iii

Together

 

 

"Before we start, please let me say something," So Eun said. She took a deep breath and let whatever words come to her mind out of . "I am so sorry for asking you to do this with me out of the blue. I mean, we are not friends or anything. We don't even know each other, and I, being the desperate one decided to pick you. I didn't even give you time to think about it. If you want to back out now, I completely understand."

So Eun let out a deep breath. She looked up to meet Junho's eyes. She was serious about what she had said, but when Junho's stunned face appeared before her, she lost her composure and laughed out loud.

Junho, upon hearing So Eun's laugh, loosen up. "Whoa, I didn't know you can rap," he joked.

So Eun's laugh gradually died down. 

"Even if you didn't ask me, I would join the contest anyway," Junho said. "So, let's just carry on."

"Well then, I would like to start over," So Eun said. She put down her stuff on the nearest table and extended her hand. "Hello, I am Kim So Eun, majoring in Theater and Film."

Junho smiled. "Nice to meet you. I am Lee Junho, Music Studies."

 


 

"OST are usually ballads, aren't they?" So Eun pondered around the genre of OST for ten minutes now. She was sitting down in the couch with her tablet on her lap. Junho, on the other hand, was on the piano, playing some random music.

"Yes, ballads," Junho said.

"But there could be some other genre too," So Eun pointed out.

"True, but majority of OSTs are ballads," Junho replied. 

So Eun nodded. What Junho said was undeniably true. She had watched so many dramas in her life, and 99% of them features ballad songs. She blamed the typical K-drama plots that revolves around heartbreaks and unrequited love.

"So... do you have any of your writings you can show me?" Junho asked.

So Eun faked a laugh. "You... might not want to read it..."

"Hey, I am entering this competition with you," he said. "I have to know what you can do!"

"Okay okay, but promise you won't laugh," So Eun said and tossed Junho one of her notebooks. She wasn't lying when she said she didn't want Junho to read her writings. She wasn't good enough. She didn't take literature classes or anything like that. She just writes whatever she wants. Now, her unprofessional writings are being read by a music majored student. Junho probably had taken lyrics writing classes. So Eun was prepared to be criticized. 

"It's... not bad," Junho said when he finished reading a few of So Eun's poems. 

"It's not?" So Eun questioned. 

"Yes, I am being honest here," Junho said. "You might not write like Shakespeare or whatnot, but by reading your poems, I could tell your emotions, which is very good. That's what lyrics are all about."

So Eun felt turned into a smile. It felt good to receive genuine compliments. She hadn't receive any for the past few years.

"Thanks," she said and gave Junho a smile. 

"Okay, so let's get to work," Junho said as he put down her notebook on the top of the piano. "Let's discuss what kind of emotion we want to potray in our song."

 


 

After spending what seemed like an eternity in the music room, Junho and So Eun finally decided to call it a day. Junho recorded a rough demo of their song. It wasn't complete yet, since it's just Junho's singing random words all the way. So Eun needed time to really write the lyrics of heartbreaking romantic relationships.

"Wow, it's already 8 p.m.," So Eun pointed out when she saw the time on her phone. "We must had worked very hard."

"We did," Junho said as he waited for So Eun to pack up. "I say we are halfway done, and we have two more weeks till deadline."

"We are so efficient, aren't we?" So Eun said and laughed.

"We are going to win this thing," Junho said with much confidence.

As the both of them exited the music room, Junho realized something rather important. "So Eun, how are you going home?"

"Oh, maybe I will catch the bus or something," So Eun replied nonchalantly.

"I will drive you home then," Junho said.

"Is it okay? I mean, I don't want to trouble you," she said.

"Of course it's okay," Junho said. "If not, I wouldn't offer to drive you home."

"That's true enough," So Eun said while laughing.

One thing Junho had realized is how So Eun is always so bright. Even if she is stressed out, she could shake it off fast and regain her cheerfulness. Her eyes are bright, and so is her smile. Junho thought that it was rather impossible for someone to be so bright, but he finally found someone that could prove him wrong.

Before sending So Eun home, Junho invited her for dinner. So Eun agreed almost immediately, saying that she was starving. She did muttered something about her mother might have cooked and was waiting for her at home, but she shrugged it off and said she would give her mum a call. Junho could only chuckle at So Eun's little rambling. It was rather cute.

They arrived at a restaurant that is not too far from So Eun's home. It also turns out Junho only lived 10 minutes drive away from So Eun's.

"What made you decide to enter the competition?" Junho asked while pouring water into So Eun's cup.

So Eun rested her head on her hand. "Hmm? I want to try to do something different for once... What about you?"

"I've been composing for a year now," he admitted. "This competition is the only way I can know if I can achieve anything important."

"You certainly can," So Eun said. "You are very good!" 

Junho could only blush from her compliments. 

"Unlike me, who is constantly overshadowed by Go Ara," she slowly admitted.

Junho looked up and tried to look for eyes. The usual bright eyes were dimmed by the painful fact that she was always not good enough. Junho wanted to ask more. He wanted to know why she hadn't be able to snatch any leading roles. He wanted to know why Ara was so special that nobody could make her step down. He wanted to know why So Eun still wants to stay behind Go Ara.

But he couldn't. He just knew So Eun, and he couldn't just ask her about these things. It may brought up some personal issues that she may not be comfortable talking about. Junho certainly didn't want things to get awkward between them. He will just wait till when So Eun wants to reveal it herself.

"Junho, I am wondering, you are a year younger than me right? And you are not calling me noona?" So Eun's eyes brighten up again with this question.

The both of them got to know each others' birthdate when they were registering for the competition. "I am an early 90-er. I am considered your friend," Junho reasoned.

"You really don't want to call me noona, do you?" So Eun asked with a smirk on her face.

Junho laughed. "But I am friends with all 89-ers. It will be odd to only call you noona."

So Eun scoffed. "Fine, fine. We are friends then."

 


 

The next day after all her classes, So Eun walked towards the music room. The music room sort of became the place where she can meet Junho. She wondered why there was always no classes going on in that room.

She spent the entire night yesterday writing. She also spent the entire morning listening to Junho's demo. Part of it was to get more lyrics out of her brain, another part of it was to listen to his voice. All of the sudden, she had a sudden obsession with his voice.

She texted Junho earlier in the day that she wanted to show him some of her drafts. 

When she reached the music room, she stopped moving. Through the small window, she could spot Junho's back and another man. When the other man turned around, she almost dropped all of her things on the ground.

Isn't that Park Jin Young? 

 


 

 

More of a filler. Just to clarify some things.

Oh? JYP? :O