XIX. Close Your Eyes

♬ ♪ My boredom is infinite
Please log in to read the full chapter

Here I am again with another one-shot :) it's a prompt that was requested a longer time ago and I actually had an idea to work on, so yeah, here it is! I don't know when I will update Facade - busy busy TTTTT - but I will try to do it soon, k?
Just take this meanwhile and leave me comments like always hurhur <3

PS: So much happening with Infinite right now. Poor Woohyun and suddenly stripping Sunggyu lol. /dies and goes to woogyu heaven/

Got a prompt or anything else to ask?

http://ask.fm/negiramen or @ramengyu :3

 

TRIGGER WARNING! Mentions of attempted suicide.
 

 

XIX. Close Your Eyes [Woogyu/Fluff - blind!Woohyun]

prompt requested on Twitter by @LyanaGyu:

@ramengyu can you write something like woohyun is blind and every morning he has to cross the road to get to the cafe he work.
@ramengyu and it was sunggyu who helped him every morning. but woohyun never knew him but only his hand.

Probably not what you expected, but hey, surprise!
A lot can happen with just blind!Woohyun to work with!

 

Woohyun has always been blind, for as long as he can remember. His parents, especially his mother, had not taken the news of his blindness well back then. His parents tried to give him a childhood that was similar to that of a normal child nevertheless. They taught him to see things with his other senses: touch, taste and hearing. His bright personality combined with the ‘training’ from his parents, allowed him to have a normal childhood. He grew up with the other children in the neighborhood, without being isolated.

In school, he was an average student. Woohyun was by no means a dumb kid, but he preferred to spend his time playing instead of studying. He listened to a lot of audiobooks and music in his free time, drowning himself in the different sounds. Following the narrator’s voice into a different world or just making up stories or whole worlds to simply music. Sound was always the closest thing to seeing for him. Woohyun didn’t mind if he could not see, as long as he had his CDs. He could become a hero in his own little world with just the strike of a guitar chord.

 

Now, at the age of 24, Woohyun is not a hero. He probably will never be. The blind man has a simple life. He has his own apartment. His parents had offered to move to Seoul to him, but Woohyun rejected their offer. He wants to make this work with his own power. His place is not far away from his workplace - actually, it’s right on the other side of the street. It’s not a special job. He owns a little café that he opened together with his old classmate Sungyeol. He is a bright and cheerful fellow that has never treated Woohyun different because of his disability. He’s a friend that Woohyun can trust blindly – ironic because he really is blind.

Their little café is very popular with the residents in the area. Sungyeol bakes the sweets they sell and Woohyun takes care of the drinks. It took him a while to get things right, but since his parents always taught him to do things – like pouring himself a glass of milk – by himself, Woohyun is able to do a lot of stuff alone. He can count money very fast with his sense of touch, easily finding out what size the coin or the paper is and which weight is which sum.

Although the café is right on the other side of the street, Woohyun has to make a big detour to reach his goal. The next traffic light is at the other end of the street. He does not know who constructed it like this, but it was probably not someone who thought a lot about blind people. Woohyun can’t just charge over the street when no car is coming to be faster. But then one day, Woohyun tries it out.



He is late for his shift at the café and Woohyun doesn’t want to spend even more time on taking the detour to the next traffic light. So he decides to just take his luck and run to the other side. It can’t be so complicated. It is just a street! Woohyun listens for a moment. He can hear a car, but it seems far away still. He takes a deep breath and then makes an attempt to run to the other side. He doesn’t count with running into someone halfway though. The other person makes him drop the bag he was carrying and shouts at him.

“Yah! Are you blind? Watch where you are going!” A female voice scolds him and then she takes off again, her high heels clicking with every step.

Woohyun crouches down to pick his bag up without paying attention to his surroundings. He notices the sound of the car engine too late, but then someone suddenly grabs his upper arm and pulls on it. Woohyun gasps and falls into the stranger’s arms. He feels the wind brushing through his hair as the car speeds by. “That was close.”

It is not the woman from before. He can tell it is a man by the hand on his arm. The chest he is leaning against is firm and flat too. Woohyun feels his cheeks heat up. “T-Thank you…I didn’t see her.”

“And neither the car, I know. You’re the blind worker at the café here, right?” The warm voice speaks - the tone low but soothing. It’s not a voice he has heard before. The stranger leads him somewhere, probably off the dangerous street.

