XV. Darkness [1/2]

♬ ♪ My boredom is infinite
Please log in to read the full chapter

People! Forgive me for writing angst (and not even something from my prompt list). This was something that has been on my mind for a while now and strangely enough I was in the mood for some angst. This was supposed to be JUST THE DAMN PROLOG NOT DAMN 10 PAGES LONG. So things will get ugly, dark and really angsty in part two. Maybe you can guess who Woohyun wants to take revenge on and it won't be pretty. Will it have a happy ending? Maybe! Next update will be on....surprise day! D:
Don't you love me?
You do.

Because I forgot it in my HV update: Breaking The Silence got nominated for the AFF awards! But I guess I shall force you all to vote in my next update lol...
On another note: This is my ask ! Sad I know. No one asks me anything haha. So if you have a question or maybe a prompt. Because someday I will write prompts you want, especially if the idea strikes something in me (lol) but questions would be nice too of course. I don't bite~

I'm sorry if it haha~ I love you guys /throws hearts
 

 

XV. DARKNESS
[1/2]
[woogyu!angst/thriller(?)]

Sunggyu loses his eyesight as a young child. From there on his world is always black - a complete darkness that no light can break through. An incident in his youth intertwines his fate with Woohyun’s, but it’s not a good bond that is forged between them. Woohyun is out for revenge and he isn’t going to stop very soon…

 



(Sunggyu)



Sunggyu remembers what the world used to look like. The colors and shapes are like sugar on the tip of his tongue. He can taste them when his fingers touch certain things, but as time passes the colors get harder to differentiate. Which shade of green were the trees in their garden? Was his mother’s skin pale or normal? What color did her eyes even have? He doesn’t like to ponder about those things. Sunggyu tends to get lost in his thoughts then and it usually ends with a breakdown.

He is just a child but he is blind. Sunggyu can tell that his mother cannot handle his breakdowns well. He knows because he can hear her cry behind the closed door to her bedroom, even when she thinks he is not listening. Sunggyu knows because he hears when she opens up a new bottle of alcohol to drown her sorrow. He can smell it in the air and hear it in her voice when she tells him to go away. He doesn’t hate his mother, no matter how cold her voice can get or how often she tells him to stay in his room and leave her alone. He loves her because his mother is the only person he has. Sunggyu doesn’t know what has happened to his dad, but he hasn’t been around for years since his eyesight started to weaken. Sometimes he wonders if his dad has run away. Sometimes he asks his mother about him, but the only thing he gets as an answer is silence.

He hates the silence. As a blind person silence is frightening. You can only trust on the senses you have left, like hearing, taste and touch, after your eyesight is gone. Sunggyu is afraid of moments when he can’t hear a thing. He’s alone in the dark with his quivering heartbeat. It makes him feel like he is dead instead of alive, although his heart is beating. In those moments he just needs to hear something – even if it is the cold voice of his mother. He doesn’t want to be alone in absolute darkness.

“Sunggyu-yah.” His mother calls and he turns his head in the direction of her voice. “Let’s go to the park, okay? The sun is shining outside.”

The boy simply nods and stands up. Sunggyu has no idea why is mother suddenly wants to go to the park. They don’t go out very often and certainly not to the park. He can’t appreciate the good weather anyways and he can’t play around in the park like other kids. He doesn’t even like places with a lot of strangers since it means more noise and too much noise is distracting for him. He uses his hearing a lot to orientate himself, but it’s hard to do so when there are too many distractions. But he never says no when his mother asks him to do something. Sunggyu is a quiet and obedient boy. He doesn’t make his own decisions, because he thinks his mother is making the right ones for him. She can see after all.

He s his way to the wardrobe where his jacket is hanging and quickly put it on. Sunggyu tries his best to do small things like this on his own. He doesn’t want to be too much of a burden on his mother. The boy sits down on the floor to put on his shoes next. It’s easy to find his shoes since his mother is always wearing heels and has much bigger feet. His tiny fingers tie the shoelaces skillfully and next to him he can hear his mother shuffle as she puts on her own clothes.

