XV. Darkness [2/2]

♬ ♪ My boredom is infinite
Please log in to read the full chapter

So here is part two >w< it's almost midnight and I have my English exam in 10 hours haha ;_; wish me luck!
So that maybe you will appreciate this work more: The first part was 9 pages long, meanwhile this part is 17 pages long. SEVENTEEN. it took me days to write this because I have my exams going on as you know ;_;
But I really wanted to finish this one and get it out of my mind. I really had no idea how to end this, but I hope everyone will like it now!
It's your decision what you think at the end. If you hate Woohyun or not and so on. I told you this is angst and thriller :( so be prepared for both of it, but in the end I guess it turned out more "tame" than I wanted haha xD It was supposed to be even darker and angstier, but I love you guys too much i guess?

PLEASE GIVE ME COMMENTS ;_; I really need them to fuel my motivation!!

If you're curious what's next: Probably requests/prompts I got via twitter/ask.fm :) Or anything else that comes to my mind. Woogyu/Wookey for example...<___>
Hurhur, I love you guys <3
 

XV. DARKNESS
[2/2]
[woogyu!angst/thriller]

 

 

(Sunggyu)



When Sunggyu wakes up, his first thought is “mother”. He calls for her but she doesn’t answer. The only thing he can hear is the steady beep of a machine nearby. Sunggyu moves his hands carefully to inspect his surroundings. He’s lying on a bed and something seems to be attached to his right arm. His small fingers find something like a tube that leads from his arm to another object out of his reach. It feels uncomfortable and he wants to pull it out, but then he hears a door open.

“No, boy! Stop!” A woman shouts and a second later a hand grabs his tiny wrist. His fingers are pulled away from the foreign object in his arm and Sunggyu tries to wiggle out of her grip. “Stay still, kid! I don’t want to harm you. This tube is helping you to gain strength. Do you remember how you got here?”

Sunggyu freezes and despite his blindness blinks. A hazy memory of noises flashes through his mind. The rain, Woohyun’s mother talking to him and then the crash. He’s starting to tremble and the woman – a nurse? – tries to calm him down by rubbing his back softly. “Ssh, sweetie. You are safe.”

Sweetie. That word only reminds him of Woohyun’s mother. He turns his head around in a desperate try to find the nurse’s face. “Where is she?”

It’s quiet for a moment and Sunggyu presses his lips together tightly. Tears start to roll down his cheeks as the silence squeezes his little heart. The silence is choking him, burying him deeper in the darkness, twisting and deforming his mind. Something happened to her. Is she gone like mother? Mother…where are you? I need you…

The nurse starts rubbing his back again. “Don’t cry, boy. S-She’s fine. You should be a good boy and rest properly, okay? I’ll get a doctor so that he can check on you. Don’t pull out the tube, understood?”

Sunggyu shakes his head. “I feel fine! I don’t need that tube…I have to find my mother.”

He tries to get out of her grip again, but the nurse won’t let him take out that thing from his arm. She lets out a sigh and Sunggyu hears her move a bit. A moment later the door opens again.

“Mina, get the doctor please.” The woman said and then the door closed once more. “Why don’t you leave the task of finding your mother to us? What’s your name, boy?”

“Woohyun’s mother tried to find her and she couldn’t!” He shouts at her. Sunggyu is angry – with the nurse, with Woohyun’s mother, with himself. “I…I need to do it myself!”

For the third time Sunggyu hears the door open and this time a man’s voice reaches his ears. “Hold him still, Nurse Lee.”

He gets nervous as he hears several footsteps getting closer and the nurse pins him to the bed. Sunggyu cries out loudly. “Let me go! Please let me go!”

A stronger, bigger hand finds his arm and holds it still. “This will hurt for a second, Sunggyu, but it’s nothing dangerous. We’re just keeping you from hurting yourself, okay? Your mother wouldn’t want you to get hurt.”

Something soft and wet touches his skin. He’s afraid because he can’t see what they are doing. He hates himself for being so small, so weak – for being blind. A sting in his arm makes him scream, but the hands on his body keep him still. The sharp object leaves his arm again. “See? It’s already over. You’ll feel a bit sleepy now. It’s okay if you want so sleep.”