He looks at the direction where the stranger’s face should be. Woohyun is not very fond of being called ‘the blind worker’. “I have a name you know.”

The man sighs. “I know. I-I should probably go. You’re okay from here on, right? We are on the other side of the street already. The shop is right behind you.”

Before he can say anything, the warmth around him disappears and the stranger runs away. He can’t see it, but it certainly sounds more like running than normal walking. Woohyun frowns. What a weird guy…how did he know me? Is he a customer? But I’m sure I haven’t heard his voice before…

“Oh my god, Woohyun! Are you okay?” Woohyun turns his head around, recognizing the worried voice of his friend.

“I’m okay, Sungyeol.” He tries to calm the other.

Sungyeol searches his body for injuries nevertheless. “Why did you run over the street like that? I saw it from the counter, but I was not fast enough to step out and save you. Then this guy suddenly appeared like Superman and swiped you off your feet, saving you last minute. It was like a scene from an action movie!”

“Glad you found my near-death-experience exciting, Yeol.” His friend smacks his head and Woohyun yelps.

“Sorry, it was not exciting, okay? Don’t do that again.”

Woohyun smiles weakly and gives him a nod. “I think I learned my lesson. But Sungyeol,  did you recognize the guy?”

Sungyeol hums. “Hmm…I only saw him from behind, but he didn’t seem familiar. Why are you asking? Did you fall for your savior?”

The younger man elbows him and Woohyun gives him a light shove as his cheeks heat up. “No! I just thought I should thank him properly. And he knew I was blind, so I thought he comes here often.”

“Maybe your mysterious savior will appear again. Come on, let’s get to work before the boss gets angry.”

“I am the boss.” And Sungyeol only laughs at that.



Woohyun thinks about the stranger the whole day. He can’t forget his strong hands on his arm or the tender tone of his voice. His mind makes up images of what the stranger probably looks like, but Woohyun is not satisfied with any of them. He wonders how tall he is, if he is older or younger, what is his job, what color are his eyes…

Before he knows it, his workday is over and even in his dreams he thinks of his ‘savior’ – as Sungyeol calls him. His friend says that he has fallen in love at first sight, but how can a blind person even do that? Woohyun sighs and hugs his pillow harder, his heart racing inside his chest as he remembers what happened hours ago.

Will I see him again?



It doesn’t take long for them to meet again and it happens so fast that Woohyun doesn’t know if he should be happy or freaked out. They meet again on the next day.

He just walks out of his building like always, ready to take his detour to work when a familiar voice makes him stop in his tracks.

“H-Hey.”

The blind man takes a step back out of reflex. Before he can think of anything to say, the stranger speaks again. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to scare you!”

Woohyun looks in his direction, still a bit on guard. “It’s okay. I was just surprised.”

“I was worried you might try to walk over the street again…” He sounds genuinely worried and Woohyun feels his heart flutter in his chest.

He grabs his stick harder as he tries to fight the nervousness. “I’m not stupid. I won’t do it again.”

The stranger laughs shortly – warm and melodic. “I didn’t say you were. I guess I should leave again then. Sorry for…creeping you out.”

Woohyun reaches out blindly with his hand and manages to grab the sleeve of his jacket. “W-Wait. I wanted to thank you properly, for yesterday I mean.”

“You thanked me already. It’s fine, really. No need to give me anything.” The stranger replies.

He bites his lower lip shortly. “Please, I want to thank you somehow. Just tell me what you want.”

Woohyun doesn’t know why he insists like that, maybe because he does not want to lose the stranger again. Something about him attracts the blind man. It’s more than just the fact that he saved his life. There is something in his voice, in his demeanor, that intrigues Woohyun. He wants to know more about his savior.

He hesitates for a moment and Woohyun gets wary. “Well, I…can I help you over the street every day?”

Woohyun is certainly surprised by that request. He expected something like a cup of coffee or a voucher or something. The stranger seems to notice his obvious confusion. “I just thought that would save you the detour to the next traffic light. I’m sorry…that’s creepy, right? Why did I ask that ha...ha…”

Now he’s even more confused. How does the stranger know his usual walking route? It certainly is a bit creepy, but somehow Woohyun finds it more flattering than anything else. His heart is beating fast in his chest, but not out of fear. He’s just asking to him over to the other side – can’t be that dangerous, right? Woohyun his lips nervously. The stranger tries to pull out of his grip, but the blind man doesn’t let go.

