xi

Together

 

 

"This weekend is our opening night! Aren't you guys excited?" Miss Jo, the lecturer in charge of our play. She also serves as the director for the play, said with enthusiasm. She had bright eyes and red wavy hair. Her choice of clothing is so vibrant that it is hard to miss her walking through the hallways. She had gathered all the students involved in the play for a short meeting before rehearsal starts.

Ara coughed beside So Eun. Then, Ara coughed again.

"Are you okay?" So Eun asked Ara.

She coughed before answering. "I am alright. I think I might have caught a cold," she said.

"You? Go Ara? Caught a cold?" So Eun questioned. For her entire freshmen year with Ara, Ara has never been sick. Even if she had, it wasn't as terrible as what So Eun heard today. 

"I am human too, you know," Ara said and nudged So Eun with her elbow. 

"But it doesn't prevent you from playing this weekend right?" So Eun asked.

"Hopefully not," Ara replied and it was just in time that Miss Jo called her over. "If not, my parents would kill me."

 


 

So Eun went to the resource centre in her campus during her break. She requested for a computer so she could get access to the internet, and hopefully get what she wanted. She searched for Go Ara's parents.

She was right. Go Ara's parents are all over the Internet. Each and every article that pops up is about the success of the Go's family.

"Stalking your rival?" The familiar voice questioned behind her. She knew immediately it was Junho. He took the empty seat next to her. He didn't switch on the computer on his side, he just stared at So Eun's computer screen instead.

"I just want to know more about her family," So Eun answered. It turns out her parents are the current CEO of an entertainment company and they have connections all around the world.

"Everyone knows her parents are rich," Junho said. "I saw them once. They were walking around my block with the head of department. They wore fancy suit and dress. They look totally like those rich people from TV dramas. They have unfriendly faces too."

"Really," So Eun said. 

Junho nodded. "It must be hard to live in such a high-profile family. All those expectations they have of you..."

So Eun let all those information sink in. Although she spent an entire year battling Ara, she never knew where Ara came from. Now that she knew who her parents are, maybe there is a reason to why Ara has been snatching main roles and wanting to break free from her image.

Maybe there is a lot to Ara that So Eun doesn't know.

 


 

Junho stayed behind in campus till the sun sets. He had assignments to complete, so he spent his hours in the library. Ever since his performance in the music festival, plenty of girls had been paying attention to him. There were even girls who would offer their free time just to complete his assignment. As tempting as it sounds, he wouldn't want cheat his way out of university.

Besides, he has his eyes on So Eun anyway.

Speaking of her, Junho found her extremely stressed nowadays. Perhaps it is because of the upcoming stage play. But she isn't even playing, why would she be stressed about it? Maybe she is stressed because she is not playing?

Girls are complicated, Junho thought.

He drove out of the campus and into the highway. He needed to get back home and rest. He knew So Eun lives ten minutes drive away from his house, and everytime he would passed by her area. Then, he remembered he needed something from a convenience store, so he stopped by So Eun's area. He parked his car in front of the 24 hours convenience store and went in to pick up a few packets of ramen. What is student life without instant noodles?

As he exited the store, he spotted a few drunkards loitering around. He glanced at his watch. It was not even 10 p.m. and they were already drunk. He watched as the drunkards walked into an alleyway before unlocking his car. He was keeping an eye on the alleyway for some reason that he wasn't even sure of. He had a bad feeling about it. 

Just then, he heard a voice. It was just for a while, but he could recognize that voice from anywhere. As he listened closely, he could make out muffled screams. He tossed his bag of ramens into his car quickly. He locked his car and walked as fast as possible to the alleyway. He didn't want to run and make those drunkards nervous. If they are nervous, there is a possibility of them killing the girl on the spot.

Once he reached the alleyway, he hid at the corner. It was dark and given the fact that they were not sane, the drunkards couldn't see him. However, Junho could see them well, and he could see her. The girl that he could recognize anywhere. So Eun.

She was cornered by a drunkard. His hand was touching her face while had his other hand covering . But So Eun kept moving, trying to break free from them. Then, the drunkard held up his empty beer bottle, preparing to smash it on her head. Junho ran and quickly stopped the drunkard's hand from moving any further. 

"I'm going to call the police," Junho said to him in a threatening way. The drunkard laughed and shrugged off from Junho's grasp. The drunkard shook his head and walked further away from them in his drunk state. 

He heard So Eun sighed in relief.

"Who in the world taught you to walk alone in a dark alleyway at night?" Junho snapped at her. 

So Eun averted her gaze. "No one in particular," she muttered. "Sorry."

Junho sighed. He knew he can't stay mad at her for long, but he was worried. "Come, let's get you home. You are riding in my car."

 


 

It was rather a quiet ride in Junho's car. So Eun's house from the convenience store isn't far, but the silence made it felt like her house is a few miles away. She stole a few glances at the driver. He was obviously mad at her, So Eun could tell. She just thought she would fine walking home. It was just her luck to bump into the drunk guy. She knew she should be more careful. But she was secretly happy that Junho was the one who saved her. 

After one minute of silence, which felt like ten minutes long for So Eun, Junho spoke.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Junho asked.

So Eun almost choked on her own saliva. What's with the question?

"R-right now? No," she answered.

"Good," he said. "Because I think, you and I should go out together. You know, perhaps catch a movie or dinner..."

"Are you always so direct about things like this?" So Eun cut in. 

"Maybe," Junho said, his eyes on the road. "But really, I am serious."

So Eun knew he was. Junho wasn't the type to joke around about stuff like that. She should be overjoyed by the fact that Junho was asking her out, but for some reason, she couldn't say a word to him. It was just a simple yes or no question, but So Eun couldn't even answer immediately.

Just then, as they reach So Eun's home, she found someone rather familiar by the entrance. A Lamborghini was parked by the entrance and So Eun immediately knew the answer to that. She saw Go Ara looked rather ill right in front of her apartment. Even by the way she walked, Ara looked like she was about to collapse anytime.

"Isn't that Go Ara?" Junho questioned when his headlights shone on the human figure. His question confirmed that So Eun wasn't hallucinating. 

What is she doing here? So Eun thought.

 


 

 

 

 

 

Hmm an update after a long time. Sorry about that. Was having a bit of an writer's block.