Chapter 9 "Her Story"

The Sound of Rain

As Nicole locked the door behind her, she found herself face to face with Gyuri. Nicole was a bit shock which made her heart skipped a beat.

"Are you Jung Nicole?" Gyuri question with annoyance and Nicole just nod her head. "I don't want you around JunHyung anymore." Gyuri pulled her fallen hair back and handed Nicole a envelope. "Take this," she gave Nicole a quick smirk and started to walk away. Nicole stood dumbfounded staring at the envelope in her hands. "He was going to bring it to you personally, Gyuri stop herself before entering the elevator doors and turned to look at Nicole again, "I thought maybe I should be the one bringing it to you instead." Gyuri grinned and with that she walked in and Nicole could hear the doors sliding shut.

She crumbled the letter and threw it in her bag and headed towards the stairs, there she accidentally met JunHyung. The two stared at each other surprised he cleared his throat and greeted Nicole warmly, Nicole on the other hand looked past him and kept walking.

"Nicole," His voice was softer and lower, "When did you get back?" Nicole stop and she felt her face burn red. She thought about Gyuri's words and ignored him. He could hear her footsteps fading as she walked further away from him.

Nicole got to the garage of her apartment she saw Gyuri driving off in the distance, she felt a gush of wind passing by her, the lose hair hanging from the side of her face moved slowly with the wind and she walked toward her car. Before she could drive away she found JunHyung beside her car door banging trying to get her attention. She stared at him and then she reversed her car. He grabbed onto the handle of the car, yet he lost control as she drove off. He was shocked.

Right as Nicole pulled out of the garage the rain poured down hard, she felt her cold tears running down her cheeks, her heart felt like it had sink to the bottom of the ocean where she couldn't get it back. She thought of everything, she came to a stop light and waited. She was having trouble breathing, her head ached with pain, her heart ached. As the light turned green she pressed on gas and drove off toward the station.

JunHyung unlocked Nicole's apartment door and headed towards her room. He saw the notebook had been left untouched once again. He sat down opened to a new page and started righting away.

October 5,2010
Entry#33 Dear Nicole,

It's been a while since we've met face to face, but I think it's about time we don't meet at all. Seeing your cold expression today, always having trouble trying to reach out to you is just too much now. Have you been well, are you okay? That's all I care about...this heart of mines doesn't understand my head. Unknowingly I fell in love, but who can I tell? This guilt that stabs repeatedly, I already have someone waiting on me...is this a bad thing? Watching you from a distance, seeing you hurt is that something I do for you? Jung Nicole, meeting you was no regrets...the only regret I have is not being able to tell you all these feelings I've hidden here in your notebook. Love is not intentional, falling for you is not intentional not stopping myself was. This is my last entry.......this is my biggest regret not being able to be with you...

Love, Yong JunHyung


With that JunHyung slowly closed the notebook and set it back to it's original spot. His hands was wrapped tightly together, his elbows were on the table and there he rest his head on his hands. He gave a low sigh and closed his eyes. He listen as the rain poured, he felt his heart at ease...his tears started to race down his cheeks he tried as hard as he could shut his eyes trying to lock away the tears he had for Nicole.

DooJoon stared out the window watching as the rain poured down, he took a sip of his coffee and stared at his watch, it was early in the afternoon. He then found Hara standing in front of him. She gave him a smile and sat across from DooJoon.

"Did you hear?" Hara asked DooJoon as she fixed her skirt, "Nicole is out of the hospital now." She then turned her gaze to DooJoon who seemed surprised.

"She's out?" DooJoon put down his coffee, "When..."

"Just earlier today, but she isn't even well." Hara was now worried, "that's what JiYoung told me." Hara stared at DooJoon, "Do you think she'll be surprised that we are together now?" DooJoon gave Hara a smile and then took another sip.

"No, I think she'll be happy for us."

As Nicole enter the station, all eyes beamed at her with surprise faces. Nicole greeted them all the same as she had always been doing. Too shock, they just watched as Nicole slowly walked into her office. As Nicole opened the door she found DongWoon already seated waiting for her.