Sunggyu feels weaker than before. His limbs are heavy and numb. Although he wants to move them and run away, his body is not listening to him. He whimpers out of helplessness. “Mother…”

The hands leave him since he is calm now and someone cleans his tear-stained face. “You’re name is Kim Sunggyu, right? Your little friend told us.”

Friend…friend? Woohyun-ah? He nods slowly. “We want to help you find your mother. Where did you lose her?”

The little boy tells them everything he knows. He has no other choice at the moment. Sunggyu tells them everything until the moment the crash happened. “But Woohyun’s mother didn’t find her and she used magic. How can you find her?”

The doctor laughs slightly. “Woohyun’s mother was all alone. We have a lot of people. Don’t worry and rest for now, okay?”

Sunggyu nods weakly. He hears the doctor and the nurses leave the room. He doesn’t know if they forgot to close the door but he can hear them whisper faintly in the corridor.

“We looked through the backpack…there’s everything he needs inside - clothes, toothbrush, something to eat and…the note.”
“So she really dumped her own son in the park? To top it off he’s blind…”
“She couldn’t handle taking care of him anymore, but to just leave him…”
“No word to the boy, ladies. Get back to work and notify the police. They need to find his mother.”

He digs his small fingers into the blanket. Sunggyu cries silently as the endless darkness engulfs him again. The only sound he hears is the beeping of the machine. You are coming back for me, right? You didn’t dumb me. They are lying. The boy doesn’t bother to try and wipe his tears away. He is still feeling sleepy from whatever they had injected into his arm. He feels lonely and betrayed. Sunggyu wishes someone would be by his side, even if it isn’t his mother. He wishes Woohyun would be there to cheer him up again. What are you doing, Woohyun? Are you with your mother? You aren’t like me…right? You were not abandoned.

 

 

 

 

 

- 15 years later -

 

 

(Woohyun)

 

Woohyun has become a successful business man over the years. He is intelligent and handsome, making every woman swoon over him. He has had his fair share of one-night-stands but he has never had a steady relationship. Woohyun has no problems finding women attractive, but since his mother’s death he has developed a constant fear of losing someone close to him. That’s why he doesn’t let anyone close to begin with. He keeps his distance to all the women he dates. The only he was close to was his father, but he died one year ago because of a brain tumor. Now Woohyun is all alone, but he doesn’t mind. In fact, it is very convenient for him.

Over the years he has still not learned how to let go. Woohyun is still bitter about the loss of his mother as a child. He has never forgotten about Sunggyu, the blind child that had taken his beloved mother away from him. How could he forget him? He swore to himself that he would find the boy again when is older and Woohyun knows that this time is now. His father’s resolve had weakened with time, but Woohyun’s thoughts of revenge are still alive.

The past months, he spent quite a lot of time trying to find the trace of the blind boy. Woohyun found the orphanage they had sent Sunggyu to. Apparently no family had adopted the boy, which led him to stay in that place until his 18th birthday. After his birthday they kicked him out of the orphanage without hesitation. The man almost felt pity for the blind child, but then he remembered that Sunggyu didn’t deserve pity. He deserved to suffer.

It was hard to find the trace of the boy again after he had left the orphanage. The director of the place could only tell him that Sunggyu had wanted to go back to his hometown.


So here he is, Nam Woohyun, a famous business man, in the middle of Jeonju. He has no idea how to find Sunggyu with so many people living here, but compared to Seoul it seems like a village. It can’t be so hard to find a blind man here. Woohyun moves into an apartment close to the city center because his plan will probably take a while. Since he is his own boss, Woohyun doesn’t have to worry about his job. He doesn’t know if the object of his revenge is really living here, but Woohyun has a gut feeling that he is right about this town. When he is not working, the man walks around the city. He hopes that maybe he can find Sunggyu by coincidence.



Woohyun doesn’t believe in fate, but what else could it be that let him reunite with the blind boy from back then?



He meets Sunggyu again on a warm evening in summer. Woohyun is sitting in a bar and enjoying his drink. It’s his first time at a bar in Jeonju. He was depressed from his lack of success in finding the object of his revenge, so he went out for a drink. There’s a woman next to him who is trying to get his attention, but he only listens to her half-heartedly.  Woohyun is too absorbed in his own thoughts. Did he choose the wrong town? Is Sunggyu really not here?

A bell rings as the door to the bar opens, but Woohyun doesn’t turn his head to look at the newcomer. His ears barely register the quiet scratching that comes with a pair of feet. The owner of the bar turns around with a slight smile. “You are late. What happened?”

