Regrets

I Hate You (Don't Leave Me)


"Jungkook!" Jimin hollered from the kitchen. "Wake up!"
 

Jungkook groggily sat up in his bed, he looked over at his left. It was empty. He laid his hand where Jimin had slept. The spot was warm. Jungkook sighed and got out of his bed ruffling his hair. He stepped into the kitchen, pulling out one of the chairs by the table and sat.
 

"What do you wanna-"
 

"Meat." Jungkook answered laying his head down on the table.
 

"Okay then." Jimin opened the freezer. He saw all the meat and was tempted to grab one when something held him back. He cocked his head and tried to figure out what was wrong with the picture he was seeing inside the freezer. "Oh!" Jimin snapped. grabbing Jungkook’s attention.
 

"What?" Jungkook quizzed nuzzling back into his arms.
 

"I'll be right back." Jimin said, unlocking the door and rushing downstairs.
 

Jungkook rolled his eyes and got up to make his own breakfast. He opened the fridge and grabbed milk that was pushed all the way in the back. He checked the expiration date and rummaged through the cabinets to find cereal. Once he poured himself his breakfast, He eyed the fridge and walked over to it. He looked in the freezer and saw all the unfrozen meat. 'Is this what he was staring at? How are we gonna-'
 

"Ok." Jimin dropped two full bags of unopened salt and a couple of matches.

"What is that for?" Jungkook pointed to the salt.
 

"Haven't you read this in books before? Using salt to preserve meat." Jimin opened the salt and started demonstrating the process of salting.
 

"It should last maybe 3 weeks." Jimin smiled. "I actually learned something in school." Jimin joked and Jungkook scoffed.
 

The boys packed and salted all the meat they could save in the store after they ate. They cleaned up the food aisle and did what they could to keep everything fresh. Jimin and Jungkook picked at everything, even the candy.
 

"Look, Jimin." Jungkook picked up a birthday card. He smiled and held it in front of him for Jimin to see. The card showed a blonde boy and monkey messing around with a birthday cake.
 

Jimin laughed at the drawing. "That kinda reminds me of-" Jimin stopped in the middle of his sentence and resumed fishing for food.
 

"Of what?" Jungkook questioned, his smile disappearing.
 

"Nothing, never mind." Jimin walked to a different aisle.
 

Jungkook looked at the card and raised his eyebrow. He put it back and continued sorting what's edible and what goes in the trash.
 

After the immense amount of cleaning they did, they could now walk around the store without stepping on anything. Jimin broke the cash register open and took whatever was in it, along with whatever was in the safe. All the money he collected went into their Emergency backpacks. Jimin searched the office at the back of the counter and found a gun with a case of bullets. Jungkook scattered mouse traps here and there as a feeble attempt to slow down any Canus species passing by.
 

With the help of Jungkook, Jimin set up an alarm. Since the creatures can't hear, the alarm won't give off any hints as to where they are.
 

"Now we can sleep peacefully." Jimin said as he held a screwdriver in his mouth on top of a ladder.
 

They also fixed the exit and entrance doors, locking them and securing it with a steel bar and multiple alarms. They tested the new traps and they all worked perfectly. They moved to the door leading into their new living space. Jimin climbed the ladder and began installing the new alarm and locks, along with video cameras.

Jungkook held the ladder as Jimin stepped down it.
 

"There. Now we're safer than we were last night." Jimin smiled feeling accomplished.

"About last night..." Jungkook spoke up, putting the tools away.
 

Jimin stood in the hallway, waiting for the rest of the sentence.
 

"Why did you come into my room?" Jungkook said, kneeling in front of the tool box, back facing Jimin.
 

"Because you said you didn't want to sleep alone..." Jimin paused.
 

Jungkook stood up and faced Jimin.
 

"...and I know about your… condition." Jimin didn't want to say it, but he wanted to voice his apology. He waited for a reaction.
 

Jungkook swallowed. 'I wouldn't have this condition if you would've ing helped me that day.' He ranted to himself. He opened his mouth to vent his thoughts but Jimin interrupted.
 

"I'm sorry Jungkook. I know I should've helped you..." Jimin paused again, feeling a sensation of regret and sympathy. "I-"
 

"Don't worry about it. I'll be fine sleeping alone. It's not like I'll cough up blood for nothing." Jungkook walked back into the kitchen abandoning Jimin, who happen to catch a glimpse of his glassy eyes.
 

