XVIII. Sacrificial Hamster [2/2]

♬ ♪ My boredom is infinite
Please log in to read the full chapter

You are all eager to read, so I won't hold you up for long :3 thanks for the amout of comments (keep it up, juseyo~) This is the slightly longer part and the last, while you read you will notice that I could've cut part 1 off at worse spots XD but I wanted it to be 50:50. So yeah, have fun with the last part <3

Should I add a slight warning? It's not real here, I was too lazy and this was long enough, but there's a mention /cough/
- ramen
 

 

~ part 2 ~

 

A priestess finds Sunggyu hiding in one of the trees when it’s time for dinner. He doesn’t ask how she found him and she doesn’t say anything else either. Just that it is time to eat and that Chorong has ordered her to get him. She doesn’t introduce herself and all the way, Sunggyu feels like she is glaring at him, although he never looks back. He wonders if they even have to eat. Sunggyu sure as hell is hungry, but as he now knows he is still very much alive. But the other people seem to have the need to eat too.

They all sit in a huge hall and Sunggyu is surprised by how many white robes he can count. So many people that died to come here – for whatever reason, but they came here because they chose to. He feels heavy gazes on him as soon as he enters the hall. Sunggyu can see some of the girls whispering and/or staring at him. His guide leaves him alone without another word. The young man looks around for help, but no one is moving to stand up and explain to him. Sunggyu looks around and finally spots the corner where food is given out. He walks over to get his share. It’s a bowl of soup. Although he doesn’t know what’s inside, it smells pretty good, so it can’t be that bad. He looks around for a free seat and finds one at a table full of women.

As soon as he gets close though, they all stand up and walk away without even glancing at him. Sunggyu blinks and stares at them as they sit down somewhere else. He lets out a huff and sits down at the now empty table. Maybe they are afraid of men. Sunggyu feels more stares on him now, but he tries to ignore them and concentrates on eating instead. Halfway through someone sits down at his table and he looks up in surprise. The girl looks younger than him and the older women all seem to shift their glares to her now.

She gives him a smile. “Don’t mind them. They are just jealous – or afraid. I’m Eunji.”

“Sunggyu.” He replies with a short smile. “Jealous because I’m alive and afraid because I’m male?”

Eunji shakes her head. “Jealous because it was Woohyun who saved you. You probably don’t know how risky it is what he has done. He broke a rule by saving your life and many are afraid what will happen to this place now.”

He stares at her. The knowledge that Woohyun may have done something bad for him makes him kind of anxious. “What kind of rule? Why is it bad?”

“It’s forbidden to bring living humans into the realm of the gods. I don’t know why, but it’s a rule that every god has to follow. And just like in the human world, it doesn’t go unpunished when you break the rules. Woohyun could lose everything, his status as a god, this land and we…we would die - for real this time.”

“B-But why risk it…for me?” Sunggyu asks in confusion.

Eunji gives him a sad smile. “Indeed, that is the question. Not to mention that the rumor is going around, that you didn’t even want to come here.”

And he suddenly understands why everyone is avoiding him, why they are staring or glaring at him. Woohyun has put all of their lives at stake, for a human that no one knows, a guy that didn’t offer himself for a reason. They are afraid of losing their home because of someone who doesn’t even care. “I’m sorry.”

“So it’s true, huh. You didn’t come here willingly.”

He nods slowly. “I- The villagers got me drunk, because it was my birthday. When I couldn’t tell left from right anymore, they brought me to the lake and yeah…”

“Why you though? Your village must have had a girl or two.”

Sunggyu snorts. “No more s apparently.”

Eunji laughs all of a sudden. “That means you are a ?”

He blushes. “What’s so funny about that? All of you are s!”

“Not anymore.” She winks at him playfully. “Though I wouldn’t have minded losing my ity to you.”

Sunggyu clears his throat and looks back to the content of his bowl. “So Woohyun slept with all of you? What is this – his harem?”

Another laugh. “Holy Spirits, no! Woohyun hasn’t slept with any of us, except for maybe Chorong. We are like his little sisters to him, that’s what he always says. Sometimes we get to meet with the servants of the other gods and well, things happen.”

He feels relieved at the news that Woohyun isn’t sleeping with all the girls that live here, though Sunggyu doesn’t know why he feels that way. He hates that bloke! It’s all Woohyun’s fault that sacrifices even have to be made. Without this crap, Sunggyu wouldn’t be here and no one else either.