“Sorry, Dongwoo. The elevator got stuck.”

The barman smiles slightly. “Don’t apologize. I was just worried about you.”

“I’m fine. I’ll bring my things to the back and then start playing immediately.”

The stranger continues walking and passes by Woohyun, but the male is still staring at the bottom of his glass with the loud woman clinging to his arm. He sighs and pushes her away. Woohyun empties his glass with one gulp. “Another one.”

While the bartender gets his drink, the woman leans closer again, her lips brushing against his ear. “Why don’t you and I go somewhere after you have finished that drink? A man like you shouldn’t be alone at night.”

He turns his head to check her out. She is definitely a beauty, though her clothes make her look like a cheap . Woohyun slightly wonders how many men she has already slept with, but who is he to judge? A smirk appears on his face and he lets one of his hands fall on her exposed thighs. He lets his finger travel further up under her short skirt while staring her in the eyes. “I would be a fool to reject such an offer from a beautiful lady like you.”

A glass is put in front of him. “Your drink, sir. It might be rude of me to say this, but maybe you should stay a little longer if you enjoy good music. My friend is going to start playing the piano any minute. You would be a fool to miss it.”

Woohyun looks at him questioningly and the woman next to him giggles. “I’ve heard him play before. Made me wish he would use those slender fingers on me once. I can wait one song.”

He gives her a short glare and removes his hand. “Sure, why not.”

A door opens in his back and the scratching sound returns together with the soft footsteps. “Ah, Sunggyu! You want a drink before you start playing?”

Woohyun freezes on his stool. His hand grabs the glass with more force until his knuckles turn white. It can’t be. It’s not him.

“Just bring me a glass of water when you have time.” A soft voice replies and the stranger walks past him to the black piano in the corner of the bar.

Woohyun finally turns his head and looks at the figure. His breath hitches at the sight. His hair is bright red and he wears dark clothes, but what catches his eye are the sunglasses he is wearing and the long stick in his hand that wipes over the ground as he walks. The musician leans his stick against the piano and uses his fingers to find the little bench. It can’t be him. I was looking for him everywhere…why would he suddenly appear in front of me?

The owner behind the counter laughs at his expression. “Mesmerized, huh? Sunggyu has that kind of effect on people. Don’t let his blindness fool you. He is the best player I know.”

Woohyun blinks. He tries to calm his racing heart and stay composed, but it’s hard because the adrenaline running through his veins is making him tremble from excitement. He breaks out into a smile and looks at the bartender. “So his name is Sunggyu?”

“Kim Sunggyu.” The woman next to him whispers into his ear. “That’s his name.”

Woohyun wants to jump up and run over to the piano, where the red-haired man is starting to warm up his fingers. The sight of Sunggyu makes his insides burn and he wants nothing more than to execute his plan right here and now, but there are too many witnesses and Sunggyu needs to suffer first.

A soft tune fills the room. It’s soft like Sunggyu’s expression as he plays. There is a small smile on his lips and Woohyun wants to wipe it from his lips. You don’t deserve happiness after taking it from me. But he can’t help admiring the beautiful melody that the older man is playing. His fingers find the right keys with a precision that makes Woohyun speechless for a moment. There is no hesitation in Sunggyu’s movements despite his blindness. For a moment he asks himself the same thing as the woman next to him. What would those long, slender fingers feel like? They look soft like everything about the red-haired male. He quickly catches himself again. His thoughts change and twist and he starts thinking how Sunggyu would scream when he breaks them one by one, rendering him unable to play the piano again.

The first song passes like a dream and Woohyun gets snapped back to reality by a hand on his crotch. “Your pants seem a little tight. Should I be worried now? It seems like you like Sunggyu more than me.”

Woohyun grabs her wrist and pushes her hand away. He feels like slapping her for that comment. He doesn’t like that bastard that killed his mother! He loathes him. He glares at the woman. “Well, I bet he has no ually transmitted diseases unlike you.”

Her eyes widen and she stands up from her stool. “You are an . I should’ve known someone like you likes it up the !”

Woohyun stands up too and is about to slap her hard, but the bartender grabs his arm. “Hey, hey, calm down both of you. Maybe you should go home, Yuna. There is no reason to insult him for rejecting your offer.”

