IX. Restless Fingers

♬ ♪ My boredom is infinite
Please log in to read the full chapter

<.< and here I said I'm writing on my horror one-shot. I AM writing on it don't worry xD I got sidetracked after I watched "The Genius Ep.6" where Sunggyu is the tief <3 I got inspired and had to write it down.


Leave a comment below if you like it <3 (Midnight School Murder II will definitely be the next update sorry!)

around 5.600 words!
 

 

 

IX. Restless Fingers [Woogyu/Thief AU]
 

Sunggyu steals for the first time when he is five.
The action thrills him and he continues to steal unconsciously.
He can’t stop his hand from grabbing things – or living beings – that don’t belong to him.
He needs to steal to feel alive.
-
Sunggyu is a thief with the mask of an angel.

 



Sunggyu steals for the first time when he is five. The item he takes is the small teddy bear from his younger brother. No one notices him when he sneaks the toy out of the room. No one finds it in his room, because shortly afterwards he dumps it in a trash can on his way to kindergarten. His first theft is unintentional, but it thrills the little boy more than any children’s series on TV or pancakes for breakfast. He’s too small to really understand what stealing is. He’s curious about things that don’t belong to him – and maybe a bit jealous of his brother – that’s why he starts taking them. Sunggyu never tells anyone about this urge in him. He thinks it’s normal and he can’t understand why his brother is sad about the loss of his toy, but it fascinates him.

The next item he takes is his mother’s lipstick a few months later. Sunggyu doesn’t intend to use it though, but he watches in delight as she rummages threw the bathroom and every other possible hiding place. She doesn’t look for it in Sunggyu’s room of course. That’s when he learns that people tend to overlook the most obvious hiding places. He’s a little startled when she asks him if he has seen the lipstick, but the small boy shakes his head and smiles innocently. That’s another thing he learnes during his early years: his smile can manipulate people’s opinion. Little Sunggyu may not know a lot about the world, but he knows how to act and he perfects it in the next years.

He keeps on stealing little things for years, sometimes multiple times a week. The urge gets stronger each time. Sunggyu can’t stop his hands from grabbing other people’s stuff. Sometimes it’s an item that he wants to know about, but most of the time he simply steals to feel the thrill and throws it away afterwards. The things he keeps are hidden very well from his parents and his curious little brother. No one has found out about his habit yet. He hides it behind a sweet eye smile and a shy lisp. Things disappear wherever he goes, but no one suspects him. It excites him, makes him feel like he’s in power. Sunggyu is ten when he steals from a shop for the first time. It’s an expensive flashlight. He’s not in need for one. His eyes find the object in a shelf and before he knows it the item is already in his bag. His heartbeat increases instantly as he walks out of the shop with calm steps. There’s no indication on his face that he has done something illegal. He steps out of the shop untouched and unseen. The thrill of the cameras and the shop clerk intensify the feeling of enjoyment in his chest. He whistles as he walks back home.

The little boy keeps the flashlight.

His little brother catches him when Sunggyu is 12. He takes the brace that his sibling usually uses, but the problem is that his brother sees him when he snatches it. The younger cries immediately and tells him to give it back to him. Sunggyu doesn’t. He keeps it and hides it fast. His mother turns up in his room minutes later and asks him about it. He looks at the younger boy, who hides behind his mother’s long legs with teary eyes. Sunggyu uses his first real lie and accuses his brother of doing it himself to get their mother’s attention. He lets his mother search his room, but she finds nothing and he knows that he has won the game already. It’s a game for him and the thrill of someone knowing about his deeds is unbelievable. His victim is right there in the same room, but in the end Sunggyu is innocent again. His mother ruffles his hair and gives him a short warning about stealing someone’s belongings. He nods and accepts. His brother is clearly dissatisfied when he gets dragged away, but the little thief is delighted.

Everything takes a different turn after his 15th’s birthday. Sunggyu is strolling through the streets when he hears a dog bark in a garden. He stares at the dog on the other side of the fence for a while. He crouches down and carefully extends his hand. The dog stops barking and sniffs at his hand. Sunggyu’s hands his soft fur and when his fingers find the collar excitement rushes through his veins. His eyes sparkle as his fingers cruise along the harder surface. The animal in front of him is a living thing, yet he belongs to someone. He needs to follow his owners wishes, needs to catch the ball, needs to behave and needs to be lovable. Sunggyu pities the creature in front of him, but even more than that he wants to take it. He knows how much people love dead things. How much would the family miss the dog? The little boy knows he can’t simply take the dog. It will not follow a stranger without a reason and the danger of being seen is big. He can’t hide the dog in his bag either. It’s too heavy and it will move around. He can’t walk around with it in the neighborhood because people probably know that he belongs to someone else.

Sunggyu makes his first planned theft ever.

He ponders about it for a week. He prepares a plan and buys some stuff he might need. Sunggyu reads books about dogs in the library – he tells his mother that he goes there to study, which makes her very proud. He learns a lot about their behavior and what moves their loyal hearts. They’re a lot like humans. They can be manipulated with small things, but the little boy reads somewhere in a book that dogs can look into people’s souls when they meet your eyes. The thought is intriguing for Sunggyu, but he gets a bit scared of meeting the eyes of his prey now. Maybe the dog will see the intention in his small eyes.

