vi

Together

 

 

"Oh, what are these?" So Eun asked Junho while holding up a stack of envelopes of different sizes that she found on the backseat. 

Junho took a glance at what So Eun was holding before focusing back on the road. "Oh, those. I received them yesterday from-"

"Your fans?" So Eun cut in, when she saw how girlish some envelopes are, and how most of them were all addressed to Junho oppa, with a heart. 

"Yeah, fans," Junho nodded as he switched lanes. 

"I see someone is getting rather popular these days," So Eun said.

"Ah, it's nothing," Junho said. "Compared to the other guys, I am not that popular."

"Well, you did say you can do well without practice... For you to be able to say that, I can't believe you are so humble," So Eun teased. 

Junho could only scoffed. Then, suddenly he hit the brake a bit too quickly causing the car to halt abruptly. He extended his right hand to block So Eun from falling front too much. "Sorry," he muttered. "The car in front stopped all of the sudden."

"It's okay," So Eun said. She took a glance at Junho who was focusing on the road again. She felt her cheeks getting warmer when she realized what Junho did. What a gentleman.

 


 

"We are finally here!" So Eun exclaimed when she got down from the car. It has been quite a long drive. It was so long that Junho stopped at rest stops twice, and So Eun even fell asleep in the car. She felt bad for falling asleep. She was sure Junho was tired too, and watching his passenger sleeping must be quite tempting.

"Are we camping?" Junho asked in bewilderment when he saw the forest ahead. 

So Eun turned to him and smiled slyly. 

"We are? Why didn't you tell me earlier? I didn't bring any camping materials!" Junho said in panic.

So Eun laughed. "Don't worry, I have everything prepared." She opened the boot of Junho's car to reveal one of her large bags. "There are tents already assembled in the forest. It's not a very thick forest anyway. I heard from my friend, who is from Jeonju, that this place is specifically for tourists or anyone who wants a nature getaway destination."

Junho could only nod in admiration. "I see you have done quite a wonderful job in researching."

"Thank you," So Eun said. "But, I am not sure if you are okay with camping... and I want to keep this a surprise... I am sorry if this isn't to your liking."

Junho shook his head. "It's fine," he said. "I don't dislike camping. Instead, I am surprised a girl like you enjoys camping." He helped So Eun carried some of her bags, and when they were sure they left nothing behind, they walked towards the forest.

"Don't stereotype people," So Eun said as she stepped into the forest. 

"Yes, now I know," Junho said with a chuckle. Besides paying attention to the path ahead, he also paid attention to So Eun's footsteps. He was worried that she would trip or lose her stability on the uneven ground. 

"I love the nature, really," So Eun said. "It has a calming effect."

Junho could hear the birds chirping, the sound of cicadas, and even the sound of branches snapping in half due to the other campers around. To his amazement, the camp site is beautiful. The tents of the other campers were so far apart and it made each campers felt like they had the forest to their own. It was rather peaceful.

Just then, he heard a gasp coming from near him. His hand automatically gripped So Eun's arm to stabilized her. 

"Are you okay?" he asked.

So Eun let out a breath of relief. "Yeah, I am fine. Thanks."

"Careful. You could have twisted your ankle," Junho added.

 


 

Together with the absolutely tempting smell from the grilling meat on the barbeque stove, Junho and So Eun sat down in their tent trying to perfect their song. Junho threw in some of his opinions on So Eun's choice of words, and also helped her in further understanding of writing lyrics. So Eun admitted that Junho was kind of demanding, but when she went through the end result, the lyrics sounded better, so she really shouldn't complain.

"Here, open your mouth," Junho said while holding a piece of grilled meat with his chopsticks.

So Eun did as she was told. In the back of her head, she wondered when did they got this close. So close to the extent, Junho was feeding her. Even her own best friends don't feed her.

"Thanks," she mumbled with the meat still in .

The sun was setting when their dinner was finished. The smell of the grilled meat was still lingering around their camp site. So Eun and Junho had their sleeping bags laid out on the tent's floor, and they were lying on it. The bonfire created by them were roaring with life outside of their tent. Both of them were staring into the night sky, and being completely in awe with the amount of visible stars in the sky. 

"Jin Young hyung is right," Junho said. "We need a trip like this."

So Eun smiled. "You're right." She was happy that she chose the right location. Camping in mother nature is certainly the best choice. If they were in the city, would they have the chance to stare into the starry night sky?

"How's your practice going?" So Eun asked.

"It's good," Junho replied. "You'd better come and watch me next week."

So Eun laughed. "It sounded like a threat, but I will come."

"And as for your play, maybe I should not go," Junho said. "You are not in it anyway."

"Am I supposed to feel happy, or sad that you are not supporting my department's play?" So Eun joked.

Junho turned around so he can look at So Eun. "Is becoming a lyricist your way out? Because Ara isn't here to compete with you?"

"Yes," So Eun admitted. She was still looking at the sky, unaware of Junho who had turned to look at her. "But, it is also a way of, perhaps, finding something I am good at, besides acting."

"You've trained all your life to become an actress," Junho pointed out.

"True," she said. "It is my dream to become an actress, to be a part of amazing stage plays, to play a different character..."

"Are you going let Go Ara stop you for achieving that?" 

So Eun closed her eyes. She wondered why is Junho always the one who questions her. It wasn't a bad thing. It was just rather strange to have a guy you just met for a few weeks trying to make sense out of your thoughts. It was like she met Junho just so she can sort ut her thoughts. Maybe Junho is the one who is going to save So Eun from drowning in her own negative thoughts.

"Don't you think we all have perceived Ara to be the bad person here?" So Eun said and laughed a little. "Ara is really not that bad. She is really talented. I truly think she is better than me. Maybe it's me who never had the courage to step up to her. Maybe it's me who caused myself to be dubbed second best actress."

"So you knew," Junho said which made So Eun turned to look at him.

"I am constantly overshadowed by my other friends too," Junho said. "I am never as good as them. But I work hard anyway, believing that one day, I will be acknowledged for my own talents. I don't want to be like my other friends. I just want to be known as me."

"And you've succeed," So Eun pointed out.

"And so can you, Kim So Eun," Junho added with a smile.

 


 

The next morning, So Eun woke up hearing a familiar song. Instantly, she knew it was the song that Junho and her wrote. She looked to the other sleeping bag and noticed Junho was gone. And so was his guitar.

So Eun zipped up her jacket and wandered through the forest. By listening to Junho's voice, she got closer and closer to the man himself. She could only see his back. He was sitting on one of the thick tree roots while facing the waterfall. So Eun thought it was rather a beautiful sight, you know, to see a pretty boy with a pretty voice singing a pretty sad song with nature surrounding him.

She stood a few feet behind him, afraid of disturbing him. She wanted him to finish the song. She wanted to hear more of his voice.

Last night, the talk with Junho had certainly cleared some dark clouds in So Eun's head. Just like Junho, maybe she can try to be better. She couldn't just give up on being an actress. It was her dream. It is her dream.

Then, she heard the last note of the song sung by Junho. She perked up and gave him an applause.

"Oh, morning So Eun," Junho turned to look at her. Then, he smiled. "I think our song is done."

Our song. So Eun thought it had a nice ring to it.

 


 

 

 

Sorry that it took so long. Was having quite a writer's block.

Thank you for all your encouraging words. :)