"DongWoon-Ah" Nicole's voice was weak, as if she was out of breath,

"I know you don't like it when I come in here without asking you," He then turned to found Nicole's lips dry, her face was pale she was shivering. "Nicole-ah!" He quickly stood up and held her beside him, Nicole's hand were icy cold.

"Please help me." Nicole fainted and DongWoon quickly put Nicole on his back and ran out of her office, all the officers stood up.

"DongWoon-Ah what happened to Nicole!"

"DongWoon!!"

"I need a car!" DongWoon yelled with anger. "Someone get a car!!" All of the offciers started to rush and DongWoon followed as Officer Kim, opened the door and got a car ready. All the officers stood outside in the rain watching as DongWoon and Officer Kim carefully placed Nicole in the car driving off.

"Aigoo, our Nicole" One of the women officer cried.

As JunHyung stepped out of Nicole's apartment he found JiYoung in front of him.

"Oh you're the oppa that stayed here last night with Nicole Unnie right?" JiYoung asked JunHyung. He nod his head and walked past JiYoung. "Is Nicole in there?" JiYoung turned around to look at JunHyung.

"No she just left to work." He stop and stared back at JiYoung.

"But she just got out of the hospital today." JiYoung mumbled to herself, then turned her attention back to JunHyung, "Can we talk over lunch?" JunHyung gave JiYoung a light surprised nod and JiYoung and JunHyung left together.

"Is she okay?" DongWoon asked as Dr.Choi came out of Nicole's room.

"She's fine, she wasn't suppose to leave right after she had just woken up her body wasn't fully recover. She needs to take better care of herself," He turned his attention toward Mr & Mrs. Jung, " she's over working her body, though her mind wants to rest she's forcing herself, please do take better care of her. She's needs to stay her for 2 more days then she can go," Dr.Choi bow to them and left.

"Aish, thank you Officer Kim and Officer Son if it wasn't for you guys I don't know what would've happened to Nicole." Mr & Mrs. Jung enter Nicole's room.

DongWoon watched as Nicole's parents opened the door he could see from afar Nicole sleeping on the bed and the door then shut and he could no longer see her.

"You're only Nicole's friend?" JiYoung asked JunHyung confused if he was telling her the truth, or if he was lying. "But then why did she let you stay over at her place?" JunHyung was still quiet. "Do you like her?" JunHyung now looked at JiYoung from across the table.

"No." He flatly replied, "Has your sister always been this quiet and cold?"

"I'm telling you this, only. I'm pretty sure you're close with Nicole and you're someone special to her to have been able to stay over at her place. Since DooJoon oppa didn't seem to be able to cure my sister from her loneliness." JiYoung's smile was weak and she cleared . "Promise this is only between you and me?" JiYoung grabbed JunHyung's hand from across the table and pinky promise with him. "It was maybe about 4-5 years ago. Nicole was never this quiet or cold, her heart was never made of stone...she had told me this,"

-Flash Back-
********************************************************
October 25,2006

Jaebeom grabbed Nicoles hand as her eyes were closed shut. It was late into the night a little past 10.

"Oppa where are you taking me?" Nicole giggled as she followed Jaebeom, "If I fall you'll catch me right?"

"I won't ever let you fall," Jaebeom replied with a smile on his face.

Jaebeom and Nicole crossed over the bridge going to the other side of their secret park. He seated Nicole down on the bench that watched over the pond with the willow tree over their head. He let go of her hands and Nicole opened her eyes.

"Wahhhh," Nicoles eyes grew bigger and the moonlight reflecting from the pond was beyond beautiful. "This is beautiful..." Nicole turned to face Jaebeom who was sitting next to her.

"Nicole-ah," Jaebeom smiled as the two stared at each other, he stood up and Nicole watched him. "I know it's a little to early to ask you since, we've just graduated not to long ago..." Nicole was now confused as Jaebeom started to hesitate, "Aish." He smiled, "I don't know why I'm so nervous now..." He then got down on one knee and grabbed for her hands. "But will you..."