“What does he even need so many servants for? Does it feed his ego to have so many girls around?”

Eunji smiles at him. “Well, living here is pretty boring when you are all alone. But I think nowadays he’s actually annoyed that the village keeps on sending him sacrifices whenever something bad happens. Sometimes he just slips on a piece of soap and hits his head, which results in rain and hail for days. The villagers panic and swoosh! The next sacrifice is here.”

“Isn’t that stupid for you too? When you come here for nothing?”

She shrugs. “It’s not for nothing. We didn’t come out of fear. We came because we wanted to go. It’s beautiful here and the people are nice. There are no sicknesses, we don’t age – it’s nice.”

He hums quietly. What about him though? Won’t he age because he is still alive? Sunggyu finishes the rest of his soup with worries weighting heavy on his shoulders. Eunji eventually shows him back to his quarters, so he won’t get lost. He is happy that he has found another person that doesn’t treat him coldly. She seems like a nice girl and he has learned a lot about this place from her already.

Sunggyu lies down on his bed with a sigh. The sky outside has become dark, but there are no stars or a moon to be seen. It feels a bit empty, just like the sky during the day. He wraps the blanket around himself and closes his eyes. He has slept alone in bed for a long time, but for some reason it feels especially lonely today. Woohyun’s face pops up in his mind and Sunggyu jerks. Go away! I hate you!

“I regret saving you!”

He groans and presses his hands over his ears. The words still hurt. Sunggyu remembers the moment he had sunk deeper and deeper, his limbs slowly getting heavier while he lost consciousness, the fear, the helplessness – but then he had felt strangely safe and at peace, as if someone were holding him in his arms and protecting him from the darkness.

Sunggyu’s eyes snap open again and he stares at the ceiling. He puts a hand over his heart, feeling the fluttering heartbeat beneath his fingers. “Woohyun…why do you make me feel like this?”
 



Eunji wakes him up in the morning and takes him to the big hall again for breakfast. She’s still the only one treating him nicely, but Bom and Chorong join them at their table this time. The high priestess informs him of the daily duties novices have to do in this place. He is a novice too, because he hasn’t been here for very long. Sunggyu doesn’t really care anyways, because he still doesn’t want to stay. He is out of place here between all the females. It should be heaven for any man, but most of the women hate him and there is a shadow looming over him because his existence is a threat to this place.

Chorong tells him that it’s okay for him to take it slow. He doesn’t have to start working if he is not ready for it. Sunggyu doesn’t know if he will ever be ready. He just wants to go home. Eunji offers to show him around after they are done eating, but Sunggyu rejects her offer. He goes to explore the place on his own instead. The garden is big, stretching over the whole estate. The presence of water seems to be everywhere with rivers, fountains or – to Sunggyu’s dismay – sudden rain showers in some areas. It’s a beautiful place, far better than the village he is from, but Sunggyu feels lost here. He feels alone, probably because he is the only human here and the only one that didn’t voluntarily come here. Eunji is nice and Chorong feels like a motherly figure, but they are too different from him.

Sunggyu snaps out of his thoughts when he steps out of the garden. He finds himself between houses suddenly, familiar looking buildings. He blinks and looks back. The garden is still behind him and he feels like the trees are whispering to him, asking him to come back immediately. Sunggyu turns his head again and eyes the houses. His feet automatically move and the young man ventures through the new place. He doesn’t need long to recognize his own village, but there is not a soul here. It’s quiet, an almost dead silence if not for his footsteps. The atmosphere is eery, but his curiosity takes him up to his home.

It’s as empty as the rest of the village, but Sunggyu finds it in the way he still remembers. His empty cup is standing right where he left it. Am I back? Is this…my world? But why is no one here?

“This is not your home.” Sunggyu turns his head in shock and finds a woman at his doorsteps. Her clothes are pretty revealing compared to that of Woohyun’s servants. She smiles at him, but it sends a shiver down his spine instead of calming him. “But I could bring you home if you want to.”

The temptation to accept her offer is big, but Sunggyu is careful. “Who are you? Why would you help me?”

“The name is Hyuna. I’m a goddess from a different realm.” She introduces herself and steps into the house slowly. “I want to help you because I don’t want a human to die, just because Woohyun was silly enough to make that mistake. The old ones will not leave you alone if you are found. You are lucky that they haven’t caught you yet. Drowning will seem like a walk in the park compared to what they will do to you. If you die here, your soul won’t be able to ever reincarnate.”

