive. There were things he didn’t give much thought to that were taken far too seriously by the younger teen. He remembered the times when he about his looks or small things of the sort and how he reacted.

I should pay more attention to this stuff, he thought to himself before returning his attention to the stalls around him (and his treat). He noticed a little gathering of people at a stall and he approached it curiously, Woohyun following closely, wondering what kind of thing would gain so much attention.

It was a Jegichagi game stall. He watched as the one who challenged the game kicked the small jegi, a shuttlecock look-a-like, up in the air several times before kicking it forward towards a target on the ground. The senior tried to look over the heads to see the target but could only see the traditional rings as if it was an archery target.

“Oh, 30 and 60 puts you at 90! You’ve got a sure third prize win!” the guy at the stall encouraged, “One more try!”

Sunggyu watched as the guy gave his last try, hitting the jegi with his foot three times before sending it towards the target.

“That’s a complete miss! 90 points plus five puts you at 95! Come right over here and pick your prize,” he watched the young guy show them to the one behind a table that served as a makeshift counter.

He heard the host of the game welcome the next player but his eyes were roaming the prizes stacked behind the other guy. His eyes lit up when he saw a stuffed character he’s wanted for quite some time.

“What are you watching?”

“That huge stuffed green mushroom,” he answered.

“What?”

“In the prizes, up there,” he pointed over the heads of the small crowd.

Woohyun’s attention went to what he was talking about and he gaped, “That thing is huge!”

It was a big stuffed green mushroom from a game series. Sunggyu quickly made his way around the crowd, towards the guy that was handling the prizes. He gave him a number of offers to buy the plush toy but the guy refused to sell it, explaining that he’d get in trouble if he did something like that. After that failed attempt he decided to ask what needed to be done in order to win the huge stuffed toy. The target was composed of three rings and one big dot in the center. In order to win such a huge prize, he needed to get a perfect score. He sighed in defeat as he made his way back to an amused Woohyun.

“He didn’t budge, huh?”

“No… let’s go before I get even more depressed.”

Woohyun only chuckled as he followed the older male further down the line of stalls, giving the Jegichagi stall one last glance.

They went about the stalls stopping at some to try their luck. Sunggyu chose to play a game where the targets were shot down. He took them down easily yet carefully. He wasn’t one to not be good at what he did after all. There wasn’t anything he wanted in the stall so he let Woohyun choose something among all the plush toys.

“Wouldn’t Yeunja like this? She uses this little thing a lot,” he explained to Sunggyu as he pointed out a mascot from the messenger they used.

Sunggyu agreed. He watched him pick it out, discreetly checking it for any defects before thanking the stall owner.