VII. By your side

♬ ♪ My boredom is infinite
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A/N: As you can see I'm always starting new one instead of finishing my list xD but it's myunggyu anyways! I've already started most of the one-shots but I tend to get lost in new ideas ^^'
For my BtS readers the update will probably be on saturday (european time lol) since I'm not finished yet, but I have already started. Don't worry!

I won't spoil you about the ending. Leave comments if you like it <3

Thank you my lovely subscribers~ if you do have a wish for a certain one-shot to be done next or a couple you can try and tell me, but I can't promise it will happen ^^

~5200 words!
 

 

VII. By your side [onesided Woogyu/Myunggyu/angst]

 


Woohyun starts working at a new hospital.
When his superior shows him the ward for coma patients he meets Sunggyu
who comes every day to visit a patient. He can’t stop thinking about the older man
and although he knows that it is wrong, Woohyun gets involved too much.





“Welcome in our hospital, Woohyun-sshi.” His new boss said.

Woohyun gave him a bright smile and bowed deeply. “It’s an honor for me to be here. Your hospital is quite famous.”

Lee Jungyeop was known as a strict but warm-hearted man who had managed to make a small unknown hospital in the darkest corner of Seoul into a world-wide known one. People paid a lot of money to get treated here. Only the best doctors were allowed to work at the hospital. Every single doctor was an expert on his field. Woohyun was still young but he had built himself a good reputation as a surgeon. Only once had a patient’s life slipped through his hands. Of course he would never forget that one life but after the incident he only worked harder to make up for his mistake. Woohyun was known for his stubbornness.

He would never give up on a patient.

“No, it’s an honor for our hospital that you've accepted my offer. I will call Jaejoong-sshi, he will give you a tour around the hospital. He’s the head of your department. “

Woohyun couldn’t hide a smile. He had heard about the older surgeon already and he hoped to learn a lot from him. His boss dialed a number and a few minutes later someone ripped the door open and stomped inside. The brown-haired man seemed furious and without sparing Woohyun a glance he headed straight for his boss.

“I am busy! The last time I checked my contract told me I should be working my off. Why did you call me? This better be damn important!” Jaejoong raised his voice.

He couldn’t believe the head surgeon was behaving like that in front of their boss. Not to mention his ability to scream made Woohyun flinch. Scary dude.

Mr. Lee simply smiled. “Your new surgeon has arrived. I only called you to fetch him.”

What am I? A package? Jaejoong turned around gave him a judging glance before he looked at the older man again. “Don’t make it sound like it’s something I've ordered, especially when I know that you wanted to get me a surgeon and that guy looks more like a host.”

Woohyun puffed his cheeks. I’m not a host! How rude! He couldn’t deny that he was good-looking of course. Maybe he shouldn’t have used make-up before coming here. There was no need to look good at a hospital.

“Now, now, Jaejoong. This is Nam Woohyun.”

He hurried to put on a smile when the head surgeon turned to him again. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Doctor Kim. I worked at-“

“I don’t care, boy. It doesn’t matter how famous you may be or at what incredible place you may have worked before. Now that you’re here you start as a blank page and if I don’t like you I will rip you apart and throw you in the trash can. I don’t look at credentials. I look at people.” Jaejoong said and Woohyun tried to suppress his anger.

“Then you should look at me properly first, Jaejoong-sshi. I’m not a host but a surgeon and I just wanted to introduce myself like a normal person.”

“I AM looking properly at you. You’re wearing make-up. What do you think this is? The runaway?”

Mr. Lee stood up from his chair and clapped his hands. “Why don’t you start the tour now, Jaejoong-sshi? You said that you’re busy, so you should make better use of your break time and show Woohyun-sshi around or I may have to cut your vacation next month.”

“My break time? I have to use my break time to show this incompetent fool around?”

Woohyun snapped. “Can you stop judging me like that? We don’t even know each other!”

“You’re going to be great friends.” Their boss suddenly said and they stared at him in disbelief. “Now leave you two or I will get a pair of handcuffs to chain you two together for the rest of the day.”

 

 


The ‘tour’ felt like torture. Jaejoong was obviously not interested in saying anything more than necessary. Whenever Woohyun raised a question he chose to ignore it. The explanations to every department or their architectural structure were short. It was like taking a walk with a robot. A really rude and cold robot. The only reason Woohyun didn’t go mad were the other doctors and nurses that they met on their way. For example Sungjong who was working as a nurse in the children’s ward or Dongwoo who worked as a gynecologist. The older man had a resemblance to a dinosaur and liked to joke around a lot – to his surprise he was able to make Jaejoong laugh.

Woohyun decided that Dongwoo must be a magician.

They entered another ward. The corridors were silent here. The eerie silence made Woohyun shudder. It felt like death was already hanging in the air. There was no laughter to be heard, no voices were talking. He immediately knew where they were. “This is the ward for patients in coma, a special facility. The nurses take care of the patients and we have two doctors assigned to the ward. If you have any questions regarding this place you can ask Lee Howon. He’s the one in charge here.”