He shudders at her words and his lips nervously. “But how? Chorong says it is impossible for me to return through the pond.”

She laughs. “Chorong is nothing but a servant. She knows nothing. Gods can step through the gates in both directions. You can pass through the gate if you trick it into thinking that you are a god.”

Sunggyu frowns. “Isn’t it impossible to trick it? Ch-“

“How did you get here? Didn’t you pass the gate despite not wanting to go? The gates are not perfect. They can be tricked. Are you going to believe a nobody like her or a goddess like me? Do you think she wants you to live? You are a danger to her and the people she cares for. None of those pretty priestesses will help you, when the old ones catch you and they will, trust me. They would be thankful to anyone killing you, before the old gods find out about Woohyun’s involvement.”

His fingers tremble and Sunggyu clenches his fists, trying to hide his fear. She is probably right. He doesn’t think anyone would help him. They hate him because he is a threat to their peaceful life. No one would care if he dies. “How can I trick the pond into thinking I’m a god?”

Hyuna smiles and steps in front of him. She pulls a little vial out. The liquid inside is clear, but of a slight rosy color. “Drink this before entering the pond, but be careful that no one sees it. It’s a magical potion and I probably don’t have to explain to you that its use is forbidden. The effect will wear off after a short amount of time, so you will return to being a normal human later.”

She puts it into his hands. Sunggyu turns the vial in his fingers. “Isn’t this dangerous for you? Helping me, I mean.”

Hyuna laughs again. “The old ones hate me anyways. I’m a troublemaker. One more crime on my list won’t make a difference. Can’t let a cute little human die here.”

The goddess winks at him and his cheek slowly with a finger. Sunggyu feels his cheeks grow warm. “Thank you.”

She smiles. “No need to thank me. Now go, before Woohyun notices that your presence is gone.”

And then she is gone as sudden as she came. Sunggyu stares at the vial once more, before he heads out of his house. He still thinks it’s a little weird that a goddess would want to help him, when the others tell him there is no way back, but he has no way of knowing who is lying. Knowing that someone is out to kill him – erase his very existence in this world – is frightening him and Sunggyu knows he doesn’t have much time to think. He needs to leave this world or he will die.

 

 

 

Woohyun doesn’t like visiting the oracle. There are several reasons. One of them being that the oracle knows everything. It knows more about you than you know yourself. No one can hide a secret from the oracle and although it is sworn to secrecy, no one would ever anger it and risk their secrets being revealed. The second reason – and probably the biggest – is that the oracle is Sungjong. He’s a nasty little fellow. Sungjong is clever and whoever makes the mistake of underestimating him won’t live very long. Woohyun knew the oracle that was in charge before Sungjong and she was a saint compared to him. The boy may seem young and inexperienced, but in the few hundred years of his work as an oracle, he has found a lot of loopholes in the rules that had been imposed on him. It’s no secret anymore that Sungjong has his ways to tell someone your secrets. That’s why no one dares to threaten him or ruin his mood. He may not be able to fight a war, but his words can cut you down before you can lift your sword.

Another reason for why the oracle is dangerous would be Myungsoo. He is the god of war, strong, fast and intelligent. It’s like they were made for each other with their dark, twisted minds. Their alliance is not a secret either and neither is the fact that they share a bed with each other every once in a while. If Sungjong can’t find a way to shut you up, then Myungsoo will. They are a dangerous combination and Woohyun likes to keep away from them. He’s not one of the weaker, lower gods, but Myungsoo is a force to be reckoned with, especially with an oracle pulling the strings.

He steps into the smaller temple and Woohyun is not surprised to find Sungjong in front of his altar, waiting for him with a bored expression. “You have kept me waiting. I thought you would come faster.”

“Couldn’t foresee when I would come, huh?” Woohyun replies dryly.

The boy glares at him. “I knew you would come and I know why you are here. Can’t say I’m happy to see you though.”

“Same here.”

Sungjong sits down on one of the stairs and crosses his legs with a smirk. “Now what has the great Woohyun to ask of me?”

“I thought you knew.” Woohyun growls.

“I want to hear it from your mouth, you know. It’s not any day that I can have you at my feet, begging for my help like a dog.” The oracle chuckles.