"Wow, how romantic?!" A clap came from behind the two of them, Nicole and Jaebeom turned to see 5 man standing in black suits, more like thugs. "Yah Park Jaebeom wheres you're brother?" The leader of the gang walked up towards the two couple and Nicole stood up as Jaebeom did the same. He tried his best to shield Nicole behind him.

"He's not here right now," Jaebeom responded back, "who are you?!"

"Who am I?" the man chuckled, "I'm the man that you're brother owes debt to, the one that helped him and if I can't get your brother than I guess I'll just take you," the man pulled out a pocket knife and stab Jaebeom right in the stomach.

Jaebeom gave out a small cried, the rest of the man came in and pulled Nicole away from Jaebeom, she screamed as she tried to grab onto Jaebeom. Then blackness came. As Nicole opened her eyes, she found herself laying on the ground bruised, she could see Jaebeom on both knees tied up. His face was bruised his head was bloody. She scrambled towards him. The two were now behind the old factory where no one could hear their screams.

"Jaebeom!" Nicole rushed to untied Jaebeom who was speechless. His eyes were dozing off, "You'll be okay."

"Nicole...run" Jaebeom pushed his body agaisnt Nicole for the last time, "My only regret is not being able to hold you with my hands..."

Nicole could hear his heart beating 'Thump Thump Thump Thump' it goes. As she leaned in forward she heard someone loading a gun ready to fire. Jaebeom stared at Nicole with his tired eyes, he was in pain Nicole could tell, his tears now started to fall, yet he gave Nicole a smiled she would never forget. This was Nicole's last chance, she stared back at where she had awoken to find her phone she turned around and scrambled for her phone, she picked it up and dialed.

She turned around to see the man staring at Jaebeom with his 5 other acquaintances,

"Hello this Seoul's police station what is the problem." The lady on the line voice was calm as Nicole removed the phone out of her ears, The man smiled at Nicole she stared as he pointed the gun towards Jaebeom's heart.

"Nicole!" Jaebeom yelled with all he had left, "RUN!" Nicole stood up on her feet that we're bruised and burned.

"Please don't do it." Nicole got on both knees and tears roar down her face, "PLEASE STOP!!!!" Nicole yelled " there was silence, then one gunshot to the heart. Nicoles eyes widen, she watched as Jaebeom's body slowly fell onto the cold cement floors,

"Hello, hello?!" The officer lady repeated her voice was now loud and worried. "We're tracking down your call right now please stay calm"

Nicole watched as Jaebeom's body slammed onto the floor, she could see the thugs running away.

"Yah! Kim Jing Su!! Hurry the police are coming!!" One of the man yelled out to their leader, he stared at Nicole and gave her a smile and walked away from Jaebeoms body."

Nicole forgot about the pain she felt in her legs she stood up and ran toward Jaebeom's bloody body, he grabbed him and held him in her arms.

"N-N-N-Nicole-Ah." He was now huffing for air, "The bullet didn't hit my heart...but either way, I don't think I'll make it." Nicole put her hand on his mouth.

"You'll make it, I promise..." Nicole was crying and shaking her head, "There coming please hold on a little longer."

The ambulance and officers rushed to the old factory to find Nicole and Jaebeom.
Nicole waited in the waiting room with her parents and Jaebeoms.

"You wrenched!" Mrs.Park stood in front of Nicole crying, "it's all because of you thats why my Jaebeom is in this condition. Nicole's head was bowed low tears kept falling down and it wouldn't stop.

"Yah, why are you yelling at my daughter like this?!" Mrs.Jung stood up and yelled at Mrs.Park, "Don't you see how bruised up my daughter is too?!"

"My son is on the line of death right now!" Mrs.Park yelled and her husband pulled her away, but before he could she slapped Nicole on the face and cried as her husband pulled her away.

"Nicole don't be to harsh on yourself." Mrs.Jung comfort Nicole, Mr.Jung stood up and patted Nicole in the back and tears ran down his face.

"You're still our daughter. We'll always love you, this isn't your fault it could've happened to anyone. The two of you just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time."

The Doctor step out of the surgery room Nicole stood up quick and walked toward him.

"How is he?" Nicole's voice started to falter, Mr & Mrs.Park stood behind and watched as the doctor shock his head.