The boy befriends the dog.

He is careful not to be seen around the neighborhood too often. He brings toys sometimes or little snacks. The dog gets more and more submissive each time he comes. Sunggyu thinks the animal in front of him is very stupid, but in the end humans are still more stupid in his opinion. It’s his fifth visit with the dog when he takes his collar off. The dog doesn’t flinch or move away, it even seems a bit happy to be free of it, but Sunggyu puts it back on his neck before he leaves. He rubs his fingertips on the way back home. He grins to himself when he’s eating dinner with his family. His father wonders if something good has happened to him lately. He says ‘yes’ and shows his mother the A+ he got on every subject. It’s not the real reason for his happiness, but it makes his parents happy. Sunggyu doesn’t care though. Grades are just useless in his eyes. He can’t steal other people’s grades. He could look at their answers to steal them, but there’s no need for him to copy wrong answers.

Sunggyu snatches the dog away after his third week of stalking his prey. It happens in a few seconds. The small entrance to the garden isn’t locked. He only needs to open the door and the dog jumps out without hesitation. The boy takes its collar off and swiftly hands the dog a snack. The animal doesn’t know it, but there’s a small drug inside. Sunggyu isn’t sure about the effect, because he has simply stolen a sleeping pill out of their med storage. The dose in the snack is only a part of the real pill of course – Sunggyu is not dumb. He observes the surroundings carefully. The usual thrill grabs his heart and makes his fingers tremble from excitement. He pets the dog and smiles when the small animal falls to the side. He takes it and puts it into a box he has prepared beforehand. It’s full of garbage. He has thought a lot about his disguise, but his plan seemed perfect. If someone sees him, he will act like a diligent teenager, who cleans the neighborhood of trash. Adults love kids like him, who keep the environment clean. When he carries the well-hidden dog away he meets some people. An old lady even gives him money for being such a nice and caring boy. Sunggyu smiles brightly at her and continues to pick up garbage from the ground to improve his cover. No one suspects him and Sunggyu fights the urge the laugh out loud.

He only stops his act when he’s far away from the home of the dog. Sunggyu crouches down in an alley and digs out the dog. The animal is still sleeping. The boy stares at it for a while with fascination and pity before he stands up and leaves. Sunggyu walks back home with the collar in his pocket and a feeling of achievement in his chest, but there’s also the feeling that something is missing. He has the collar and the dog is free, but something bugs him. He passes the house of the family a few days later. He can see posters everywhere in the neighborhood ‘We’re looking for our Dongie’ with a picture of the dog below and their phone number. Sunggyu doesn’t see anyone in the garden, but he meets the desperate family on his way back home. They’re distributing flyers and he can see the tears sparkling in their eyes. He can see how much sleep they’ve been losing over this and the boy finally feels complete. He’s taken something important from them and they don’t know that it was him. They even smile at him and ask him for help. Sunggyu says ‘yes’ but inside he’s laughing.

The boy doesn’t tell them where the dog could be.

He never forgets about the dog, not after one year and not after two. There are several reasons for it. First off he can’t forget the feeling of stealing a living being. It’s different from the sentimental feelings humans hold towards dead things. Sunggyu continues to steal small or big things from people he knows or strangers, but it’s not the same as the dog. He can’t forget the sensation, nothing compares to it. Second off he can’t forget the silhouette of the sleeping creature. He looks for the dog a few times, but doesn’t find it again. He may have stolen it but the boy doesn’t want the small animal to die. He can only hope that it is still alive, but the possibility bugs him. There’s one thing Kim Sunggyu is sure of:

He doesn’t want to steal a life.

Sunggyu is 18 when he steals a car. He doesn’t have a license yet, but he wants to drive anyway. Since his parents refuse to buy him a car, he gives in to the urges eventually and steals one. It’s an old one and it can’t drive very fast. It makes weird noises when he changes gears, but Sunggyu makes it out of the city with it. He doesn’t get caught, though his driving style gives him away as a novice. He dumps the car at the outskirts. Sunggyu is careful not to leave any fingerprints and he makes sure that no one sees him leaving the car. He keeps the car keys as a souvenir of his first drive and walks back home. It takes him a few hours and his mother is worried as hell when he returns, but the boy simply tells her that he got accepted into the college of her dreams and was celebrating it with his friends, which quickly shuts her up.

In college Sunggyu finds out that he is also a master at stealing hearts. Not the organ itself of course, but women flock to him. He doesn’t know why. He has a nerdy image and his mother makes sure that he dresses accordingly, but maybe they can sense that he is different. Sunggyu never falls in love with any of them. He just bewitches them and steals their love before he dumps them skillfully or rather: they dump him. He’s careful not to be the one who ends the relationship. He doesn’t want people to think he’s a cheating player. He needs their trust. Instead he gets a reputation as a sweet lover, who always falls for the wrong girls and gets hurt way too often. In the eyes of the females he is the weak type that needs protection and a strong hand. Sunggyu is an actor, he is a thief and he still can’t stop his urges. He steals from his girlfriends occasionally; sometimes a piece of their clothing, an earring, even a credit card and a cellphone. They never suspect him because Sunggyu always has the perfect lie on his tongue. He is a quick thinker with the image of an angel - with the world at his hands.

H

Please log in to read the full chapter