“Wait.” He stops the other man. “Let’s do it.”

“Eh?”

“I’ll let you me for one week - on one condition.”

“W-What is it?”

“Tell me your name and age.”

The stranger laughs once more and then a hand comes to rest on top of his. “You can call me hyung.”

That’s all he gets as information before the other man takes his hand and escorts him over to the other side. Woohyun follows after him anxiously, but nothing happens and in the blink of an eye, they are already over the street. The stranger lets go of his hand again.

“Thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow, Woohyun.” He speaks cheerfully.

And then he disappears like the wind again, too fast for Woohyun to stop him. He gets left behind, his right hand still tingling from the touch of the stranger’s warm hand. He didn’t tell me his name. Why does he always run away like that?

He tells Sungyeol about his second meeting with ‘the savior’ and his friend listens in awe. “Man, he’s either a creepy stalker that wants to sell your organs somewhere or he is a not-so-creepy stalker with a huge crush on you. Either way, he’s a stalker. A very handsome one.”

His friend giggles and Woohyun is tempted to throw the cup of hot coffee in his hands into Sungyeol’s face. “Have you seen him before?”

He is curious and wants to ask what the stranger looks like, but he doesn’t want to give Sungyeol the satisfaction of asking. “No. I wouldn’t forget such a face. Aren’t you curious, Woohyun? Should I tell you~?”

Don’t throw the coffee at him. Don’t throw the coffee… “No! I don’t care! I’m just paying him back for saving my life!”

Sungyeol giggles again. “Keep telling yourself that. Your face was as red as a tomato when you entered the café.”

“It wasn’t!”

“It was!”

“It was not!”

“It was!”

“I’m sorry, my coffee-“

Woohyun gasps and quickly hands the customer his coffee that he has been holding for a while now. “I’m sorry. Have a nice day.”

Sungyeol elbows him once the customer is gone. “Blind people are allowed to fall in love too. Live a little.”

He groans. “Aren’t you worried? What if he’s the crazy kind of stalker?”

“Seeing as he blushes as much as you – I doubt that.” And with that piece of information, Sungyeol leaves him alone again to serve the customers.

Woohyun spends his whole day thinking about the stranger again. Tomorrow he will get his name.



He does not get his name. Not the next day and not the one after it. Though he does learn some things about the stranger during their short walks to the other side:

1. He must be a stalker; he knows when Woohyun’s shift starts and is always there when the blind man steps out of his house. Woohyun suspects that he lives in the same house and sees him leaving. So one day, he goes out extra early to check his theory, but the stranger is not there – he arrives on time half an hour later, constantly apologizing about being late - when he is clearly not -, but it’s amusing and strange and somehow nice.

2. He is a fast runner; he manages to get away every time after they are on the other side and Woohyun really wonders what the hell he is fleeing from – he asked the stranger once and got not answer; asked twice and was still ignored. Maybe he’s afraid of Sungyeol?

3. He is not afraid of Sungyeol; Woohyun’s best friend is in front of the café to meet them on one day and actually manages to have a short conversation with the stranger (Hey – Hello – I’m Sungyeol – I know) before he flees.

4. He is good at avoiding a question; maybe he is a master conman, because he always finds a way not to tell Woohyun anything personal about himself, but instead Woohyun keeps spilling information to him. The walk to the other side is short, which barely leaves room to talk and somehow Woohyun always ends up filling the silence between them. There has probably never been a stalker victim more eager to share information.

5. He is afraid of dogs; one day a woman with a dog walks past them on the sidewalk and the man actually clings to Woohyun – what is a blind man supposed to do? (I thought you are protecting me and not the other way around – You didn’t see the dog. It was at least 5 feet tall – Idiot)

6. He is either the slowest stalker on Earth or just a guy with a huge crush on him; when is he finally going to ask him out on a date? Woohyun already has his answer ready. (Yes)

7. He’s a really bad stalker; one morning he is not there to fetch Woohyun and only appears again on the next day, apologizing about a hundred times (I had a sudden appointment. I didn’t have your number to call you); which stalker doesn’t know the phone number of his victim? Woohyun gives it to him – he doesn’t get the stranger’s number.

8. He is the biggest secret known to mankind Woohyun; a week has passed already – the deadline was extended without the exchange of words – but he knows almost nothing about him. With the speed they are moving in, they are not going to date by the time the next millennium arrives – quote fro

Please log in to read the full chapter