She huffs and leaves the bar without another word. Dongwoo lets go of him again and gives him a slight smile. “Don’t take her seriously. She is doing drugs, that’s why she has a short temper. It’s a good thing you didn’t take her offer. I’m not the type to badmouth, but she probably really has some kind of disease from all the people she has slept with.”

He only hums in return and looks back to Sunggyu. The red-haired man is starting to play another song now, something slower and sadder. Woohyun manages to rip his gaze away to look at the owner. “Then I guess I have to thank you twice.”

The bartender laughs. “What for?”

“For saving me from leaving with her and giving me the chance to hear this wonderful music. He’s really talented.”

Dongwoo’s smile widens and he nods. “Wait until you hear him sing. Ssh, he’s starting!”

Woohyun raises an eyebrow and turns his head just in time to see Sunggyu opening his lips for the first word.

I love you. I’m sorry
But I can’t do this anymore
I don’t even have the right
to get close to you
Don’t love me
I don’t have the ease of
being able to give you my heart
I live every day beyond my strength
Each day is too much so I cry


For the second time this evening he is speechless. He can’t comprehend how the murderer of his mother can have the voice of an angel. Woohyun feels tears welling up in his eyes as he listens to the redhead. The sad melody and the meaningful lyrics seem to go straight to his heart. It makes him forget about his revenge for a moment as he gets lost in the song. He wonders why Sunggyu is so sad. What broke his heart like that?

You can’t be sad. You can’t be hurt already! I haven’t done anything yet!

The spell breaks when the singer is done with his performance. Woohyun can see the bartender going over to give him a glass of water which Sunggyu accepts with a smile. The businessman uses the time to wipe the corner of his eyes dry. Dongwoo smiles at him when he is back.

“He’s the best, right?”

Woohyun puts on a fake smile. “Indeed, but why is he playing in this…bar? Sorry if the question offends you.”

“No, don’t worry. I’m asking myself the same every time he performs, but Sunggyu is blind. There is no agency in South Korea who would support a blind singer and…well, Sunggyu says he is fine with this. He doesn’t want to leave this town.” The owner tells him with a sad smile. “Ah, I’m Jang Dongwoo by the way. I’ve never seen you around here.”

“Nam Woohyun. I moved here a few weeks ago.” They shake hands and Woohyun spends the next 15 minutes talking with Dongwoo.

When Sunggyu is finally having his break, Woohyun has found out that Dongwoo is his hyung by a year and that he is originally from Gyeonggi, but he moved to Jeonju later to open his own bar. Woohyun told the bartender that he has moved here because of an order from his boss, which was half-true since he is his own boss. He glances over to Sunggyu as he hears the blind man getting closer and then he sits down next to Woohyun. His heart is beating fast against his chest. He can’t believe the object of his revenge is so close to him. Close enough to touch, to grab him and hit the glass against his head-

“-and Woohyun here likes your music very much!”

He snaps out of his thoughts and looks at Dongwoo. The bartender is smiling at him and Woohyun clears his throat. He looks over to Sunggyu – Sunggyu who is too close for his own good. From up close he can see all of his soft features better. His big but cute nose, the full cheeks and the thin neck that seems like it could break all too easily. Maybe there would’ve been a time when Woohyun had fallen in love with him, but the beauty of Sunggyu is tainted by his sins – tainted by the darkness.

“That’s true. You are fantastic.”

The redhead glances at him – it really feels like he is looking at him through the dark sunglasses – and the younger man shivers. For a moment he doubts if the other is really blind. Sunggyu smiles at him and Woohyun catches a light blush covering his cheeks. “Thank you. I’m not that good though.”

“You are! You should play on bigger stages. The people would love you.”

Sunggyu’s smile fades. “I’m fine with playing here. I know from experience that blind people are not really favored by the public. It’s nice of you to say it, but I think this is enough for someone like me.”

Dongwoo reaches out to smack Sunggyu’s head. “Don’t you start that ‘I don’t deserve to be loved’ crap again! Just because your mother was a dumb-“

“Don’t talk about my mother!” The red-haired man shouted.

Woohyun has to raise his hand a bit to hide the slight smile on his face. So he’s still not over being abandoned by his mother. I can use that. At least your mother is still alive, Kim Sunggyu. You took mine from me forever.

“I’m sorry, Gyu, but you know what I mean. There are more people like Woohyun out there who would like to hear more of your music.” Dongwoo apologizes, but Sunggyu only shakes his head and stands up again after emptying his glass.