Jimin sighed and scratched the back of his head. 'Way to go Jimin. Real smooth'

Jungkook walked into his room and closed the door. He slid his back against the door and wrapped his arms around his knees, burying his face in them.
 

"Where is he!? Tell me where my son is!!" Jungkook heard the faint voice of his father.
 

He looked at his surroundings. Everything was white. he looked at his arm, a single thin tube was protruding his skin and inserting clear liquid at a steady pace.
 

"Calm down. He's in the ICU, his left lung was punctured from one of his broken ribs. He'll be alright with proper care." The doctor informed.
 

"We need to see him! What did this to him!?" He heard his mom's voice this time.
 

"There was a fight at school. He needs to rest."
 

"Will he be alright!?"
 

"Yes, though he will have a severe case of hemoptysis. As long as he doesn't get into anymore fights he'll be fine. His lungs are weak and need to be kept away from any physical damage..." The doctor's voice faded.
 

Jungkook let his tears stream across his face as he sat there in the dark room.
 

"Jungkook." Jimin knocked on the door. "Jungkook, I'm sorry." Jimin stayed by the door. "I don't want you sleeping alone...." Jimin confessed.
 

Jungkook wiped his tears and tried to brush off his shaky voice. "I'll be fine. Just go away."
 

"No. You wanna know the truth?" Jimin waited for a response. Jungkook got off the ground and faced the door separating the two.
 

"I wanna sleep next to you. I wanna have you next to me. So I know we're both still alive and breathing. Having your warm body next to me helps me sleep. I feel like I'm protecting you. Something I should've done before. I'm sorry."
 

Jungkook opened the door. He stood their glassy eyes again facing Jimin. They stared at each other. Jimin widened his eyes as he saw a single tear fall down Jungkook’s cheek.
 

"Jungkook..." Jimin walked up to Jungkook and hugged him. "I'm really sorry-"
 

"Save it! You ignored me when I needed you!" Jungkook hollered. "You laughed." His voice lowered and his face dug into Jimin’s neck.
 

"I didn't think they were gonna do that to you..." Jimin hugged tighter.
 

"What makes you say that?" Jungkook slowly put his hands on Jimin’s shoulders.
 

"Because they did it to me... But they never fought me.... I thought they were all talk..." Jimin paused, but resumed. "You stood up to them… I thought you'd be fine… I'm sorry." Jimin apologized. "You were really cool."
 

Jungkook wrapped his arms around Jimin. "Thanks..." Jungkook softly said. "But you're still an ."
 

Jimin laughed. "Don't thank me for . I'll always be there for you from now on, okay?" Jungkook closed his eyes. He remembered back when he first saw Jimin. Sitting on the bench, looking bored. Jungkook never thought the boy from before would ever like him. They only name called each other. they never got into a fight, but knowing Jimin hated him kept him awake at night. He wondered what he did to make Jimin hate him.
 

"Jimin..." Jungkook spoke up, still hugging the older.
 

“Hmmm?"
 

"Why did you hate me?" Jungkook’s voice hung in the air.
 

Jimin let go of Jungkook and looked him in the eye. The older dropped his shoulders. "I-" he stopped and looked behind him.
 

"What? you what?" Jungkook pushed.
 

"Did you hear that?"
 

"Hear wh-" Jimin shushed Jungkook.
 

The boys listened carefully to the noises around them. they stared into the doorway leading to the into the kitchen. Jimin grabbed Jungkook’s hand and led him to the wall by the door.
 

"Jimin, you're scaring me." Jungkook whispered.
 

"Shhh." Jimin put a finger to his lips.
 

Jungkook stared at Jimin’s finger... or rather what was behind it. The two were so close to each other, Jungkook was scared Jimin would catch him staring so he reverted his eyes back to Jimin’s.
 

"Jimin..." Jungkook whispered again.
 

"Kookie..." Jimin whispered back removing his finger.
 

"Wha-"
 

"I said Shhh." Jimin leaned closer to Jungkook. They were an inch away from each other and still getting closer.
 

Jungkook widened his eyes at the feeling of Jimins lips touching his. The boys closed their eyes, only to be shocked back open by something dropping and breaking downstairs.
 

"Jimin!" Jungkook squealed.