XVII. Pull My Strings

♬ ♪ My boredom is infinite
Please log in to read the full chapter

And another Collection update /can hear the uproar from the HV fan section/. I still have one more exam to go and I promise the next update you will get from me is HV :3 (I didn't want to update because the next chap will most probably end in a cliffhanger and I didn't want to keep you hanging on the cliff for so long TT)
So this is another request I got on Twitter :3 I know some of you didn't like the Darkness ending, maybe I was less predictable here though it's FwP (fluffy without plot haha) with a bit of teasing.
Have fun reading and leave me a comment with whatever is on your mind. I'm open to hear what you might want me to write too. I know Myunggyu is wanted, so I'll take whatever Myunggyu prompt I get or create myself and do it next!
 

 

Pull My Strings [2Woogyu/OT3/high school band AU]

for onlyforone :3 she asked for donggyu!band au, but it turned into OT3!band au.
I like the hyungline together and..well..no spoilers!
 

dongwoo is the bassist in a band, Sunggyu is a fan.
They suddenly need a new vocalist – enter Sunggyu joining the band.
Cue Woohyun who also wants the position.

 

 


Sunggyu is a diligent student, though his grades are never better than average. He always does his homework and finishes his duties whenever it’s his turn to clean the classroom or water the plants. He just doesn’t excel much when it comes to the real deal – tests and exams. He is the type to get sick the day before because he constantly worries about what questions might be asked and what if he fails the test and so on. He never fails, but Sunggyu still worries every time. Maybe the worrying actually makes him pass because it keeps him from doing more interesting things.

He likes music a lot, hence he usually spends his time just lying on the bed and listening to songs or singing along. Sunggyu is pretty good at singing and he has tried singing in a band before, but it ended up in an utter failure because he threw up on stage during their first gig – which wasn’t accepted well by the crowd. Ever since that incident, he has dropped the idea of a possible career as a vocalist. Sunggyu is not the shy or timid type, but he certainly did not like being laughed at. He has tried everything to cure himself of the nervousness before exams or other important events, but nothing has worked.

Maybe he got cursed in his previous life.

But the point of this useless introduction is wasting space that Sunggyu might just have a crush on his school band. Well, not really the band as a whole – that would be awkward – but rather the bassist they have. If given the chance, Sunggyu can easily list up to 50 reasons why you have to love Jang Dongwoo (and another 50 if you are not convinced by then). One could say Sunggyu has a slight obsession over the bassist. He never misses even one performance and though he can easily say how many times Dongwoo has his lips at the previous gig, Sunggyu wouldn’t be able to tell you if the vocalist is male or female. He only has eyes for the wild hair, the sweaty face, the fierce eyes and the long, strong fingers strumming the strings (not to mention the flexing muscles on his arms). Sunggyu can feel every note Dongwoo hits vibrating throughout his whole body, making his heart race and his soul tremble.

The other guys in the band are pretty good too of course, but there is something about Dongwoo that has Sunggyu totally hypnotized. Maybe it is the way he can be an absolute god on stage with a teasing smirk and the eyes of a predator, but once the music is off the bassist will turn into a total dork. He will smile like an angel and play with his friends while laughing loudly. Dongwoo is an energetic and friendly person. He doesn’t judge and is basically friends with the whole school population – anyone but Sunggyu to be correct.

Why are they not friends despite Sunggyu having a pretty obvious crush?

Remember Sunggyu throwing up on stage once? He knows for a fact that Dongwoo has seen that and now he can’t bear to approach the bassist. He is afraid Dongwoo might still remember the incident and look at him weirdly – or even laugh at him.

So instead of becoming friends with Dongwoo, he hangs out with his own friends. They play football together or go to a karaoke bar and other stuff boys his age like to do. The only time he comes in contact with the bassist is when the school band has a gig or when he watches Dongwoo in the corridor or the cafeteria – he is not stalking him - it’s pure coincidence since the lockers of 2nd and 3rd years are close to each other.


But his peace gets disturbed one day by a little note on the school noticeboard. Sunggyu stares at the colorful piece of paper – clumsy handwriting with a green dinosaur and a rather weird-looking microphone next to it. It looks like a preschooler has drawn it.

 

 

“Why pink?” A voice asks next to him and Sunggyu glances at his best friend Howon. “That’s so gay.”

He rolls his eyes. “Says the guy who likes purple.”

“At least I don’t draw hearts on messages. Does he think anyone will come with such a weird advertisement? You can barely read it.”

Sunggyu gives his best friend a glare. “Shut up, Lee Howon! He put a lot of love into this! I won’t let you talk bad about Dongwoo’s hard work!”

His best friend chuckles and backs off. “Calm down, hyung! God, you really can’t take a joke when it comes to that guy. If only you would use all that energy to confess to him. ‘OH DONGWOO! I’VE BEEN WANTING TO FU-“

He throws his bag into Howon’s face to shut him up. Sunggyu narrows his eyes at the younger guy. “Say one more word and I will tell Sungjong how you’ve abused his teddy bear to satisfy your dirty needs.”

Howon pushes his bag away and grunts. “Fine! Just stay a damn !”

His friend takes off and Sunggyu snorts. There’s really nothing to confess anyway. He might have a slight obsession with Dongwoo, but Sunggyu isn’t sure if it is out of love or just because he admires his skills. At least he has never used a stuffed animal to e.