“Open your hands.” She says suddenly and he holds them out.

Something is placed into his hands. He grabs the item and his fingers trace the object carefully until he recognizes it as his backpack. It’s rather heavy in his hands. Sunggyu wonders what’s inside and why he needs to take it to the park with him, but the boy doesn’t ask his mother for the reason. He doesn’t doubt her decisions. Sunggyu puts his arms through the straps and his mother pats his head softly.

“Good boy.”

He gives a smile to her – or at least the direction where her face should be – and Sunggyu wonders if she is smiling back as she takes his hand. “Let’s go.”





The walk to the park isn’t long, especially since his mother seems to be in a hurry. His short legs can barely catch up with her big steps. He almost trips and falls several times, but a pull on his arm always saves him. Sunggyu tries to keep as close to her as possible because the outside world is scary for him. He can hear all kind of noises like cars and talking people. A brush of air hits him every time a person walks past them. Sudden, loud noises make him flinch every time but his mother’s voice is always there to keep him calm.

“You’re a good boy, Sunggyu.”
“Only a few meters more.”
“I’m proud of you.”

The sound of water and laughing children tells him that they’ve reached the park. He smells the grass in the air and the sound of cars is almost gone. His mother stops after a while. “There’s a bench in front of us. Do you want to sit down?”

Sunggyu reaches out with his hand and s around until his fingers find the wooden object. He frees his second hand and uses both hands to hoist himself onto the bench. He lets his feet dangle and reaches out for his mother again with his hands. “What do you want, Sunggyu? Talk to me.”

He taps on the space next to him. “Sit down.”

“Shouldn’t you add something? What have I taught you?” Her voice carries a hint of impatience and Sunggyu lets his hands fall into his lap.

“Please sit down.”

The wood gives in slightly when she sits down and a hand ruffles Sunggyu’s hair. “You should talk more. It will be easier to make new friends.”

“They said it’s rude to speak to them without looking at their faces.” He answers truthfully and if he’s even more honest, Sunggyu doesn’t talk because he has no idea what to say.

Her hand moves to his cheek and caress it softly. “Then they are rude because they should understand that you can’t, but still you are trying. Where is my face, Sunggyu?”

The hand disappears from his face and Sunggyu raises his left arm. He tries to remember the exact direction her voice comes from and points his finger. She laughs shortly. “That’s my chest.”

His shoulders fall and Sunggyu presses his lips together. It’s hard. He wonders if people understand how hard it is. She grabs his small wrist and moves his hand higher. “Here is my face. Don’t be discouraged. At least you didn’t point at a tree in the opposite direction. You’re getting there.”

The boy smiles. He loves it when his mother encourages him like this, when her voice is soft and warm like the sunshine on his skin. “Don’t ever give up, okay? You have to promise me.”

He nods and tries to pull his hand away, but she doesn’t loosen her grasp. “Promise me. Keep on trying no matter what others say or hard it gets.”

Sunggyu tilts his head to the side. “I promise.”

“Good boy. Should mommy buy you some ice cream as a reward?”

His smile returns and the boy nods excitedly. “Yes! Vanilla! Can I have two scoops?”

“Of course. Be a good boy and wait here until I’m back, okay?” He nods again and her hand goes to his hair again. “Don’t break your promise, Sunggyu. I love you.”

She stands up and Sunggyu hears her walking away. He puts his hands back into his lap and lets his legs dangle again. The boy does his best not to get nervous by all the foreign sounds around him as he waits for his mother’s return. Sunggyu starts humming a children’s song she taught him. He’s a good boy, so he will not leave the bench no matter how scary the darkness may seem. He knows that she is going to return soon – with his favorite ice cream flavor.

