i

Together

 

 

So Eun was slapped so hard that she could feel her cheek stung. Her eyes were immediately filled with tears. She reached for her redden cheeks and felt its heat beneath her touch. 

"H-how could you?" So Eun questioned the man in front of her. 

The man scoffed. "How could I? You threaten my girlfriend to death just so you can win over me!"

So Eun averted her sight.

"I know you don't like to lose," the man continued. "But this is going too far."

"B-but..."

"No more, So Eun," he said firmly. "Don't ever let me see you again."

So Eun's eyes were slowly filled with tears as she watched the man walked further away. She let out a scream of frustration. She was so close to having him! 

 

Then, So Eun was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard the sound of clapping. 

"That's great So Eun!" Her drama lecturer, Miss Jo said. So Eun could only restrained herself from not jumping out of joy from Miss Jo's praise. So Eun bowed and went down the stage.

She was auditioning for her university's new play. Ever since she was accepted in her dream university, Chung-Ang, her ultimate goal is to star in a play. But it has been a year of auditioning for various play, and she was never offered the starring role. 

Everytime the judges would say she did a great job. Everytime her friends would say she will get the role for sure. Everytime her lecturers would praise So Eun for her excellent acting skills. But how come she never succeeded?

Some might say that So Eun should be grateful that at least she got some other roles in the play, but So Eun was no longer a freshman. 

So Eun is as equally well-known as her rival, Go Ara.

Ara has been So Eun's rival ever since they started as freshman. Ara has the looks and the talent. Ara is charismatic. Even her name has a nice ring to it. Ara has been snatching starring roles ever since she was born. She was born an actress. Even if she wasn't, she could be a model.

So Eun is just Kim So Eun. The second best actress. 

However, it was not like So Eun hates Ara. They get along well. It was just that sometimes it is hard to be happy around Ara when Ara has been getting what So Eun had been working hard for.

For the current audition as well, Ara was there. She did her part right after So Eun's and received more claps and praises from the audience. Sometimes, So Eun wondered if being good-looking is all there is to life. 

 


 

Junho was in the library, as usual. Books on music arrangement and composition spread across the table. He also had a few books on Korean literature by the side. He was really studying hard.

As he was concentrating on the contents of the books, whispers from a group of girls behind him caught his attention.

"Have you heard of the boys in the music club?"

"I heard that all of them have abs! Oh my God!"

"Minjun oppa's voice is so good!"

"Oh, there is Taecyeon! I have heard him speak! He can speak English! How cool is that?"

"Please. Wooyoung's the cutest there."

"Hey don't forget Chansung. He is hot!"

"And Nickhun! Oh my goodness! Did you know he is from Thailand?"

Junho shook his head. He was grateful that his friends are receiving so much attention, but sometimes too much attention isn't always the best.

"There is one more person right? One more person that always hangs around them?"

"I can't remember his name."

"But he has such a common face though."

Junho felt hundreds of arrows pierced through his body. He knew he was not as outstanding as his other friends, but what he had just heard really hurt his pride. It wasn't like it was his first time hearing things like this. Junho thought that it would be nice if he was remembered for once.

That is why he took up music composition as an elective. He wanted to excel in something his other friends did not. 

 


 

"Here, please take one."

So Eun was handed a piece of flyer. She took it and smiled to the person who gave it to her. Then, when she took a look at the flyer, she felt her heart skipped a beat. 

It was a contest to create a song.

The requirements are that two person has to be involved in song-making process. It has to be a male and a female. One of them composes, while the other writes the lyrics. 

So Eun has always been a fan of music. It's just that she never had the chance to learn any musical instruments. She blamed it on her strong will in pursuing acting and never made time to harness some other talent.

However, So Eun has always been interested in writing. She writes poems now and then, but she never show it to anyone. 

Maybe it's time for Kim So Eun to do something else rather than hiding behind the shadows of Go Ara. She bet Ara will never thought of entering this contest. Last time So Eun checked, Ara promised to solely devote her life to acting. 

So Eun kept the flyer in her bag. 

She is going to show the world that she is more than just a budding actress who is constantly pushed away because of Ara's existence.

She is going to be lyricist.

 


 

In order to a part of the contest, she had to find a male who can compose first. She walked towards the music department in the university. If she needed to find a musical gifted person, she has to go there and look.

She passed by a few lecture rooms and classrooms, but she couldn't hear anyone belting out high notes or strumming guitar strings. She started to wonder if everyone in the music department decides to not to showcase their talent just so she wouldn't be able to find a partner.

She frowned at the thought of it.

However, just then, she heard the sound of piano. She backtracked her steps and tried to locate the exact room the pianist is at. She pulled back some of her brown hair to the back of her ears for better hearing. 

"This one!" So Eun exclaimed softly when she stopped in front of a music room at the corner of the block. The sound of the piano soothed So Eun, even though she had no idea what song it was.

Then, a soothing voice followed. So Eun was taken aback by the voice. It was the voice of a male. She made a little victory dance in her head. 

She reached for the doorknob, but hesitated to turn it. His voice is so nice that she didn't want to interrupt it. She also didn't want to blew her chance of getting a composer. 

When the person finally finished, So Eun took a deep breath, knocked the door and twisted the doorknob.

"Hello," So Eun greeted. 

Her eyes met with a pair of beautiful eyes. Not to mention, beautiful face too. 

"Hi, uhm, I am Kim So Eun," she said. 

The man stood up from his seat and bowed lightly. He seemed surprised to see her. So Eun mentally slapped herself. She must have scared the soul out of him.

"I just heard your piano-playing and singing," So Eun continued. "And it was really good!"

The man chuckled. So Eun died a little when she witnessed the charming eye-smile that appeared.

"So... I was wondering if you had heard of the contest whereby a male and a female get together to produce a song?" So Eun asked.

The man nodded. "Yeah, I've heard of it."

So Eun smiled. "I was wondering if you would like to join the contest with me. I, the lyricist. You, the composer."

The man raised his eyebrow. 

"Please, please," So Eun pleaded softly. 

"Okay okay," he said while laughing softly. "I will do it."

So Eun felt her entire lit up. "Thank you so much....uh..."

"Junho," the man finished for her. "Lee Junho."

 


 

 

 

 

And so, let the journey begin. :)