"He lost to much blood, we're really sorry." He walked away and Mrs.Park gave out a cried.

"My Jaebeom isn't coming back?! This is a lie I won't believe it!!" She walked over to Nicole, "I don't ever want to see your face not even at his funeral!!!"
-End of Flash Back-
********************************************************


"But Nicole Unnie, went despite everything that Mrs.Park had told her." JiYoung told JunHyung.

"She went to the funeral?" JunHyung question.

"After they buried him and everyone left she went out to give him flowers...after that day she changed and everything was different from then on...she moved out, didn't take her full ride to medical school..." JiYoung wiped away her fallen tears. "You promise you wouldn't tell anyone, we've been here for a little longer than I have expected" JiYoung smiled, "I trust you...please do take care of Nicole," with that JiYoung walked out of the restaurant and headed home. JunHyung was stun.

Nicole opened her eyes and found herself laying in the hospital bed, her mom sitting beside her already asleep. She stared outside to see only darkness and saw the time was now already 9 at night. As Nicole tried to stand up she found herself strapped against the bed, she didn't have the strength to tried to get lose so she laid there listening as the rain outside poured down. She closed her eyes, for once she wanted to rest her tired body.

Nicole was standing at the front counter waiting for her released form from the doctor. Her mom was beside her as the nurse signed off some paper work. Dr.Choi passed by and stop to talk to Nicole.

"Thank you for cooperating this time." He smiled and walked away.

"You guys are ready to leave now." The nurse handed the paperwork to Mrs.Jung and the two walked out.

"Umma," Nicole turned around to face her mom,"I'll take the bus home, you can go home you must be tired for being here for two days straight go get some rest and clean up." Nicole gave her mom a weak smiled and walked over to the bus stop.

"Go directly home!" Mrs.Jung called out to Nicole who waved at her mom without ever looking back and got onto the bus.

"Gyuri?" JunHyung walked out of his bedroom into the living room, "have you seen the envelope with Nicole's name on it?"

"Ughh...." Gyuri stood up quickly walking towards the kitchen, "I haven't seen it why?"

"You didn't mailed it right?" JunHyung started to look at the pile of papers on the coffee table."I was going throw that invitation away."

Nicole opened her apartment door and walked inside slipping on her slippers. She closed the door behind her and walked straight into her bedroom.

"JunHyung but didn't you want her at our wedding?" Gyuri walked back into the living staring as JunHyung seemed desperate looking for the invitation. "You weren't planning to invite her?"

"NOO!" JunHyun yelled out of frustration, "I'll never do that..."

"Why?"

"Because...."

"I gave it to her." Gyuri finally spoke. "I gave it to her because, I wanted her to know that you're my man, for her to see that you were already taken and that we were getting married."

"When did you give it to her?" JunHyung stop searching,

"About three days ago."

"Did she read it?"

"When I left she was just holding onto it still, I'm not sure." JunHyung grabbed his coat and left rushing out into the rain. He stared as the streets were less crowded than the road and decided to run to Nicole's place.

Nicole opened her bedroom window and walked into the bathroom to wash up. After she finished she walked into her kitchen to grab a glass of water. She then went back into her room. She was looking through her bag and found the enveloped Gyuri had given to her three days ago she grabbed the crumbled up enveloped and slowly ripped it opened.

As JunHyung reached the outside of Nicole's apartment he took no time to rest and ran into the building as fast as he could, hoping she had yet not read the invitation.

Nicole unfolded the card and started to read. JunHyung was now standing in front of Nicole's apartment and pulled out his keys when he decided to knock. He waited.

"You're invited to Yong JunHyung and Park Gyuris Wedding on October 25,2010"

Nicole dropped onto her knees the card on her right hand and ignored the knock she had heard, JunHyung who was waiting impatiently grabbed his copied key and unlocked the door. He saw her bedroom light was on, locked the door behind him and rushed into her room, there he found Nicole sitting on the floor, onto her left was the crumbled envelope in her right hand was the card.

"Nicole..." JunHyung's voice tremble and Nicole slowly turned to face him.