“I’ll continue playing now and Dongwoo, if you want me to leave, you can just say so.”

The bartender sighs as he watches the retreating figure of the redhead. “Sorry that you had to witness this, Woohyun. He doesn’t like it when I mention his mother.”

He put on another fake smile, this time full of understanding. “It’s okay, hyung. But can I ask what happened? I know it’s not really my place to ask since we’ve barely known each other.”

Dongwoo sighs again. “You seem like a nice guy, Woohyun, so I will tell you. His mother left him in a park when he was 8 years old. They found a letter in his backpack, stating that she could no longer handle taking care of a blind child. I just can’t understand how she could do that…he’s her son, isn’t he? And somehow I don’t think Sunggyu was a very disobedient child. He’s more of a mama’s boy. I think he’s still punishing himself in a way because he thinks that he deserved to be abandoned.”

Woohyun is silent for a moment. A part of him is mad at the mother, but the even bigger part doesn’t care about Sunggyu’s sad fate. He wishes that his mother didn’t have to be the one suffering because of the decision Sunggyu’s mother made. If she hadn’t left the boy, Woohyun’s mother would probably still be alive.

He frowns. “That’s so cruel! How could she do that? But I can understand him. I lost my mother as a young child too and I’m still not over it.”

“I’m sorry for reminding you of her.”

“No, it’s okay. Thanks for telling me about Sunggyu-hyung.” Woohyun smiles – an all too honest smile. “I think we could be great friends.”

“Right? I think the same! He needs more friends you know? I’m sure you two would get along well!”

He looks back to the redhead at the piano with a smile. Now that I have you, I won’t let you out of my sight again. You are going to suffer what you’ve done to me. Let’s be friends, Sunggyu. “Of course, I feel like I’ve been looking for him for years. Tell me, Dongwoo, when does he get off from work?”



(Sunggyu)

Sunggyu drowns himself in the music, blocking out Dongwoo and everyone else. The soft sound of the piano helps him to forget the painful memories of the past and it’s the only thing that doesn’t make him feel like a useless blind person. He can proudly say that he taught himself the piano on his own. There is sheet music for blind people like him and his fingers became accustomed to the order of the keys after a while. Now his fingers can find the right key without fail and it makes Sunggyu feel like he can see. It’s still hard of course since he has to remember all the songs by heart. He can’t look at the sheet when he forgets how the next part starts. The endless memorizing of melodies though is what has kept him from going insane in the darkness.

It’s a lie when he says he doesn’t want to try bigger stages, that he is fine with his situation. Sunggyu hates to be alone in the darkness and that’s what he is most of the time, except for his work shifts at Dongwoo’s bar. He knows Dongwoo doesn’t really have the money to pay a pianist, but he still gave Sunggyu the job because they are friends. He’s the only person the redhead is close with and although he only has a vague idea of what the bartender looks like, Sunggyu knows that his heart is made of gold. He can never express in words how thankful he feels towards him – for giving him a job and for being a friend when he needs one. But when he is at home, the darkness consume him, turns him inside-out and Sunggyu feels like a helpless child again, just sitting on the couch and humming his mother’s song.

He still misses his mother and there is still that little hope in his heart that she might return. The redhead can’t leave his old home, this town – his mother. He wants to tell her that he is not mad at her. Tell her that he could never hate her. Sunggyu never once thought it was unfair that she has abandoned him. He knew he deserved it. She must have had her reasons. But Sunggyu really wants her to return, so he can show her what became of him. He can play the piano like no other despite being blind and he has never stopped trying to look at people when they speak. He’s become better at analyzing his surroundings. Sunggyu is confident in his ability to look at someone when they speak or even reading the tone of someone’s voice. Are you watching me, mother?



Sunggyu finishes his shift without another break. He doesn’t want to get into another discussion with Dongwoo about his mother or how he should find a better place. He wonders if Woohyun is still sitting at the counter. Woohyun. That name is familiar to him. It brings memories with it, but he doubts that the man is the little boy from back then. They just met once after all. What were the chances of meeting him again? And the man hadn’t given him any sign of recognizing him. But there was a strange connection he felt to the stranger – a feeling he couldn’t put his fingers on.

He grabs his stick that was leaning against the piano and

Please log in to read the full chapter