viii

Together

 

 

Two more days till Chung-Ang's music festival.

Five more days till the deadline of the contest So Eun and Junho were involved in.

Twelve more days till Chung-Ang's theatre and film department's play.

Students and staff of the university were all equally busy preparing for the public events. The music majored students were busy rehearsing, and so were the students majoring in theatre and film.

So Eun was once again trapped inside the university's theatre, watching Ara playing the role So Eun wanted to play. Sometimes, So Eun questioned the role of an understudy. Of course, being an understudy is important. If the actress is unwell on the day of the show, the understudy is the immediate backup. But throughout all her years here in Chung-Ang, Ara is never unwell. She will always be here for the play. The understudy of Ara's role seemed pretty useless in So Eun's opinion.

Whenever Ara speaks out a line, So Eun would do a mental check if it was right. She didn't even need to look at the script anymore, as she pretty much had everything memorised by now. She could even predict what line comes next. 

She wished Junho was with her, but she knew he was probably busy preparing for his music festival's performance. If Junho was with her, she could at least tolerate the rehearsal by listening to Junho whispering on how Ara can improve better.

Junho's friend, Taecyeon was involved in the play. In fact, he played a rather important role. He is, in fact, the male lead. Taecyeon is of music major, but he took theatre and film as a minor this year. 

During the break, Taecyeon came over to So Eun's seat and spoke to her.

"Hey, how's the song you and Junho are doing?" he asked while gulping down a bottle of water.

"It's going well," So Eun replied. "We are almost done actually."

"That's great," he remarked. "How's Junho? Has he raised his voice at you yet?" So Eun could tell that he was resisting for bursting into laughter at the last question.

"No, he hasn't," So Eun said, and she wouldn't even think Junho would.

Taecyeon could only grin at So Eun's answer. "Junho is kind of short-tempered, but he can control it when he has to," he said.

So Eun didn't know what to reply. In her eyes, Junho didn't seemed like a person with a short temper. Or is it that Junho was being extremely nice to her?

 


 

 "Oh? You are not practicing?" Chansung asked Junho. Chansung entered the practice room, hoping to find his phone that he had misplaced earlier. Not only did he found his phone, he also found Junho in the practice room with decent clothing, unlike his usual t-shirt and pants for dance practice. "I thought you always practice during this time."

"I am going to record the song," Junho simply replied while putting on his shoes.

"He is going to meet Kim So Eun," Taecyeon said when he entered the practice room. He grinned at Junho, and even wiggled his eyebrows.

"Ah, the song for the contest!" Chansung exclaimed when everything clicked in his mind.

Taecyeon plopped himself on the couch available in the practice room. "I talked to So Eun earlier today. It seems like you treat her very well."

Junho glared at his hyung. "What are you trying to say?"

"Ay, do I have to explain it?" Taecyeon complained.

"Hyung, do you like So Eun?" Chansung blurted out the question. Junho turned his hand to gaped at Chansung, while Taecyeon looked at the youngest one with wide eyes. They certainly didn't know Chansung was that curious.

"Well, I don't dislike her," Junho admitted.

"That's not the answer we want," Taecyeon pointed out.

"I got to go," Junho quickly said and took his backpack along. "It's not good to make the lady wait for you."

When Junho walked out the room, Taecyeon and Chansung could only scoffed. 

"Yup, he definitely likes her."

 


 

It was the first time So Eun had seen and been in a recording studio. She never knew Chung-Ang has one. And now that she is finally seeing it, she never knew she would be in love with a recording studio. From the carpeted floor, to the sound proof wall, to the recording equipments behind the glass... she loved it all.

While So Eun was admiring every inch of the recording studio, Junho was preparing for the recording. He was inside the recording room, putting his headphone on. He placed the lyrics written by So Eun on the music stand in front of him.

"So Eun-ssi, if you are ready, we can start the recording," Ye Eun, the sound engineer for the day, and also one of Junho's acquaintances, said.

"Yes, please do," So Eun said feeling flustered. She must have looked strange to Ye Eun. She took the seat next to Ye Eun and her copy of the lyrics were spread out in front of her.

"Alright, Junho-ssi, we will start recording now," Ye Eun said while pressing down a button that allows Junho to listen to the voices outside the recording room.

Junho nodded and paid his full attention on the music he composed he heard through his headphones. Right on cue, he started singing the words to the music. So Eun watched and listened to Junho all the way. She felt that Junho sang the song perfectly. There were never any instances whereby So Eun needed to stop him and correct him. He knew exactly how to sing the song. Maybe it is perhaps Junho was always around when she wrote the lyrics. He already knew how to present the emotion across.

Before she knew it, Junho had put down his headphones and Ye Eun had halt the recording. 

"Wow, that was good," Ye Eun told So Eun. So Eun simply nodded in return. 

"So Eun, is it okay?" Junho asked through his microphone in the room. "Do you want me to record again? Any mistakes?"

"No, it's fine," So Eun said while Ye Eun held down the speaker button. "At least to me it is."

Junho chuckled at her timid response. "Well, I want to record it again. Just to make sure it's fine. Ye Eun-ssi?"

"Okay. Recording starts in 5, 4, 3..."

 


 

"Kim So Eun, why didn't you tell me you are involved in such a contest?" Ara asked with the flyer about the contest in her hand. They were in the lecture hall for History of Art, and it was obvious Ara didn't care about the lecture that was going on.

 "You didn't ask," So Eun simply replied. She scribbled some notes down. 

"Music writing! I didn't know you are into music! No wonder you asked for Junho's number," Ara said in a softer voice. "You chose the right person though. I heard Junho is a musical genius."

He is, So Eun wanted to say, but she decided to keep that fact to herself.

"Good luck for the contest," Ara said. "I do hope you can win."

 


 

Usually So Eun wouldn't even bother to show up for music festivals. But now that she is somewhat involved in the field, and she was also somewhat invited by Junho, she decided to show up. 

Oh yes. How could she forget? Since Ara found out So Eun was into music, Ara had asked her to accompany her to the music festival. Apparently, Ara wanted to watch the noon concert that features some band formed by students of Chung-Ang. According to Ara, the band members are too adorable and irresistable. Who knew Ara is this kind of person?

So Eun was standing in the crowd of screaming girls and was trying to make out the words the lead singer was singing amidst the screaming. She took a glance at Ara who was softly singing along. So Eun could tell Ara wanted to scream and shout like those fangirls, but Ara somehow couldn't bring herself to do it. So Eun deduced that she didn't knew Ara much at all, despite the years of battling for the same role together.

"You know, sometimes I question about my identity," Ara said when both of them were walking together to find a drink stall. 

"I question about it too," So Eun admitted, which made Ara laughed.

"Go Ara, Chung-Ang's first class actress who does theatre with poshly. I am stuck with that image," Ara said. "Sometimes, I don't want to be that Go Ara. I want to do things unposhly."

"Really?" So Eun asked in bewilderment. 

Ara nodded. "I know it's unbelievable but yes, I want to break free from that image."

 


 

 

;)