Sunggyu throws one last look at the announcement before he sighs and follows his friend to their classroom. A vocalist, huh? He has imagined him standing on the same stage with Dongwoo and sharing the passion of music with him several times, but when he thinks about really joining the band Sunggyu feels his stomach turn. Damn anxiousness! Why can’t I get rid of you?!




He decides to drop by the practice room next Tuesday. Sunggyu has no intention of actually joining the audition because it would mean facing Dongwoo and his shameful past, but he wants to check out how many people are applying for the position. With shock he has to realize that there is no line in front of the practice room. In fact the door is open but he can hear no one singing inside. He takes cover behind a trash bin to spy on the practice room. Maybe I’m too early.

“What? You here?!” A voice behind him explains.

Sunggyu is so shocked that he stands up from his crouched hiding position, but his head suddenly meets with something hard and sharp. Two groans resound and he turns around with a glare. “Nam Woohyun! Why did you stand right behind me?”

The younger boy gives him a huff. “I can stand wherever I want, Kim Possible!”

Nam Woohyun – his archenemy, the Hyde to his Jekyll, the Joker to his Batman, the Lex Luthor to his Superman, the Professor Moriarty to his Sherlock Holmes, the Scar to his Simba or in other words: his ex-boyfriend.

They were together in middle school, though they were as different as the sun and the moon (but even the sun and the moon have something in common). Their friendship and later relationship was a constant competition between the two. Woohyun was better than him at football, while Sunggyu could beat him at basketball anytime. Woohyun was better than him at cooking but lost when it came to baking. They were both good singers which had often led to hour-long battles in karaoke bars to find a winner (it always ended up in a draw). They competed about every little thing, even in their relationship – who could kiss better, who has the longer , who is more flexible and so on. They still did couple stuff like going on dates and giving each other presents, but Sunggyu can’t remember a day did not compete about anything. The clashing of their competitive spirits had led them to break up after a year. If you ask them if they miss each other, they would answer that they are very happy about the breakup, though both probably can’t help but miss the bickering a little.

Said archenemy is now standing right in front of him. They had avoided each other’s presence successfully for the whole school year – why did they have to meet now?

Woohyun glares at him. “Huh? You shouldn’t stand in my path then!”

“I was crouching behind a damn trash bin! How is that your path, dumb tree?!”

“You made it my path when you were crouching there!”

“You can just walk around me!”

“No!”

Sunggyu clicks his tongue and looks to the side. “I really don’t know how I managed to stand your idiotic personality for a year! Your brain is full of and you kiss like a preschooler!”

The smaller boy is obviously pissed off by his remark. “SAY THAT AGAIN, KIM! If anyone should say that, it would be me! I’ll make you take that back right now! I can make your knees go weak anytime!”

He pushes Woohyun hard when he steps closer. “Get away, Nam! And I’m your hyung so don’t talk informal to me!”

“I don’t see anyone who would deserve respect, pig-head!”

Seconds later they are in the middle of a small scuffle, pulling each other’s hair while rolling around on the floor. “I hate you, Nam!”

“I guess we have something in common then! I hate you even more!” Woohyun groans when Sunggyu pinches his cheeks.

“No! I hate you the most!”

“I hate you a thousand times more than you hate me!”

“I hate you a million times more!”

(No wonder they were called the ‘anything you can do, I can do better’ couple in middle school.)

“I hate you to infinity!”

Sunggyu puffs his cheeks. He is about to reply when a hand grabs his collar and pulls him away from his position on top of Woohyun. He lands with his on the ground and Sunggyu throws an irritated glare behind him, but all the words of anger die in his throat when he recognizes the other person. The boy hurries to turn his face away again. Why? Why?! Damn you, Nam Woohyun!

“D-Dongwoo-hyung.” Woohyun chokes out.

The older boy puts his hands on his waist and looks down at them with a smile. Sunggyu’s mind is filled with descriptive worlds like: angelic, mesmerizing, breathtaking and it-should-be-protected-by-the-law-ish. “You shouldn’t fight! This is supposed to be a singing competition not a material arts fight!”

Sunggyu sees Woohyun stand up with an almost innocent looking expression. “Hyung~ I’m sorry! I just wanted to pass through when this brute stopped me!”

Only acting cute when it’s convenient for you! Do you have no pride?

“What?!” He shouts out loud and stands up too. “You were the one looking for a fight!”

“Now, now, both of you please calm down!” Dongwoo puts one of his big arms around Sunggyu’s shoulder and the other one around Woohyun’s.

They both flinch at the touch and throw a glare at each other. Don’t tell me…you too, Woohyun? Dongwoo is mine! They get dragged towards the practice room without breaking the eye contact even once – silently sending death threats to the other.

Dongwoo let go of them when they were inside, but Sunggyu was quick to turn his head away again. Don’t look at me!

He heard Woohyun giggle. Giggle. “Dongwoo-hyung! Where are the other members? Did they make you do this all alone?”

Sunggyu glances at the older boy and sees a huge, innocent smile. “They were busy so I volunteered!”

Why do I feel like you’re getting used? “I thought no one would come but now there are two of you at once!”

“Two? I-I’m not really-“ He chokes out and Woohyun interrupts him.

“He’s not here to participate, right? Let’s not waste our time with him! I really admire you, Dongwoo-hyung! You are so good with your fingers!” The youngest coo

Please log in to read the full chapter