He glares at the younger. “You know what? Let’s just forget I ever came here.”

Woohyun turns around to walk away, but Sungjong’s voice stops him. “Stop right there. You’re no fun, seriously.”

He turns his head. The boy is standing again, staring at him with a cold gaze. “It seems like you will stop at nothing to save your pride. Haven’t enough people died because of your pride already? How many more, Woohyun? How many lives until you’re satisfied?”

The water god clenches his fists. The words hit him right where it hurts, but it’s no wonder because he is facing the oracle after all. Woohyun swallows. “Please give me your guidance, oracle.”

Sungjong raises an eyebrow and Woohyun goes to his knees with a scowl. “That’s better, Woohyun. If only the other gods could see how far you are going for some puny human.”

He stands up again. “That’s enough! Tell me about the boy! Why is he here and why is there some kind of connection between us?”

“Hmm…where to start?” Sungjong giggles and dances over to his altar. There is a big bowl filled with water. Woohyun can feel a connection to it, but with his powers he cannot use it. Only the oracle can see into their fates through the blessed water.

The boy turns to him again. “There are other worlds out there, Woohyun. Millions of different universes, so different and yet the same, all connected by the force we call fate. In every single one there is another you, another me, even another Sunggyu and so on. We exist in different places at the same time without ever knowing what our fate is somewhere else. Are we a king? Are we assassins? We don’t know. Even I can’t see past this border. It’s shrouded in mist and only fate has the power to play with these worlds. It decides who we are going to be, who we will love and how we will die. But you and Sunggyu, you are connected through all the different universes. I can see a red threat connecting all of your lives like a spider web. Your destinies are bound together in every single universe. Only fate has that power.”

“So we are destined to be together?” Woohyun asks. Sungjong’s words actually give him hope and in his heart he feels that his words are true. Sunggyu and he, they are bound together by a strong force and they won’t be able to escape from it.

“No.” Sungjong gives him a stern look and the god feels his heart drop. “It’s not a fortune that fate has bestowed on you. It’s a curse. You are destined to find each other, in every world, again and again, throughout the times, but you are to never be together. You will never have a happy ending – anywhere. You will fall for each other no matter what you do and the curse dooms Sunggyu to die if you are happy together. Fate has decided your destiny to be a sad one. I actually feel a little bad for you there.”

“Sunggyu…why?” He is terrified by the possibility of Sunggyu dying. How can this be their fate? To never have a happy ending together…

The oracle shrugs. “I don’t know. This curse is stronger than all the gods, but that my friend is what we call ‘fate’. You can’t defy it. If you continue to stay with Sunggyu, he will die and with that I don’t mean that he will hop around here like your little harem does. He will disappear in this world. You won’t get another chance, at least not in this universe.”

“B-But a curse? I’ve never done anything wrong.” Woohyun defends himself.

“Maybe not the ‘you’ here, but at some point another you made a mistake, somewhere, sometime, and fate was seemingly so pissed that you’re now doomed to unhappiness until the end of everything. Believe me, I’m curious to what could make fate so angry and I would tell you if I knew.”

He stares at the younger, trying to find out if he is speaking the truth or not. They are not friends and Sungjong is not obliged to help him, but what would he gain by telling this lie? Except for making Woohyun anxious, but the worst he could do is tell the old ones. They wouldn’t rest before Sunggyu disappears. Just the thought of losing him breaks Woohyun’s heart. He doesn’t know what he did wrong in the past, but he won’t let Sunggyu die.

“Is there a way to break the curse? I can’t avoid Sunggyu for long because he living in my realm and I know of no way to send him back.” Woohyun asks the oracle.

Sungjong smirks and the water god braces himself for his answer. “There is but one way. You won’t believe me if I tell you though.”

“What? What is it? Speak!”

The oracle clicks his tongue. “Forgetting your manners again, Woohyun?”

“I don’t have time for this!”

“You have to die. That’s all.” Sungjong speaks with a smile.

Woohyun laughs out loud. “Yeah, right, how convenient for you.”

The boy snickers. “True, the thought of ridding me of your annoying presence fills me with joy. Maybe fate likes me after all, but anyways, I’m speaking the truth. If you die first instead of Sunggyu, then a paradox occurs and the curse gets broken. I can show you proof of the curse. Maybe it will be easier for you to believe me then.”

He raises an eyebrow. “How? Who do I have to kill now?”

Please log in to read the full chapter