They continued to walk down the corridor. Woohyun glanced through the little windows in the doors from time to time, but most rooms were empty except for the seemingly dead patients in the beds. His eyes caught something red and Woohyun stopped walking. He stepped closer to the door and peeked inside the room. The red was from the hair of a visitor who sat in front of a bed. He could only see his back but it looked so lonely. Woohyun could only imagine the pain he must be going through. He wondered if that person was visiting his family. He glanced at the bed. The surgeon couldn’t make out his face but the patient seemed to be male. Maybe his brother? He checked the name on the plate. Kim Myungsoo.

“Woohyun-sshi, what are you doing?” Jaejoong called him.

Just when Woohyun was about to turn away the redhead turned his head and their eyes met for a second. He felt his heart skip a beat at the sight of the other man. He looked beautiful, but he could see dried tears on his cheeks and the look in his eyes broke Woohyun’s heart.

“We don’t have all day. Move it! It’s rude to stare at them.”

 

 


It was Woohyun’s second day at the hospital. To his dismay he had to stick to Jaejoong like glue. He was not even allowed to touch anything because the older doctor wasn’t sure if Woohyun could even hold a pen properly. He was sick and tired of Jaejoon’s attitude but since he was his superior Woohyun could only do as he was told.

Lunch break felt like a liberation. The head surgeon dropped him off at the cafeteria without a word before he walked away. Woohyun snorted. “Stupid ! I will get him to accept me!”

“Wow, Woohyun-hyung, did you just call the devil himself an ?” A voice asked and he turned around to find Sungjong in front of him.

The younger nurse smiled and Woohyun scoffed. “So what, are you going to tell him that?”

Sungjong shrugged. “I’ll keep my mouth shut if you buy me a meal, hyung.”

 



They were in the middle of eating already when Dongwoo sat down at their table with a gummy smile. “Yo! Everything fine on your end, Woohyun?”

Another person sat down as well before Woohyun could answer. He looked like a nurse and his smile was comparable to Dongwoo’s. “Hey, guys. Who’s the new face?”

Sungjong sighed. “Woohyun-hyung, this is Sungyeol-hyung. Sitting at a table with these two usually makes it impossible to have a moment of peace.”

The energetic young nurse shook his hand. “Nice to meet you. Can I call you hyung, too? I think you’re older than me. I’m working as a nurse at the long term care facility, you know that the ward for coma patients that we have. We are the only hospital in South Korea that has a in-house facility like that. Maybe you’ve been there already.”

Woohyun blinked at the massive intake of words but his last sentence reminded him of the short meeting with the red-haired man. “So you’re working for Doctor Lee Howon?”

Suddenly Dongwoo’s pager rang and he jumped from his seat after looking at it. He grinned. “I have to go guys, see you later!”

Sungjong chuckled. “When you speak of the devil. I bet that was Hoya-hyung.”

Sungyeol laughed as well. “Hoya has him on a leash!”

Woohyun stared at them. He had no idea who Hoya was but a faint idea what they meant by their words. Sungyeol looked at him. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to ignore you. Hoya is my boss or you probably know him as Howon. Dongwoo and he are a couple. They think no one knows but seriously it so obvious! I even saw them making out on Hoya’s desk once.”

He nearly choked on the food in his mouth. Woohyun took a sip from his glass of water. He had nothing against homoual relationships – heck, the surgeon was gay himself – but talking about intimate things like that made him flustered.

Woohyun knew he had to change the topic. “How is it like? Taking care of the coma patients I mean. It must be hard.”

The choding smiled. “I like it actually. They just listen to everything I say and it’s heartwarming to watch their families. Sometimes it’s sad of course but every time someone wakes up it’s like the world suddenly lights up. I had a friend who was hospitalized after an accident in my childhood. He fell into coma and everyone was shaken by it. But when he woke up after three months it was the most beautiful moment. That’s when I decided I want to help people like him. I wanted to be someone who creates miracles like that.”

“Sometimes he can be pretty deep if he wants to be.” Sungjong said with a grin.

“Shut up!” Sungyeol ruffled the younger male’s hair. “It was the touching story of my childhood! You should cry!”

Woohyun smiled. “Do you know a red-haired man? I saw him in the ward last time.”

The smiled vanished from Sungyeol’s lips. He frowned. “He’s just one of the visitors.”

That was all he said before standing up and leaving the table. Woohyun glanced at the other nurse next to him. Sungjong averted his gaze. “You shouldn’t ask about him, hyung. You should focus on your patients instead or Jaejoong-hyung will get mad.”

And with that the whole topic about the redhead became a taboo.

 

 


Woohyun tried to forget about the red-haired visitor. He threw himself into the desk work that Jaejoong had assigned to him. He was still not allowed to enter an operation room. But between all he curses at the head surgeon his thoughts always found their way back to the stranger. Woohyun didn’t know why he was so curious about the other. It was not right. He was in the hospital to work and not to look for a relationship, especially with someone who probably had other problems right now.

In his second week at the hospital he found himself at the long term care facility again in his lunch break. Woohyun stopped in front of the room that he remembered and glanced inside. He smiled slightly when he saw the red-haired man at the bed. The surgeon thought about going inside but what would he do in there? They didn’t know each other and the stranger probably wanted to be alone.

Woohyun turned away from the door and walked down the corridor. I wonder why

Please log in to read the full chapter