Chapter 1 "Emotions"

The Sound of Rain

Nicole used to be the typical cheerful sunshine that brighten up everyones cloudy days. She was outgoing, and lively. she was going to start medical school in hoping to become a nurse, during the upcoming fall semester. She listened and choose the path her parents had asked her. She had a boyfriend who she truly loved. Everyone loved her, as much as she had loved everyone. Everything changed in a blink of an eye, two weeks after high school was over for.

********************************************************

The morning became colder and colder each day. Silence crept upon Nicole's bedroom walls. The image of Jaebeom drifted slowly away from her dreams, just procession by. The sun made its way through the cloudy start of morning. Nicole open her teary eyes, to find herself curl up in a ball; alone in bed once again. Nicole sat up slowly rubbing her eyes. It was a Sunday morning, the wind was rushing by her windowpane and fast.


"Should I go?" She question herself confusingly...she stared at the picture frame that sat still on her desk. It was a picture of her and Jaebeom. Silent swept in and the coldness became thicker. "I'm sorry...I'm useless."

The guilt stabbed and stabbed repeatedly deep down into her heart. She grabbed for her phone, she stared at Jaebeom's name from her contact list.

"It's about time...it's about time I tried to erase you..."

Nicole then deleted his number...Nicole got up and headed for the showers. After she had finished washing up she grabbed her towel and wrapped it around her body. Nicole walked towards her closet, she slowly skimmed through her dresses and found a note hanging from a blue dresses that Nicole don't remember having.

'Nicole-ah I saw this dress and thought of you...I know how much you hate having blind dates, but this I know will benefit you. I don't want you to keep stressing, Call me when you received this okay?' - Love Mom

"How long has this been in my closet?" Nicole question herself. She grabbed the dress and putted it nicely on her bed. She grabbed her phone and called her mom.

"Hello"

"Umma...it's me Nicole"

"Aaigoo, Nicole-Ah did you just find the dress I got you just now?"

"Yes...umma you didn't have too." Nicole felt her voice lowing.

"I'm sorry, I promise I won't do it again. Your father and I have been planning your engagement party."

"Engagement party?" Nicole sounding more awake.

"Yes we've been trying to call you but you've never picked up, You're engagement is next week, so remember to take next week off from work..." Nicole stood shock.

"Umma..." Nicole hesitated..."Alright I'll take work off next week..." Nicole was surprised she had agreed so easily, back then she had obeyed and kept the title of and obedient daughter to her relatives and her parents. After everything that had happened she had refuse profoundly at everything that her parents had asked her. She had given up medical school and decided to become a police officer. She had refuse every blind dates that were set up, expect for one that she was physically forced to go and the guy was more of a girl than Nicole, so why all of a sudden did she agreed to something she wasn't even ready for.

"Alright then, come over tomorrow, we've sent out the invitation. Hara says she misses you very much. She can't wait, and wear the dress I got you okay, we'll be meeting the parents tomorrow. Oh and darling NO FLATS or your KICKS, I want you to wear the heels that I got you too. I promise you'll love this boy. Bye" Mrs.Jung hung up before Nicole could change her mind.

Nicole stared at the dress, she grabbed it hung it back in her closet and put on her work clothes. Nicole combed her bob-cut hair which had grew to shoulder length. She tied it back into a small pony-tail and grabbed her hat. She stared at herself in the mirror. She grabbed her name tagged and nipped in onto her shirt. Officer Jung

Nicole headed out her apartment, she drove off towards her station. As Nicole enter the station everyone stared at Nicole with excitement.

"Nicole-ah!" DongWoon ran first towards Nicole. "So I heard!" he smiled.

"You heard about what?" Nicole voice was flat like always, she gave off the vibe of 'I don't care about anything' and everyone at the station knew this very well, yet they all loved Nicole.

"The engagement party, you're mom called and invited everyone here!" One of the police officer shouted.

"Yeah Jung why didn't you tell any of us?!"

"Am I invited"

"Ah you're going to make such a beautiful bride!"

"Who's the lucky guy?!" Another shouted.

"I'm not getting engaged to anyone." Nicole unemotionally stated and walked towards her office.

"Aish she's still the same, I thought at least she would be jolly for once, have any of you guys seen her smile at all before?" Officer Kim gave a smirk and everyone went back to their work. DongWoon watched as Nicole walked away and disappeared into her office.

"No...." DongWoon silently whisper to himself.

As Nicole enter her office, she sat down and took out the file that she had been studying for the past few years. She opened the file and stared at the photo that was staring back at her. She had been repeatedly looking over the file ever since she was promoted to be officer.

"Robbing, drug dealing...murder" Nicole whisper those words to herself..."Kim Jing Su...I'll get you"

"Nicole we have a robbery!" One of the male officer quickly opened Nicoles door.