After a while, he gets nervous again. Sunggyu wonders why his mother hasn’t returned yet, but he is not even sure how much time has passed. It’s hard to measure time when you can’t look at a clock or at the sky. Maybe the ice cream parlor is too far away or there are too many customers. He starts humming the song again while his tiny feet kick the empty air in front of him.

Time passes again. Sunggyu has started counting the times he hummed the children’s song. He has sung it around 20 times now, sometimes stopping for a break or because he forgot a line, other times simply faltering in his determination. The park gets quieter with every minute that passes in absolute darkness. Sunggyu is starting to hear less voices and the air is getting chilly. He wonders if the sun has disappeared like his mother, but he still doesn’t move. He promised her to wait for here and Sunggyu is a good boy – he will wait.

He hears someone getting closer to his right side and he turns his head slightly. “Mother?”

The steps stop. “Do I look like your mother?”

The voice is young and male, nothing like the voice of his mother. Sunggyu shifts in his place, unsure what to reply, so he just turns his head away again. The other boy doesn’t go away though, instead he steps closer. “Hey, don’t ignore me. Are you sleeping?”

“No.” Is all he says before he falls silent again. As if I could talk to you while sleeping. What an idiot.

Sunggyu doesn’t want to interact with the other boy. He will probably run away anyways once he sees his eyes. He has them closed most of the time because it’s the same technically no matter what he does and some people are crept out by his glazed eyes.

“Why are you just sitting here like a loner?” The boy asks and his voice is suddenly so close that Sunggyu jumps. He moves away with his fingers tracing the wooden bench so that he wouldn’t fall down suddenly. He knows that the bench has got to have an end somewhere.

The other boy clicks his tongue and Sunggyu heaves a sigh in relief when he hears footsteps fading away. Mother…when are you coming? I’m hungry. I don’t care about the ice cream anymore. He digs his fingers into the fabric of his pants as he tries to hold the tears back. Be strong. You’re a good boy, right?

His thoughts are interrupted when someone is coming closer to him again, this time he can hear more than one pair of feet. Sunggyu bites his lower lip nervously. Walk past me. Please walk past me.

“Hello there, little boy.” A woman says to him and Sunggyu fidgets on his spot. Her voice is nice and soft like his mother’s – sometimes – but he doesn’t know her. The temptation to talk to her is strong because Sunggyu misses his mother and he has no idea how to find her. He can’t leave his place and even if he could, he would not be able to spot her.

“Are you waiting for you mother? My son said you called out for her.” She tries again and Sunggyu nods hesitantly. The woman laughs shortly. “What a brave boy, to wait here all alone. Where did your mother go?”

He traces the pattern on his pants absentmindedly. “Ice…Ice cream.”

“Oh, I see. What’s your favorite flavor?” She asks cheerfully and he can imagine her smiling at him, though he has no idea what she looks like.

“I love strawberry!” A boy exclaims and Sunggyu recognizes his voice from before.

“I didn’t ask you, Hyun. So, what do you like?”

“V-Vanilla. I get two scoops today.” He smiles shyly.

The other boy snorts. “Vanilla, seriously? That’s so lame!”

Sunggyu pouts. “It’s not lame! It’s the best! You are lame!”

The woman laughs at their little argument. “When did your mother leave?”

He shrugs and lowers his head. “Do you know what time it is?”

“It’s almost 6 p.m.. Do you want to look for you mother together? I can help you if you want. It’s getting dark. You shouldn’t stay here on your own. It’s dangerous for a child.”

Sunggyu bites his lower lip. Six p.m. means that he has been sitting here for at least 5 hours. It doesn’t take that long to buy ice cream, does it? “No, thank you. My mother said I should wait here.”

“You’re a good boy, aren’t you?” He nods eagerly.

“I think he’s just stupid. He always has his eyes closed and he doesn’t even look at you!” The boy says. His words are followed by a short “Ouch! That hurt’s, mom!” and Sunggyu smiles weakly.

“Ignore that br

Please log in to read the full chapter