"Got it" Nicole grabbed her equipment and head out. "DongWoon hurry lets go."

Nicole and DongWoon with other officers stood outside the bank, asking the man to come out and nobody will get hurt. 5 cop cards park outside, a helicopter over head news reporters at the scene. All the officers had their guns ready. From inside they heard severely shootings go off. People were screaming and you can hear the cries of young children.

"I'm going in." Nicole buckled her bulletproof vest on and walked towards the entry door. The other officers gave her the signal to go in. Nicole walked slowly her gun she putted in slowly away on the right-side of her pocket. She could see the man turning his gun point to her. Still that didn't scare Nicole. Nicole open the doors.

"Ya! Stay back or I'll shoot you with all these F***** people." He yelled at Nicole, Nicole could see that his hands were shaking and his sweat started to overflow.

"This is your first time robbing a bank huh?" Nicole flatly asked.

"Why the F*** do you care, get out I'm just taking the money and I'll be gone!"

"Then you should've just ask them nicely for the money. Not at GUN POINT!" Nicole yelled, she slowly moved towards the guy.

"I'm not afraid to shoot" He gave a grin. "I'm not afraid to shoot an police officer." He warned.

"I'm not afraid to die." Nicole stun him with her words. "You're not afraid to shoot me, I'm not afraid if you shoot me...but I know you're scared if I was to shoot you...because you've never felt the pain of others before but yourself. You only know how it hurts, but you don't know how it hurts to see others in pain."

"So I'll have no problem shooting you and to see you in pain." He correct Nicole. Nicole started to approach him "Stay BACK!" Nicole raised her hand, she was signaling for the other officers to come in. One by one they scattered and surrounded the man. "You...you B****!!" He pointed his gun at Nicole and pulled the trigger.

"NICOLE!" All the officers yelled and then another shot was made. Parents, workers & children cried at the sound of the shots.

"I Told you I wasn't scared if you were to shoot me" Nicole had shot at the mans right hand where he had been holding the gun, as the man was about to pull the trigger Nicole had pulled out her gun and waited as he shot the first bullet, then she shot him. The bullet missed Nicole and had hit the ceiling. The man felled onto his knees and the officers rushed to pulled him down and put him in handcuffs. Nicole walked out of the bank and towards her car,; DongWoon followed behind. As Nicole started the engine, DongWoon quickly slipped into the passenger seat just in time before Nicole took off. There was an awkward silence like always. DongWoon stared at Nicole who was keeping her interest on the road.

"I wonder if she knows..." he question himself mindlessly

"What.." Nicole interrupted DongWoon's thoughts without knowing. "From the corners of my eyes, I've notice you've been staring at me for the last couple of minutes. What do you want Son DongWoon." That was the first time Nicole had ever address DongWoon by his full name.

"Aishh." DongWoon embarrassingly turned away. "Ugh I was just daydreaming."

"Daydreaming...huhh?" Nicole gave a quick smile." DongWoon took a quick glance at Nicole, and her smile quickly disappear. He couldn't believe it, Nicole...Jung Nicole finally smiled once. His heart started to thump thump thump.

After returning to the station, Nicole had been at work for more than 11 hours, it was already 12:01 a.m. Nicole grabbed her belongings and headed out. The night was cold, since fall was already approaching. Nicole looked at her phone September 1,2010.

"I forgot it's already Monday..." Nicole told herself. She put her phone away and headed towards her car. With that she headed back to her apartment.

As Nicole enter her tiny apartment and close the door behind her, she slid her slippers on and headed towards her room. She took off her jacket, threw her phone on her bed. She walked to the shower and washed up. After Nicole finished washing up she opened her bedroom window. She stared outside as the wind blew past her face. Her phone light up "You Have a New Message" Nicole grabbed her phone and open the new text message.

"Remember to eat...I haven't seen you in awhile, don't be to harsh on yourself. Hopefully I get too see you soon...^^"

Nicole stared at the message for a few minute. Her lips curved and she gave a small smile in return. She had deleted every unread messages, this was her first message she had read ever since last year. This person was someone special to Nicole. After reading the message Nicole locked the message, threw the phone next to her pillow and headed towards the kitchen, she boiled ramen and ate rice. After she finished she turned off all the lights, and headed to bed. Before laying down she grabbed the photo of her and Jaebeom, she ran her fingers across Jaebeom's face. Her emotion started to boil up. She felt her tears forming.

"You're the only person that is able to play my emotion...you're the one who knows how to make me happy, laugh...and cry without being told to do so." She silently wiped away the fallen tears. She putted the picture frame down. Nicole lied down and closed her teary eyes. She had cried herself to sleep every single night. The wind passed her windowpane. The moon was shining, the stars were slowly disappearing as the clouds started to move in. Nicole had fallen asleep.